• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Great thank you.Ahh yes Sutton bank once got stuck there in a clapped out old transit van trying to pull a mini digger/trailer road signs and barriers up there.
Told my boss it wouldn’t do it

I've been to Snake Pass, from Nottingham, when it was snowing. Made it to a pub about half way but decided that if we were to get through, we'd have a nightmare getting back!

Popped down to the Frankland on NYE to say hello and my daughter in law told me an interesting thing.

Apparently one of their customers had a couple of children and these two girls were playing around in the bar while their parents did whatever they were doing. The littlest girl then said to my daughter in law (whose name is Zoe, which is much shorter and easier to type than 'daughter in law, so she will be Zoe, henceforth), 'the little girl's name is Lucy.' Apart from her and her sister, there were no other little girls present.

They had previously been told by someone else that the ghost girl was called Lucy...

'Ghost dog' had apparently been shaking his collar in the flat the night before. I suspect this noise might be due to something else, something structural, but don't want to put Zoe off telling me any more. 'Harry' in the bar threw something off the wall too. They know nothing about the history of the pub, although Zoe was telling me about a pub that apparently used to be opposite, where there is now a housing estate. The woman who owned it (a redoubtable female by the sound of it) used to drive her horse and trap up to Middlesbrough every week to fetch her beer supplies. Oh, and there was a children's home next door, where all the children used to file past the pub on their way to church on Sundays.

Morning catseye wow starting already at the pub.
Are they a bit freaked out and scared or made of sterner stuff than me please keep reporting the stories when you are told them
Well, they've only been in the pub since September, so it's all new to them, so every incident is worth remembering at the moment. It will wear off when it becomes commonplace.

They are not the least freaked out. I don't think my son is a 'believer' particularly, he's very hard headed and not easily upset (he's a publican, after all). Zoe is more easily scared, but, to be honest, they are so busy at the moment that they are either awake and in the bar, or upstairs and asleep!

Many years ago my dad used to be heavily involved at Capenhurst Sports & Social Club which was a typical 60s single storey building.
One evening he came home and said that during the committee meeting (held after customers had left) that the group had seen a male figure dressed like a Cavalier standing in the bar area, who quickly vanished. The club has long since been demolished.
Capenhurst is a very old village just outside Chester. The club Secretary, Joe also had an experience in his house in the village. In the middle of the day, he and his wife suddenly heard loud banging noises coming from upstairs. They went up to to see their double back rocking up and down. They called for their German Shepherd dog to come out from under it, only to discover she wasn't there.
I remember hearing a story that Capenhurst Lane was haunted by a coach and horses but haven't seen it in print.

Many years ago my dad used to be heavily involved at Capenhurst Sports & Social Club which was a typical 60s single storey building.
One evening he came home and said that during the committee meeting (held after customers had left) that the group had seen a male figure dressed like a Cavalier standing in the bar area, who quickly vanished. The club has long since been demolished.
Capenhurst is a very old village just outside Chester. The club Secretary, Joe also had an experience in his house in the village. In the middle of the day, he and his wife suddenly heard loud banging noises coming from upstairs. They went up to to see their double back rocking up and down. They called for their German Shepherd dog to come out from under it, only to discover she wasn't there.
I remember hearing a story that Capenhurst Lane was haunted by a coach and horses but haven't seen it in print.
Thanks for posting, really intriguing.

From member @RuthRoperWylde would like these

I'm back down there tomorrow, having a book launch party. I'll float the idea of using the pub for a Get Together and possible ghost hunt and see what they say!
Probably a bit too far from Chelmsford for me, but I hope it happens for you guys and you get a good night out of it.
If you invite the right people it may drum up some business for your son.

I always work from home on Friday’s, and always walk to my allegedly haunted village pub for a Sandwich and a pint.

Last Friday however, I did something that I haven’t done before. Instead of walking to the pub, eat drink, then walk back home again to continue working, I decided to take my laptop to the pub with me, and spend the entire afternoon working from there instead. A slippery slope I hear you all say – Perhaps, Possibly, Maybe, probably, definitely!!! lol.

Anyway, before left I made sure that my laptop was fully 100% charged, packed it into it's case and set off. Got there, ordered a beer and a sandwich, sat down, set the laptop up and starting to work. About 15 minutes went by, and I got a warning telling me that I only had 8% left of battery life.

That’s never happened before. When this laptop is fully charged, it’s very slow to run down when not plugged into the wall – literally hours and hours.

Bloody spooks and battery drains. You hear this all the time in allegedly haunted buildings – I had no choice but to finish my beer and sandwich and walk back home again to plug the laptop back in.

That's what my Village pub is called strangle enough - the Bell. Common pub name I suppose
I've always wanted to go to the Bell Inn at Stilton- which is also haunted- allegedly by, er you;

In 1962, after a new landlord moved into the pub, he reportedly asked locals about a 'strange atmosphere' in one of the bedrooms.

He claimed that a fire had suddenly ignited in the room, seemingly without being lit. This, he was told, was the room Dick Turpin slept in. Turpin has also reportedly been seen riding through the nearby street on horseback.

Some guests at the Bell have even claimed to have woken up early in the morning to find a dark figure standing at the foot of their bed.

The inn is also apparently frequented by the ghost of famous writer Daniel Defoe, best known as the author of Robinson Crusoe. Defoe is said to have stayed at the inn a number of times between 1697 and 1701.

In 1724, he wrote in his treatise 'A tour thro’ the whole island of Great Britain': "We pass’d Stilton, a town famous for cheese, which is call’d our English Parmesan, and is brought to table with the mites, or maggots round it, so thick, that they bring a spoon with them for you to eat the mites with, as you do the cheese.”

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/dick-turpin-bell-inn-stilton-20500792

Back