• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There's a pub in Fleetwood "The Royal Oak" a proper old worldly pub,
that should be haunted but I have never heard anything, known locally
as "The Dead-uns " this is due to nearly every section of seating was a
shrine to dead regulars, with plaques and photos of old blokes from the past.
It was closed for a refit a wile back so not sure if this is still the case
but you would think there was a good chance of a spook or two.

Edit The ferry cafe next to the lifeboat station on the other hand as a ghost of a bloke that walks across the room and into the lady’s bog and is also seen inside though I haven’t seen him I have talked to people that have.

Last edited:
Last Friday however, I did something that I haven’t done before. Instead of walking to the pub, eat drink, then walk back home again to continue working, I decided to take my laptop to the pub with me, and spend the entire afternoon working from there instead. A slippery slope I hear you all say – Perhaps, Possibly, Maybe, probably, definitely!!! lol.

Anyway, before left I made sure that my laptop was fully 100% charged, packed it into it's case and set off. Got there, ordered a beer and a sandwich, sat down, set the laptop up and starting to work. About 15 minutes went by, and I got a warning telling me that I only had 8% left of battery life.
Your laptop is a teetotaler. It disapproves of the location.

I've always wanted to go to the Bell Inn at Stilton- which is also haunted- allegedly by, er you;

In 1962, after a new landlord moved into the pub, he reportedly asked locals about a 'strange atmosphere' in one of the bedrooms.

He claimed that a fire had suddenly ignited in the room, seemingly without being lit. This, he was told, was the room Dick Turpin slept in. Turpin has also reportedly been seen riding through the nearby street on horseback.

Some guests at the Bell have even claimed to have woken up early in the morning to find a dark figure standing at the foot of their bed.

The inn is also apparently frequented by the ghost of famous writer Daniel Defoe, best known as the author of Robinson Crusoe. Defoe is said to have stayed at the inn a number of times between 1697 and 1701.

In 1724, he wrote in his treatise 'A tour thro’ the whole island of Great Britain': "We pass’d Stilton, a town famous for cheese, which is call’d our English Parmesan, and is brought to table with the mites, or maggots round it, so thick, that they bring a spoon with them for you to eat the mites with, as you do the cheese.”

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/dick-turpin-bell-inn-stilton-20500792
We managed to find Dick Turpin's grave in York a couple of days ago. It's not easy to find. You have to get to the other side of the city, find a church called Snt. George's that hidden in a housing estate and his grave isn't even in that graveyard. Some bloke walked out of the church, possibly clocked us as tourists, chuckled when we told him what we were up to and said "It's actually in that tiny plot of land that's over the road there!." .. we think he might have been the vicar. Either way, for fun I'd brought some white plastic flowers along because "What did you do on your holiday?." .. "Well, for one thing we put flowers on Dick Turpin's grave!." ...

(I had to tidy up some empty beer cans first someone had left to take this picture)

ayork004.jpg

Talking of haunted pubs though, we visited the famous The Golden Fleece in York. I was able to do a bit of filming in there and we even got invited up to one of the hotel rooms (called 'The Shambles'. We didn't have any paranormal experiences unfortunately but it's a lovely pub and supposedly haunted by six different ghosts.

ayork006.jpg

This was next to our table:

ayork005.jpg

Someone stole it once, it was only returned to the pub last year ..

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2...f-yorks-last-execution-victim-returned-to-pub

edit: I've only just noticed something odd. When I took this photo of the skull, that side of the bar behind me was empty other than my Mrs who's a brunette. You can just work out my black baseball cap in the reflection. I don't remember a smiling blonde woman standing next to and just behind me who you can see in the reflection. Most likely it's just a real living customer who I hadn't noticed but I'm going to send this picture to The Golden Fleece to see what they think. I might have captured a genuine ghost photo?. My Mrs is a brunette and she was the only person behind me.

Last edited:
There’s a scull supposed to be highway man over the bar at the Pack horse in Affetside not far from Tottington near Bury, it is said that if it is removed all the barns in the area will fall down.
A bit random! Why the barns???

I've just phoned The Golden Fleece pub and a member of staff has asked me to post my above photo of the skull on their facebook page so they can all have a look at it. I just need to work out how to do that now. I think I've just joined their page by 'liking' it.

edit: definitely not paranormal. The Mrs has found two more shots of this she'd put in her recycle bin and has now remembered that she said excuse me to two none ghostly people when this pic was taken. I won't be sending this to The Golden Fleece.

Last edited:
Not a clue as to why the barns though it is still a very rural area and there are a lot of barns.

I've just phoned The Golden Fleece pub and a member of staff has asked me to post my above photo of the skull on their facebook page so they can all have a look at it. I just need to work out how to do that now. I think I've just joined their page by 'liking' it.

edit: definitely not paranormal. The Mrs has found two more shots of this she'd put in her recycle bin and has now remembered that she said excuse me to two none ghostly people when this pic was taken. I won't be sending this to The Golden Fleece.
In the true spirit of enquiry you ought to tell them what's occurred and that you're now satisfied it's not a ghost. :bthumbup:

We managed to find Dick Turpin's grave in York a couple of days ago. It's not easy to find. You have to get to the other side of the city, find a church called Snt. George's that hidden in a housing estate and his grave isn't even in that graveyard. Some bloke walked out of the church, possibly clocked us as tourists, chuckled when we told him what we were up to and said "It's actually in that tiny plot of land that's over the road there!." .. we think he might have been the vicar. Either way, for fun I'd brought some white plastic flowers along because "What did you do on your holiday?." .. "Well, for one thing we put flowers on Dick Turpin's grave!." ...

(I had to tidy up some empty beer cans first someone had left to take this picture)

View attachment 66279
Missed each other by three weeks!

In the true spirit of enquiry you ought to tell them what's occurred and that you're now satisfied it's not a ghost. :bthumbup:
That's a fair point except I haven't shown them the picture yet so I don't want to waste their time further when they're trying to work a shift in a busy pub. I do the same job they do and wouldn't appreciate someone phoning me to tell me about something that hasn't happened when I'm knee deep in serving tourists.

That's a fair point except I haven't shown them the picture yet so I don't want to waste their time further when they're trying to work a shift in a busy pub. I do the same job they do and wouldn't appreciate someone phoning me to tell me about something that hasn't happened when I'm knee deep in serving tourists.
I see, thought it was nearly done and dusted.

I ended up drinking in a pub with a haunted toilet!
A pub in the next town along'ere has famously haunted lavvies, especially the Ladies'. :)

However, I believe they're not the original facilities, which used to be reached by stepping outdoors until refurbishment was done.

"In my day", when we uncovered unexpected human remains the coroners office sent a representative (representing the coroner, that is) to record and register the remains. The police send an officer who consults with them to question the likelyhood of the remains being ... new or old. Nothing is disturbed unless there is certainty that the remains are a) of expected date, and b) of expected 'presence'.
*breath*
We dug into a Canterbury plague pit (receiving necessary vaccinations) and dug out ... bits. Location? Skeletal remains expected.
We dug into a central city Catholic chapel, especially fitted for city burials. It was very old. There were expected remains which were 'removed with full and respectful disposal'.
See above.
All remains, as long as they're proved to be 'ancient' and 'expected', are taken off by the County Coroners Office and, after "full and complete investigation" i.e. waiting for a year, they're given a discrete and low-key burial in the nearest churchyard.
A real pisser if the remains belong to a pagan, a Roman, an early Christian. Eh?

"In my day", when we uncovered unexpected human remains the coroners office sent a representative (representing the coroner, that is) to record and register the remains. The police send an officer who consults with them to question the likelyhood of the remains being ... new or old. Nothing is disturbed unless there is certainty that the remains are a) of expected date, and b) of expected 'presence'.
*breath*
We dug into a Canterbury plague pit (receiving necessary vaccinations) and dug out ... bits. Location? Skeletal remains expected.
We dug into a central city Catholic chapel, especially fitted for city burials. It was very old. There were expected remains which were 'removed with full and respectful disposal'.
See above.
All remains, as long as they're proved to be 'ancient' and 'expected', are taken off by the County Coroners Office and, after "full and complete investigation" i.e. waiting for a year, they're given a discrete and low-key burial in the nearest churchyard.
A real pisser if the remains belong to a pagan, a Roman, an early Christian. Eh?
But apart from that, you didn't get up to much?

... joking aside, I'm envious mate .. I hope you all the PPE to be digging up a plague pit, that's stuffs 'dormant' ..

But apart from that, you didn't get up to much?

... joking aside, I'm envious mate .. I hope you all the PPE to be digging up a plague pit, that's stuffs 'dormant' ..
PPE? Really?
:hahazebs:
We had steel-toe capped wellies, donkey jackets, heavy duty gloves and trowels. Oh, and the one time we did actually get detailed to dig out a plague pit, we got vaccinated against bubonic plague.
Or so they told us. :D

PPE? Really?
:hahazebs:
We had steel-toe capped wellies, donkey jackets, heavy duty gloves and trowels. Oh, and the one time we did actually get detailed to dig out a plague pit, we got vaccinated against bubonic plague.
Or so they told us. :D
That must have been a while ago because there is no current vaccine against Yersinia pestis. The Russians have one but it's not that reliable. Porton Down spend quite a lot of time trying to solve that problem.

Archaeologists etc who disturb remains are more at risk from anthrax. It's spread by spores which can live for, well, nobody really knows. Possibly centuries.

Just reached The George in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, at the end of a hike. While ordering food, I mentioned that I had heard the pub was haunted. "Apparently so." said the barmaid with an uncomfortable grin."So you've not run into anything yourself?" ... ""No." So there you go... yes, supposed to be haunted, but no further info.

Back