• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I used to work and live at the Red Lion hotel in Cromer, Norfolk and had a few strange experiences there ... unexplained foot steps, cold spots, my friend clamed he'd caught a shadow person on his new mobile phone but had accidently lost the picture when he was trying to save it. I put it all down to tiredness mixed with alcohol. One night, I saw what I assumed was my boss, a slim woman, walk past a door way exactly at the same time I was looking through it from the customer's side of the bar. What was strange was that she wasn't supposed to be there that night so I got up from my chair to head her (or whoever) off at the only place she could be heading but no body was there and there was no where anyone could hide or be over looked. The weirdest thing though was that it was the sharp shape with the movement of a walking woman but a dense black .... I don't want to use the word colour .... it was as if someone had cut the shape out with scissors. If I'd seen it in my peripheral vision I wouldn't have believed it but I was looking head on at the time ..

Today we popped into the Swettenham Arms.

It's apparently haunted and there're vigils and all sorts held there.
The pub even has its own ghost brochure!

We picked up a couple of copies to read in bed later. :shock:

Haunted pub b&b

My husband and I were visiting Kent, (my birthplace) while on holiday from Australia and we stayed at a b&b Pub called "The Rising Sun" at Fawkner Green. During the night I woke suddenly with the sensation that some one was in our room but standing at the foot of the bed. I raised my head up to stare into the darkness but could see nothing but I could feel his/her stare. After a while I laid down and went back to sleep. The next day I decided to write this experience in the visitors book, the last entry above ours was a visiting couple who stayed in the same room and reported the same experience. I would love to stay there again but hubby says no way!

Spirits 'detected in East Ogwell pub bar'
By Herald Express | Posted: January 28, 2015
A beam of light shoots through the closed door of the fireplace at the Jolly Sailor Torquil MacLeod TQTM20150122E-003_C
  • 9388670-large.jpg
    • 9388669-large.jpg

ghost watch: Chris Marshall, left and John Turner.
A PRIEST and two monks were among the spooky presences detected by ghostbusters at a South Devon pub.
Local group Real Investigators of the Paranormal visited the Jolly Sailor in East Ogwell during the early hours of Sunday after reports of a ghostly figure spotted in the bar.

Landlord and former footballer John Turner called in the ghostbusters because of constant hauntings since he bought the pub.He said he didn't believe in ghosts until he took over the Jolly Sailor: "It's a friendly ghost, we just want to find out more about him.
"The figure looks a bit like a William Shakespeare type character."
"Now that these discoveries have been made, hopefully we'll be able to find out more about the history of the ghost and where it might have come from."

Chris Marshall, chairman of Real Investigators of the Paranormal, said: "We had a really good night. Using night vision cameras, heat sensors and voice recorders, we were able to monitor any spirits in the pub. While the technical devices didn't register much, our three mediums picked up various presences.
"They detected a priest and two monks in the bar, along with a young man. They also connected with the names Loar Wakefield, a William Webber and a John Webber.
"A few orbs were also spotted and dark shadows were noticed in the skittles alley."
The Jolly Sailor dates back to the 13th century when sailors would come inland to avoid the press gang. Hence the present day name.

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Spirits-detected-pub-bar/story-25929645-detail/story.html#ixzz3Q6aJVb8o

Maybe he's doing a spot of ghosthunting before bed?

She's standing up, they're sitting down - hence the height differential. No need to suggest anything wild like '8 feet tall'. :rolleyes:

Weirder still is that a large photograph of the outside of the pub appears to be floating above the child in the left upper side of the photograph. It appears to be in front of the man and the child as it seems to cut off some of the mans hair.

I've heard of hunted paintings but never floating haunted photos.

Hello there. First post for me under my new user name (I couldn't remember my log in details for my old account so instead of faffing around I just created a new one)

Up until the beginning of this year I was a paranormal investigator with a small local group. (For various reasons I decided to jack it in, not least being that I had been doing it for so long I was turning into a bloody old cynic with it all)
Most pubs I have investigated have been uninteresting with nothing at all worth reporting, but there was one pub I investigated that comptely took this old sceptic by surprise. It would be a longish post to recount all of it, but if anyone is interested I could post some of the things that happened that night. No levitating bar stools or massive happenings like that. But just enough things occurring that night to leave me scratching my head in puzzlement at just what was going on at this location.

Hello there. First post for me under my new user name (I couldn't remember my log in details for my old account so instead of faffing around I just created a new one)

Up until the beginning of this year I was a paranormal investigator with a small local group. (For various reasons I decided to jack it in, not least being that I had been doing it for so long I was turning into a bloody old cynic with it all)
Most pubs I have investigated have been uninteresting with nothing at all worth reporting, but there was one pub I investigated that comptely took this old sceptic by surprise. It would be a longish post to recount all of it, but if anyone is interested I could post some of the things that happened that night. No levitating bar stools or massive happenings like that. But just enough things occurring that night to leave me scratching my head in puzzlement at just what was going on at this location.

Yeha go for it. What was your old Fourm name?

Welcome, Psychomania. Of course we're interested, post away.
Thank you :)
I did warn you. It's a bit of a long one

I have attended many investigations in pubs. Almost always with very little results. Most of the time I found that a landlord calling in a team for an investigation had more to do with publicity and reputation for the business (ghosts are big business these days - see I told you I was cynical) or for a bit of a laugh with the regulars who they insisted in staying behind to hang around and get involved (some even advertised it as an event)
Many times they were disappointed with our findings of bugger all, and questioned why we didn't use table tipping, Ouija boards or a medium to pick up on things in our team, therefore getting more results (We opted to use a scientific rather than a spiritual approach) than the boring "sitting around in the dark with not much happening" method. They didn't want debunking. They wanted a monk floating around in the cellar and a murdered scullery maid on the stairs.

Apart from one particular pub that is. I am unable to name the location as they asked at the time for no publicity. They never asked us to "find ghosts" They simply wanted a team to come in and try to give them some answers as to what was going on.
It is a small pub in a seaside town in the UK. One bar area. Pump room. Small kitchen area. Apartment on the second floor used by the owners, a middle aged couple. I didn't expect much from the investigation. By this time I was toying with the idea of giving it all up. The passion I once had for the subject already on the wane.
As it turned out this was one of the most interesting and puzzling (for me, as a sceptic) investigations I ever did.
There were four of us in the team that evening. Having visited the location previously and seen how small it was we decided to keep numbers to a minimum. The owners left us too it. They gave us a key, said we had the full run of the downstairs area and they went up to their apartment on the floor above. The weather was wet with the occasional burst of lightning. I settled down to a night of twiddling my thumbs waiting for something that (I thought) wasn't going to happen.

For the first hour or so nothing much happened. All the audio booster were picking up was the sound of the owners watching TV upstairs. Motion detectors were quiet.

The owners finally turned off the TV and went to bed. Everything was quiet in the bar area. Myself and another chap were sat at a table next to the bar while the other two team members went off into the pump area behind the bar. All of a sudden from what seemed like right next to my ear there was a loud groaning sound. I can only describe it as sounding like something from a ghost train or fun house. It was such a typical "ghost" sound it was almost a cliché. The chap sat opposite me jumped so much he very nearly fell off his chair, as he was listening via headphones to boosted audio. It was loud for me with the naked ear so goodness knows how loud it was for him!

We called the other two back into the room and asked if they had heard anything where they were at the time. They hadn't. We had 3 audio recorders running that the time, spaced around the bottom floor. We immediately reviewed all of them. The one on the table with us clearly picked up the groaning sound. The other two picked up nothing. I was stumped. I even half jokingly accused the chap that was with me at the time that it was his stomach and he was covering up. He swore it wasn't and to be honest he seemed quite shaken by it (for a paranormal investigator he ain't half a scaredy cat)
About ten minutes later we were all sat together in the bar area quietly discussing the sound when one member of our team said he could see a shadowy mass moving across the wall at the far end of the bar area. We all looked. I couldn't see much as I had just been looking at a lit monitor screen so my night vision wasn't good, but the other team members all said they could see a dark shape moving across. This particular pub is not on a road way. It has a foot path leading up to it, and when we checked there was no one outside to throw a shadow through the window. We even got one team member to go outside and walk about a bit to try and recreate what the others had seen with no luck.
A short while later we were sat quietly when another team member jumped and almost knocked over my flask of tea! He said he had seen someone poking their head around a doorway leading from the bar area to the back room. I immediately got up to check and found no one back there.
We decided to set up some trigger objects and all go outside to the yard area. I was the last one out the door and as I was shutting it I heard a clear female voice calling out something I couldn't make out. The voice came from the bar area. I actually thought the landlady had come downstairs and called out to us. I went back in to see what she wanted but the bar was empty. Strange thing was it was only me that heard it even though the other team members were right in front of me when I closed the door, and our audio recorders didn't pick up any voice. Did I have an auditory hallucination?
We hung about out in the yard for a while but came back in due to the weather. Roughly 5 minutes after we came back in there was a loud crash in the opposite end of the room to where we were. You do tend to hear lots of loud noises in pubs at night, due to the pumps, fridges etc, but this was in an area where there was no equipment. It wasn't like a bang. More like a crash. It sounded metallic. Almost immediately afterwards a motion detector in the same area as the crash sound had come from started bleeping. Rather than dash over to that area I suggested we kept quiet and stay where we were to see if anything else would happen. There was 3 knocks, like someone rapping on one of the wooden tables. Then nothing. When we later checked the trigger object left in that area (an old Penny) it had moved quite a lot from where it had been placed. Unfortunately, as always seems the way with these things, all of our locked off cameras were pointing in different areas so we couldn't tell exactly how and when it was moved. Just that it was moved sometime after it was last checked by myself.
A second trigger object (a vintage tobacco tin placed on the bar) was also discovered to have moved later on in the investigation.
We experimented with a KII meter. Now I'm not convinced at all it can be used as equipment to communicate with spirits. Out of all the times I have seen it used in this way, this location was the only place it has ever seemed to show any sign that someone was controlling it. For about ten minutes only it would flash when asked to flash and stop when asked to do so. When asked to do the old "1 flash for yes, 2 for no" it just stopped flashing altogether. Almost like someone was refusing to talk. I'm not saying this is proof. Just that it was interesting for me.
The rest of the night was pretty quiet, apart from all of us kept hearing what sounded like whispering very close by. Not at the same time. We all heard it individually at different times. Now this could be put down to sounds traveling from the rain outside, or possibly sounds traveling from upstairs? I don't know. When I heard it, it sounded close and male.

Now when you compare all this to certain paranormal "excitement every minute" TV shows it seems pretty tame. But to me, who has investigated the paranormal for quite a few years, nights like this one are pretty rare. Any one who does it will tell you that 99% of the time nothing happens

We were all desperate to go back for another shot at the location, but unfortunately not long afterward it changed owners, and the new owners were not interested in having anyone in to investigate, telling us "we don't go in for that sort of thing"

I had a differnet user name too and I completely forgot it. Welcome back and spill your beans!

Presumably you reported your findings to the owners. How did they react?

Yes. We wrote out a full report and made a disc of any interesting audio/video clips we got on the night and handed it over to them. They seemed impressed and were quite keen for us to come back once the tourist season ended. Some of the things we reported (the voices, knocking and things moving) were actually things they had been experiencing themselves
. We heard nothing else from them for a couple of months and when we tried to get in contact with them we found that they had moved on.

I wonder if you could upload a file of the groan you heard? Great story btw. Is it really impossible to say where the pub is? After all, as you say, the original owners have moved on.

I wonder if you could upload a file of the groan you heard? Great story btw. Is it really impossible to say where the pub is? After all, as you say, the original owners have moved on.

I no longer have the laptop I had the media files stored on, but there is a good chance it may be stored on a memory stick I have here. When I get the chance I will have a look for you.
As for not naming the location, it is more out of loyalty to my former team mates that are still running an investigation group, than to the former and current owners of the pub. It wouldn't feel right for me to break the promise of no publicity we made to the location on a public forum. I will say it was in an old fisherman's pub in Cornwall. That narrows it down to about a hundred locations lol.

Great tale, but can I ask what a KII meter does? (Or is supposed to do?)

Thanks for the link, but it sounds next to useless considering all the interference that might be setting it off non-supernaturally. The rest of your story sounds pretty solid, though.

but it sounds next to useless considering all the interference that might be setting it off non-supernaturally.

Exactly. There are so many things that can trigger it to go off. Mobile phones, wifi routers, bad wiring, bar pumps, etc. I recounted that purely because it happened that night and unlike other times it didn't seem to be randomly activated. However it is by no means solid proof and I still would need much more convincing that it is good for anything other than detecting dodgy electrics.

Fantastic account, Psychomania!

This could be a first. Ghost bottled & stolen.

Haunted pub's owner outraged after 'possessed toilet ghost' is 'stolen and bottled up by artist'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/haunted-pubs-owner-outraged-after-8741586
Lu Pingyuan apparently stole the ghost of James Stanley after following it into the pub toilet in Bolton

The artist claims to have bottled up the spectre – which is now on display at the Centre for Chinese Contemporary Art in Manchester.

So fascinated by the ghost was Pingyuan that he travelled all the way from Shanghai to Greater Manchester to steal it.

The landlord of Ye Olde Man and Scythe has penned a moving letter to Pingyuan.

“I would have liked to have been privy to your actions and indeed to the exhibition before the ghost of James Stanley was taken out of Bolton, his ties to the town and to Ye Olde Man and Scythe run very deeply", writes Greenwood.

“I feel very strongly that James Stanley’s ghost should remain in Bolton and at Ye Olde Man and Scythe to preserve the natural order of things.

Stanley was a Royalist whose family originally owned the inn. History suggests that the nobleman spent the last hours of his life there before he was beheaded in 1651 towards the end of the Civil War.

The chair he sat in before he was taken outside and executed is still in the pub today.

Back