• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ghost bottled & stolen.

It does all sound like a publicity stunt.

"So fascinated by the ghost was Pingyuan that he travelled all the way from Shanghai to Greater Manchester to steal it."

Was this on his Visa application? :rofl:

It does all sound like a publicity stunt.

"So fascinated by the ghost was Pingyuan that he travelled all the way from Shanghai to Greater Manchester to steal it."

Was this on his Visa application? :rofl:

Surely you're not doubting the veracity of the story?..

I believe the pub is on the artist's joke. Both the pub and the artist get publicity, and they can have an official return of the ghost to the pub after the exhibition. In front of newspaper photographers of course.

I believe the pub is on the artist's joke. Both the pub and the artist get publicity, and they can have an official return of the ghost to the pub after the exhibition. In front of newspaper photographers of course.
The ghost is in on the artist's joke.

T'other night we popped to the next town to the Red Cow, a locally famous haunted hostelry. I asked the barmaid about the ghosts, as you do, and she told me about the incidents that've happened around her. We'll definitely be back for further news.

In the old man and scythe in Bolton. The newspaper reports of the stolen ghost is framed on the wall. Doesn't stop them running occasional ghost hunts though. It's quite nice in there. Although last time I had a cider on there I wasn't well :). The Meade is nice though.

I'm not going the name the pub, only the county. Sorry about that.

About 15 years ago??? I stayed a few nights in the sea-facing pub in Kent, which is said to haunted.

The door (a free swinging wooden one) from the kitchen to the bar/dinning area swings open & closes on its own accord & yes I did see that more than once, even when the kitchen was closed.

Last edited:
Haunted pubs are definitely one of my favourite Fortean things - can't believe it's taken me this long to find a thread!

There's a pub near here that is (allegedly) extremely haunted. Not only has there been reports of a phantom woman who haunts one of the cubicles in the ladies toilets, a former landlord who was, by all accounts, a rather stolid and taciturn man, woke up one night in his digs above the pub to what sounded like monks chanting in the room next door. Sadly I've no idea whether the pub (or the ground it was built on) had monastic links.

Here's a couple of mine...what is it with ladies loos in pubs??

Worked at one time just off the Euston Rd in London and frequented a pub so often it was like a second home. Absolutely hated going upstairs to the loos, it seemed so cut off from the hustle and bustle of the pub and always freezing cold, whatever the season.

On holiday with my sister in Somerset we stayed at a pub for a couple of days. A middle aged couple ran it and we were the only people staying there at the time (off season etc.). Both nights around the 3 o clock mark we both woke up to what sounded like people storming up the stairs, crashing and banging about and generally making a racket but not speaking/shouting. It felt like "they" were searching and looking for someone or something. Weird that we just accepted it as not really happening and never said anything to the owners about a herd of men running up and down stairs/corridors!

On another holiday, this time in Dorset, on our first night at a pub in the village I blurted out to the landlady, "is this pub haunted?" She asked me why and I mentioned that the corridor to the ladies felt "off", real cold, hair on end, goosebumps kind of off. She then explained that she'd had experiences in said corridor. I've been back plenty of times since and never felt anything. The landlady is still there and is really lovely and has brought the pub to life.

Just curious, the full moon increases ghosts sightings.

Do you remember what the moon looked like during your pub stays ?

The Red Cow near here is reputed to be haunted, especially the ladies' lavs area.

I was sitting outside there one day watching the buses come in, thinking, I wonder if it's really haunted... and I suddenly saw ELVIS spelled out on the side of a bus. :shock:

It was actually the word 'TRAVELWISE' with some letters or parts thereof artfully obscured.

There is something to be said for not getting carried away. :lol:
Today I cycled past the Red Cow (via the reputedly also-haunted Churche's Mansion) and thought of this thread.
Last time we were there was on way home from a bike ride when we sat outside enjoying a pint of Robinsons' best.

I was listening yesterday to the tail end of a programme on Radio 4 about the abuse of hospitality workers (no, bear with me here...)

It made me wonder whether the experiences of women who hide out in the toilets in pubs to try to escape....'unwanted attention', shall we say, may influence the atmosphere around them, and give rise to tales of hauntings and 'cold spots'? From the programme I was listening to, it seems that going to the toilet is a common way for women to try to get away, and men whose behaviour may be affected by drink can often not want to let the object of their affections go, so the toilet is the natural place to hide.

Just a thought I had.

Spooky goings-on in Solihull.

Security camera captures spooky footage of poltergeist making mischief in Solihull pub​

Red Lion licensee says the pub was once a mortuary - which may account for the ghostly goings-on

By
Enda Mullen
  • 05:00, 14 AUG 2021

A security camera has captured spooky footage of what appears to be a poltergeist making mischief in a Soihull pub.
The frightening footage was captured on Wednesday (August 11) as staff and customers were in the Red Lion pub in Shirley.
Staff are going about their business and customers are enjoying their drinks when a vase of flowers appears to be pushed off a shelf and crashes to the floor.
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/n...eOPPOr42hx9Co-myXUXYmiGN0OF5-sNx33xpGzarvXsg8

Some years ago a friend of mine went for a drink in a (now closed) pub, The Windsor Castle in Crawford Street, Marylebone, London.
Known locally for it's bric-a-brac.

They sat at a table, and their just-bought full wine glass tipped forward "of it's own accord" 90 degrees, very quickly.
The wine spilled, and the glass did not move any further.
It had turned 90 degrees and then stayed in situe.

They went to the bar where the barman was already pouring a replacement.

'Happens a lot at that table" he remarked.

https://londonist.com/2016/08/windsor-castle-pub-to-close

I was listening yesterday to the tail end of a programme on Radio 4 about the abuse of hospitality workers (no, bear with me here...)

It made me wonder whether the experiences of women who hide out in the toilets in pubs to try to escape....'unwanted attention', shall we say, may influence the atmosphere around them, and give rise to tales of hauntings and 'cold spots'? From the programme I was listening to, it seems that going to the toilet is a common way for women to try to get away, and men whose behaviour may be affected by drink can often not want to let the object of their affections go, so the toilet is the natural place to hide.

Just a thought I had.
Weird. I have just read this thread for the first time and the mentions of lady's lavs all the time made me think the same as you. When I saw your post it felt quite spooky.

I've been told by someone who is experienced around ghosts/the occult that the energy of running water is what attracts the spirits. It all ties in with leylines, underground streams, dowsing and so on.

Last edited:
A guess is that wells would sometime be the site of spas / medicinal waters, and so had surrounding pleasure gardens and hospitality areas.

Long since disused, but the pubs remain.

Sadler's Wells spring to mind (pardon the pun).

The Shakespeare's Head, The Harlequin and The Pearl and Feather are all a stone's throw away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadler's_Wells_Theatre

A guess is that wells would sometime be the site of spas / medicinal waters, and so had surrounding pleasure gardens and hospitality areas.

Long since disused, but the pubs remain.

Sadler's Wells spring to mind (pardon the pun).

The Shakespeare's Head, The Harlequin and The Pearl and Feather are all a stone's throw away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadler's_Wells_Theatre

I was a frequent visitor to the Harlequin back in the day Vic. That’s when George used to own the pub. He later on bought the Shakespeare’s head. Haven’t been back in years so I don’t know if he is still running things there. His late night afters (some people refer to them as lock in’s) were legendary :)

I had last Friday afternoon off work as I was supposed to taking Mrs DT away for the weekend, back to the Bull, in Long Melford (this time for a more serious paranormal investigation rather than us just getting battered on beer and Gin :) )

Sadly my eldest, got her second COVID jab on Friday morning, and didn’t feel too well on Friday evening so we postponed the trip.

Anyway instead, I wandered down to my village local, which dates back to the 15th Century and looks like a ghost hunters dream. It has an entry in that paranormal database website.

I got the website up on my phone and showed the barmaid, and asked if she had ever had any ghostly experiences while working there. She read short inscription, raised her eyebrows and smiled, but wouldn’t elaborate any further.

I think I’ll catch her on a quiet day, when she’s not so busy.

Back