• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hearing Your Name Called

rjmrjmrjm said:
The fact that I found strange is, rather than the voice itself being heared (As people have pointed out our brain filters sounds and looks for important ones) the fact that it happened in almost exactly the same place and I just wondered if there may be some sort of resonance that makes echo's sound like my name.[/quo
Have you ever heard a piar of cats fighting in an alley way rjm? and that strange noise they make as they are eyeballing each other.We have tons of the maingy little things on our street and as i was listening to them last night i relized that you could interpret the sounds in wich ever way you wanted.

Isis177 said:
I have had 3 that I remember quite well and I wasn't going to sleep in any of them
1. I was hanging out the washing and I heard a clear youngish man's voice call my name. It seemed to come from above me.
2.One of the mother's helping in the school tuckshop brought along her sister in law. I heard man's voice, I think it was Cornish ,say in my ear" She's a convict, lass" ( It turned out she'd been in gaol for assault.)
3. I was watching Riverdance on tv and was quite caught up in one of the drumming sequences. I heard a man's Irish voice in my ear saying my name and " It's for the Dagda" which I didn't quite understand, but he repeated it.

:shock: Three very cool stories, but if they happened to me they'd scare the crap out of me!

Just curious... Did you know what Dagda meant at the time? ("which I didn't quite understand" could mean you just didn't make out what the voice said until he reapeated it) I didn't know as I read your post, but I googled it - not necessarily the way to get authoritative information, but what I found was reference to Dagda as a/the "good" god. Have you ever looked into that particular drum sequence? I have to admit, I've only seen parts of Riverdance on TV and don't know much about it, but I thought it was at least based on some traditional dances, music, and stories.

Anyway, I found your #2 pretty funny - sounds like gossip is every bit as much a problem in the "beyond" :lol:

Isis177 said:
2.One of the mother's helping in the school tuckshop brought along her sister in law. I heard man's voice, I think it was Cornish ,say in my ear" She's a convict, lass" ( It turned out she'd been in gaol for assault.)
Lass doesn't sound Cornish to me. There are various types of endearments used here (my bird, my lover, etc) but lass sounds more north country. Maid, perhaps, or am I thinking of Devon?

decipheringscars I didn't know what dagda meant at all. I had never heard of it hence not understanding. It was the sequence where they are drumming and there was a large shield type thing at the back with a design on it. I looked it up in my mythology books but couldn't find anything.
rynner I suppose I thought it was Cornish because my mother's ancestors came from there.My Father's were Irish and Scots and it was a different accent. I'm in Australia so I'm a bit out of touch.

Dagda

The Dagda (pronounced Daw-ga) is a figure from Celtic, and specifically Irish Celtic, mythology.

He is the beneficent god, also known as Ollathair, or All Father, from whom blessings and gifts flow.

He is a god of jollity, feast and dance and has a cauldron which can never be emptied of food, no matter how many feast from it.

Dedications to the Dagda traditionally ensure prosperity and happiness.

One time I came back in the house after being in the garden for a few minutes, and found my young daughter looking quite worried. She asked me where I had been. After I explained, she said that she had heard a voice asking 'who are you?'. She did an impression of an old gravelly voice, which sent a shiver down my spine. I told her not to worry about it and changed the subject. She seemed to forget about it quite quickly, and never mentioned it again.

It's amazing, I've been reading FTMB for years, and did I take a note of the time, date and circumstances for future reference? No! It's like when something weird happens your brian goes into 'move along now nothing more to see' mode. ;)

Re: Dagda

Pearl_Knight said:
The Dagda (pronounced Daw-ga) is a figure from Celtic, and specifically Irish Celtic, mythology.

That's an interesting point.

Isis, how was the name 'Dagda' pronounced when you heard it?

Cavynaut, yes I was thinking that about the pronunciation. It was daagdaa in sound. deep in the throat. I spoke to my cousin yesterday who is visiting from another state to stay with his brother, and when I mentioned it to him he pronounced it the same way and he seemed to know of it. I'm finding he has had many of the same experiences as I do but they frighten him, as they do his brother. I'm hoping to find out some more tonight when I go over there.

voices

Ok. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago it was in the morning
BUT i wasnt assleep im a smoker so.. :cry: i WAS awake as i had a smoke.
after i smoked and got out of bed this happened.
i went into the bathroom and closed the door, i had just leaned over the sink to brush my teeth when i heard a voice outside the door,
saying "MY NAME"..... needless to say i opened the door REALLY pissed off.
there was nobody there and the wife was in the next room with the door closed
i went in and asked her did she call me she said no.
strange thing was at the time in the back of my mind i had decided that
this WASNT my missisus voice but a voice i did know...just couldnt place
any thoughts???

This happened to my mother (only once) in Preston Hall Museum in Eaglescliffe. She was browsing the exhibits in the Dungeon section of the museum. Suddenly, she heard her name been called out. She thought it was my dad or someone else fooling around, but when they all adamantly denied it- she was just... :shock:

Incidentally, this museum is renowned for it's ghost sightings and paranormal activity. I have visited it a few times, but never had anything strange happen me.

crowwaddle said:
It's like when something weird happens your brian goes into 'move along now nothing more to see' mode. ;)

:( I don't have a Brian. What's he like?

My fiancee used to live in a house when she was younger that was haunted by a little girl in a white dress. The girl used to enjoy shouting her name from upstairs when everyone that lived in the house was in the same room :shock:

crowwaddle said:
One time I came back in the house after being in the garden for a few minutes, and found my young daughter looking quite worried. She asked me where I had been. After I explained, she said that she had heard a voice asking 'who are you?'. She did an impression of an old gravelly voice, which sent a shiver down my spine.

How absolutely creepy. :shock:

~Kim~

Since my five-week-old daughter being born, I now hear her crying instead of my wife calling my name, which used to happen all the time.

Julst last night I was sitting in my studio with the door open (just across the hall from our bedroom, where my wife and the baby were sleeping), and I haerd the baby crying from the bedroom. I got up to check on her, when I realised that yet again I hadn't heard it through the (comfortingly over-sensitive) baby monitor sitting infornt of me.

I have heard my mum or dad call me but my mum or dad was a sleep in bed it happens now and than. it happend to day. i love to no why it happens.

I know how you feel.....

I used to live with my brother in Las Vegas, NV. He had bought a 26 year old (4 years ago) house on the northeast side of town. Anyway, when we moved in, the house seemed fine, a little dark, but fine. Well, my brother worked nights, so I used to be in the house alone all night long.
Anyway, one night I was reading a book in the living room when I heard my name being called from the other room. Mind you, NO ONE was home at the time, just me. I ignored it and continued to read. Then out of no where I heard my name again, but this time the sound came from right behind my ear! It was a man's voice, but I didn't recognize it.
I also experienced other wierd things in that house!

I often used to hear my name being called in the distance at my grandparents place.

When I was very small (I think it wasn't too long after my Grandmother die,so I would have been about 3), I was sitting in my grandfathers kitchen eating bread and cheese for supper. I decided that I didn't want to eat my crusts. Like most 3 year olds I screwed up my face to have a good wail about it. Right in my ear (left ear,my brother was sat on my right) I heard a womens voice tell me to eat the crusts last and then they wouldn't taste so bad. In my shock, Iopened my eyes,but there was no one there, just my grandfather coming in the kitchen to see what all the noise was about. I asked my brother and he'd heard nothing and my grandfather thought I'd stopped howling as he'd come in the room. I eat my crusts last for a long time after that!

I've had this happen twice. The first time I was sat on a bus and heard my name whispered in my ear. Thinking it was a friend of mine who I'd not seen as I sat down, I turned in my seat, but no one was there.

The second time was a little spookier but very helpful, in a way. I was walking past the bus station in my home town (lots of odd things happen to me around bus stops) and heard my name whispered in my right ear. I looked in that direction to see an abusive ex boyfriend who I definitely didn't want to see again, getting off a bus. If that hadn't happened I'd have crossed the street and run straight into him.

Only happened me once and it scared the crap out of me. I under the duvet one Monday afternoon suffering the effects of a weekend long alcohol and pseudoephedrine binge when I very clearly and distinctly heard one of the bosses in work call out my name. Twice. I don't touch the pseudoephedrine anymore!

I remember reading on the net somewhere a theory that the brain uses a single cell for each face we recognise. Perhaps the same is true for names, or more specifically, our own name, as it's something we would hear very often during our brain's development, and learn by an early age that it refers to us. Hearing your own name could perhaps be a mis-firing of these cells, as it does seem to be a pretty universal phenomenon.

Could be ghosts too though :)

I think even worse than hearing your name 'out-of-nowhere' is when you think you hear your name said faintly in a song. I remember a song which quite clearly sounded like my mum shouting "Tom!". I think I replied to "her" more than once, haha.

Used to hear my name called while working in a creepy old nursing home I put it down to imagination and lack of sleep, but co-workers also complained about it, one was the wife of an Assemblies of God pastor ,and was convinced it was ghosts of unhappy former patients.

I think even worse than hearing your name 'out-of-nowhere' is when you think you hear your name said faintly in a song. I remember a song which quite clearly sounded like my mum shouting "Tom!". I think I replied to "her" more than once, haha.
At the end of the Beatles' "Lovely Rita" there's a bunch of random vocal tomfoolery - EVERY time I hear it I think my name is being called by my brother. The only "Fortean" aspect of this being why I'm surprised every time.

IamSundog said:
At the end of the Beatles' "Lovely Rita" there's a bunch of random vocal tomfoolery - EVERY time I hear it I think my name is being called by my brother. The only "Fortean" aspect of this being why I'm surprised every time.
Then you pause the music and listen in case you're being called, but there's nothing. Then you remember!

This happens to me a lot. Usually when I hear my name being called, I could swear that it's either my Mum calling, or my best friend. Usually it happens when i'm alone in the middle of the night. And when I listen to a particular song by Bright Eyes (forget the title right now, arg), I hear my name being called by my Mum.

Slightly off the topic, but the post about the name-calling helping someone avoid their ex boyfriend reminded me of my own recent experience:

I stupidly went out the night before an early morning international flight and got home at 2am, very messy indeed. My alarm was set for 5am, I had a taxi booked for 6am. Being one to make life dramatic for myself, I hadn't packed but thought it would only take half an hour or so - plenty of time if I got up at 5.

Being very very tired and very drunk I must have turned my alarm off at 5 whilst still asleep because the next thing I knew I was jerked awake by a loud knock on my bedroom door at 5.30.

The strange thing about this is that I was the only one in the house.

I checked the front door in case there was someone there knocking. No one. I panicked and reeled about drunkenly - shovelling clothes into my suitcase. The taxi turned up on time and I had to make him wait for 15 minutes (he was not too impressed). But I did make my flight on time. Thank you, Mysterious Knock.

I hear my name being called to this day. I used to hear it a lot as a child but I remember once occassion very clearly as it was the day Prince Charles and Diana got married. Whilst rushing to watch the wedding I caught my finger in our living room door and passed out with the pain. I remember coming round to a voice saying "Wake up child wake up." The voice sounded concerned but spoken sharply with a very upper class accent. I asked my mum when I came to who had spoken the words but she said noone had said anything as there was only myself and my mother in the house at the time. Later on that day I remembered the voice sounded very much like the one that called (and still does) call my name. Its always a female voice and always well spoken.

I have always heard the same couple of male voices until this morning as I came fully awake. Nothing strange has happened for the last couple of months and I had thought maybe it wouldn't anymore.
Then this morning I heard this strange scraping sort of noise and then a voice that sounded almost mechanical saying "Six days". That was all. Now I keep wondering if something will happen then. Daughter and I are starting a leadlighting course that day but nothing else different so I guess I'll have to wait and see if anything(or nothing) happens.

Then this morning I heard this strange scraping sort of noise and then a voice that sounded almost mechanical saying "Six days". That was all. Now I keep wondering if something will happen then.

Aaaa, that sounds so creepy. It reminds me of Donnie Darko with Frank. Lets just hope that the world isn't going to end in 6 days! :shock:

You'll have to let us know if anything happens!

Hearing my name called

When I was quite young, about 3-4, i remember lying in bed in the evening and hearing someone, a female voice call my name, just once, it was very clear and i can still remember the voice now some 16 years later, only happened 5 or 6 times in total until I moved out of that room, it never happened again. I can remember on one occassion when my name was called feeling a presence in the room and me saying something, but it never replied, I was never frightened or anything. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

That happens to me quite regularly as I am drifting off to sleep.

Occasionally the voice seems familiar (the last time it happened, I swear it was my grandmother) but most of the time it is a voice I don't recognise.

Thinking about it now, it always seems to be a female voice.

I am having that problem right now, only its my mother calling me from downstairs to do something. God I miss being at uni :)

Back