• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hearing Your Name Called

Ok I just read a book by a twenty year expert on OCD (don't remember the name but it was something like guide to ocd for patient and clinician), and he said hearing your name being called or hearing someone call for help is a mild hallucination found in some OCD sufferers...explains everything.

Last week my Sri Lankan friend was watching tv when she distinctly heard her name called 3 times by her Mother. She immediately tried to ring her and continued until her partner arrived back then sent him around to her Mother's house. he couldn't get in as the gate was locked and was too infirm to climb the fence.

So her sister was sent for to bring her son who climbed over and let them in.
Her partner opened the door and found her Mother lying in the hall where she'd crawled after falling and he was able to lift her up.
They have now arranged for a medi alert necklace and bars to hang onto around the house.
My friend is quite sure it was her Mother calling for her.

Shazzles said:
I've had this phenomenon happen to me recently - within the last 4 weeks. I'm not far off 40 yrs old, and had just been made redundant and was slightly anxious about the future and what I'd be doing (all turned out fine, as I knew it would) but for 2 nights in close succession (and never before or since) I heard my name called just as I had gone to bed and switched off the light. Each time was a different voice and not one that was known to me. I live alone, so it wasn't someone else in the house. The first time I heard the voice it was a female and the second time a male. There was no urgency to the voices, they seemed quite relaxed. I may be proved wrong, but I felt it was something outside of myself and not coming from within. I wasn't frightened by the phenomena and just took it as a sign that everything was going to be OK. I'd also been seeing a lot of white feathers around (have been told this is a sign of angels being present) but as I have no experiences that i can relate to 'angels' I'm slightly sceptical of this - although pretty open minded to the possibilities in the Universe - it's a very strange place!

Don't discount smart arses like me. I was walking through our village about a month ago and a guy was walking towards me with a very recognisable dog. Now the walker didn't know this but I knew his wife (and that's how I'd met the dog). So as we passed I looked at the dog, nodded and said "Milo" and then looked up at him (all this as we passed each other) and said "Cameron." Didn't stop just left him standing in the street, trying not to look back and stiffle my giggles. I emailed his wife later to confess but she suggested we keep it quiet for future hilarity. Oh, AREN'T we crazy :roll:

Dragging the thread back from the depths...

When I last posted in this thread, I was living in a shared house, but now I'm being all grown up and living alone. So when I heard someone call my name a couple of days ago, it really took me by surprise. In fact, I found it really unnerving.

The voice was very clear, although I didn't recognise it. I happened to be reading at the time, without anything going on in the background such as music or TV. The voice seemed to come from behind the sofa, low down near the floor, strangely. I jumped up and looked behind the sofa, fully expecting to see someone laid on the floor.

Now, to be fair, my name is popular (not common, of course ;) ) so it could have been someone passing outside (I live in a gardenless back to back). However, the double glazing makes that seem an unreasonable explanation.

Equally, it could have been one of my two adjoining neighbours, except that the voice was so distinct and clear, it certainly didn't feel like it had travelled though a brick wall.

So, obviously, it MUST be a spooky something :lol:

Unless you know something I don't...

I haven't seen this thread before, but it happens to me quite a lot. I think I hear my name called, quite loudly, look around but either no-one is there or it isn't anyone who is in the vicinity. I have wondered whether the brain has a bit of a malfunction and sends things along the wrong neural networks.

My first experience with this type of external phenomenon was when I was about 15 and in the countryside with no one around for many miles, I was sat in the cab of a truck, thinking about a recent argument when I suddenly heard a very loud voice call 'Are you alright?!' The voice was male but had no accent, and was quite metallic sounding. I described it to someone once as a hundred voices coming through one voice. The odd thing was, and I've since experienced the same thing with other occult manifestations, I wasn't disturbed until about half an hour later. It was definitely external, as if someone was sat in the cab next to me, and leaned over to my ear. During and immediately afterwards the atmosphere in the cab was electric. I've only experienced voices about twice since this event.

Could've sworn I'd already posted on this thread but can't find it so here goes.

My mother has, all her life, heard her mother's voice calling her to get up in the morning. Not every day, just when she was oversleeping or the alarm was set wrongly or wound down or whatever. She'll hear 'Jean! Jean! Get up!'
The voice wakes her, or rouses her if she's dozing.

This happened when she was a schoolgirl and later when she was going to work, and even when she had children of her own to get up for school.

Her mother was alive until nearly 20 years ago but her death made no difference. Mother still hears her voice now and then before she's fully awake.

It's her own subconscious cleverly waking her up with her mother's voice. It seems we can play tricks like that on ourselves. :cool:

It's her own subconscious cleverly waking her up with her mother's voice. It seems we can play tricks like that on ourselves. :cool:

As an unsettling variation upon this: if I speak my own name, in an echoing room (not outdoors, and not if I record myself) I quite distinctly hear it spoken in my dead father's voice.

I find it very unsettling (and now so do you), and perhaps I should've posted this under Minor Strangeness or suchlike.

But it fits here, too.

You really don't know me.
Not to call you by name, nor to see you in the street...but, much-better than a stranger.

You're probably made of stronger stuff than me. I'm besieged, beleaguered, beaten, been.

Time was, I used to have internal strength, resource, reserves. Now I'm just in a ping-pong pushback. So something as intimately, personally-affecting, as that, does disproportionately phase me.

I'm actually scared to test it now (am becoming a total wimp)

I was in town today and I passed by this guy I'd never seen before and he says "hi Bob" Bob being my real name. It's not the first time this has happened. I was in a queue an there was this kid in front of me. He turns around and says "hello Bob" Never seen him before. I pointed out to him my name was indeed Bob and showed him some ID. He was well pleased.

Could've sworn I'd already posted on this thread but can't find it so here goes.

My mother has, all her life, heard her mother's voice calling her to get up in the morning. Not every day, just when she was oversleeping or the alarm was set wrongly or wound down or whatever. She'll hear 'Jean! Jean! Get up!'

This happened when she was a schoolgirl and later when she was going to work, and even when she had children of her own to get up for school.

Her mother was alive until nearly 20 years ago but her death made no difference. Mother still hears her voice now and then before she's fully awake.

I have frequently throughout my life heard my mother softly calling my name to wake me up. When I was a child, she did it every school morning. When I moved out of the house, I would hear her voice waking me up even though I lived across the city from her, then later across the country. Then I got older and moved half-way around the world, and her voice still awakened me. It was always a nice gentle way to wake up. It's interesting that since she died, which was just recently, it hasn't happened again.

Not to call you by name, nor to see you in the street...but, much-better than a stranger.

You're probably made of stronger stuff than me. I'm besieged, beleaguered, beaten, been.

Time was, I used to have internal strength, resource, reserves. Now I'm just in a ping-pong pushback. So something as intimately, personally-affecting, as that, does disproportionately phase me.

I'm actually scared to test it now (am becoming a total wimp)

NOTHING scares me. Literally nothing. I've had one of the worst things happen that I could imagine, and I'm still here, and even if similar happened again it wouldn't be as bad because I've done it once.

There are secrets to learn in life. When you learn them it changes you - for the better or not, it makes no difference, you're changed - and I now know some of them and I'm changed.

I can't tell you the secrets because you have to learn them for yourself and you wouldn't believe me anyway.

So take it from me, nothing scares me, and if things still scare you, be grateful.

Yep, I thought I’d posted here too. I hear loud, sharp voices either on waking or falling asleep a lot, usually my name or a random phrase and usually someone close to me i.e. wife, daughter, mum - even the dog (although she doesn’t call my name, I just hear her bark loudly even though she’s still asleep downstairs). Come to think of it, maybe she is calling my name, also the voices are ALWAYS female (even the dog).

It’s a common enough occurrence for it to be listed on many mental health web pages as something to not worry about too much. In a weird way I quite like it!

Cycling home tonight on the cycle path, watching a plane ambling over and thinking 'If it veers left it's landing at Liverpool and if it's right it's Manchester!' when I passed a bloke, 40s, office worker type. He said 'Boo!' as I drew level.

Er, what? As a chat-up line it left a lot to be desired.

Clearly! I thank you. :cool:

my wife worked nights in a care home for a few years,with mainly elderly residents there.
one night when all the residents were tucked up asleep, she was doing the rounds checking rooms etc , and whilst walking down a corridor - alone- someone/something whispered -in a womans voice- loudly in her ear "lorraine" her normal reaction was to turn around expecting to see a resident there but... nobody around!

Aha! It features Gordon Rutter!

Never had the name thing myself (would crap myself if I did) but years ago, husband was once walking the dog along the river one late afternoon and it was foggy - which it often is here, being flat and sea level - so not something too spooky, but still....

And he said he clearly heard a feeble voice, coming from the river, saying "Help!" But he looked and there was no-one there. No-one washed up a week (or few weeks) after, either, and nothing reported on the news about someone falling in or anything.

It's tidal at this point and pretty dangerous. Quite a few suicides have gone in at a point above here, and been discovered at a point below here. But he swears when he looked, there was no-one there so he wrote it off as his imagination because it was foggy, etc.

I experience this a lot. I'm always asking my fiancé to repeat what she just said and she'll tell me that she never said anything , which I'm sure she did but she couldn't of done because I've even started doing it with work colleagues.

I suppose being a rock star means people call out your name all the time?

This is a little strange and I've never experienced it before. Last week working in my normal building, (not the spooky one), I went into the filing room to do the filing at around 02:00am. There are two other staff with me in the building, one male and one female both in the early sixties both with quite distinct accents.

As I opened the door I heard a young adult male voice call my name as if to get my attention. I turned around in the corridor and there was nobody there. I went to find the older male staff and he was on his break in another room and the female was also in a different room on her computer.

I shrugged and thought I'd imagined it.

This week, same time, exactly a week later entering the same room exactly the same thing happened with the same staff on who were pretty much doing what they were doing last week.

A young, male voice calling my name as if to get my attention. It wasn't deja vu as I didn't have that feeling and I'd thought about the previous incident last week.

I'd say if the person was real he would have raised his voice and would have been approx 10-15 meters away. Both times I thought it came from the direction to my left which is just an empty corridor. I wasn't thinking about the voice I heard last week I was focused on the filing which I detest doing.

You are the first people I've told so it wasn't a wind up and if anyone had come into the building we would have known about it.

I've had lots of fortean stuff happen over the years but i'd thought it had dried up, recently though it's picked up again. The weird thing is all the apparition stuff and noises never focused on me, I just been there to witness stuff. This is the first time it's become personal.

I had a broadly similar and strange set of experiences back in the mid 1970s. I was a keen motorcyclist back then (still am!) and had just passed my test. I was out for a ride with a friend of mine near a town centre and approaching a big roundabout with my friend in front on his bike -there were railings separating the road from the pavement - and suddenly, from my left I heard a mans voice shout out "Hey" very loud. I turned to look and saw a very tall man in his late 40s , bald with brown hair at the sides looking directly at me and beginning to run along the pavement waving and clearly wanting me to stop. He didn't take any notice of my friend in front. I didn't know him at all and , to be honest , I was a bit un-nerved by it and kept going. He continued running along for a time but I quickly outpaced him.

I didn't think too much about it, but was a bit puzzled. I didn't know him at all and he was normal looking but very tall.

About 3 months later I was out again with my friend on the bikes, going through a different town about 10 miles from the first when the same thing happened again with the same man, dressed the same and on a similar type of road with railing separating the road and pavement -again he ignored my friend completely who passed him first. Again I was unnerved by it and kept going.

About a month or so later the same thing happened yet again but this time I was riding alone to work in a different area and also was on a new bike which was bigger and a different colour -I had also bought a new helmet and riding gear to match the new bike (it was the 70s!).

Bizarre -I suppose I should have stopped to see what he wanted but to be honest, being only 17-18 at the time I was a bit scared in case he was a maniac or biker hater! Although he ignored my friend on his bike on the first two episodes and, at that time, there were a lot of bikes about so he would have had a lot to choose from!

I had a full face helmet so he couldn't have recognised me and as I mentioned above, something about him unnerved me. For those of you who have watched the 'Hammer House of Horror' series he looked very like the man in 'Two faces of Evil'! Thankfully I never saw him again.

I posted on another thread that I think my earliest Fortean experience is of being 2 or 3 and walking into the livingroom and hearing my voice said out loud very distinctly. I have the impression it was a male voice and there was nobody else in the house except my mum who was in the kitchen. To my knowledge this never happened again. I seem to remember reading this is actually a fairly common experience that happens to people when they are quite young.

Back