• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Wait a minute - you saw a horror movie you didn't like?! My faith in the world is shaken to its foundations.

I only saw the first PA, and thought it was OK but nothing more. The sequels looked like the same thing over and over so I didn't bother.

I give a fair number of films meh reviews. In the case of Zombie movies admitting that the score would be lower if no Zombies were involved!

Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo’s 2007 horror Inside (A L’Interieur) is one of the best horrors of the last decade, a terrifying and incredibly gory tale of a heavily pregnant woman (Alysson Paradis) under siege in her own home on Christmas Eve from a mysterious woman (Beatrice Dalle) who wants her baby and will go to any lengths to get it.

Now, Screen Daily reports that an impressive creative team is working on a remake. [REC] co-writer and co-director Jaume Balaguero (who also made the superb Sleep Tight) and Manu Diez (writer of [REC] 2 and 4) are writing the film for acclaimed director Miguel Ángel Vivas (Kidnapped, Extinction).

Tim Halsam from Embankment Films said “We zeroed in on the theme of heightened jeopardy centered on two warring female protagonists – Miguel Angel’s reference to an elevated The Hand That Rocks The Cradle kept coming back to us. Jaume had this great idea for the remake and, with Manu, they’ve reimagined the original film as a very classy and tense thriller. ...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/inside-remake-coming-from-the-makers-of-rec/

Remaking Inside. What could they possibly add to the childishly simple plot that the original didn't have? There's nothing extraneous in that film, they go through all the possibilities until they reach the end. It's not as if it's a particularly outdated movie either. Classing it up misses the point completely. Tch.

JERUZALEM BRINGS THE APOCALYPSE TO “THE REAL JERUSALEM”

There’s been a lot written about the emerging genre scene in Israel, with movies like Rabies and Big Bad Wolves impressing global audiences. Now, Doron and Yoav Paz have given us a hugely entertaining horror that makes incredible use of its setting: JeruZalem.

The film begins with two American teenagers, Sarah (Danielle Jadelyn) and Rachel (Yael Grobglas), on a trip to Jerusalem. They enjoy the nightlife, they have a great time, but their holiday takes a rather drastic turn for the apocalyptic. It’s the end of days, and demons are rising. Oh, and we see the whole thing through the eyes of Sarah’s Google Glass.

We had the chance to talk to Doron Paz ahead of the film’s screening at the UK Jewish Film Festival in London to talk about his experiences of shooting guerrilla-style in Jerusalem, the inspirations behind the movie, and what makes the city such a powerful place.

JeruZalem has been touring all over the world at film festivals, how are you finding the reaction so far?

It’s crazy. We just came back from the Dracula Film Festival in Transylvania, there is a festival in the town where Dracula’s castle is, and we won the first prize, which is really amazing. It’s screened in Mexico, and New York and London again for the Jewish Film Festival! It’s great. We’re especially excited for the release of the movie early next year.

There’s such a different energy to screenings with an audience. Especially in different countries, you can see how people react differently, which is amazing. The world premiere was in Montreal at Fantasia, it was crazy, 800 people, it was like a rock concert! Everybody screaming and shouting, the festival director goes on stage and he shouts, “Do you want to get scared?” Everybody clapping their hands, all through the movie, and then you screen it at FrightFest in London and it’s amazing, but they’re very polite as you British guys are, you sit and watch the movie, and then you clap.

What was the starting point for JeruZalem?

Yoav and I were thinking about making a POV movie for years. We had an idea about an American tourist coming to the old city and the backpacker’s life, not the one you see on postcards and National Geographic but the roughness, the real Jerusalem. We had this idea for so long, and the other idea was ‘How come nobody ever did a zombie movie, an apocalyptic movie, about Jerusalem?’ It’s the first city that comes to mind when you talk about the apocalypse. There are so many zombie movies, but I think only one, World War Z, deals with Jerusalem.

So we had these two ideas and then we read about Google Glass and it blew our mind. It was the beginning of this product and everyone was sure that it was going to be the next iPhone, the next big thing, and we said ‘OK, it’s a good excuse to tell a POV movie, and also we can add a layer of technology and tell the story in a different way.’ We love the idea of telling a traditional story but not just with POV but also with Facebook and apps and it’s another layer you can add to your movie, and we loved the idea. We wrote the script and then we went shooting!

The most important thing for us was that we wanted to show Jerusalem in a different kind of way. To give you an amusement park ride; take the audience inside the head of a tourist coming to Jerusalem and what she really sees. Not like the regular place, the underground, the nightlife, it’s a very special city. ...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/interviews/jeruzalem-brings-the-apocalypse-to-the-real-jerusalem/

Watched a couple of movies when I was off.

Midnight Son (2011)- Young pale chap who only works night shifts due to a skin condition realises he may be growing into something else. Brilliant film, best Vampire flick I've seen since Byzantium, filmed with a muted washed out palette that perfectly captures that languid feeling of being awake when no one else is. Highly recommended.

Deadly Spawn (1983) - Remembered this from a VHS I rented as a kid, loved it then, was unsure if it was going to be pants. My conclusion, it is pants, but in a good way, great monster (basically a giant mouth), worth a watch if it appears on Horror channel.

Deadly Spawn is an amateur movie that posts a whole swathe of YouTube videos to shame, even now. The main thing wrong with it is the most interesting character gets killed too early, because the actress had another job to go to so was hastily written out!

After gaining a huge amount of buzz on the festival circuit, from Sundance to FrightFest, Corin Hardy’s Irish horror movie The Hallow is finally hitting UK cinemas on Friday. It’s an intense creature feature that stars Joseph Mawle and Bojana Novakovic as a couple who realise that the locals aren’t the only unfriendly ones in the Irish woods they’ve moved to. There’s something in the trees, and it’s coming for them…

Blending influences from Guillermo del Toro and Studio Ghibli to David Cronenberg and Straw Dogs, The Hallow boasts excellent creature effect and proper scares.

We had the chance to talk to Hardy about his inspirations, influences and why practical effects are just better.

So was wanting to do something with this Irish folklore the inspiration for the film?

The inspiration was certainly wanting to tell a tale with new monsters, and looking for new monsters that weren’t zombies and werewolves and vampires. That took me back to fairytales and the essence of mythology, and then it was a case of looking for portrayals of fairies in a way that was darker and more dangerous for a horror movie.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/interviews/corin-hardy-the-hallow-is-straw-dogs-meets-pans-labyrinth/

For me, nothing gets close to the camera work, lighting and editing of 1963's The Haunting .. that film was a work of art, the misdirection camerawork, sound cues, our protagonist's mental health breaking down on screen. And that rubber door :eek: I've even just discovered a couple of fan set location videos on youtube :) ... The Haunting clearly wasn't made just to please studio executives. If you've never seen it, find it and watch it on your own.
In the dark. In the night.

Bastard: A killer couple hammer to death a motorist who stops to help them then kill a nosy attendant at a gas station. Another young couple, semi-runaways take to the road and are picked up by murderous duo. Arriving at a small town they see the local sheriff asleep on a lawn; hes involved in a troubled gay relationshp.

Little do they know that a psycho-killer is already at work in the area. We are talking real horror here: decapitation, spines being ripped out, ad hoc C-Sections. Not for the queasy. 6/10.

http://vodlocker.com/njqeiohrx2xz

just watched the babadook, it wasnt horror as i think of it, and i doubt i will ever watch it again but it certainly held my interest to the end.

The Hallow: A forest in the West of Ireland being sold off, locals object because the wood is supposed to be the Domain of the Fairy Folk. Suitably gruesome. I thought the locals were going to supply a lot of the Horror but it was the creatures of the Hallow. If anything the Horror went on for too long! These are not your usual Fairies, real monsters. Even leaves room for a sequel. 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2474976/

John Carpenter's remake of The Thing (in an era when people weren't howling with outrage at each remake announcement) is definitely in my top 5 favourites. Kurt Russell was the man in that .. the making of The Thing:

If the polychrome gothic pile appeals, you can, it seems, stay there! It's called the Ettington Chase Hotel.

In tribute to another thread, there are over 1,000 reviews on tripadvisor!

I'm not sure if anyone complains of ghosts but there is a poster on page one who says she just could not get warm! :eek:

HOLY SHIT !! you can actually stay there for real !! thankyouverymuchjameswhitheadfortheinfo :) ... one day when I can afford it I'm crashing with Hubert Crane's spirit. I might wait till I'm about 90, book a room and roll a 7 so I end there forever .. the ultimate fanboy nerd tribute ...

My favourite in the film is the obviously deeply affected and haunted housekeeper with sunken eyes and a fixed smile who reads out her daily automated instructions, the hipster girl ignoring and talking over her as the housekeeper keeps going .. "No one will come closer to here after then ..... in the dark .. in the night" .. it sounds campy but it just still works. The camera work is astounding still today, only Sam Raimi has come close, he even ripped off the "So who's hand was I holding?" scene for Evil Dead 2.

Bruce Campbell's comedy tribute to this epic in Waxwork 2/ Lost in Time ..

Last edited:
I made a mistake! The hotel you want is the Ettington Park Hotel, not Ettington Chase!

Now I seem to have turned my whole post into a link - at least it now goes to the right place! :)

I've been watching this tonight:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0351g0z/fear-itself

A feature length documentary on the meaning of horror films, illustrated with about a hundred clips ranging from Nosferatu and Frankenstein through Night of the Demon and Psycho to Suspiria and Altered States then up to date with It Follows and Pas Tenebras Lux (which has one of the most incredible opening ten minutes of the past five years of cinema). All the way through is an almost whispered narration, making observations and delivering anecdotes which may or may not be true. It's very compelling.

Excellent, thanks. I'd seen most of them, but there were a few that had me going, hey, what on earth is that? The Bollywood horror Raat I can only find on YouTube, so no subtitles, pity, Bollywood horror can be entertainingly crazy. The Japanese ones I wasn't so familiar with either (apart from Ringu, obvs). The one I suspected was a hoax about having an actual cannibal killer in the cast turned out to be real!

Bone Tomahawk. This film has some usual Western tropes: Indian Sacred Burial Site desecrated, Indians abduct a Deputy Sheriff and a Doctor, The Pursuit.

But this is no ordinary Western, the Native-Americans involved are Cannibals. Another Indian describes them as Troglodytes, cave dwelling inbred Cannibals (maybe they earlier abducted members of the Bean Clan).

This is both a Savage Western and a Cannibal Holocaust film. People are butchered alive, decapitated, limbs severed. Yet another film to be avoided by the faint-hearted and squeamish. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks. I'd seen most of them, but there were a few that had me going, hey, what on earth is that? The Bollywood horror Raat I can only find on YouTube, so no subtitles, pity, Bollywood horror can be entertainingly crazy. The Japanese ones I wasn't so familiar with either (apart from Ringu, obvs). The one I suspected was a hoax about having an actual cannibal killer in the cast turned out to be real!
The Indian Evil Dead remake was fun although I'd recommend turning the volume down because of the annoying annunciation from the reviewer ..

Has to be better than the Turkish Exorcist. It's The Exorcist only in Turkish and a bit shite.

Victor Frankenstein: While we have a young Frankenstein this is no Young Frankenstein as Igor's hump turns out to be an abscess which is swiftly drained by VF. But there is a verbal allusion to YF. No numbskull, Igor is an assistant, nay, a partner to VF.

VF meets Igor during a visit to the circus where the poor soul is abused but VF recognises Igoe's abilities when he observes him save the life of an acrobat. He rescues Igor from the circus but an evil clown is killed during the escape. This draws the attention of a religiously obsessed Scotland Yard Inspector.

A Steampunk version of VF set in London during the late 19th Century captures the horror and wonder of the story but has a vein of humour running through it. The Monster when he finally appears, bears an uncanny resemblance to IDS. Definitely leaves the prospect of a sequel. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1976009/

Jason's back ! :cool: ...

The writer's secured but the director isn't .... until then ... Harry Manfredini famously scored the first film to include a "CHI CHI CHI MAH MAH MAH" sound effect every time something nasty was about to kick off in the Friday The 13th films.
Even back then people were saying it was a rip off sound from Pink Floyd's 'Careful With That Axe Eugene" record (about 4 mins and ten seconds into the below video) ..

The 'people' behind the first Jason movie claimed that it was Pamela Vorhees's voice remixed from a later scene in the film when she say's "Kill her Mommy" to imitate her dead son, so ... Ki Ki KI Ma Ma Ma became almost as famous as John Williams eminent shark attack 'DUR Du ... DUR Du' film score for the shark attack sequences in Jaws for 80's horror fans. Either way, he's back. The man behind the mask.

More info:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73894

Last edited:
Apparently there's only one Friday the 13th next year, so they better get a move on if they want to open the film then. Good thing is it won't be found footage, I suppose.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my wee search for this film on this forum bared no fruit, I watched a very bizarre film the other night called Rubber (2010). I have talking about this movie since because I can't believe I enjoyed a film about a killer car tyre! So how do I explain how this movie works? The visuals are fantastic, acting so-so and story quite confusing. But please if you're into B-Movies or just fancy a change, take a look at the links below and give it a go.

IMDB gave it a measly 5.8, I would certainly give it 7.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

Trailer:

Krampus: A different sort of xmas film. Suitably horrifying, far darker than I expected. Krampus is the mirror image of of Santa, punishing children who have been naughty. But this Krampus is more Satan than Dark Santa, dragging entire families down to the Underworld.

Mostly live action with a short animated flashback to the grandmothers childhood during WW2 when she summoned up Krampus. Good use of puppets and prosthetic effects. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3850590/

Back