Invasive Species

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Vid at link.

'Alien' barnacles washed up on Isles of Scilly

Thousands of goose barnacles have washed up on the Isles of Scilly attached to a piece of driftwood. Photographer and wildlife expert Lucy McRobert, who lives on St Mary's, was tipped off by a friend about a long length of wood on the beach at St Mary's Harbour. The wood was encrusted with "thousands of goose barnacles."

Published 2 days ago

Section BBC News. Subsection Cornwall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-devon-55078745

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Florida's recently inaugurated experiment with using dogs to track down invasive pythons has had its first success.
Florida’s new python-sniffing dogs have 1st success

Truman, the python-sniffing black Labrador retriever, recently tracked down his first snake in a new program Florida is using to eradicate the invasive species.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission recently began training Truman and another dog named Eleanor to detect a python’s scent and alert handlers when they’ve come across one. The first success was last week when Truman found an 8-foot (2.4-meter) Burmese python in the Rocky Glades Public Small Game Hunting Area in Miami-Dade County. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/wildlife-snakes-miami-florida-dogs-946cadff4d27bdcefb44f1259de6493a

Reactions: Jim

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Florida officials are meeting resistance to their proposed ban on multiple types of invasive reptiles that have caused extensive damage and expensive responses.
'Snake-pocalypse'? Florida plans ban on owning pythons, many other 'high-risk' reptiles

If wildlife officials get their way later this month, Florida will ban owning or breeding six types of pythons, the green anaconda and nine other "high-risk" reptiles.

Biologists say the scaly subjects of their prohibition wreak ecological mayhem by swallowing native birds, mammals as large as deer, and in the Burmese python's case, also spread a foreign parasite that chokes native pygmy rattlesnakes to death.

But serpent lovers and critics of the proposal say the move is nothing less than a state-orchestrated snake-pocalypse targeting their pets and businesses. ...

FWC says Burmese pythons and the other 15 exotic species are a significant threat to Florida’s ecology, economy and human health and safety. And managing the threat is not cheap. FWC and its federal partners spend more than $8 million a year to manage not just the animals but the destruction they cause.

Iguanas, for one, burrow into and cause extensive damage to seawalls, canal banks, roads and water control structures. And dealing with tegu lizards alone consumes a third of the agency's budget for managing invasive species. ...
FULL STORY: https://news.yahoo.com/snake-pocalypse-florida-plans-ban-120033363.html

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think there is a certain amout of prejudice when it cines to non native/invasive species in the UK with regard to the cuteness/attractiveness/tastiness factor, rabbits, grey squirrils and muntjack deer are all invasive species that cause untold damage to the enviroment but no consolidated extermination program is in place to deal with them, why? Because they are cute, where as singnal crayfish and asian hornets, for example are ugly and concerted efforts are being made to exterminate these populations, plants such as rhododendron and acer (Japanese Maple) are attractive to look at but are an invasive species and are generally left alone where as Japanese knot weed and floating pennywort are not so pleasing on the eye and are routinly destroyed, rainbow trout are a tasty fish and no effort is made to remove them, where as the top-mouth gudgeon, not so tasty and massive efforts are made to destroy these invaders.

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I mean it's not like they didn't have enough to start with. Florida has more species of snakes than any other state in the US, not to mention alligators and american crocodiles.
The Alligators & Crocs are native though, not invasive.

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Alligators & Crocs are native though, not invasive.
That the point of my post, neither were the 45 native snake species. Clarity is all

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You need to work a bit harder then.

They eat anything and breed all year round, I was told by a hunting friend.

(And have wimpy antlers)
But they do have fangs :oops:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
You need to work a bit harder then.

They eat anything and breed all year round, I was told by a hunting friend.

(And have wimpy antlers)
a) Oddly, I haven't seen a munty on my permissions for many weeks.

b) Yes, they do: When I was in my teens DEFRA reckoned that there were about 5,000 muntjac in the UK. In 2009 that had increased to 150,000 and was increasing by about 8.2% per annum. I make that about 285,000 today. Not good news for our environment.

c) Its antlers and fangs may appear wimpy, but they know how to use them:

"Parents and pet owners have been warned to avoid an ill-tempered deer which slashed two dogs which disturbed it in a Bedfordshire park.

It is thought to be a Chinese water deer or Muntjac...

Ten dogs were savaged in and around Laurel Wood at Ampthill Park last winter and spring, and officials believe the same animal might be at work again this year.

"Gussie, our dog, had scampered off into a thicket.

"When she came back she had a big deep cut on one side and slashes on her leg.

"We took her to the vet. They were really nasty, deep wounds
."

Treatment including stitches and having the wound drained cost £600."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/8303280.stm

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A small deer ran across the road ahead of my car recently. I'm always encountering deer, foxes, pheasants or squirrels crossing the road. Have to be ultra-careful.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That the point of my post, neither were the 45 native snake species. Clarity is all
According to the report they're proposing to ban only the foreign imports/invasive species which have become a problem to native species/environment. OK, Florida may have plenty of native snake species of it's own but presumably the FWC want to keep these.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
According to the report they're proposing to ban only the foreign imports/invasive species which have become a problem to native species/environment. OK, Florida may have plenty of native snake species of it's own but presumably the FWC want to keep these.
There are yearly python hunts that take place in Flodida, professionaly hunters from all over the world compete to kill as many as they can over the event, Kathy Reichs bases one of her novels around one of these events

https://kathyreichs.com/swamp-bones/

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There are yearly python hunts that take place in Flodida, professionaly hunters from all over the world compete to kill as many as they can over the event, Kathy Reichs bases one of her novels around one of these events

https://kathyreichs.com/swamp-bones/
They would do better with a season long bounty vs these glamor shows. If the moneys enough trappers - hunters will do the rest.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Vid at link.

Northern Pacific seastar: The sea intruder causing havoc in Tasmania

The Northern Pacific seastar has spread rapidly through the River Derwent in Tasmania, Australia, since it was introduced from Japan in the 1980s.
Tasmanians hope a new effort to remove the species - which has no predator locally - will help save the critically endangered spotted handfish.

Video by Isabelle Rodd

Published12 hours ago

Section BBC News Subsection Australia

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-56276521