• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is The Weather Changing?

Me too, Maximus otter

Things changed recently, -for me.

I moved to Cornwall for a while; the climate is very different to Wiltshire.

People move around more often; maybe this is where our perception of climate change comes from??

Been cycling the same stretch for 20 years and I've noticed the wind is consistently stronger over the last 5 years and lasts for longer. Everyone else has noticed this too.

Been cycling the same stretch for 20 years and I've noticed the wind is consistently stronger over the last 5 years and lasts for longer. Everyone else has noticed this too.
The thing is 20 years is no more than a tick of the clock in climate terms. The normal temperature of the planet (measured in geological time) is considerably warmer than the current climate which has lasted for a mere 5,000 years or so. Next move could be back in to an ice age or up to the planetary norm. No-one knows.

Incidentally the planetary norm could be highly beneficial, not a catastrophe at all. Last kick of the ice age would not be good, though.

The thing is 20 years is no more than a tick of the clock in climate terms. The normal temperature of the planet (measured in geological time) is considerably warmer than the current climate which has lasted for a mere 5,000 years or so. Next move could be back in to an ice age or up to the planetary norm. No-one knows.

Incidentally the planetary norm could be highly beneficial, not a catastrophe at all. Last kick of the ice age would not be good, though.

That maybe the case, but seasons have shifted as has weather.

Today, the bottom of town was a paddling pool. In the sixties, it would have been covered by deep snow. As far as seasons go, it seems you’ll get more snow nearer Easter these days.

A few years ago my wife and I briefly toyed with the idea of selling up and moving to the Canary Islands. I struggle with our winters and wanted a better climate. After a lot of discussion the wife nailed her colours to the UK mast and I gave up the dream of relocating to somewhere sunnier and warmer.
Walking the dogs through the Essex countryside in the pissing rain day after day after day has left me regretting I didn’t put up a better argument for the move.

Today, the bottom of town was a paddling pool. In the sixties, it would have been covered by deep snow. As far as seasons go, it seems you’ll get more snow nearer Easter these days.
Remember Boxing Day 2007 in North Tyneside and I think it was 16 degrees and the following Easter week in 2008 it snowed for a week.
Saying that a year later it snowed on 6 days right uptown Christmas Day and then again on New Years Day and had snow in in January, February, March and then the Beast From The East in Last 2 Weeks of November and again on 19th to the 24th of December and stayed till 28th so Christmas build up to Christmas Day was fantastic.

It's raining iguanas in Florida.

The US state of Florida is braced for a cold Christmas with falling iguanas one of the hazards predicted by forecasters.

Morning lows on Saturday could drop into the low 30s and 40s Fahrenheit, the weather service said.

“Brrr! Much colder temps expected for Christmas,” the National Weather Service in Miami tweeted earlier this week.

“Falling iguanas are possible.”

Because they are cold-blooded reptiles, iguanas living in South Florida trees often become immobile in chilly weather, causing them to drop to the ground when the thermometer plummets, though they are still alive.

In Jacksonville, the temperature was expected to drop 50F, from about 80F on Thursday to around 30F on Friday, putting it on the path to being one of the five coldest Christmas Days on record, according to the National Weather Service in Jacksonville.

A squall line with severe storms and fast-moving winds also was headed for north Florida on Christmas Eve.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40196625.html

Iguanas are invasive non-native & a pest in Florida. I seem to remember Jim on this forum said the tails are edible. Could make a different sort of christmas dinner.

Maybe someone could suggest to The Don he starts serving them up in his Mar-A-Lago establishment.

Was watching It's a Wonderful Life last night when it started to snow from 11.45 to just after 12am so that's my 5th of 6th White Christmas.

Walking the hounds Christmas morning we had to Wade through the river Brain where it has burst its banks again. This has been the norm over the last few weeks and at times we have had to take detours to pass the deeper areas of water. Whilst this is an occasional occurrence it seems to be increasing in frequency these days.

D77BD149-25E9-46FD-BD00-1EEF844FC4CB.jpeg

Near me, central Bedford is now flooded. The River Great Ouse seems to have burst its banks.
My friend in Bedford is probably not affected, as he's not that close to the river, but I may check a bit later.

My unsurprising proposition is that the world's weather is (for some of us, at least) entirely broken. And for purposes of clarification: I consider this as a tangible threat for humanity to be equal to, or worse than, 'The Virus'.
I am being deadly serious about this. The sheer increased quantity of constant precipitation across much of the British Isles is staggering. And it is not an acceptable counter for anyone to simply state that this is some kind of tiny blip within a continuum of overall self-equalising variations.

Nobody in media circles ever really touches upon this: and, by any definition, just focusing upon the absolute root cause is effectively a distraction. This could, in relatively-short timescales become much, much worse for those of us afflicted by these effects.

If I was standing in a burning house, questions as to whether the situation had been caused by arson, an electrical fault or a bolt of lightning would all be moot. The true priority would be putting the damn fire out, escaping, or calling the fire brigade....or at the very least, actually noticing the flames would be a start

I've long thought that the sheer amount of house building and paving-over of front gardens to make parking spaces must - surely - make a difference to the amount of flooding? i.e. the water simply doesn't have the same ability to soak into the ground as it once did?

This doesn't of course explain why the rain might be increasing, but may go some way to explaining why there is so much flooding?

Or am I very wrong?

I've long thought that the sheer amount of house building and paving-over of front gardens to make parking spaces must - surely - make a difference to the amount of flooding? i.e. the water simply doesn't have the same ability to soak into the ground as it once did?

This doesn't of course explain why the rain might be increasing, but may go some way to explaining why there is so much flooding?

Or am I very wrong?
I think there's an element of truth in that.

The water simply doesn't have the same ability to soak into the ground as it once did?
Or am I very wrong?
True... but there's more to it than that I fear; like fore-instance, Farmers plant most crops in their fields in dead straight lines (guided a lot via satellite coordinates). This I imagine produces rain-run-off's around the edges of fields making an easy get away for the water to quickly run away from the overall ground surfaces, whilst removing countless amounts of soil that get washed away with it to finish up in our rivers then emptying eventually into the seas.

Same with trees, being an ex Forestry planter, all the rough terrain that was designated for plantations areas in Scotland were ploughed up
once again in dead straight lines, then the trees themselves have to be planted on top of each sod that the plough leaves behind i.e. so it all finishes up in straight lines with very little room between each tree when they eventually reach maturity, leaving only dank, pitch-dark, inhospitable areas between each tree.

True, it must make for maximum profitability of return for the owners, but with it comes consequence's for rain-run-off and very little wild-life within the forests pinning the wildlife to only being able to frequent the edges of forest's, or area's of open ground where area's of trees have been removed.

Also, I imagine that as certain parts of the icefields are falling and melting away into the oceans, this must surely bring about changes with the amount of water that is available to eventually evaporate up into the air from our oceans, producing more cloud, and hence changing weather patterns bringing more unpredictable weather which brings more chances of rain to fall onto the land... or so I would imagine?

You are correct. Hard surfaces quicken runoff, thusly increasing floods as the water cannot get through limited channel fast enough.

Poor maintenance of storm drains, ditches and streams can also cause backup. A breeze block in a stream can cause flooding upstream, -it takes as little as that.

What do your local drains/ditches/streams look like?

Please dont ask me why a major hotspot locally is on top of the hill....

I am not sure where I have mentioned this somewhere, but the weather services are warning that a unusual rush of warm air into the North Pole is splitting the Polar Vortex.

Around the middle of this January, this huge push of cold air down will bring extreme cold and snow in the U.S., UK, and will put Europe in a deep freeze.

Scientists feel the Polar Vertex will arrive in two weeks and again is warning the U.S., UK, and Europe that cold misery is coming.

Rivers have gone over throughout the town, managed to get through on some footpaths this afternoon that were impassable at 07.00 this morning.
Chatting to one guy he says water has dropped 10 inches since this morning.

Attachments

• 3CF7EE90-41CC-4384-8EB4-11741468CB8B.jpeg
    3CF7EE90-41CC-4384-8EB4-11741468CB8B.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 408B9153-4E10-4EDB-8A44-EF03AEBB96E8.jpeg
    408B9153-4E10-4EDB-8A44-EF03AEBB96E8.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 99CDFAD7-807F-4FFC-B537-6654595448BE.jpeg
    99CDFAD7-807F-4FFC-B537-6654595448BE.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 19
  • A7DFC70D-B503-48FA-805A-5F3450823D1A.jpeg
    A7DFC70D-B503-48FA-805A-5F3450823D1A.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 18
Rivers have gone over throughout the town, managed to get through on some footpaths this afternoon that were impassable at 07.00 this morning.
Chatting to one guy he says water has dropped 10 inches since this morning.
I've just got back from Tesco. On the way over, I encountered a flood across the road, because the meadow here is flooded:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1..._6r98KLO74dOh-jwgHQw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
It's strange, as the rain hasn't been that strong today. I guess the river and the meadow haven't had a chance to drain down from previous days of rain.
Thankfully, it wasn't too deep for the car and I got through OK.

Back