• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
Barbara

a) Yes.

b) Not a great deal.

Although I would like to draw people's attention to the serial killers of New Orleans, who went missing in the 19th Century. Okay, no-one knows where they went, but likewise (using the same argument as Ms. Cornwell) no-one knows that they didn't head for London...

http://www.dreamwater.com/sancho/lalaurie.html

http://www.horrorseek.com/horror/drlarry/lalaurie.htm

http://www.prairieghosts.com/lalaurie.html

http://unsolvedmysteries.com/usm15789.html

If nothing else, they're worth a look.

sickert

Thanks Helen,
I haven't finished the book yet so can't say yet, and also I'm not a JTR expert,though I always read the latest books! bThey all seem to put forward convincing arguments, I I never know what to believe, I would have to take some time to think it all out sometime!! At the moment I seem to think Maybrick is the least likely, that seemed to be a bit far fetched,

Thanks anyway,I'll check the links

Barbara

Well, this thread has had it's fair share of Cornwell bashing. I'm loathe to resurrect the sport!;)

If you get time to browse through the previous pages, Barbara, you'll find we did a pretty good job ripping Ms. Cornwell apart.

Maybrick and April Showers

Maybrick is nowhere near as bad a suspect as Sickert or Gull, but then, those New Orleans killers had to have gone somewhere. What doesn't fit is the way their behavior would have to have changed. They were more the Mengele type, doing sadistic "experiments" on people.

Who knows, however, how this pair's perversions might have changed as their advanced or worsened?

H. H. Holmes also intrigues me. Where was he in summer 1888? Of course, he tended toward passive murder by gas, etc.

MOs and signatures have been changed before with other serial killers. Personally, I would draw a line at leaping from a poisoner such as Chapman to a slasher like the Ripper, but certainly Lalaurie's had the necessary blood lust, and medical knowledge. They would have looked pretty respectable. Perhaps Madam Lalaurie even indulged in cross dressing and went out alone?

Quite Possible

Oh yes, I agree it's quite possible they changed methods, or that their technique or needs evolved. They did have the methods. And isn't it charming, too, to think that it may have been a Jill the Ripper after all, as Conan Doyle suggested?

No need for her to have cross-dressed, either, as a woman would have been completely unthreatening to the victims.

I think the cross-dressing would be important. Firstly, to meet witness descriptions of the victims last being seen with a man; but mainly, because I feel the victims would have been more like to disappear into a quiet alley with (what they believed to be) a man, rather than a woman. After all, men were their business, and a female serial killer in drag may well have been 'safer' around the East End than if she had appeared as a woman - as a woman she could have been propositioned while she stood around waiting for a victim.

Women in Drag

Okay, I can go along with that. Makes sense. Although a woman dressed as such could probably also come up with a pretense to get the women to come along into a dark place.

I was also thinking that a switch might have been made -- go in as a man, come out as a woman. A. Conan Doyle suggesed as much but was thinking of a man. This New Orleans woman, however, well, who knows? She also would have had her husband as accomplice, too, either as lure or as lurking thug to help subdue.

As you know, I favor the notion that there was more than one person involved, which accounts for the mix of signals, as it were.

The mix of signals could be explained by more than one killer. Even more so were they different genders. Particularly when one considers that some of the most successful serial killing partnerships are male/female.

Unless, of course, we could be dealing with Hollywood's best serial killer - the multiple personality, with mixed genders, with pyschotic personalities, and 'obsessive-compulsive' personalities. A good way to explain how someone could rip a woman apart one minute and appear perfectly normal the next?

By the way, that wasn't meant to be serious!;)

Bloody Clergy

I can see it having been clergy, sure. Why not?

Can't see this as the most reasonable of all motives, though. Show us a parallel.

It's not been explored because there does not seem to be any likely clergy candidate, that's all. Nought to do with taboo.

Patterns

In the Ripper killings, the canonical five, there are three distinct characteristics, three patterns it seems. Some say JTR was obviously a Disorganized type of killer. Others say Organized. And still others say no, he was a Hybrid.

I simply asked one day, why can't all these patterns be accurate? Why not three killers? A trio up to something. Perhaps a folie-a-trois, rare as that may in fact be.

A look-out, an enticer, and a strong-arm man to hold her as the enticer becomes slicer, perhaps? I don't know. Haven't worked it out that far yet.

As for which murders, well, I suppose the interrupted one on the night of the double event is least supportive of there being more than one killer, but then again, no reason a trio couldn't have been interrupted.

What would motivate a small group like this? No clue, but I'd suggest Charles Manson may have some clue. And this New Orleans couple fits the bill well, for a duo, by the way.

Hope So

I am not familiar enough with that account or incident but for the sake of my notion-in-passing, I sure hope so.

Pack Attack

Boys to men.

--En Vogue. (Scary Spice?)

Emma Elizabeth Smith. 45 years of age...went out on April 3rd of 1888, she was a prostitute. Often seen with bruises, black eyes, that sort of thing, always getting thrown out of pubs for drunken disorderly behaviour. At about 12:15 AM of the 4th of April, she was seen talking to a man in Limehouse. About four hourse later she got back to her lodgings, her face bloodied, and heavy bleeding from a wound in her vagina. She later reported (while lying in recovery at whitechapel hospital) that she was returning home when at least three young men or youths followed her from Whitechapel Church. By this I think its meant "Christchurch" spitalfields. I need to check that. Then on the corner of Brick Lane and Wentworth Street, they beat her, raped her, and forced an object into her vagina, tearing the perineum, then robbed her and ran off into the night...leaving her for dead. Only by great force of will, she got home.

--Interesting and not too uncommon, really. Rape and assault with objects is a typical thing. Rather makes me wonder if this wasn't personal. Old boyfriend and mates, perhaps?

now, this could well have been the nichol's gang or even one of any amount of gangs. the motive could be quite simple...to ruin the stock of a rival gangs source of income perhaps?

--Doubtful -- they'd cut her face and breasts or just kill or even kidnap and put her elsewhere. I had once asked about whether the prostitutes back then were run by pimps. If so, the Ripper murders could well have been nothing but a pimp's turf war. Rather silly way to do it, though, given that it tended to scare off most of the punters and many of the girls.

She wasn't declared a ripper victim till september that same year.

--On what grounds was she added to the list?

interestingly, though she may be by ripperologists, a ruled out victim (which is perhaps why I suggest we ignore the authority of ripperologists on this, as common consensus on these matters is often established by vogue rather than evidence sometimes)

--Quite true, these things do ebb and flow in vogue tides.

...Israel Schwartz also supports the "more than one" theory...Schwartz is one of the few who very well may have seen the killer.

Here's his statement to the police....okay guilty of copy and paste here.

--No harm if you cite the source.

..but in an endevour to explore ground that often gets shaken off for no good reason, its worth it to show what history has to offer in support of your theory. I might add that a lot of papers (except the star) didn't chose to mention Israel Schwartz at the time. The fact that he was a_Hungarian immigrant and was described as a Jew would perhaps in some peoples minds be a suggested indication of why that might have been

--Yes, beneath notice.

This is his statement taken on the day of the murder of Lizzy Stride....September 30th.

12.45 a.m. 30th. Israel Schwartz of 22 Helen Street, Backchurch Lane, stated that at this hour, on turning into Berner Street from Commercial Street and having got as far as the gateway where the murder was committed, he saw a man stop and speak to a woman, who was standing in the gateway. The man tried to pull the woman into the street, but he turned her round and threw her down on the footway and the woman screamed three times, but not loudly. On crossing to the opposite side of the street, he saw a second man standing lighting his pipe. The man who threw the woman down called out, apparently to the man on the oppos- ite side of the road, 'Lipski', and then Schwartz walked away, but finding that he was followed by the second man, he ran so far as the railway arch, but the man did not follow so far.

Schwartz cannot say whether the two men were together or known to each other. Upon being taken to the Mortuary Schwartz ident- ified the body as that of the woman he had seen. He thus describes the first man, who threw the woman down:- age, about 30; ht, 5 ft 5 in; comp., fair; hair, dark; small brown moustache, full face, broad shouldered; dress, dark jacket and trousers, black cap with peak, and nothing in his hands.

--Fits H. H. Holmes. LOL

Second man: age, 35; ht., 5 ft 11in; comp., fresh; hair, light brown; dress, dark overcoat, old black hard felt hat, wide brim; had a clay pipe in his hand.

--Sherlock Holmes, perhaps. // More seriously, Schwartz doesn't seem to know if the fellow who followed him was doing so inadvertently, or to some purpose.

If Schwartz is to be believed, and the police report of his statement casts no doubt on it, it follows ... that the man Schwartz saw and described is the more probable of the two to be the murderer.

--No. Masher, perhaps. He did not see a murder. He may have seen someone who later killed her, yes. But all he saw was an assault that could have ended right there. We don't know. As to the other man, if he were in cahoots with the attacker, why follow Schwartz, who was obviously fleeing and not wanting to get involved? If to stop him from speaking with a cop, he would have attacked, not followed.

--I'm not convinced this was a pack attack, nor that there was any connection between the men except in Schwartz's interpretation, but then again, it is provocative and should have been investigated more thoroughly if possible. Not sure how one would go about it, frankly.
-------------

So your lurer and your look out theory is supported simply by other events which occured at the time.

--Yes, it's paralleled at least, in Schwartz's testimony. Very interesting stuff. Shows that the murders might not have been a crazy person at all, but strictly business.

--Chilling thought.

Stop Looking In London

Jack the Ripper did not spring from nowhere. He shows up in Whitechapel already a practiced killer. He's done this before, and several times. He is a fully-developed serial killer who mutilates his victims.

Because there were no mutilation murders prior to what we call the Ripper murders in 1888, (possibly 1887 of course), we must conclude that, unless Jack was a local who went away often, (sailor?), he was very likely not from those parts. He was either an interloper, as someone from the upper classes would have been, or he's an immigrant.

Whitechapel was mostly immigrants. I'm sure they have at least rough figures showing where most of them came from -- eastern Eurpoean Jews, yes, but I mean specific countries, etc.

Has anyone looked for mutilation murders in the years prior to 1888 in the places where most of the immigrants to Whitechapel originated?

Should be done because this killer had to have developed somewhere and mutilation murders tend to stick in the mind and in the media. Newspaper accounts could possibly still exist, although wars have made that less likely than it would otherwise be.

Find the Ripper's cradle and nursery and you may figure out who it was.

I think Schwartz's status as the best witness is compromised by the fact he was witness to events concerning the murder of Stride and not one of the other four canonicals.

Reason being that I'm coming round to the view Stride was quite possibly not a Ripper victim. I just can't get my head round the fact he changed tack for this murder, and used a different knife to that used in the other cases, including the murder of Eddowes an hour or so later. Why would he do that? Unless he carried more than one knife and just happened to fancy employing the short one in Stride's case.

I guess it all comes down to how common the murder of working-class women was in those parts at that time. As I recall, not that common.

So the argument against Stride as Ripper victim is that she wasn't mutilated and a different type of knife was used.

And the argument for says that the absence of mutilations is explained by the fact the killer was interrupted, and this is further suggested by the fact he vents his unexpurgated spleen on Eddowes shortly afterwards.

Actually, I've just talked myself back into believing Stride was a Ripper victim.

Problem is, I'm just going back over stuff I've read a hundred times before, remembering and forgetting it in equal parts as I go. There's nowt new to bring up.

I think the hunt for the killer is at a dead end, unless some DNA angle can be worked in. And how would you do that? There is no DNA evidence available. What we need is: grave of suspect, from which we can obtain DNA, and samples of rogue DNA on victims or their possessions. And it's just not going to be there after 115 years is it?

Object Rape Vs. Mutilation

It's quite a different thing to rape a woman with an object than to mutilate her body after her throat's been cut.

Entirely different motivations.

It remains doubtful that the latter is a turf war thing.

Also, don't become too hung up on genitals, those women made their livings with much more than just a pretty kitty.

Good Stuff

Good stuff about the other murders surrounding the canononical Ripper murders, and I still think we might be able to find his pattern elsewhere.

Emperor Zombie wrote: "Have you ever heard of Fogelma? a norweigan seaman. a mysterious lunatic who died in Morris Plains lunatic Asylum in 1902. He claimed he was the ripper in his fearful last days. His sister, from whom the name Fogelma was taken, arrived in last days there, and told the people there he'd done some terrible things some years before in London, and showed newspaper clippings of his crimes.

"Take into account then this, that similar murders began in Jamaica of December 1888. more drunken prostitutes where disembowelled in Managua, Nicaragua, in the following year. A close study of The Times shipping collums may bear more fruit."

I had not heard of him, and I'm curious about the Managua and Jamaica murders, too. Any further on them?

EZ wrote - "But what knowledge would our killer have needed about human anatomy when you consider this....

there were over a vast number of newspapers covering the killings at the time. The killer...infact anybody reading the newspaper would have known enough medical knowledge to retrieve the same items the second time around..."

Well, no. It's quite tricky finding some of the organs the Ripper took and even trickier cutting them out neatly, which he apparently did. He'd rooted around in bodies before, is the point. Human bodies.

Surgeon? Maybe. Undertaker? Possible. May even have been a grave robber of some sort, although unlikely, given his penchant for living victims.

Emperor Zombie said:
Wasn't there three gents involved in the attack on ruled out victim Emily smith (was that her name?) who tried to insert something into her womb...that night when someone heard some antisemtic remark or another?

Emma Smith was attacked on Tuesday 3rd April, 1888, and died the next day. She survived long enough to give an account of the attack. At around 1.30am, she was passing St. Mary's Church when she noticed three men coming towards her. She was concerned, so she crossed the road rather than walk past them. They followed her, and in Osborn Street, they attacked, robbed and raped her. She returned to her lodgings between 2-3am, badly beaten, her right ear almost torn off. She also complained about pains in her lower abdomen. The deputy keeper of the lodging house took her to the London Hospital, where the house surgeon detereming that, in addition to her other injuries, a blunt object, possibly a stick, had been forced into her vagina, and had torn the perineum. She fell into a coma and died of peritonitis at 9am, 4th April.

The principal suspects were the Old Nichol Gang, who operated around Old Nichol Street at the top of Brick Lane.

The prime motive in the attack appears to have been robbery.

The night of the double event was when Jack was, according to some, disturbed at his work. A woman was seen to have been forced to the ground, and the assailant called out 'Lipski' to the witness. Lipski was hanged for murder (poisoning) in August, 1887, although Abberline recognised the name as being a derogatory label for Jews.

Israel Schwartz, the witness, described two men attacking her. He saw the body of Stride in the morgue and swore it was the woman he saw being attacked.

Media Not To Be Trusted

It calls into question all the media reports, and in truth none of us ever trusted the media anyway, did we?

Of far more interest would be the missing police files, which are particularly interested precisely because they're missing.

As stated long ago in this thread, it surprises me that Scotland Yard didn't simply frame a patsy for the crimes, pretend to wrap it all up neatly, act the heroes, and move on. They could then call any further murders that cropped up Copycat Crimes and so on. No sweat, everyone's happy.

They didn't do this.

Worse, they even called off their own scheduled investigation early but gave no reason.

Then their files were hidden and, eventually, taken away or destroyed.

And no one ever said much of anything about any of this.

Sure sounds like coverup. But of WHAT?

Breaking Records

Lots of Police records were destroyed during world war 2 bombings. Many of those records ripperologists attribute to having mysteriously vanished...when in actual fact there is no mystery, a bomb fell out of the sky and destroyed them. That thirst for there to be a mystery is almost unquenchable.

--But these records sat unexamined for 50+ years? Why? Was there no interest in the Ripper murders all that time? Of course there was. The records were kept sealed, and off-limits to all but a few. Rumbelow covered this aspect in his groundbreaking The Compleat Jack the Ripper.

Are there any specific records you might have been looking for, Frater? You know, I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff that shows up later....like littlechild's letter for whom we have to thank for the Tumbelty addition to the cast His letter didn't show up till 1989.

--I'd like to see internal memos from the investigators and their superiors, and THEIR superiors. I'd like to see any marginalia written by patrolmen or detectives assigned to or peripheral to the case. Diaries of such folks could well still surface, too, by the way. I'd also like to see original autopsy and other medical records written by those who were involved.

I think the nicaraguan fraud serves partyly to explain why they chose not to find a patsy. They couldn't. What, appease the 'revolution'? Like Anderson and Swanson weren't prepared to slip the nose around Kosminski's neck in later statements and in later years? Warren's reasoning behind wiping the graphiti from the wall on Gaulston Street was reason enough why they couldn't afford a patsy. I mean, imagine the implications.

--I don't see the implications, nor do I follow your thinking here. Please expatiate. What Revolution? What appeasement; a patsy would have appeased their higher-ups, who were pressuring them for a solution. Careers were at stake. Tossing a tosser onto the bonfire would have been a small, and common, thing to do in this situation. The police behavior throughout remains inexplicable in the absence of some collusion or conspiracy.

--My favorite solution to this is Helen's, which states that it was Masons individually covering up what they saw to be spilt secrets. It wasn't planned, just a sort of knee-jerk response.

Fear of Slaves

I'm aware of the upper crust's fear of the Whitechapel powderkeg and various rallies and social unrest. Put into that context Warren's trepidation is perhaps understandable. Still, not to make a precise note of it, not to take a photograph or two, not to at least try to preserve the clues it might represent, was reprehensible.

As for the whole powderkeg theory, well, what kept the public from lynching various innocents anyway? Were there any incidents like this? Was anyone chased down and beaten, or lynched, by angry mobs after a Ripper, any Ripper? I can't recall any reports of this.

While their fear may have been real, there is quite a distance of human behavior between a protest rally, even riots, and the Ripper murders. The latter is pathological.

Given Wat Tyler's lovely revolt, so maliciously betrayed by the typical cozzening and lies of the upper class, the Monarchy has much to fear from targeting foreigners, and had perhaps more back then, Queen Vicky being a German into the bargain.

I can see that the police may have had many pressures forcing them to behave oddly, in out-of-character ways, but then again I can't help chafing a bit at this aspect of the theory because it feels so much like slipping on the still-warm coat from a Socialist Rabble-Rouser.

Why is the Key

A couple of things occured to me upon this latest reading of his explanation: He might simply have sponged off the word Juwes and left the rest to be photographed.

Be it noted that, by his own admission, he first observed it with the whole notion of quelling a potential riot already in his head. Spt. Arnold seems to have gotten that across strongly.

It is a reasonable course for him to have taken, for public safety, except for the fact that this was the Ripper investigation, and he might simply have hand a pair of constables stand there with a sheet over it, or pegged a sheet up with a couple of nails, to drape it, while awaiting for the sun to rise fully and a photograph to be taken, THEN expunge it.

Further, it's a cryptic message, difficult to read properly and phrased in a stilted, weirdly formal way. If the idea was to inflame the public, why not simply write JACK'S A JEW, KILL THEM ALL? Or somesuch wildness?

So, while I can accept Warren's explanation, given the context and the times, I'm not convinced this is all there was to it.

The more I delve into all this, the more I think we must answer the many levels of the question WHY in order to unlock the mystery of WHO.

Loony

It's irrational, and almost loony, to speak of leaving the scrawl unattended, which is just what his letter does. He says it's impossible to cover it up without a chance of the cover being snatched down -- well not with a pair of brute coppers standing there it wouldn't.

And he can't make the silly case that they didn't have the manpower. His own letter states there were many standing around.

I think there was something of a public disturbance around Pizer's 'helping the police with their enquiries'. He was the one Sergeant Thick (who took after his name, by all accounts) stated he had known as Leather Apron for some time. I think there were some heated debates in the streets, shall we say, regarding Jews, Butchers and the (perceived) general incompetance of the police force.

As to why no patsy was ever found, perhaps The Powers That Be didn't want the Ripper to go to trial? Perhaps there were aspects of the murders they did not wish to be made totally public. Wild speculation in the press was all well and good - who pays attention to that? But honest to goodness, bona fide witness statements, sworn testimonies, barristers' speeches etc etc, would put the whole thing under a much sharper eye than it had been subjected to before. And it would make things far more 'accurate' and 'precise'. Perhaps, like Roswell, far better to allow public speculation and misinformation.

But What

But what would they have feared coming out at trial? What sort of revelations would have been so potentially embarrassing or incriminating? After all, these weren't brutal murders of VIPs, but of prositutes of the lowest sort for the most part, in a slum.

And EZ, I'm sure there are ripperologists, (not sure I like that word), who are in it not just to sell books and promote themselves, but to try hard actually to solve the attendant mysteries. If so, then I'm sure many of them would indeed have looked at everything possible, including context. The fact that we see so few balanced accounts and so many Mystery Solved proclamations maybe be more a function of how publishing works.

Why those women, why there in Whitechapel? After all, especially after the heat was on, Jack may have had much easier prey and better hunting elsewhere. Yet he remained in operation in Whitechapel. And kept after prostitutes. One thinks of the phrase, "I'm down on whores and shan't stop ripping them until..." and so forth.

Maybe he really was.

Oh, and self-burning fuse that may explain why he quit could be simply that the syphilis he contracted from a whore, which may have caused his hatred, eventualy took its toll and ended his reign of terror not with a splash of blood, but with a whimper of incapacity.

Just a thought.

Immortal Serial Killer Heaven

As I get older, I begin to find the continuing fascination with the Whitechapel murders more and more inexplicable. It's like some classic, insoluble chess problem, becoming increasingly more abstract with the passing years.

Was it the luck of the real serial murder to stand in the invisible presence of the fictional amateur consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes and the apparent incompetence of the real, London Police and Scotland Yard?

As time passes, Holmes and the Ripper become increasingly connected in the 'popular imagination.' There have been several, post Sir A. Conan Doyle, stories, books and films, in which the two become arch protagonists.

There was even a recent TV movie, in the series in which the young Conan Doyle with his mentor Joseph Bell (the alleged model for Holmes) discovers that one of Conan Doyle's student contemporaries is a sadistic killer and the implication is that this young American student becomes a serial killer in his home town of Boston and later returns to Britain to become, Jack the Ripper!

So, who was the killer? Does it really matter, now that the endless, fruitless, intellectual cat's cradle of speculation has become such an entertainment?

Or, is Jack the Ripper important because he seems to validate the fictional Victorian, Gas Lamps and 'pea souper' fogs, world of Sherlock Holmes?

Important

It's important if you believe in the rule of law and in not dismissing those women's deaths as mere fodder for the imagination.

Re: Important

FraterLibre said:
It's important if you believe in the rule of law and in not dismissing those women's deaths as mere fodder for the imagination.
And, who are you going to send after the famous serial killer, now?

Judge Death?

Back