• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kidney Stones

Generally speaking ... Kidney stones can make you wish for death, but they won't grant the wish in and of themselves.

If they're a secondary effect of a more serious condition, the primary condition may be fatal.

If the stones cause tears in the kidneys or urinary tract this can lead to dangerous - and potentially fatal - infections (sepsis, etc.).
We are a bit concerned about her. She's had a bad night she tells me, she's also got a UTI.

I pretended I was Johnny Knoxville to try to brave it out .. "Welcome to Jackass .. I'm Swifty and .. godammit .. this is 'The Kidney Stones' challenge.

Last edited:
Best of luck and healing to you both!

I pretended I was Johnny Knoxville to try to brave it out .. "Welcome to Jackass .. I'm Swifty and .. godammit .. this is 'The Kidney Stones' challenge.
Your humor is heroric.

Best of luck and healing to you both!

Your humor is heroric.
It's a you either laugh or cry deal .. like walking into a room to meet someone who's definitely going to kick your head in and you've got no choice, you've got to walk into that room .. the gas and air helps. I've definitely had more fun. Round 3 is on the way, probably at the end of next month.

My work 'little sister' ended up in A&E last night because of her kidney stones. Ironically, I first met her when we worked together somewhere else last year and her and her mate took me under their wing when I was at work and 'rocking the stones' .. now it's her turn unfortunately, she's written that she's never felt pain like it before. She's clearly never listened to a Des O'Connor LP.

Stealing old Eric Morecambe jokes aside though, I had to call in sick from working last night for the same reason so we're in synchronised misery .. on the plus side, the Mrs is officially both our boss and our mate.

I swore at the owner yesterday morning though .. I'd just walked through the door and he said "Nigel says .."

"FUCK Nigel!"

I apologised immediately and fortunately I wasn't fired.

seriously though, F--k Nigel.

Last edited:
My work 'little sister' ended up in A&E last night because of her kidney stones. Ironically, I first met her when we worked together somewhere else last year and her and her mate took me under their wing when I was at work and 'rocking the stones' .. now it's her turn unfortunately, she's written that she's never felt pain like it before. She's clearly never listened to a Des O'Connor LP.

Stealing old Eric Morecambe jokes aside though, I had to call in sick from working last night for the same reason so we're in synchronised misery .. on the plus side, the Mrs is officially both our boss and our mate.

I swore at the owner yesterday morning though .. I'd just walked through the door and he said "Nigel says .."

"FUCK Nigel!"

I apologised immediately and fortunately I wasn't fired.

seriously though, F--k Nigel.
You need to make plans for Nigel.

You need to make plans for Nigel.
The Mrs actually does do that song about him ... I currently thinking more 'Midnight Express' chase him under a table and bite his tongue out but I'm more mellow than her.

It's a you either laugh or cry deal .. like walking into a room to meet someone who's definitely going to kick your head in and you've got no choice, you've got to walk into that room .. the gas and air helps. I've definitely had more fun. Round 3 is on the way, probably at the end of next month.
Hope you don't have to have the stones "zapped" by the zappy thing. Lying there for 40 minutes whilst it feels like you are being stabbed once a second and being told to "lie still Pete", is just as bad as having the things in the first place. And if they miss and you have to have it done again , the "kill me now" feeling is very strong.

Hope you don't have to have the stones "zapped" by the zappy thing. Lying there for 40 minutes whilst it feels like you are being stabbed once a second and being told to "lie still Pete", is just as bad as having the things in the first place. And if they miss and you have to have it done again , the "kill me now" feeling is very strong.
I had that treatment the first time Pete .. I'd describe it as having the BFG flicking you repeatedly In the same area, it caused me to do the collapse when I got back home. The bloke doing it boasted about how much hair he'd lost since starting the job because of the radiation from the machine, I had to sign a disclaimer beforehand which is never a good sign.

I had that treatment the first time Pete .. I'd describe it as having the BFG flicking you repeatedly In the same area, it caused me to do the collapse when I got back home. The bloke doing it boasted about how much hair he'd lost since starting the job because of the radiation from the machine, I had to sign a disclaimer beforehand which is never a good sign.
Radiation? What kind?

Not wishing to intervene medically Swifty, but if they suggest having a stent fitted, I personally wouldn't. So eye wateringly painful and bloody for months on end, I nearly resorted to getting the Mole Grips out and stopping the suffering myself. There surely has to be a better way of dealing with these things.

Not wishing to intervene medically Swifty, but if they suggest having a stent fitted, I personally wouldn't. So eye wateringly painful and bloody for months on end, I nearly resorted to getting the Mole Grips out and stopping the suffering myself. There surely has to be a better way of dealing with these things.
I had a stent the last time but only for about a week .. it wasn't fun but I could afford private then.

I thought they used lazers to zap the buggers, are you still suffering Swifty? :(

I don't know .. the procedure's called lithotripsy from memory.

Correct ...

There are a variety of means used, of which the original modern version used focused shock waves (vibrations) on a patient positioned in a tub of water. The shock wave version didn't require inserting anything into the body.

Other methods (including lasers) can be used to break up the stones, but require endoscopy (inserting something into the body).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithotripsy

Correct ...

There are a variety of means used, of which the original modern version used focused shock waves (vibrations) on a patient positioned in a tub of water. The shock wave version didn't require inserting anything into the body.

Other methods (including lasers) can be used to break up the stones, but require endoscopy (inserting something into the body).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithotripsy
I was just told to lie on my stomach (not in water) and the shock waves were 'splatted' at me (if you want to recreate what it feels like, flick yourself repeatedly in the same spot for about five minutes) .. he told me to tell him if it was getting to be too pain full and then ignored me when I did .. "Hold on .. you're nearly there" because he was watching what he was doing on a screen. I had the endoscopy treatment instead the second time with a stent inserted for a few days so your piss has blood in until it's removed, the stent didn't cause much pain, it was just uncomfortable for me but I suppose everyone's different ..

I was just told to lie on my stomach (not in water) and the shock waves were 'splatted' at me (if you want to recreate what it feels like, flick yourself repeatedly in the same spot for about five minutes) .. he told me to tell him if it was getting to be too pain full and then ignored me when I did .. "Hold on .. you're nearly there" because he was watching what he was doing on a screen. I had the endoscopy treatment instead the second time with a stent inserted for a few days so your piss has blood in until it's removed, the stent didn't cause much pain, it was just uncomfortable for me but I suppose everyone's different ..
Blimey a few days - mine was in for 4 months. After 4 weeks I complained that the pain was horrendous. It was only then that I was told that I shouldn't be moving around or walking much. I'd been digging the garden working on the cars and decorating. My suggestion that patients should be warned was met with a shrug.

Blimey a few days - mine was in for 4 months. After 4 weeks I complained that the pain was horrendous. It was only then that I was told that I shouldn't be moving around or walking much. I'd been digging the garden working on the cars and decorating. My suggestion that patients should be warned was met with a shrug.
Bloody hell .. no wonder you were in so much pain.

I think I've got the stones again. All the symptoms are the same as last time: painful tender kidney area, weird dull pain just above my bits and sore bollocks. Great. I've been necking Ibuprofen and Co Codamol since last night.

Get it checked sooner rather than later, Swifts. You know how bad it can be from prior experience, so you should be motivated to act promptly.

I think I've got the stones again. All the symptoms are the same as last time: painful tender kidney area, weird dull pain just above my bits and sore bollocks. Great. I've been necking Ibuprofen and Co Codamol since last night.
We assume you're posting while waiting in a hospital or clinic queue. If not, why not? :mad:

Seriously, get onto the doctor. You know the signs, it can only be the stones. Nothing else causes those symptoms.

Get it checked sooner rather than later, Swifts. You know how bad it can be from prior experience, so you should be motivated to act promptly.
God advice mate, I'm already on it, dressed and about to walk to the surgery to make an appointment (they take forever to answer the phone at opening time although at least they've changed the music to soothing classical when you're put on hold instead of the funk tune we used to have to endure). It might not be stones, it might instead be complications because of nerve damage, I have an appointment about that on the 24th.

We assume you're posting while waiting in a hospital or clinic queue. If not, why not? :mad:

Seriously, get onto the doctor. You know the signs, it can only be the stones. Nothing else causes those symptoms.
My surgery opens in half an hour time and I live a five walk to it. Bossy pants :p X (just kidding, thanks for nagging).

I had terrible pains on a few occasions now, but when I looked up the symptoms, IBS and Kidney stones seemed similar and it was very difficult to determine what it was. I never did find out as it eventually went after 6-10 days. It came with an horrendous lethargic feeling and not being able to get warm.

I had terrible pains on a few occasions now, but when I looked up the symptoms, IBS and Kidney stones seemed similar and it was very difficult to determine what it was. I never did find out as it eventually went after 6-10 days. It came with an horrendous lethargic feeling and not being able to get warm.
It's not your job to determine what it was.
That's what we have doctors for! :wink2:

As we never tire of reminding @Swifty. :nods:

Women are used to sorting out normal twinges from more worrying ones.
While the old Christmas wine bottle and glass holder gives us regular grief we are alert to more novel pain.
I certainly wouldn't have put up with discomfort I couldn't identify for over a week.

Thus far, in the past seven years, I've had three bouts of kidney stones. Only the first didn't necessitate hospitalisation and only then as an A&E patient for the day.

The first time, I didn't know what was happening. I woke up early one morning, with a deep aching pain in my lower back that migrated to my left side. I couldn't stand. I tried to get down stairs for some drugs and ended up crawling down. I managed to get to the downstairs loo where I lay on the floor, shaking, sweating and puking.

I think I must have passed whatever it was but the pain was the worst thing I had experience to that point in my life.

Two years later I had a proper dose!

I woke up and felt the same thing, and made it to the en suite. It hit me hard and I was so weakened, I could not call out or bang the door to alert my wife who was in bed three feet the other side of the door. Eventually I manged to move enough to alert her and I crawled downstairs and onto the rear seat of the car and she brought me to A&E.

The third time, in the middle of COVID lock down, was the most amusing by far. I was working in my home office in the attic. I was quite busy and had just vacuumed some lunch and thought I had a bit of indigestion. Then that particular pressure type pain began to build and I alerted my wife and jumped into the car for what was now a familiar run!

In a 10 minute drive, by half way, I was already puking in a bag.

She couldn't even get out of the car in the emergency bay, and I had to literally roll in to A&E as there wasn't even a porter free. I collapsed on the floor in the entrance, only to be told by the security guard that I was blocking the hand sanitiser.

"Sorry about that," I said, "shall I die over there?"

"Just move."

"No problem."

I was put on a drip, several doses of morphine and, when the puking subsided, a fentanyl inhaler.

For about three hours I writhed, pretty much hallucinating and wondering why I was there.

Fun times.

Several years of tests, diet changes, more tests and examinations with cameras in uncomfortable spaces has revealed the sum total of SFA.

My next appointment with the urologist is next weak. I'm reasonably fit, not overweight and have a fairly healthy diet.

It is a head scratcher and kidney basher.

All I can say is, if you are having issues, get it checked out because the alternative is not fun.

Back