• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kidney Stones

It's not your job to determine what it was.
That's what we have doctors for! :wink2:

As we never tire of reminding @Swifty. :nods:

Women are used to sorting out normal twinges from more worrying ones.
While the old Christmas wine bottle and glass holder gives us regular grief we are alert to more novel pain.
I certainly wouldn't have put up with discomfort I couldn't identify for over a week.
Doc doesn't think it's kidney stones again, I've just got to do a piss test and use co drydamol instead .. possible UTI .. phew .. I don't self diagnose Skargy, I see a doctor (although I was correct the first two times .. so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it ..)

Thus far, in the past seven years, I've had three bouts of kidney stones. Only the first didn't necessitate hospitalisation and only then as an A&E patient for the day.

The first time, I didn't know what was happening. I woke up early one morning, with a deep aching pain in my lower back that migrated to my left side. I couldn't stand. I tried to get down stairs for some drugs and ended up crawling down. I managed to get to the downstairs loo where I lay on the floor, shaking, sweating and puking.

I think I must have passed whatever it was but the pain was the worst thing I had experience to that point in my life.

Two years later I had a proper dose!

I woke up and felt the same thing, and made it to the en suite. It hit me hard and I was so weakened, I could not call out or bang the door to alert my wife who was in bed three feet the other side of the door. Eventually I manged to move enough to alert her and I crawled downstairs and onto the rear seat of the car and she brought me to A&E.

The third time, in the middle of COVID lock down, was the most amusing by far. I was working in my home office in the attic. I was quite busy and had just vacuumed some lunch and thought I had a bit of indigestion. Then that particular pressure type pain began to build and I alerted my wife and jumped into the car for what was now a familiar run!

In a 10 minute drive, by half way, I was already puking in a bag.

She couldn't even get out of the car in the emergency bay, and I had to literally roll in to A&E as there wasn't even a porter free. I collapsed on the floor in the entrance, only to be told by the security guard that I was blocking the hand sanitiser.

"Sorry about that," I said, "shall I die over there?"

"Just move."

"No problem."

I was put on a drip, several doses of morphine and, when the puking subsided, a fentanyl inhaler.

For about three hours I writhed, pretty much hallucinating and wondering why I was there.

Fun times.

Several years of tests, diet changes, more tests and examinations with cameras in uncomfortable spaces has revealed the sum total of SFA.

My next appointment with the urologist is next weak. I'm reasonably fit, not overweight and have a fairly healthy diet.

It is a head scratcher and kidney basher.

All I can say is, if you are having issues, get it checked out because the alternative is not fun.
Bloody hell .. you got diamorphine?, I got gas and air. I'm moving to live near your hospital!.

That's great news. :cool:
If he's correct it is .. he walked me to his office grumbling because no one had booked me in even though I'd announced my arrival when I'd got there slightly early which had made him 20 minutes behind schedule.

It's not your job to determine what it was.
That's what we have doctors for! :wink2:

As we never tire of reminding @Swifty. :nods:

Women are used to sorting out normal twinges from more worrying ones.
While the old Christmas wine bottle and glass holder gives us regular grief we are alert to more novel pain.
I certainly wouldn't have put up with discomfort I couldn't identify for over a week.
Thus far, in the past seven years, I've had three bouts of kidney stones. Only the first didn't necessitate hospitalisation and only then as an A&E patient for the day.

The first time, I didn't know what was happening. I woke up early one morning, with a deep aching pain in my lower back that migrated to my left side. I couldn't stand. I tried to get down stairs for some drugs and ended up crawling down. I managed to get to the downstairs loo where I lay on the floor, shaking, sweating and puking.

I think I must have passed whatever it was but the pain was the worst thing I had experience to that point in my life.

Two years later I had a proper dose!

I woke up and felt the same thing, and made it to the en suite. It hit me hard and I was so weakened, I could not call out or bang the door to alert my wife who was in bed three feet the other side of the door. Eventually I manged to move enough to alert her and I crawled downstairs and onto the rear seat of the car and she brought me to A&E.

The third time, in the middle of COVID lock down, was the most amusing by far. I was working in my home office in the attic. I was quite busy and had just vacuumed some lunch and thought I had a bit of indigestion. Then that particular pressure type pain began to build and I alerted my wife and jumped into the car for what was now a familiar run!

In a 10 minute drive, by half way, I was already puking in a bag.

She couldn't even get out of the car in the emergency bay, and I had to literally roll in to A&E as there wasn't even a porter free. I collapsed on the floor in the entrance, only to be told by the security guard that I was blocking the hand sanitiser.

"Sorry about that," I said, "shall I die over there?"

"Just move."

"No problem."

I was put on a drip, several doses of morphine and, when the puking subsided, a fentanyl inhaler.

For about three hours I writhed, pretty much hallucinating and wondering why I was there.

Fun times.

Several years of tests, diet changes, more tests and examinations with cameras in uncomfortable spaces has revealed the sum total of SFA.

My next appointment with the urologist is next weak. I'm reasonably fit, not overweight and have a fairly healthy diet.

It is a head scratcher and kidney basher.

All I can say is, if you are having issues, get it checked out because the alternative is not fun.
The first time mine lasted 10 days, then about two weeks later a bit less. It was a good year or so before I had it again.
They wanted to put a camera down the old chap. I'd much rather go for the morphine and hallucinations.

I dunno how relevant this is to any non space-travelling posters, or ones that aren't mice, but the de-orbiting sounds serious.

Space mice may offer clues to why astronauts get kidney stones

When astronauts travel into space they can expect some extraordinary new experiences. But they may also face a more mundane and potentially mission-ending one: kidney stones.

According to Nasa, kidney stones have been reported more than 30 times by astronauts upon returning to earth. Now researchers are beginning to unpick why space travel is linked to the painful condition.

“The pain you get when you’re passing a kidney stone is the worst pain you can experience,” said Dr Stephen Walsh, clinical senior lecturer in experimental medicine and honorary consultant in nephrology at University College London, who is involved in the research.

“There is one cosmonaut who got renal colic [where a stone gets blocked in the urinary tract] in orbit and they almost had to de-orbit him because of his kidney stone.”

By coincidence I found several pics from the Museum of Morphology in Hampstead I visited a few years ago. One was of various stones extracted from the body and some were monsters. The label reads "CALCULUS (Oxylate of Lime) from right kidney. Weight 31 grains F. aged 19. Removed Feb 11th 1880". I looked up 31 grains and it is only 2 grams in weight, but looks large enough for the passage to have been felt.

stones_2273.jpg

I have had kidneys stones on a fairly regular basis most of my adult life. First time I was living overseas in South Korea. Coworkers took me to the hospital and x-ray confired the diagnosis. I was vomiting from the pain despite IV morphine for the pain. The morphine actually did nothing for the pain. Only thing that works for me for the pain is naproxen sodium (in the US, this is sold as Aleve).

Subsequent stone attacks weren't vomit inducing. Nowadays I dont even bother to call my doctor or urologist, it's a very specific pain that doesnt feel like anything else. I just take Aleve, drink as much water as I can, and wait. Still hurts a bunch.

Mine are small enough doctors said I'd need to just pass them the "old fashioned" way, aka pee them out.

I have had kidneys stones on a fairly regular basis most of my adult life. First time I was living overseas in South Korea. Coworkers took me to the hospital and x-ray confired the diagnosis. I was vomiting from the pain despite IV morphine for the pain. The morphine actually did nothing for the pain. Only thing that works for me for the pain is naproxen sodium (in the US, this is sold as Aleve).

Subsequent stone attacks weren't vomit inducing. Nowadays I dont even bother to call my doctor or urologist, it's a very specific pain that doesnt feel like anything else. I just take Aleve, drink as much water as I can, and wait. Still hurts a bunch.

Mine are small enough doctors said I'd need to just pass them the "old fashioned" way, aka pee them out.
I was a shivering wreck so all I could do was to say to myself "Welcome to Jackass .. I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is the kidney stone challenge" .. I wasn't even able to stand up until the paramedics turned up.

I was a shivering wreck so all I could do was to say to myself "Welcome to Jackass .. I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is the kidney stone challenge" .. I wasn't even able to stand up until the paramedics turned up.
After my last Kidney Stone the urologist told me to drink a couple of litres of water each day and increase my intake of citrus fruit juice. I take my morning medication with a half pint of orange juice, or similar, with 25ml of Willys Organic live Cider Vinegar; Doc says the acid from both with the increased water intake should be sufficient to prevent any further stones forming.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...VGO7tCh2d6Qe3EAQYASABEgKV_PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.
On a related note, when I had the last stone I was fortunate enough to have it treated privately as the NHS couldn’t give me a date for removal. They contacted me last week to firm up a date for me to come in and have it removed…8 months after it all started. Thank Christ I haven’t had that Stent in for 8 months, that was frickin uncomfortable to put it mildly.

After my last Kidney Stone the urologist told me to drink a couple of litres of water each day and increase my intake of citrus fruit juice. I take my morning medication with a half pint of orange juice, or similar, with 25ml of Willys Organic live Cider Vinegar; Doc says the acid from both with the increased water intake should be sufficient to prevent any further stones forming.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/willys-organic-live-apple-cider-vinegar-honey-turmeric-500ml?istCompanyId=1e096408-041f-4238-994e-a7cf46bf9413&istFeedId=689af7a8-5842-4d88-be59-1ee5688a81b5&istItemId=pxpixxwxp&istBid=t&&cmpid=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=15424330555&utm_content=shopping&utm_term=%7Bsku%7D&utm_custom1=129852755749&utm_custom2=759-449-0952&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2vSti7yk9wIVGO7tCh2d6Qe3EAQYASABEgKV_PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.
On a related note, when I had the last stone I was fortunate enough to have it treated privately as the NHS couldn’t give me a date for removal. They contacted me last week to firm up a date for me to come in and have it removed…8 months after it all started. Thank Christ I haven’t had that Stent in for 8 months, that was frickin uncomfortable to put it mildly.
I shudder when I hear the word stent. The treatment was far worse then the condition, nearly made me pass out when I went for a pee and bleed? - never seen so much. NHS forgot about me and it was in for months and months. As I passed out under anaesthetic I heard the surgeon say that the stent had been in far too long. Female relative has just had one fitted for stone treatment, unusual condition for women I understand.

Horror master Cronenberg makes art from 'beautiful' kidney stones

Canadian film-maker David Cronenberg has been shocking audiences for decades with his graphic "body horror" movies but he has now gone further by creating art from his own insides.

The director is auctioning an image of his recently removed kidney stones just in time for the release of his latest movie "Crimes of the Future", in competition for the Palme d'Or at Cannes next month.

"My doctor said: 'You know, I would like to have your kidney stones so that we can do a chemical analysis and see if there's something in your diet that has caused your body to create this,'" the director told an online forum of his fans.

He said he refused because the analysis would destroy the objects.

"I think they're too beautiful to be destroyed," he said, adding that he felt a "closeness" to them.

"After all, this is pretty intimate, it comes from the inside of my body."

The image, called "Inner Beauty", is being sold as a digital token (NFT) with a starting bid of the equivalent of roughly $30,000 needed to kickstart a 24-hour auction.

Nobody has yet agreed to pay that price.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...enberg-makes-art-from-beautiful-kidney-stones

maximus otter

I've been reading this and cringeing. I've been very very lucky so far with my health and have avoided kidney stones - but I am aware that I don't drink nearly enough water, and several of these posts have made me decide to dedicate the rest of my life to hydration!

Only thing that works for me for the pain is naproxen sodium (in the US, this is sold as Aleve).
Naproxen is a prescription-only NSAID in the UK - I have a stash accumulated whilst prevously trying to work with migraine-strength headaches without being knocked-out. Took some naproxen this morning, on your reminder, for viral-induced rib cage, shoulder, arm and neck pains and nausea. Had the pain been in the lower back then kidney stones would have been my first guess - as you say, the pain is very specific. Pleased to say the pain is now manageable.

I've just replied to a mate inviting me out for a pint ..

What you saying

Enter

You sent​

Just passed a kidney stone so I'm pissing blood at the moment bruv .. I think there's probably more to come by the feel of it but weirdly it doesn't hurt at all this time. I'm going to show you the bastard whether you want to see it or not! (the stone, not my dick)

Enter

You sent

the fucker's about the size of a pea! it's got sparkly bits in it!

Enter

You sent

didn't even now I had them this time round mate!

So I had to dart into a hotel toilet, I heard a *p-ting* sound which made me remember someone earlier in this thread who'd had the same thing happen, looked down and there it was. Disgusting as it is, I fished it out of the pan, wrapped it in some blue roll then washed my hands and got a taxi home.

I've just replied to a mate inviting me out for a pint ..

What you saying

Enter

You sent​

Just passed a kidney stone so I'm pissing blood at the moment bruv .. I think there's probably more to come by the feel of it but weirdly it doesn't hurt at all this time. I'm going to show you the bastard whether you want to see it or not! (the stone, not my dick)

Enter

You sent

the fucker's about the size of a pea! it's got sparkly bits in it!

Enter

You sent

didn't even now I had them this time round mate!

So I had to dart into a hotel toilet, I heard a *p-ting* sound which made me remember someone earlier in this thread who'd had the same thing happen, looked down and there it was. Disgusting as it is, I fished it out of the pan, wrapped it in some blue roll then washed my hands and got a taxi home.
Sparkly bits! Let's hope it's a diamond!

Except that once it's gone, it's gone.....
I put this one in one of those little plastic bags the banks give you for change then took it to show off to some friends down the social club: ("Oi, look at this!, this came of Swifty's prick today!") was how ****** announced it then we played some pool and by the time I got back home, I realised I'd lost it. Gutted. There might still be more in there, I've got some more doctor's appointments coming up so I can ask to stop taking the Trimethoprim if they agree .. my Dad was laughing over the phone .. they're not fun ..

A kidney stone for a man is the great equalizer.

It puts a man on the same level as a woman having a baby.
Given the back pain and nausea that isn't eased in any position you adopt, my instinct is that kidney stones (your first ones) are not on the same level as child birth at all. However in fairness I would need to hear the views of a mother who has also had kidney stones.

My gastroenterologist has just prescribed me another round of steroids, but this time accompanied with a further prescription of calcium tablets.
Given the number of kidney stones I have had and the previous advice from my urologist to avoid calcium I have queried it.
The gastro nurse has confirmed that her boss insists I take the calcium whilst on the steroids.
I asked her, as politely as possible, if her boss had ever tried giving birth through his bell end?

The taxi driver joked "Are you going to get a chain for it? .. turn it into a pendant!". I sent the last one to my Dad.
Oooh I have a great idea. Will take it to a website that allows photos by PM.

My gastroenterologist has just prescribed me another round of steroids, but this time accompanied with a further prescription of calcium tablets.
Given the number of kidney stones I have had and the previous advice from my urologist to avoid calcium I have queried it.
The gastro nurse has confirmed that her boss insists I take the calcium whilst on the steroids.
I asked her, as politely as possible, if her boss had ever tried giving birth through his bell end?
I've nearly finished my 7 days antibiotics course for the UTI that made me throw up in an alleyway on my way home from work a week ago. So the nausea's gone but I'm hitting the brandy when I get home and I'm prescribed codrydamol to get to work. You get used to it.

I've got a 'why did you take a day off sick from work?' form to fill in before next Friday. It wasn't for fun dickheads! .. but to be fair, they've been cool about it all. So far.

I'm waiting for my letter to get me to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital for a scan to officially tell me what I already know. I've got more kidney stones.

The chef ordered me to stop working and have the sandwich he'd made me "you're sweating and shaking so don't be a hero!" .. he meant well but I just wanted to go home so I lied to him and told him it helped me to keep moving. Nothing helps until you can get home and take another pain killer and puke without worrying a customer will hear you and then eat a slice of bread.

I've found one upside to all of this though. It's a bit personal but here you go ...... when you're privates aren't hurting? (and they decide when they will or won't) .. they feel super tender great!. That's the only upside though. A pointless erection.

Last edited:
Given the back pain and nausea that isn't eased in any position you adopt, my instinct is that kidney stones (your first ones) are not on the same level as child birth at all. However in fairness I would need to hear the views of a mother who has also had kidney stones.
The difference is that a kidney stone patient hasn't taken on the pain voluntarily, whereas an expectant mother usually has.
We do keep going back for more. :wink2:

Back