• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

AD71603F-EEF7-4704-938C-727610222AC2.jpeg

He looks hail and hearty to me. Grandkids ahoy. I must admit, this song is very much more for listening than viewing, like so much of their works.

I live with people knocking on the doors of 80 and David seems to be right where his generation are, but in better health. Polly has done him the world of good.

Are they singles? I thought he used DiMarzios on everything these days.

Doesn’t a Tele have a single bar pup?

No. Telecasters have two pickups.

The similar model with only a single pickup is the Esquire.

What do we think, broze? Will David, Nicholas and Roger ever create a final patch of brilliance before another of them goze the way of the dodoze? I remain in hope. It did happen in 2005 despite all negatives. It can happen again.

Can't see it ever happening now.
There is so much bad blood shed by Waters quitting Floyd and then shamefully suing the others, who were enthusiastic about keeping the band going. According to Nick Mason, Waters never really respected Dave Gilmour's contribution and just treated him like a session musician.
Gilmour and Mason's recent comment that they were "disappointed" at Waters' refusal to support the pro-Ukraine song seems to be the final nail in the reunion coffin. Remember that Waters publicly supported Putin's annexation of Crimea.

Last edited:
Which is the most striking album cover for you.

I think there’s only one that trumps all the others. It was Storm’s concept, natch.

Watch the DSOTM Classic Albums doco for deets. They all of them to a man looked at his various options and went THAT as one.
Umma Gumma smashed me. and that cover, with a mouthfull of honeyed mushrooms was the trippiest thing - I desired to skin up, and I hadn't had a good look before now at it, so, I needed ask a mate if they could see what I was seeing. Jim confirmed that it was and slipped me some opiated hash he'd received from a gentleman in Bombay. I said that there was a golden Buddha stamped on the Jonny Cash

Typically, Greg indicated that the Buddha was an illusion, and that in reality He was a Prince who had lived a life of opulence...and that his was a reaction reserved for the reactionary.

We all agreed that reality is a dish best served hot and steaming....Now where was I....Oh, that's right, yes.

Umma Gumma...Crackin'!

Teles rock hard. Love to have one. Making do with my Squier strat.
I never was a Fender fan but I got a (Mexican) telecaster a few years ago and now it's absolutely my favourite guitar. The previous owner had done some modifications so one of the pickups is a double-coil one. Sounds great and really nice to play.

My Squier has the humbucking pup at the bridge. Sustaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain. Can make my 15” sub whistle like stuck pig now. So fun.

Nothing on Earth sounds like a well-tuned telecaster.

I've loved many axes, but a friend's uncle let me pick up his tele and now I understand the sound. I'm still going to try to match it with my Bolero, but I know that without some real fuckin' around, I'll never come close.

My Squier Strat is a 1995 gold logo model, making it a solid wood body, rather than the earlier laminates and, probably, the best of the Korean-built Squiers.

strat3.png
strat4.png

I've always been quite impressed with the basic sound - especially the sheer gutsy attack from the bridge pickup.
These days, I usually play it through some Windows amp software - I use Amplion, but there are tons of alternatives out there either free or at very modest cost. I can also tinker with the sound in Audacity to add masses of effects like perpetual sustain, reverb, fuzz, wah, phaser etc.
It's not too difficult to generate a tone not dissimilar to Dave Gilmour's. To play with his virtuosity though would probably take me more than one lifetime!

There is some fantastic concert audio, recorded from a 1970 concert in Sheffield.

This is so awesome - terrific quality....

Pink Floyd - 22nd December 1970 (Live at Sheffield) - Definitive Version

That’s a good one.
Back in the Demonoid torrent days I got hold of an entire folder of Floyd ROIOs and most of them were tinny crowd recordings but a few really stand up. Some good shit around if you hunt for it.

I was reading a bit about Roger Waters' father over at ww2talk.com.

Quite a bit of detail has been turned up about his death with 8th Royal Fusiliers at Anzio:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?thread...er-waters-8th-battalion-royal-fusiliers.93311

If you're familiar with how Roger looked in his 20s and 30s at least, you'll be immediately struck by how strongly he resembles his mother:

8_Rf_1_walters_photo.jpg

292706 Lieutenant Eric Fletcher Waters, may he rest in peace.

David Gilmour's 2022 version of A Great Day For Freedom, specially re-recorded as the "obvious and relevant choice" to be the B-side of Hey Hey, Rise Up.

Let's hope the lyrics herald a glimmer of hope before too long in Ukraine.

I've been listening to Planet Rock most of the afternoon.
Their extended show today was all about the best guitar solos of all time, as voted for by listeners.
Some absolute classics in there - Led Zep, Hendrix, Deep Purple etc. but the runaway winner was Dave Gilmour's Comfortably Numb.
Can't really disagree with that.

Back