• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

Nice. Sounds like Led Zep. vs. RATM with Zappa doing the first guitar solo and whatsisname doing the other.

This video may be of interest to anyone curious about Floyd recording techniques - or the evolution of multi-track studio practices in general from four-track onwards - and kicks off with a look at 'Arnold Layne'. For example, it reveals (just to whet your appetites) that the kind of double-tracking / slapback echo on Syd's guitar is the result of miking up the amplifier but also DI'ing it straight into the desk via crocodile clips attached to the amp's innards.

00:00 - Introduction
01:21 - Arnold Layne
15:37 - Production Discussion
24:02 - Echoes
31:15 - Engineer Discussion
33:35 - Money
39:58 - DSOTM Discussion
40:51 - Breathe
46:06 - The Great Gig in the Sky
57:35 - Nick Mason's Work outside of Pink Floyd
1:02:36 - Wish You Were Here
1:11:14 - David Gilmour's Work outside of Pink Floyd
1:15:54 - Shine on You Crazy Diamond

That was great. I'm always fascinated in the details of recording sessions, how sounds were arrived at, what made it onto the final mix & what didn't, & the happy accidents that happen along the way. Interesting that they didn't seem to realise what they'd got initially with Clare Torry on The Great Gig.

Yep. I'd heard her mention that before (the total lack of feedback from the band). Good old British reserve, what?

Interesting that they didn't seem to realise what they'd got initially with Clare Torry on The Great Gig.
Oh? They'd previously stated that it was Clare who immediately apologised and dissed her own performance only to be told by the band that they loved it. I haven't watched the video yet.

Oh? They'd previously stated that it was Clare who immediately apologised and dissed her own performance only to be told by the band that they loved it. I haven't watched the video yet.

They had no words or any idea what they wanted so she started improvising the oohs & wailing you hear on the record. They seemed underwhelmed & said do another. Same reaction with that - do another. By the 3rd she thought she'd lost the spontaneity & was starting to repeat herself so she left it at that, thinking it'd not be used. The first time she knew was when she bought a copy of the album. The ungrateful tight bastards didn't even give her one. missus.

Fnarr.

They did however give her a chit for thirty quid to take to the accounts office or whatever, and she eventually received a few slices of pie (in the sky) ;)

They had no words or any idea what they wanted so she started improvising the oohs & wailing you hear on the record. They seemed underwhelmed & said do another. Same reaction with that - do another. By the 3rd she thought she'd lost the spontaneity & was starting to repeat herself so she left it at that, thinking it'd not be used. The first time she knew was when she bought a copy of the album. The ungrateful tight bastards didn't even give her one. missus.
Interesting. They've completely contradicted what they said in the Syd Barrett doco. Poor Clare. Often copied, never replicated. Get a load of this.

These visuals look quite trippy but seem to have no synch with the rhythms at all. Anyway, any old op to throw on Echoes. Again.

Okay, so while I love the Floyd, I do have two controversial opinions...

The first is that, despite all the myriad versions of Comfortably Numb that the band themselves did, this is, in fact, the best:

And my second, is that, from the same kinda period, this is just as good as any prime Floyd. I mean, it even has slap bass on it...:

Here it is. These are videos paired with some early Floyd, including demos and outtakes. I think they are outstanding.

1. Echoes demo - video: "Feral" by Daniel Sousa 2012

2. The Narrow Way - video: "The Diary of Tortov Roddle" by Kunio Kato 2011

3. The Gunner's Dream - video: "Waltz With Bashir" 2008 by Ari Folman

Last edited:
Watch the fascisti try to strangle the muse. Himself just ups the volume. Grandi grandisimo. I love it.

And if you thought that unlikely, you won't believe this shit. Hassids in the heart of the Tel laying down the Gilmour. Sweet.

Guitar tone isn't bad for a busker!

And if you thought that unlikely, you won't believe this shit. Hassids in the heart of the Tel laying down the Gilmour. Sweet.
Maybe there's some hope after all. Wonderful stuff.

Shades of a low-fi version of One of the Days. I really like this song, and indeed the album--it has that bleak 70s vibe but contemporary lyrics.

that just reminds me why i cant listen to his fake floyd stuff any more, mind you even the real thing is hard work ... except maybe meddle ... obscured by clouds ...

Dunno if this has been posted already but it's great from the cool Rhodes opening to the euphoric end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

that just reminds me why i cant listen to his fake floyd stuff any more, mind you even the real thing is hard work ... except maybe meddle ... obscured by clouds ...
{checks vault to make sure...}...

Yea, still there!

1550091841386840.jpg

Back