Lightning Strikes

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We are only a few miles away and the storm started very fast. we were out in the garden
then suddenly without warning bang flash.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We are only a few miles away and the storm started very fast. we were out in the garden
then suddenly without warning bang flash.
That quick, eh? Like they couldn't see it coming.

Some years ago there was a thunderstorm in my home area, nothing special, and then there was a huge BANG.
A builder had been struck and killed while working on scaffolding several miles away. That seemed totally foreseeable.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Many years ago I was minding my own business when through the gates came a tractor towing
a hydraulic mower to travel on the roads with these you are supposed to raise the cutters put
safety pins in then release the pressure on the hydraulics, this hadn't been done so not only
had he come through the gates like a loony but every seal had blown, What the f are you doing
says I, but when I got a look at him he was obviously terrified. He had been mowing when out
of no were a shimmering blue ball had come out of the air landed and started bouncing after
the tractor, he could not shake it off panic set in he pulled up the mowers shuck it in high gear
and drove flat out to base, I told him it was ball lightening and he was lucky to see it and would
likely never see it again but nothing would get him to go back out that day. I was more pissed
at not being able to see it myself than having to replace every seal.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Back in the 70s when I was at school, a huge dark cloud moved over the school playground. We felt our hair standing on end and one of the teachers chased us indoors. We went up to our classroom and watched the cloud head towards the town centre ( a bit like the big spaceship in Independence Day :) ) Suddenly there was a bright flash and we saw a lightning bolt streak down to the ground. Later we found out that it had hit a church spire.
Many years later I was telling a colleague at work and he said "My dad was standing at a bus stop outside that church!"
He had been standing at the bus stop with the church behind him when there was a massive boom, everything lit up with a bright light and he could see his shadow cast across the street. Then bits of debris falling around him.
When he realised it wasn't a nuclear bomb going off, he dusted himself down and headed straight for the nearest pub. He arrived home very late and very drunk that night.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
When Techy played golf, a klaxon would sound at the first whiff of ozone and everyone would get off the course PDQ. Courses were closed if thee was any risk of lightning. It's not safe to be out in the open with thunder around.

Certainly not safe to be out while holding something with a metre-long steel shaft.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread, some years ago, I mentioned that Techy (then known as The Boyfriend) was out playing gold in thunder.

As I recall he collected a rocket on his return. :chuckle:

He had no excuse as he knew golfers who'd been around lightning strikes.

One had been standing under a tree thinking 'Hmmm, it's a bit thundery, did I hear a klaxon? Maybe just one more 'ole...' when his golf bag exploded. :oops:

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Blackpool tower gets hit quite often years ago it was hit and the bolt
traveled down the tower ripped up the pavement and blew out a gas main,
frightening stuff.

blackpool.tower,lightning-1949.jpg

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I’ve only really had 2 close (ish) encounters with lightning. When I was a young whippersnapper, I was sitting on the window ledge of my open bedroom window watching an absolutely torrential rainstorm hammering down. A lightning bolt seemed to almost travel along the street between the 2 rows of houses. I don’t know why it didn’t strike any of the houses but it sounded like the fabric of the universe was being ripped apart! It genuinely appeared to go along the street and I couldn’t have been much more than 20 feet or so from it.

The second occasion was a bit more random....I was in a great big metal warehouse type pet store in Peterborough buying those mahoosive sacks of dry dog food for my pooches. There was another thunderstorm going on outside.
As I pushed my flatbed trolley down one of the aisles I became aware that I was walking into a weird, intense, physical electrical build up and I could feel the hairs on my head (now long gone unfortunately) standing up. I did a quick U turn and decided to try a different aisle instead. I didn’t have the presence of mind to hang around and see if anyone else got zapped and looking back on it I find my reaction to be rather unworthy of a fan of Fortean happenings seeing as all I did was merrily continue shopping!

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
The second occasion was a bit more random....I was in a great big metal warehouse type pet store in Peterborough buying those mahoosive sacks of dry dog food for my pooches. There was another thunderstorm going on outside.
As I pushed my flatbed trolley down one of the aisles I became aware that I was walking into a weird, intense, physical electrical build up and I could feel the hairs on my head (now long gone unfortunately) standing up. I did a quick U turn and decided to try a different aisle instead. I didn’t have the presence of mind to hang around and see if anyone else got zapped and looking back on it I find my reaction to be rather unworthy of a fan of Fortean happenings seeing as all I did was merrily continue shopping!
Is a Peterborean, I suspect it was wise not to compound the mistake of entering Peterborough with taking risks with lightning.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There are photos online of people with their hair standing on end during storms. :oops:

This would NEVER happen to me. I'd be safely indoors.

Sgt Girth

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I do like a really good lightning storm though...... I track them from lightningmaps.org when I know there’s going to be some activity.......it’s disappointing when a storm cell misses you by a few miles or so...very frustrating!

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
My dear old grandma was sitting a storm out in her house she had all the windows open etc etc
When there was a huge bang and a brilliant bright blue ball of light came in through the window bounced off the wall and the ceiling and shot up the chimney destroying the chimney stack and the pots.
Grandma bit the filter off her ciggy and dived over the back of the sofa screaming the devil was after her.
My uncle Chris who was a witness to all this didn’t know wether to laugh scream or run for it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We're currently having hail/heavy rain showers. A few minutes ago there was long peal of thunder.

No WAY is Techy out on his bike tonight! :chuckle:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
18 elephants killed this time.

Lightning is believed to have killed a herd of 18 wild Asiatic elephants in remote north-eastern India, a forest official said.

The elephants, including five calves, were found dead during rains in the protected Kondali forest reserve, wildlife official Jayanta Goswami said.

The forest guard reached the remote area on Thursday and found 14 elephants dead on top of a hill and four at the bottom.
Preliminary reports by veterinarians said the elephants were struck by lightning, but tests are being carried out to ascertain the exact cause of death.

The reserve is in Assam state’s Nagaon district, 95 miles east of Gauhati, the state capital. Assam is home to an estimated 6,000 or more wild Asiatic elephants who constantly come out of the forests in search of food.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40289117.html

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The second occasion was a bit more random....I was in a great big metal warehouse type pet store in Peterborough buying those mahoosive sacks of dry dog food for my pooches.
Was that in Dogsthorpe?

Aether Blue

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Take it from a meteorologist: If you see lightning, or hear thunder, please head indoors, or at least get into a vehicle and close the doors. Lightning can kill you dead, or worse, leave you horribly maimed for life. And severe weather can ruin your day in all sorts of other ways.

Now, it is true that noplace is *completely* safe during a thunderstorm, but you can improve your chances immensely by staying indoors and avoiding contact with large conductors like plumbing fixtures.

That said, I do love a good thunderstorm; it's what got me into the business.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Take it from a meteorologist: If you see lightning, or hear thunder, please head indoors, or at least get into a vehicle and close the doors. Lightning can kill you dead, or worse, leave you horribly maimed for life. And severe weather can ruin your day in all sorts of other ways.

Now, it is true that noplace is *completely* safe during a thunderstorm, but you can improve your chances immensely by staying indoors and avoiding contact with large conductors like plumbing fixtures.

That said, I do love a good thunderstorm; it's what got me into the business.
Yup, thunder and lightning are great but as you say, and you know what you're on about! lightning is dangerous.

There was a big charity bike race at the weekend where the forecast was stormy. As we know people who took part we discussed what we'd do if we'd entered it.

My take was that they could keep my fee as I was staying home! Damage limitation. :wink2:

Nothing bad happened on Race Day so maybe I'd have been over-cautious but I'm still right.

Obligatory scare story (which you no doubt already know all about)
Safe Road CC cycling website link -

Cyclist survived lightning strike - because he was wearing headphones

Zoran Jurkovic, now aged 41, had been riding his bike to his work on a farm near Petrovci in 2007 when a storm closed in, said 24 Sata in a report last week.

Instead of passing through his body, which doctors say would have stopped his heart and damaged internal organs, the charge went down the headphone cable, attached to a radio on his belt.

He was dressed in work clothes, including rubber boots, and instead of earthing via his feet, the charge earthed through his penis.

Yup, you read that correctly. The charge earthed through his penis. Through his penis.

Will be sending Techy this article. :rollingw:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
No word about the state of his unfortunate penis?
Burned to a crisp?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sun headline: Cock Shock Shocker

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This March 2010 blog post describes Jurkovic's status following his release from the hospital and the passage of time. This is the earliest post-incident follow-up I've been able to find.

Thunder keeps man indoors after lightning zaps genitals​

A man in Croatia has admitted that he has not gone outside after hearing thunder since lightning struck his penis in 2007.

Zoran Jurkovic, 35, from the eastern town of Vukovar, has recovered and says his penis functions well despite that lightning passed through it while he was riding a bicycle close to the village of Perkovci during a thunderstorm. ...

"My friends used to tease me, and I used to tease them back saying my penis might have extraordinary ability, but it doesn’t", Jurkovic said. He is very happy to have a functioning penis.

"Most of the bike melted. The doctors said that I must have been hit by tens of thousands of volts, but that the rubber in the tyres saved my life," he said at the time. He lives with his mother and has never been married.
SOURCE: http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2010/03/thunder-keeps-man-indoors-after.html

NOTE: This blog post includes a link to this Croatian news(?) item from March, 2010:

http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/P..._functioning_after_being_struck_by_lightning_

This Croatian link is dead, and the Wayback Machine is somehow unable to display the webpage even though it's seemingly archived there.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
3 siblings injured by lightning strike while taking a group selfie sheltering under a tree near Hampton Court.

"The family were told it was possible that a titanium plate in Isobel's arm following a cycling accident last year might have been what led to the lightning surging through their bodies."

Isobel sounds like she attracts bad luck!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57825759