Mars Surface Anomalies Viewed From Orbit / Afar

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Were later photos of the Face of Mars tampered with ?

No, it was just never a face. The original photo was poor quality that made the way its shadows fell look like facial features, but later, better quality photos of the rock revealed it didn't look like a face at all. Only a big rock.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Were later photos of the Face of Mars tampered with ?

I found this later photo but I think it has been tampered with.

face on mars.png

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
The "Face on Mars" was debunked years ago, I'm afraid. A better definition of photograph came along later and revealed the big rock didn't look like a face at all.
I don't believe the face is an artificial structure, but the debunking photos never made it look less like a face to me, just an old, weathered, and crumbling face.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Stunning Picture Reveals Weird 'Polygons' on Mars

The most powerful camera ever sent to another planet has snapped a mesmerizing picture of a bizarre springtime phenomenon on Mars, which paints the red planet with dramatic bright fans of dry ice that erupt from vents in its polar regions.

1655908000619-esp0734710950.jpeg

This patterned alien landscape was imaged in March by NASA’s High Resolution Imaging Experiment (HIRISE), onboard its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The terrain has been sculpted into these polygons by water ice that is frozen into the soil at the planet’s high latitudes. The borders of these shapes, which stretch like white stitches across the Martian surface, are further frayed during springtime by ice transforming directly from a solid to a gas, a process called sublimation, which produces blasts of dry ice.

HiRISE’s image captured the fallout of these icy blasts, and the dark surface particles within them, which are carried by the winds in different directions. As the particles fall, they leave these characteristic fans on the terrain. Some vents produce multiple different streaks that reveal the direction of the wind at different times.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgy9v/stunning-picture-reveals-weird-polygons-on-mars

maximus otter

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
I don't believe the face is an artificial structure, but the debunking photos never made it look less like a face to me, just an old, weathered, and crumbling face.
I read a suggestion it is not a humanoid face but that of a male lion (a book on the Viking missions I read in 2011?) The claim was that a maned lion stands up better under scrutiny from different angles. Then you’ll like this:

https://marsroverblog.com/t/what-nasa-and-esa-are-not-showing-you/9351

In Cydonia, you can see a ‘man’, ‘roaring lion’ eagles’….

Have to say, I can see the man… hmmm

kamalktk

Antediluvian

Stunning Picture Reveals Weird 'Polygons' on Mars

The most powerful camera ever sent to another planet has snapped a mesmerizing picture of a bizarre springtime phenomenon on Mars, which paints the red planet with dramatic bright fans of dry ice that erupt from vents in its polar regions.

1655908000619-esp0734710950.jpeg

This patterned alien landscape was imaged in March by NASA’s High Resolution Imaging Experiment (HIRISE), onboard its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The terrain has been sculpted into these polygons by water ice that is frozen into the soil at the planet’s high latitudes. The borders of these shapes, which stretch like white stitches across the Martian surface, are further frayed during springtime by ice transforming directly from a solid to a gas, a process called sublimation, which produces blasts of dry ice.

HiRISE’s image captured the fallout of these icy blasts, and the dark surface particles within them, which are carried by the winds in different directions. As the particles fall, they leave these characteristic fans on the terrain. Some vents produce multiple different streaks that reveal the direction of the wind at different times.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgy9v/stunning-picture-reveals-weird-polygons-on-mars

maximus otter
Reminds me of salt flats on earth.