• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
mayan calendar/calleman

mmm to explain all there is about this would take me too long and require too much space here so the besy thing is to read it for yourself. 'the dangers of believing in 2012' is certainly worthwhile but perhaps the best start would be to learn how long c j calleman has been studying the calendar and..how he came to do so. i was directed to his website on a strong recommendation from james redfield (celestine prophecy)

synchronicity in my life has increased to levels that astound me; to the extent that occurrences have proved beyond any doubt that we have 'guidance' in our lives if we can tune in or realise it.

one of many: my wife and i were driving up the m5 about 30 miles to visit a boatyard and view a potential purchase. we were discussing a subject that had preoccupied us for some months of a very serious family issue which had a bearing on the well being of her elderly father. it was during this journey that i asked her if she thought we might be up against the freemasons (cos it seemed possible given the people involved).
still talking about this i pulled off the m-way and we began to approach a town. i said that we should stop talking and look at the map for directions so my wife picked up the map. at this point, we stopped at lights. i heard an exclamation from her, she turned to me and said " look to your left at that pub!" it was called 'the freemasons arms'.

when i got home after viewing a few boats i looked in the yellow pages to see how common a name that was. in that county it was the only one and in our home county was one called 'the masons'

and yes...it later transpired that thats exactly whom we've been up against.

i conclude that by asking the right question, we were given the answer.

other coincidences we have experienced have been stronger than this but this one i tell you of because its a reasonably short one.

In Cornwall we just have one Masons Arms (in Falmouth).

But there is a one-time pub in Penryn which used to be called the Red Lion - however the relief of the Masonic symbols over the door still exist today, suggesting it once had a different name.

who cares what the maya thought ok they left a calander which is very accurate and beleved well loads of stuff.im quite sure lots of other cultures baked up all kinds of crazy stuff thats just as irrelivant.just because they are/were from south america dont mean they know/knew jack s**t

for me ppl like the idea old cultures somehow had they ability to prophesisize future events but they in reality had no better chance of doing so

2012 is no more than a good way to sell stuff to ppl(books etc) that otherwise wouldnt care less

The Mayans seem to have totally failed to predict the collapse of their own civilisation, so I fail to see why any other predictions they may or may not have made should be taken seriously.

Expert insists end of world is not nigh
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 35318.html
DICK AHLSTROM, Science Editor

Sat, Nov 13, 2010

DESPITE WHAT you might have heard, the world is not set to end on December 21st, 2012. There are no asteroids to worry about, nor astronomical alignments nor changes in the Sun that will destroy Earth, according to one of Ireland’s top astrophysicists.

Dame Jocelyn Bell-Burnell was in Dublin yesterday to deliver a talk for the Royal Irish Academy as part of Science Week, which comes to a close this weekend.

“Will the World End in 2012 - the astronomical evidence” was the title she chose to discuss the issue, which she says was unfortunately frightening some people despite being complete nonsense.

Apparently we have the Mayan civilisation from 2,000 years ago to thank for the scare story, Dame Jocelyn said in advance of her talk. “This is based on the Mayan calendar, which comes to an end on that date and that probably started it.”

Our calendar ends after 12 months, but the Mayans got better value with theirs, which lasted thousands of years. They did not claim, however, that the world would end on that date, Dame Jocelyn said.

Aside from the calendar, there is no other evidence suggesting that 21/12/2012 will go down as the ultimate bad luck day. Dame Jocelyn listed a number of astronomical claims made by supporters of the end of the world, but dismissed them out of hand.

One claim is that on that date we will be dragged into a massive Black Hole and face complete destruction. “We can’t fall into the Black Hole at the centre of the galaxy. Travelling at light speed it would take us 26,000 years to get there, so we would be very late for 2012,” she said.

Another claim says there will be a grand alignment of Earth with the Sun and the rest of the galaxy and that will see us off, but Dame Jocelyn says no. “There are definitely no alignments of the planets in 2012, but if one did happen, and there have been many, it would have zilch effect on Earth.”

She quickly ruled out an asteroid with Earth’s name on it. “We are watching for asteroids and none are due to impact on 2012.” In fact the next really close asteroid fly-by isn’t due until the 2080s, she added. They only positive thing coming from these kinds of claims was they offered a useful way to teach astronomy, she said.

The claims also provided some with a way to make money and some of the sites promoting the 2012 prediction were selling survival equipment such as gas masks, water purification tablets and survival manuals.

George Lucas says world will end in 2012
Seth Rogen, a comedian and actor, said that he was left speechless by a recent conversation in which George Lucas, the producer of Star Wars and other Hollywood hits, told him of his belief that the world would end in 2012.
7:00AM GMT 21 Jan 2011

Lucas made his claims at a meeting with the actor and Steven Spielberg, the director, to discuss a film project.

Rogen told the Toronto Sun: "George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is going to end in the year 2012, like, for real. He thinks it.
"He's going on about the tectonic plates and all the time Spielberg is, like, rolling his eyes, like, 'My nerdy friend won't shut up, I'm sorry ...'

"I first thought he [Lucas] was joking ... and then I totally realised he was serious and then I started thinking, 'If you're George Lucas and you actually think the world is going to end in a year, there's no way you haven't built a spaceship for yourself ... So I asked him ... 'Can I have a seat on it?'

"He claimed he didn't have a spaceship, but there's no doubt there's a Millennium Falcon in a garage somewhere with a pilot just waiting to go ... It's going to be him and Steven Spielberg and I'll be blown up like the rest of us."

The end of the Mayan calendar in 2012 has led to the notion of an imminent apocalypse gaining some popularity in Hollywood.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -2012.html

On the positive side at least he'll stop mucking about with the original Star Wars trilogy...

Stars who fear the end of the world in 2012
It is not only George Lucas who fears the end of the world. Several celebrities have come out with bizarre beliefs that we are imminently facing the apocalypse.
7:30AM GMT 21 Jan 2011

Actor Ashton Kutcher is preparing for the end and has ramped up his workout routine to protect his family.
"I'm going to be ready to take myself and my family to a safe place where they don't have to worry," he told Men's Fitness. "All of my physical fitness regimen is completely tailored around the end of day," he explained. "I stay fit for no other reason than to save the people I care about."

Rapper Lil Wayne agrees with Lucas that 2012 will be the end of the world.
"The world is about to end in 2012," he told Bender magazine. "The Mayans made calendars, and they stop at 2012 ... The world is about to end as we know it."

Apocalypto director Mel Gibson said while promoting his film in 2006 that the Mayan civilisation and the United States have a lot in common.
"The precursors to a civilisation that's going under are the same, time and time again. What's human sacrifice if not sending guys off to Iraq for no reason? ... I just wanna draw the parallels. I don't wanna be a doomsayer, but the Mayan calendar ends in 2012. So have fun, boys and girls!"

Star of the disaster film 2012, Woody Harrelson, said, when asked whether he thought his film was nonsense or could contain some truth: "ecologically, we seem to be right on target. I am really concerned with that because we are moving towards a very difficult time."

Ghostbusters star Dan Aykroyd said 2012 "will be the end of consciousness and the end of perception as we know it" – and it will involve UFOs, he added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -2012.html

Ooh, goody, UFOs!

Wow, Hollywood stars are completely hatstand shocker. Ashton Kutcher's fitness regime involves what preparation, one wonders, for an apocaylpse, perhaps he'll be catching asteroids or shifting tectonic plates or something? :?

Well Chuck Norris could run around the world the wrong way, turn back time to the Jurrasic age then kick the ass of the dinosaurs.

It wouldn't in the least surprise me if Dan Ackroyd, for example, was making a joke and the reporter didn't get it or thought joking to be not newsworthy enough. I mean, when reporters ask you silly questions, once in awhile you're bound to give him silly answers.

Heckler20 said:
Wow, Hollywood stars are completely hatstand shocker. Ashton Kutcher's fitness regime involves what preparation, one wonders, for an apocaylpse, perhaps he'll be catching asteroids or shifting tectonic plates or something? :?

"All of my physical fitness regimen is completely tailored around the end of day"

Nah, sounds like he works on overdeveloping his forearm before bedtime ;)

PeniG said:
It wouldn't in the least surprise me if Dan Ackroyd, for example, was making a joke and the reporter didn't get it or thought joking to be not newsworthy enough. I mean, when reporters ask you silly questions, once in awhile you're bound to give him silly answers.

Sadly Dan Aykroyd is well known for his "out there" beliefs - for example his Ghostbusters script stemmed from his genuine interest in the paranormal, so I think he may well be sincere in this case.

Incidentally, George Lucas's publicist released a statement saying that he was just joking with Seth Rogen. I suppose at this stage in his career it's hard to tell when Mr Star Wars is being serious or not. Twenty-five minutes! It must have been like a standup routine!

Everybody here has a genuine interest in the paranormal, some of us even have "out there" beliefs, and if most of us said all that, we'd be joking. Only nobody would care because we were never on SNL.

Maybe George Lucas is a 'method-scriptwriter' - in much the same way that some actors are 'method actors'? Perhaps he gets into something so much that he has to believe in it before he can write a good script? Maybe he's writing another 2012-themed screenplay?
Now I'm just speculating.

At risk of sounding ridiculous can I ask a stupid question? Does anyone here think there is any truth in the Mayan prophecy?

linesmachine said:
At risk of sounding ridiculous can I ask a stupid question? Does anyone here think there is any truth in the Mayan prophecy?
First, we have to establish if there actually is a, 'Mayan prophecy'.

All we really have is a symbolic calendar that counts down between cycles, into which people, many years later, have read much.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
linesmachine said:
First, we have to establish if there actually is a, 'Mayan prophecy'.

All we really have is a symbolic calendar that counts down between cycles, into which people, many years later, have read much.

So, in relation to my question, I interpret your answer as being "no". Which, after spending much of this morning reading about it from various sources, I would 100% agree with. In fact I think a more in depth answer would be "even if the Mayans thought they were right, why should we?" Even if the archeological evidence supports the idea that Mayans detailed this scenario, that doesn't make it any more likely to happen than if they didn't. It wouldn't surprise me if many civilisations have/had doomsday dates. Why is the Mayan one so special? I appreciate they were a very special people, but so was David Koresh, and he also had end of world scenarios playing out in his head.

Have I missed something :(

That's not to say, that any possible, 'End of the World', prediction, given the present state of the World, might not come true, in the next two years. I would not be at all surprised. My point is that there's probably not any actual 'authentic', 500+ year old Mayan prophecy connected with the Mayan calendar, what so ever. Just a new, fashionable, prophecy tacked on to a misreading of an ancient artifact.

That's my point.

As I've been having some insomnia issues recently, most recently last night, I had the TV News on in the background at somewhere around 2:30 AM. There was some report from the House of Lards, I wasn't really paying much attention, regarding the Royal mail issue and it's possible sale/outsourcing options. One stout fellow stood up and said something along the lines of -

"This debate need not occur at this moment, as due to other issues, there will clearly be very low estimates for the worth of various sections of RM, this will continue until Nov 2012, followed by frantic trade during Dec 2012"

I perked up at this point, but the report wasn't repeated, but I thought, do they know something we don't, eh, eh? ;)

Cultjunky said:
Why? Won't there be anyone to deliver to?

They're just selling off what assets remain, to pay for all the crazy borrowing of the previous government.

Bizarro2012pic.gif

Back