• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Come to think of it, I don't remember Kirk ever battling a space spider.
There was the Tholian Web but iirc he thought his time better spent being all ethereal. Not much use there.
I think he frenched a woman who turned into a cat once, and there was Gary Seven who worked with a woman who erm, turned into a cat, and Spot of course, Data's moggy. Lot of cats in ST come to think of it.
Just watched Into Darkness again, no cats, just the excruciating balls up between the writer, director, Pine and Quinto of the reverse death scene.
Love Benny Cumberbatch, but by the mighty pecs of Ricardo Montalban, there's Benicio Del Toro and Javier Bardem for a start. Just saying.

Have you ever seen the old 70s drive-in favourite Kingdom of the Spiders? You seem to be living it. You need William Shatner to drive over them with his car.

Darn it GNC, now you've done it! I was driving home just a little while ago and one of them scurried in front of the car! Had to swerve to miss it, since I'm not so cold-hearted that I could run one of them down. Luckily there was no William Shatner in evidence, as experience has taught me this is rarely a good sign.

(I never did see that film, BTW, but my sister did, and she told me all about it so I was traumatized by proxy.)

Darn it GNC, now you've done it! I was driving home just a little while ago and one of them scurried in front of the car! Had to swerve to miss it, since I'm not so cold-hearted that I could run one of them down. Luckily there was no William Shatner in evidence, as experience has taught me this is rarely a good sign.

(I never did see that film, BTW, but my sister did, and she told me all about it so I was traumatized by proxy.)
I saw that film years later on TV, before that though my Mum took me and my sister into a funfair haunted house sometime in the 70's in Sutton Park (back when they were still good) ... I was doing OK until I turned a corner to see a glass case with a fake body lying in it covered in cobwebs and spiders .. I freaked and had to go back out of the front of the house. From memory, they were real tarantulas but my mind might have made that part up ?.

I could do with a half competent spider. They mostly seem obsessed with stringing together strands between my washing line pegs.
I've had one of those telepathic flies bobbing around all week being annoying, I don't like killing things for no reason but this one has been a complete bastard.
It's one of those I associate with being abroad, if you even think about twatting it then it's off, and back again two seconds later.
Generally I leave spiders alone, watching one go left, then right up a curtain convinced me that if I could hear it it would be going "woooooah, the hokey cokey!"
I even leave wasps on buses alone, knowing it will only sting if it's threatened, or if it feels like it. Hovering an inch away from my eye though, it's having it.

perhaps had somehow caught between the moving part of the pedal and the static part, jammed up in there, then came loose during pedal use in hot weather ?
That could be a solution if the part was smaller, but the wooden but this wooden bit is quite substantial and would have stopped the pedal from working.

That could be a solution if the part was smaller, but the wooden but this wooden bit is quite substantial and would have stopped the pedal from working.
so the pedal is physically too small to house the wooden sleeve ?

I can only apologise! I suspect KotS is more traumatic for spider lovers than spider haters, because of the degree of actual, unsimulated carnage visited upon the creatures. Mind you, that ending where they rip off The Birds - sheesh!

On Friday I found myself on Exmoor. I love plants but as I don't live near any moor-y environments I'm not very familiar with the ones there. I was puzzling over some and stood up, asking my colleague "What's this one?". Someone standing right next to me said "Ooh look, a deer!" as one appeared in the distance - at the same time my colleague told me it was "Deer Grass".

Was my meddling with the deer grass annoying the deer? Did I summon an Unreal Deer by studying the deer grass? Is the world a very strange place? It felt a bit like it.

A minor coincidence I know, but I felt ever so slightly weirded out!

My daughter visited for the weekend and a day of the little fecker was enough for her, she went out and bought a can of Raid.
So I crept around like some demented perfume tester. Several sprays later I haven't seen it for a while.
Not my preference, I remember a patch of wall sprayed with something like Raid, this was a while back.
A few days later, a spider ambling along that wall moved onto the patch and promptly dropped down dead. I knew guilt.

I've had spider oddness recently.
One morning, I opened up the downstairs loo and found a dead house spider (a reasonable size) lying dead on the floor near the rear wall. It wasn't just dead, though - it had most of its limbs ripped off.
Since I had the door shut all night, what could have possibly killed it?
My only thought is that a rat had crawled through the sewer, popped up through the toilet bowl and killed the spider, then went back down into the sewer. However, there is no dirt or wetness to betray the rat invasion.
There is no other spider in that small room that could have killed this spider, and there is no web over the carcass.

Sorry Henry, had to like it, it was hilarious:rofl:

Myth, no cat could get in? Maybe another spider did it, revenge killing for something we dont understand :p

Or its their version of a horses head :eek:

Sorry Henry, had to like it, it was hilarious:rofl:

Myth, no cat could get in? Maybe another spider did it, revenge killing for something we dont understand :p

Or its their version of a horses head :eek:
Cats can't get in...unless they crawl through the sewers...

Well thats my daft theory shot down
Maybe it got stuck, it tried to pull away and it ripped all its legs off and died.

Well thats my daft theory shot down
Maybe it got stuck, it tried to pull away and it ripped all its legs off and died.
It's just lying there on the carpet. Not stuck in any way.
Just a mystery.

Any really big, menacing-looking flies around?

I've had spider oddness recently.
One morning, I opened up the downstairs loo and found a dead house spider (a reasonable size) lying dead on the floor near the rear wall. It wasn't just dead, though - it had most of its limbs ripped off.
Since I had the door shut all night, what could have possibly killed it?
My only thought is that a rat had crawled through the sewer, popped up through the toilet bowl and killed the spider, then went back down into the sewer. However, there is no dirt or wetness to betray the rat invasion.
There is no other spider in that small room that could have killed this spider, and there is no web over the carcass.

Could it have been ants? They could have trailed in through a tiny hole, then trailed out again. Whenever we find insect parts around, it's usually ants that are the culprit.

Self-propelled pepper, that'd add an additional spice to your life

When self-propelled, the woodlouse - or rolly-bug - does not resemble a peppercorn.

I have just discovered they are really called Armadillidildo! :rofl:

I spotted one on the move on the same working-surface the day after my unusual snack. :cry:

Attachments

• 1280px-Slater_rolled_up_for_wiki.jpg
    1280px-Slater_rolled_up_for_wiki.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1280px-Slater_rolled_up_for_wiki.jpg
    1280px-Slater_rolled_up_for_wiki.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 10
Back