• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

On way out in't car this morning, we live in a rural area and wile driving down
a stretch of road were there were no houses what I am pretty sure was a soap
bubble about as big as a grapefruit or maybe a little bigger came floating over
the fence out of the field on the left passed in front of the car and disappeared
over the fence into the field on the other side floating about 4 ft in the air,
were the eck it came from I havent a clue, if it had come over a house wall
or seen in a village I would not have thought twice about it but it seemed
so out of place and must have traveled quite some distance.

When I was little, when our washing machine was draining it would create a lot of bubbles and foam at the drain outside. Maybe someone has a less sophisticated washing machine set up near you and you saw a random example of that?

It was 1 single bubble all on it's own and no houses for it to come from
for at least half a mile odd just one of those strange happenings I suppose
if it had been anywhere near a house I would just have put it down ti kids having fun.
Reminded me of Rover from the Prisoner.

dying helium balloon, rotating such that its ovoidity was not apparent, could have been a ticket inside ?

No it was or looked like a soap bubble a biggish one but pretty certain that's what it was.
It reminded me of Rover by the way it moved.

No it was or looked like a soap bubble a biggish one but pretty certain that's what it was.

Sometimes ball-lightning is described as having a nacreous colour effect on its surface, like you get with bubbles.

Though it acted in a way like ball lightening, I have witness that it just looked like a big soap bubble,
if seen in a town you would just think ha someone is blowing bubbles it just seemed so out of
place were it was.

A bit of minor strangeness just now -

A while back, I mentioned there are times when we hear my brother (with his distinctive step) walk into the house and sit down on the couch, only to find no one there.

Well, just now, my 6 year-old reports he saw my brother through the front window as he walked up to the door. When no one came in, 6 year-old looked again and saw no one. He was legitimately confused. Well, I happen to know my brother is not here, he's out of town. :eek:

I did go outside to check that no sketchy types were hiding in the shrubbery, but nothing seems amiss.
If only my brother would keep his astral self on a tighter leash and stop it from freaking us out! :p

Text him and ask what he was doing at that time,
may give some clues.

Have there been scientific tests on how far a soap bubble can travel?
If not, why not?
Being summer I'm going for one of those bubble machines at a nearby fete or other seasonal event.

Have there been scientific tests on how far a soap bubble can travel?
If not, why not?
Being summer I'm going for one of those bubble machines at a nearby fete or other seasonal event.
Nearest place that way would be Thornton about 1.5 miles away but at about 9 am I would not
expect anything like that getting going by then.
But yes I now wounder how far one can travel, up to this I would have said maybe 100 ft but
now I dont know.

rover was a rigid opaque sphere, a soap bubble would be transparent and as above nacreous (great word) and its shape would change during movement through the air

Another beautiful theory ruined by an inconvenient fact.
1.5 miles seems to be stretching the credibility of soap bubble resilience.
Weirdness seems to be encroaching into this experience as my admittedly limited brain struggles for the rational.

Bin day on Monday.
People have got into the habit of putting out stuff for the scrap man the same day, old appliances, anything metal really.
No surprise then to see a fridge freezer in the drive of a house down the road on Monday morning.
Somewhat surprised to see the same fridge freezer outside a house further up the road yesterday.
No mean task getting that up the steps and back down again.
The atomization of society? Wouldn't it have been easier just to ask if it worked?

Bin day on Monday.
People have got into the habit of putting out stuff for the scrap man the same day, old appliances, anything metal really.
No surprise then to see a fridge freezer in the drive of a house down the road on Monday morning.
Somewhat surprised to see the same fridge freezer outside a house further up the road yesterday.
No mean task getting that up the steps and back down again.
The atomization of society? Wouldn't it have been easier just to ask if it worked?
It wasn't just that someone had the same model?

Bit of a coincidence methinks.
I asked for a football in a skip. I thought it polite.
I knocked on the door, no answer. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement.
It was an Asian lady at the window making waving motions with her hands.
Interpreting this, I believe correctly, as fuck off, I did.
The lads in hospital appreciated a kick around on a bit of lawn outside the ward.
Visiting a friend some time later the original deflated ball had been replaced by a new one, so it may have been seen as beneficial.
We do what we can.

Yesterday a bird flew in through the open front door, flew into the opposite wall, turned around and flew straight out again. No pause or deviation.
He clearly hates all inside walls.

Last time I posted anything of substance here it was to recall possibly the strangest "paranormal" experience of my life, from 25 years ago. Mostly, since then, the spirit world has been massively disinterested in me.

However, nine months ago me and my new wife moved into a little old row of terraced houses that were, depending on who you believe, either built for workmen or nurses sometime at the end of the nineteenth century.

Since then, we've had:

An enormous bang from somewhere in the house that shook the walls and sent us scurrying around like bloody Ghostbusters, armed with bits of wood.

The sound of my stepdaughter's bed being bounced on in the middle of the night when she wasn't home.

My stepdaughter's room being tidied up when none of us were home.

The toilet flushing when no one is in there.

The smell of strong cigarette smoke in the bathroom and between it and the spare room, when no one has had a fag.

The sound of drawers being opened and closed in the kitchen at night, resulting in naked me running downstairs to confront whoever.

Various items go missing or moving. A Buddha statue in the lounge that seems to want to only face the fishtank, for instance.

And most alarming, a pair of blue trousers walking across the kitchen, having come from out of the understairs cupboard. I absolutely saw this, I am sure.

Now I come to think of it, Im sure I posted about something strange happening in our kitchen here a few months ago, when a glass transported itself to the sink. Hmm. I may be living in a very low level haunting. None of it is terrifying- although my stepdaughter is a little alarmed. It's more like The Amityville Annoyance than anything horrorish.

Last time I posted anything of substance here it was to recall possibly the strangest "paranormal" experience of my life, from 25 years ago. Mostly, since then, the spirit world has been massively disinterested in me.

However, nine months ago me and my new wife moved into a little old row of terraced houses that were, depending on who you believe, either built for workmen or nurses sometime at the end of the nineteenth century.

Since then, we've had:

An enormous bang from somewhere in the house that shook the walls and sent us scurrying around like bloody Ghostbusters, armed with bits of wood.

The sound of my stepdaughter's bed being bounced on in the middle of the night when she wasn't home.

The smell of strong cigarette smoke in the bathroom and between it and the spare room, when no one has had a fag.

The sound of drawers being opened and closed in the kitchen at night, resulting in naked me running downstairs to confront whoever.

Various items go missing or moving. A Buddha statue in the lounge that seems to want to only face the fishtank, for instance.

And most alarming, a pair of blue trousers walking across the kitchen, having come from out of the understairs cupboard. I absolutely saw this, I am sure.

Now I come to think of it, Im sure I posted about something strange happening in our kitchen here a few months ago, when a glass transported itself to the sink. Hmm. I may be living in a very low level haunting. None of it is terrifying- although my stepdaughter is a little alarmed. It's more like The Amityville Annoyance than anything horrorish.
I would define that as a major strangeness.

I agree.

Also: the polt possessed trousers phenomenon reminds me immediately of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" (& the original fantastic Mary Norton books), with the spell effect of what was called 'substitutiary locomotion'.

Sometimes neighbours cigarette smoke can seep through walls in certain old terraced houses, it does at my mother's. Got a smoking neighbour?

:eek:
Did you recognise them as one of your own pairs of trousers?

Sometimes neighbours cigarette smoke can seep through walls in certain old terraced houses, it does at my mother's. Got a smoking neighbour?

:eek:
Did you recognise them as one of your own pairs of trousers?

Re smoking, yes, and that's what I've put it down to. Very strong though- like a freshly smoked fag.

And re the trousers (!), No. I don't own any blue trousers at all. Light blue slacks, of the "elderly man" variety is the impression I got. It was very quick. Im not claiming I stood there and watched as a pair of trousers wandered out of a cupboard. I was washing up and caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye. But that's how it seemed to me. I'm not necessarily a believer in such things (ghosts, not trousers. I'm fairly sure trousers are real), but I thought it was worth adding to the litany of strange that this house has proven to seem intent on flinging at us.

Hmmm....
And most alarming, a pair of blue trousers walking across the kitchen, having come from out of the understairs cupboard. I absolutely saw this, I am sure

But....
Im not claiming I stood there and watched as a pair of trousers wandered out of a cupboard

Oh dear.... I'm haunted more by the disappointment, than the inevitable retraction.

Hmmm....

But....

Oh dear.... I'm haunted more by the disappointment, than the inevitable retraction.

Haha, I am so sorry Ermintruder. But that's what I saw, if that in any way takes the edge off. Wouldn't it be wonderful if at last, proof positive of the supernatural was confirmed, not by Zack Bagans or Maurice Gross, but by a pair of comedy trousers deciding to choose that moment to defiantly stalk out of my understairs cupboard?

Haha, I am so sorry Ermintruder. But that's what I saw, if that in any way takes the edge off. Wouldn't it be wonderful if at last, proof positive of the supernatural was confirmed, not by Zack Bagans or Maurice Gross, but by a pair of comedy trousers deciding to choose that moment to defiantly stalk out of my understairs cupboard?

Which brings to mind the most terrifying Dr. Seuss story ever...

WhatWasIScaredOf.png

Since then, we've had:

Check any hatch into the attic...sometimes older houses have common roof-space.

I agree.

Also: the polt possessed trousers phenomenon reminds me immediately of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" (& the original fantastic Mary Norton books), with the spell effect of what was called 'substitutiary locomotion'.

Or indeed the utterly brilliant Sir Henry at Rawlinson End - a film with more than a few Fortean themes! (Haunted trousers around the 54 minute mark).

Last edited:
Which brings to mind the most terrifying Dr. Seuss story ever...
(for me, it was the Green Eggs & Ham that breached my threshold of fear)

Also, it may have been a case of the Wrong Trousers..
the_wrong_trousers_by_thebigdavec-d60xbjd.png

(...which were controlled by the most-malevolent penguin I've ever seen. Incidently, I saw through that rubber-glove disguise almost immediately. Clever, but not clever enough....)

Back