• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Me too. I used to love making these...

aurora-monsters1.jpg

I also used to like the Aurora prehistoric scenes kits, and the large Caveman models.

With things such as Nazi Kettenkrads and Schwimmwagens for light relief....
37f57a2cde2e9919c53f3adf090cda16--model-building-armored-vehicles.jpg

CxXlYg0UkAAxhFB.jpg

I spent all my pocket money on Tamiya - deep joy

Tudor crisps I remember and Canadian Ham Seabrook crisps - why Canadian though? Oh and salt and shake.

Perhaps they meant Canadian bacon? Otherwise known as back bacon in Canada and erm...ordinary bacon in the UK.
You're right, that doesn't make any sense. o_O

What is the shake in salt and shake? Or do you mean you actually shake the bag? This language divide is confusing me! :cry: :p

They have a little blue bag of salt which you can open and season the crisps with, or not.

What is the shake in salt and shake? Or do you mean you actually shake the bag? This language divide is confusing me! :cry: :p
It's a small blue waxed bag of salt, inside the the main bag, beside the chips/crisps. A personally-selectable quantity of poison is then shaken into the main bag, over the chips/crisps, and the whole arrangement is (unsurprisingly) shaken.

I think salt is the very devil of condiments....personally.

They have a little blue bag of salt which you can open and season the crisps with, or not.

When I first came across crisps in the '60s the salt was in a little twist of paper which you had to unwrap. At school the boys would dare each other to dip their tongues into it!

Do they still have those? I've not seen any for decades. Crisps seem to come in a variety of flavours nowadays.

I had some at lunchtime, for what it's worth. And, Ermintruder, I used the WHOLE PACKET OF SALT. (Most of it sticks to the grease on the inside of the bag though, to be honest).

It's a small blue waxed bag of salt, inside the the main bag, beside the chips/crisps. A personally-selectable quantity of poison is then shaken into the main bag, over the chips/crisps, and the whole arrangement is (unsurprisingly) shaken.

I think salt is the very devil of condiments....personally.

I'm with you on that!
I do buy the salt 'n shake crisps, but discard the little blue sachet of salt.
I note that it is a flat, vacuum packed sachet these days, rather than the twisted bulbous bags I remember from school days.
I very seldom use salt for cooking either and when I do, it's the low-sodium version.

Seabrooks are still going and I'm sure I've seen them on sale in the supermarkets round here (Bedfordshire).
Yep - still can get Seabrooks. Ate a whole bag yesterday ie a bag of 6 packets! Tried to go cold turkey on crisps many times to no avail.

I very seldom use salt for cooking either and when I do, it's the low-sodium version.
If you mean 'Lo Salt', a dietician told me that it is still 'salt', just with Potassium rather than Sodium.
It still does the same things to your body.

The best salt I've ever had is sea salt (in flakes). It tastes different somehow.

Morrisons do a butter with sea salt in, I think its called Brittany butter, very nice

I saw Sainsburys had their own salt and shake the other day. Does anyone remember salt and shake style that were flavours? Probably 80s or early 90s.

Yes, because of them I know what cheese and onion and prawn cocktail flavoured crisps taste like. As far as I know they were just a brief fad.

"Little blue salt bag... AAAAAAAND FRIENDS!!!"

Yes, because of them I know what cheese and onion and prawn cocktail flavoured crisps taste like. As far as I know they were just a brief fad.
Cheese and Onion a fad?! Never! My favourite favour for years.

No, I mean flavour and shake crisps were a fad, as far as I know you can't get them anymore.
Walkers Salt and Shake crisps are still available. They took over the idea from Smiths.

Yes, but flavour and shake crisps are not.
Oops, sorry - I missed the nuance in that. :oops:
Probably because I'd never, ever heard of 'flavour and shake' crisps. They must have been available for all of 5 minutes! :D

Oh dear, I'm not making myself very clear tonight! I'm off to watch TV...

My husband and our cats.
A few weeks ago, going back from work, my other half saw for a split second our cat Yonna, who died last year. She appeared on the driver's mirror of his car. He nearly ended up on the pavement.
Yesterday, our new cat, Malew, went to the vet for dematting. She eventually had to have be anesthetized around 2.00pm. At the time, my husband didn't know about it and got out of the car at work, when he blacked out and his colleague nearly called for an ambulance. Half an hour later, he was fine and had a call from the vet telling him that the cat was anesthetized at the time he had his 'woozy' spell. I would like to think that he's got only a telepathic link with our cats, even beyond the grave of the first one. My hubby is not stranger to fortean phenomena, anyway, but that's another story.

Oops, sorry - I missed the nuance in that. :oops:
Probably because I'd never, ever heard of 'flavour and shake' crisps. They must have been available for all of 5 minutes! :D

I think maybe GNC is the same vintage as me so we were the right ago for those 5 minutes.

I was 14 in the Summer of '87 when I first worked in a pub and the first tune I heard on the jukebox was The Communard's cover of Don't Leave Me This Way ... I started my new job, again behind a bar a couple of weeks back, 30 years later and the first tune I heard was the exact same one.

I was 14 in the Summer of '87 when I first worked in a pub and the first tune I heard on the jukebox was The Communard's cover of Don't Leave Me This Way ... I started my new job, again behind a bar a couple of weeks back, 30 years later and the first tune I heard was the exact same one.
That was the pub business, telling you not to leave!

Back