• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

You're a lesbian stuck in a man's body, Swifty. :p
Funny you say that, a lesbian friend of mine cracked the same joke to me recently :p ..

(Jesus Christ ! .. not that I'm complaining but when did we get all these new emoticons ?)

Near Edinburgh towards the end of last week, I was standing waiting for the pedestrian crossing lights to go green on a one-way road. I was at the back of quite a large group of people.

The lights changed in our favour, and the cars started slowing to a stop. As they did so, a well-dressed man (early 40s, in a grey suit) hurled what looked like a pink milk-shake in a cardboard cup really hard at the windscreen of the car closest to us, then turned and walked away very fast (but not running).

Everyone was stunned, especially the driver of the milkshaked car (the result of this was that nobody at all crossed the road, and only the far-side cars started moving past, slooowly, all staring).

The Milkshaked car driver hand-swept his windscreen clear of strawberry milkshake, and handed the cup/lid/straw to an oddly-obliging random person, shouted "BASTARD!" in the general direction of the long-gone perpetrator, got back into his car, and drove off (windscreen wipers and water-jets on full blast).

I think it was random.

I don't think it was staged (could it have been?)

Very odd.....

Near Edinburgh towards the end of last week, I was standing waiting for the pedestrian crossing lights to go green on a one-way road. I was at the back of quite a large group of people.

The lights changed in our favour, and the cars started slowing to a stop. As they did so, a well-dressed man (early 40s, in a grey suit) hurled what looked like a pink milk-shake in a cardboard cup really hard at the windscreen of the car closest to us, then turned and walked away very fast (but not running).

Everyone was stunned, especially the driver of the milkshaked car (the result of this was that nobody at all crossed the road, and only the far-side cars started moving past, slooowly, all staring).

The Milkshaked car driver hand-swept his windscreen clear of strawberry milkshake, and handed the cup/lid/straw to an oddly-obliging random person, shouted "BASTARD!" in the general direction of the long-gone perpetrator, got back into his car, and drove off (windscreen wipers and water-jets on full blast).

I think it was random.

I don't think it was staged (could it have been?)

Very odd.....
Onlookers were shaken, not stirred.

I was 14 in the Summer of '87 when I first worked in a pub and the first tune I heard on the jukebox was The Communard's cover of Don't Leave Me This Way ... I started my new job, again behind a bar a couple of weeks back, 30 years later and the first tune I heard was the exact same one.

Norwegian Wood for me. Two weeks in Port Grimaud opposite San Tropez.
The long bar on site as it was called had a singer/guitarist in situ and that was part of his repertoire.
It became the sort of holiday anthem for our gang.
Got back home. First day up for work, it was playing on the radio.

Regarding blue salt packets in crisps, my mate Ferkins said his was missing, so he went to the police station to see if someone had got two in theirs and handed the spare one in.

t'other day I turned to my passenger in t'motor and said 'This song that's playing, it's about you!'

It was not a compliment. :D

Today on my 'Facebook Memories' I noticed that I'd posted the same song a few years ago, with a mention that it reminded me of someone who is 'probably long dead now.' Reposted it with the caption 'He's not dead.'

Dammit.

t'other day I turned to my passenger in t'motor and said 'This song that's playing, it's about you!'

It was not a compliment. :D

Today on my 'Facebook Memories' I noticed that I'd posted the same song a few years ago, with a mention that it reminded me of someone who is 'probably long dead now.' Reposted it with the caption 'He's not dead.'

Dammit.
Was the song 'You're So Vain'?

The song is Deep Purple's 'Bloodsucker', about a man who sponges off women. Like I said, it wasn't a compliment.

The Carly Simon song, I love that, the whole album in fact, and as teenager wanted to be her as she appeared on the sleeve.

On the subject of which, yes, there is indeed a cast of characters from A to Z, strange you should ask...

Last edited:
The Carly Simon song, I love that, the whole album in fact, and as teenager wanted to be her as she appeared on the sleeve.

I kinda hope you still do, because that's how I imagine you when reading your posts. With the shoulder bag and hat and everything. :oops:

(not stalking you, BTW, you mentioned this once before and the image stuck in my head!)

Ah yes, the Carly Simon album cover. Resolving sexual identity since 1973.

I should take the time to research who Freddy was so mad at in Flick Of The Wrist and Death On Two Legs.
I kind of like them as creations sufficient unto themselves though, splendid lines like 'you're a sewer rat decaying in a cesspool of pride' are perhaps to admired rather than understood.

I kinda hope you still do, because that's how I imagine you when reading your posts. With the shoulder bag and hat and everything. :oops:

(not stalking you, BTW, you mentioned this once before and the image stuck in my head!)

Oh yup, she was sooo beautiful.

Death On Two Legs = Norman Sheffield

Thanks. Silly Norman.

You're So Vain, Warren Beatty? Mick Jagger? Some other bloke?
Who knows?
I saw the BBC 4 documentary on Carly, talented lady, I'm sure the irony would have been totally lost on Mick anyway, but he sang backing vocals on it.
Also Klaus Voorman of Beatles in Hamburg fame played bass.
Epstein, now there was a manager, reportedly he gave away 90 per cent of the royalties on Beatles merchandise in America.

Thanks. Silly Norman.

You're So Vain, Warren Beatty? Mick Jagger? Some other bloke?
Who knows?

It just seemed like a generic rich bloke to me but apparently each verse is about a different person.
This one always sounded a little sinister -

Oh, you had me several years ago
When I was still quite naive
Well, you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved
And one of them was me
I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and
You're so vain

Like, when she was young and unknown and could be taken advantage of by an older, more sophisticated man. Creepy.

Oh yeah, and I dreamed about her last night. o_O

I have a job where I occasionally see famous people so wasn't surprised when Carly popped up. I tried to get her to do the hand-position from the album cover. It's always intrigued me.

I've just finished the scandalous Hollywood Private Lives Uncensored by Alan Royle.

Older, rich men taking advantage of naive young wannabes? It's not unheard of!

I've just finished the scandalous Hollywood Private Lives Uncensored by Alan Royle.

Older, rich men taking advantage of naive young wannabes? It's not unheard of!

David Niven's books hint at this sort of thing a lot. Some of his subjects were still alive so he was cautious.

I read his books, though years ago.
For some reason that I'm certain reflects badly on me, I can only recall his story about the actress with the peculiar fetish.

David Niven's books hint at this sort of thing a lot. Some of his subjects were still alive so he was cautious.
He does tell about the trick they played on Errol Flynn, who liked them young. They got a very young looking 'lady of the night' to dress up as a girl and lure him into sex and then got another woman to burst in and accuse him of seducing her (underage) daughter...

He does tell about the trick they played on Errol Flynn, who liked them young. They got a very young looking 'lady of the night' to dress up as a girl and lure him into sex and then got another woman to burst in and accuse him of seducing her (underage) daughter...

As I recall, there wasn't much 'luring' going on. Once left alone with the young woman, Flynn pounced on her. He wasn't taking no for an answer. A truly less experienced girl might have screamed the place down.

Wasn't it also Flynn who parked outside a girls' high school and shook his head sadly at all the, er, specific female anatomy going to 'waste'?

I read his books, though years ago.
For some reason that I'm certain reflects badly on me, I can only recall his story about the actress with the peculiar fetish.

Can't remember that bit, hint please!

Lana Turner and her pterodactyl?

Audrey Hepburn and her box of slugs?

Liz Taylor's immersion in a tank of shaved kittens?

Those Grace Kelly scenes with her rampant Parrot?

Maybe those were just the things I doodled in the margin . . . :evil:
Well, you can just rock me to sleep tonight.

Iirc it involved him putting a shower cap on.

:omg:

Are you sure that's from those books? Niven was careful not to include anything racier than the fact that certain actors may have lived together out of wedlock, which could cause a huge scandal back then. He didn't describe individuals' sexual practices, least of all his own.

Back