• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

That happened to Mrs DT a few months ago Ronnie. We were in the local pub. I’d popped to the gents & on my way back saw that a guy who must have been in his mid-60’s was sitting at our table chatting to Mrs DT like he’d known her for years. Mrs DT saw me and was pulling a face that said HELP!!!! Lol.

God knows who he thought she was, but he called her Sarah a couple of times, so I guess he thought she was Sarah – who ever she is.

I thought it incredibly amusing. Mrs DT not so much so :)
It's the strangest thing - and I have bumped into people I have known for years, who did not recognize me without all my makeup on.
Apparently I look like two different people, with and without makeup.
Weird.

It's the strangest thing - and I have bumped into people I have known for years, who did not recognize me without all my makeup on.
Apparently I look like two different people, with and without makeup.
Weird.
Most girls do Ronnie. Some days I wake up and think who the hell am I lying next to, and where has Mrs DT gone. :hahazebs:

Recently I spotted my son in his car probably 30 miles away from where he lives and works. During the day when he should have been at work. I turned round and began to chase him and pulling up behind him realised that his car reg was different. Driving past I couldn't believe how identical the driver was to said son and how identical his car was. (son insists on driving small tatty old green Jap car). Driver gave me a strange look and I wondered whether how identical to his father I am. At the weekend we were stood on the local supermarket escalator when Ms P said Michael (other son) is stood behind us, despite him living 50 miles away. Turned round and found a complete doppelganger of Michael, so much so that I had to say something. The guy just laughed. I was tempted to ask if he was a relative but discretion got the better of me. Strange bit of coincidence.

To see both lookalikes in such a short space of time is extraordinary.

I’ve had that happen to me while I’ve been meditating, or prior to it when I’m in a relaxed state. I’m suddenly either where I was born in the country, in that bedroom, or my mother’s house here in town. Even the light from the windows is sensed and the scents. It’s so real.
A similar experience on Reddit.

Glitch/Time Slip?

‘I’m new to reddit so I’m not sure exactly where to post this. Apologies it this does not belong, and for the length.

This was the weirdest experience I have had to date, and I still get choked up and emotional when I think about it. It was 2010 and I was 25 years old, living at home with my very supportive parents who were helping me through college (after previously dropping out of high school and having two amazing children)

It was an early autumn afternoon, around 4-5 pm. I was in my room, doing some homework on my laptop, at my desk. The desk faced the wall directly across from my bed, and my older style box tv was on top of my dresser to the left of my desk, about 2 feet away. I was, as usual, procrastinating doing my homework, so I was mindlessly watching some dumb tv show.

Because my tv was so close, I stood up instead of using the remote to change the volume on my tv. As I reached out my left hand to press the button, as if a switch flipped, my entire environment changed. This affects me still to this day; I still feel it in my soul that something strange happened. I didn’t hallucinate, it was real. I was back in my childhood home, some 20 miles away, and seemingly 18 years in the past!!

I was standing in front of the only hallway closet in the one-bedroom house that I grew up in. The house was over one hundred years old, and the closet was one of those with the doors that slide open on tracks. You know, the ones that the doors NEVER go back on the tracks right, so you must be careful of how you open it. Anyway, the door to the closet was open, and my already outstretched left arm was reaching toward a very distinct item.

When I was little, my mother had this perfume bottle that, for some reason, I was absolutely in love with. The perfume itself was cheap and didn’t smell particularly good to me. The bottle was glass, and shaped like a bird, maybe a dove. Its wings were up and outstretched. It was beautiful, but it had a broken wing. I probably broke it, being the curious and clumsy child I was (and still am, lol.)

So, there I was, one moment in my somewhat modern bedroom in 2010, the next in the old one-bedroom hallway across the county, back in time 18 years. I was there, I saw the bird bottle. I was within inches of grabbing it. My heart melted for that dumb little bottle of stinky perfume shaped like a one-winged dove. (Oh my god, this is not a Fleetwood Mac song, I swear!)

Before my hand could actually make physical contact with that precious bird, the switch flipped again. I was back in front of my tv, outstretched left hand and all. My mind could not comprehend what had just happened, and I felt immediately sick and dizzy. I was in such a state of shock and confusion that I just walked out of my room, down the hall, into the living room and out into the front yard.

I could do nothing but lurch over, hands on my knees and try desperately to catch my breath, but mostly my sanity. This experience was so jarring, so *real.* I was physically in front of that open closet, reaching for that damn bird bottle, then I *wasn’t.*

I wasn’t particularly stressed about classes; it was community college. I’m not prone to hallucinations and was stone cold sober when this experience happened. I’ve only told a few people because honestly the subject of momentarily teleporting through time and space doesn’t come up in conversation often, and I only know a few people that I can tell.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? I still have no explanation and it might have just been a weird break in psyche, but it was not a dream, and I was not under the influence of anything or under any unusual stress.’

To this day, people still wave and say hello to me, and I have no idea who they are!
I don't know if it's the long blonde hair or what it is, but I'm always being told that I look like so-and-so, and when they get up close they realize it's not them.
Almost every single day if I'm walking down the road drivers will beep and wave - I must have one of those plain faces that look like everyone!
I quite often do a 'double take' when I see a young woman with long blonde hair - my first thought is 'that's Fern!' (my middle daughter). It isn't, it's just that she has a kind of 'generic attractive woman' face and long blonde hair. Although my younger son tells a very amusing story about meeting his doppelganger in a nightclub in Sheffield, with both respective groups of friends astonished at their similarity. But then he is a fairly generic looking 20-something bloke with short hair and a beard.

I think we often don't really LOOK at people, we just notice isolated features, general hair style and colour, height and build and face shape. Therefore people who roughly fit the same format will look alike.

I quite often do a 'double take' when I see a young woman with long blonde hair - my first thought is 'that's Fern!' (my middle daughter). It isn't, it's just that she has a kind of 'generic attractive woman' face and long blonde hair. Although my younger son tells a very amusing story about meeting his doppelganger in a nightclub in Sheffield, with both respective groups of friends astonished at their similarity. But then he is a fairly generic looking 20-something bloke with short hair and a beard.

I think we often don't really LOOK at people, we just notice isolated features, general hair style and colour, height and build and face shape. Therefore people who roughly fit the same format will look alike.
Yes, and when I opened a hair salon I realized how important hair is -
Imagine Cary Grant with a hair out of place, it wouldn't be him!
The first thing noticed on a person is the hair (of course, the men will probably disagree - LOL!), and if that is a mess, then no amount of designer clothing will make them appear any better.
I think most of how we appear can almost be an illusion.
And I feel sorry for the poor cavewomen of ancient times! :)

I have, over the course of the years, mis-identified a number of people at close range, so much so that I believe that I suffer from a mild case of Prosopagnosia (face blindness).
One bloke I knew particularly well who had the surname 'Currie' was just called 'Currie' by everyone without using his silly first name.
I saw him walking towards me one day and acknowledged him with a nod of my head and said 'Currie!'.
It wasn't him at all and the bloke looked obviously quite surprised. "Sorry mate, I thought you were someone else" I said.
He probably told his mates later how some random bloke had said 'Curry' to him.
I've sometimes wondered if I have a mild case of face-blindness. At school, I used to meet up with my friends after classes in the street outside, which was always busy. I used to watch for and pick out their schoolbags in the crowd, rather than their faces.

I've also at least twice walked past close friends (both people I've known for a VERY long time) and not noticed them because they were wearing clothes that were outside of their usual style.

Absolutely - I was asked directions to a hospital by two blokes a couple of weeks back. After I’d done so the mate I was with laughingly said ‘did you notice the wig?’ Apparently one of them was wearing a very obvious ill-fitting Irish jig. I never noticed at all.

There used to be an old woman in the local area that people called either the goat lady or the cat woman as she had numbers of each and apparently smelled like them too.
One day I was shopping with a friend and she came up for a chat and I didn't notice anything odd until my friend started coughing and saying we needed to go. Places would spray after she had been there apparently. She said that she couldn't bear the smell but I hadn't noticed it.

Ah but were you wearing that hat. Would have been a dead giveaway.:chuckle:
In real life I don't wear that hat - but am looking for one, so I can have photos taken of myself, as my avatar.
Looked at Walmart the other day for the sequins (for around the eyes) and there were none, the sewing shops are no longer in my area. But I'll find them!

the sequins (for around the eyes)
IIRC you can get them as a product for cake-making - edible sequins if you will.

Ahah. Yes you can.
1680265818961.png

I was just reading a story in Credible Witness II. As I started reading fire came into my head strongly. It did turn out to be a story of a phantom fire. I have read these books before but can’t remember any of the stories. My memory is pretty bad like that. So much so I can even enjoy stories I’ve written a while ago. Also my eyes didn’t land on the word fire until I got down to it. Maybe my unconscious mind has a better memory than my conscious mind does.

You still have a milkman delivering milk to the house??
Something we haven't had since I was a little girl!
I assume that in the USA the milkman is a non entity?
I base that on a story I was told years ago (early 1980’s) by a guy helping us out at work during annual leave from his usual place of work.
His full time job was milkman. He and a friend visited America and took a trip up the Empire State building where he was approached by a lady who turned out to be a journalist.
She was researching tourism and asked the usual questions one would of the tourists, but when she asked him what he did back in the U.K., she flatly refused to believe him. She could not comprehend that this guy got up in the middle of the night to drive a small electric vehicle around the streets, in darkness, and deposit pints of milk on the doorsteps of people as they slept.
Just so they had fresh milk for tea and breakfast when they awoke.

I heard clinking of glass outside last night & was surprised to find a milk delivery man dropping some off opposite at 2am.
We had that happen down our road last summer - a company called something like "The Modern Milkman" (who managed to deliver my neighbours stuff to my doorstep one time).
The whole street started complaining to the company after a while though because the chap delivering had absolutely no consideration for the fact that he was delivering to a very quiet residential area at 3am, in the summer when everyone had their windows open, leaving his engine running, music playing on the stereo, making no effort to move the bottles etc quietly, and having loud conversations on his phone.

On the recent topic of lookalikes, apparently I have one in Glasgow that was so striking it made one of my friends stop and stare.

A former work colleague got accosted whilst out shopping and asked why they weren't at college. Turns out this lady had not long dropped off her granddaughter there, and so she was surprised to see she'd went shopping instead. Of course, it wasn't her granddaughter, and despite being face to face it took a while for my colleague to persuade her that she wasn't her granddaughter. I now wonder whether the lady might have had dementia, although apparently she seemed totally lucid.

Apologies if I've posted this before, I feel like I have but I can't find the post if it exists:

Myself and my husband had a strange experience a while ago. We were about to go on a long car journey and decided to pop into a bakery to get some food (well, I went in, he waited in the car). As I was walking towards the bakery a guy passed me and there was a look of recognition on his face. I don't think he nodded but he kind of acknowledged me in a shy(?) way. I thought oh, I think that was Dave! (a friend's partner) but it was too late to turn around and say hello once I'd worked out it was him. Plus I thought it was a bit odd as he doesn't live or work anywhere near where we were. So I went into the bakery, got our food, and as I got into the car my husband said 'Did you see James?' (another friend's partner). Me: 'Where?' *looks around wildly* Husband: "The guy who passed you and was getting into the car opposite. He waved at me as he drove off so I waved back." Me (mega confused): "No I think that was Dave!" To add to the oddness, they don't look like each other at all. I ended up messaging both friends and it wasn't them, in fact I think they were both with their partners at the time.

So basically... we both recognised different people (who do not look alike) but it was neither of them... and yet this guy seemed to recognise us both. Full disclosure, I can be a bit face blind at times, but that doesn't really explain the story. We have never worked out who it was. Perhaps we look like people he knows, or he was just a random weirdo, but he seemed like a normal bloke on his lunch break. I think it'll forever be a minor mystery for us. :D

Last edited:
I assume that in the USA the milkman is a non entity?
I base that on a story I was told years ago (early 1980’s) by a guy helping us out at work during annual leave from his usual place of work.
His full time job was milkman. He and a friend visited America and took a trip up the Empire State building where he was approached by a lady who turned out to be a journalist.
She was researching tourism and asked the usual questions one would of the tourists, but when she asked him what he did back in the U.K., she flatly refused to believe him. She could not comprehend that this guy got up in the middle of the night to drive a small electric vehicle around the streets, in darkness, and deposit pints of milk on the doorsteps of people as they slept.
Just so they had fresh milk for tea and breakfast when they awoke.
Our little town had cows and a dairy when we first moved here, everyone had their milk delivered each morning.
The dairy is long gone, replaced by apartment buildings and cars and noise. Owned by the people who ran that dairy.
I remember we had milk delivered in glass bottles, with the cream at the top of the bottle!
But no, I haven't seen or heard of a milkman, at least not here.

Back