• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I was once told that a lot of how we recognise people from a reasonable distance is to do with how they walk. He was firmly convinced that if you changed your gait in some way people were far less likely to recognise you.

Dunno. Anyone else heard that, or even tried it?

Our little town had cows and a dairy when we first moved here, everyone had their milk delivered each morning.
The dairy is long gone, replaced by apartment buildings and cars and noise. Owned by the people who ran that dairy.
I remember we had milk delivered in glass bottles, with the cream at the top of the bottle!
But no, I haven't seen or heard of a milkman, at least not here.
I don't know how prevalent it is in other places here, but around our way there are quite a few companies delivering veg etc in the early hours. Not from the supermarkets, but from local farms/farmshops. MrsF used them for a good while. They used to come around 3am and leave it on the doorstep. I still see/hear the van go past to a neighbour.

I do see some houses with empty milkbottles outside as well, so there is still a milkdude about as well.

I do see some houses with empty milkbottles outside as well, so there is still a milkdude about as well.

Probably in preparation for riots, never know when you'll need a Molotov Cocktail. Be like the French!

molotovc.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how prevalent it is in other places here, but around our way there are quite a few companies delivering veg etc in the early hours. Not from the supermarkets, but from local farms/farmshops. MrsF used them for a good while. They used to come around 3am and leave it on the doorstep. I still see/hear the van go past to a neighbour.

They actually deliver vegetables to you??
And from local farms no less, that has to be the best!
What lovely small town lives you have!

You still have a milkman delivering milk to the house??
Something we haven't had since I was a little girl!
They’re almost as rare as Bigfoot round here, that’s what made it unusual - especially at 2am. When I was a kid that’s the way you got your milk & you’d settle up at the end of the week but they disappeared decades ago.

I woke early and decided to get up and go to the beach to take a photo of the sunrise later. I was sitting at my desk checking the weather forecasts and my emails when I heard my doorbell ring. At 4.45 in the morning! The bell is plugged in to an outlet in the living room and it sounds two falling tones which are repeated after a brief pause so not likely to be confused with anything else. I went to the door and there was nobody there.
Did I imagine it or was there a power glitch? I don't believe it was the power because I would have noticed the lights and my monitors flicker.
Does it happen every day and I'm just not downstairs to hear it?

I woke early and decided to get up and go to the beach to take a photo of the sunrise later. I was sitting at my desk checking the weather forecasts and my emails when I heard my doorbell ring. At 4.45 in the morning! The bell is plugged in to an outlet in the living room and it sounds two falling tones which are repeated after a brief pause so not likely to be confused with anything else. I went to the door and there was nobody there.
Did I imagine it or was there a power glitch? I don't believe it was the power because I would have noticed the lights and my monitors flicker.
Does it happen every day and I'm just not downstairs to hear it?

Possibly due to temperature change moving parts into/out of contact with one another?

Does a battery need to be changed?

maximus otter

You still have a milkman delivering milk to the house??
Something we haven't had since I was a little girl!

We did get our milk (and occasional fruit juice and yoghurts) delivered by Unigate until around 6 years ago.
When the franchise was taken over by another company "Milk and More" it became a total shambles, with incorrect or late deliveries and a woeful website which made it almost impossible to update your orders.
We cancelled soon after - along with thousands of others, if you believe the comments on Trustpilot.

Possibly due to temperature change moving parts into/out of contact with one another?

Does a battery need to be changed?
The bell is in the living room and mains powered. When the bell push battery is low it just stops working. I've had the cover off it and there's no sign of corrosion and the battery checker shows it is OK. I checked it worked whle I had it indoors and now I'm not sure whether it sounds exactly like the noise this morning. Maybe I was tired and imagined it.

What? No ladies in miniskirts and boots?
Are you quite mad? With modern employment rules I would have to have a whole additional section of accommodation built on with separate toilet/bathroom facilities!
Whereas Wetherby performs his duties for a pork pie per week and as much mead as he can consume, and has a bit of space on the floor at the back of the garage to sleep on, and a bucket for his ablutions and other business.
Plus, if told to, and to ensure he doesn't lose his position, he would don a miniskirt and boots if you really wanted him to.

Are you quite mad? With modern employment rules I would have to have a whole additional section of accommodation built on with separate toilet/bathroom facilities!
Whereas Wetherby performs his duties for a pork pie per week and as much mead as he can consume, and has a bit of space on the floor at the back of the garage to sleep on, and a bucket for his ablutions and other business.
Plus, if told to, and to ensure he doesn't lose his position, he would don a miniskirt and boots if you really wanted him to.
Yes, but can he type?? (A joke over here!)

I was out detectoring metal at the weekend and spied a size 12 right-hand welly boot upright in a furrow. Maybe not a strange sight in a 40 acre muddy field at a Rally, but it looked like the top had been shredded by a cutting implement. 10 mins and 30 metres later I had a strange signal and dug up a size 12 left-hand welly - actually a safety boot with a steel toe-cap (hence the signal). Managed to spot and retrieve the original boot and paired them next to a Telegraph pole. But not a pair as one didn't have a toe-cap. So ... presumably there's another mismatched pair out there.

Boots_1224a.jpg Boots_1223c.jpg

I was out detectoring metal at the weekend and spied a size 12 right-hand welly boot upright in a furrow. Maybe not a strange sight in a 40 acre muddy field at a Rally, but it looked like the top had been shredded by a cutting implement. 10 mins and 30 metres later I had a strange signal and dug up a size 12 left-hand welly - actually a safety boot with a steel toe-cap (hence the signal). Managed to spot and retrieve the original boot and paired them next to a Telegraph pole. But not a pair as one didn't have a toe-cap. So ... presumably there's another mismatched pair out there.

View attachment 65072 View attachment 65074
Growing up on a farm, there were huge mud holes from the cattle traipsing in and out of the barn. You were lucky to get your boots out if you miscalculated and stepped right into the midst. Oftentimes, I would be standing on one booted foot trying to pull the other boot out.

Growing up on a farm, there were huge mud holes from the cattle traipsing in and out of the barn. You were lucky to get your boots out if you miscalculated and stepped right into the midst. Oftentimes, I would be standing on one booted foot trying to pull the other boot out.
On a few occasions I've ended up stepping into a bit of a swampy area that's come up over the old wellies when out with the dog- who does one of two things; stands on me, or just walks off.

How do these Asian/Middle Eastern/Eastern European shops get that lovely smell that they all have? It's not a spice I can recognise though. Maybe it's just a particular combination of spices, but all the shops have the same aroma. The Polish shop here has it and they don't even sell spices.

Do they have a can of 'Eastern Spices' air freshener that they spray about just to make it more exotic I wonder...

Back