• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

How do these Asian/Middle Eastern/Eastern European shops get that lovely smell that they all have? It's not a spice I can recognise though. Maybe it's just a particular combination of spices, but all the shops have the same aroma. The Polish shop here has it and they don't even sell spices.

Do they have a can of 'Eastern Spices' air freshener that they spray about just to make it more exotic I wonder...
A new Polish deli opened up a few blocks from here, the smell when you walk in is just overwhelming, they cook hot foods that are just out of this world.
Yesterday we had their fried cod, outrageous!

A new Polish deli opened up a few blocks from here, the smell when you walk in is just overwhelming, they cook hot foods that are just out of this world.
Yesterday we had their fried cod, outrageous!
I was just this minute thinking Ronnie (concerning the Polish shop here) it could be the meats they sell that are maybe ready spiced? I don't think they actually cook anything there though.

I've written before about since my husband died I sometimes see orange butterflies where I wouldn't expect them to be.
Today the family were gathered at my youngest's place for lunch.
It's into Autumn and getting cool now so not butterfly season but I happened to look out of the large lounge window and a lovely orange butterfly landed briefly on the window and flew away before I could tell the others.

I've written before about since my husband died I sometimes see orange butterflies where I wouldn't expect them to be.
Today the family were gathered at my youngest's place for lunch.
It's into Autumn and getting cool now so not butterfly season but I happened to look out of the large lounge window and a lovely orange butterfly landed briefly on the window and flew away before I could tell the others.
We have threads on Signs From Beyond and suchlike. :)
Butterflies feature heavily on it.

I was once told that a lot of how we recognise people from a reasonable distance is to do with how they walk. He was firmly convinced that if you changed your gait in some way people were far less likely to recognise you.

Dunno. Anyone else heard that, or even tried it?

Within my family, I was always able to tell who was coming upstairs by the sound of their footsteps, and I imagine that's not unusual. As you say, the appearance of people's gait is often quite distinctive too.

A couple of points related to recognising folk you don't know, and/or not recognising those that you do:

Many years back, as a student, I had a holiday job in a pub (so far, so mundane, I know!). One week, a new lad started working behind the bar, and I had to keep telling myself that he wasn't my brother. I'm not, even now, sure how alike this guy and my brother would be if you had put them side by side, but somehow, there was some essence about him and the resemblance that I found more than a little disturbing.

At the other end of the scale, our neighbour (a little older than me, but not much) has been seeing her new chap for a year or so, and he seems very nice. In fact, my other half and I have been out for dinner with them both, and had an enjoyable evening. We always ask the neighbour "how's X?" and so on. However, I know that if our neighbour popped round right now with a generic middle-aged chap in tow, that I wouldn't have a clue if it were "X" or not. I could describe his car pretty well, mind you...

Within my family, I was always able to tell who was coming upstairs by the sound of their footsteps, and I imagine that's not unusual. As you say, the appearance of people's gait is often quite distinctive too.

A couple of points related to recognising folk you don't know, and/or not recognising those that you do:

Many years back, as a student, I had a holiday job in a pub (so far, so mundane, I know!). One week, a new lad started working behind the bar, and I had to keep telling myself that he wasn't my brother. I'm not, even now, sure how alike this guy and my brother would be if you had put them side by side, but somehow, there was some essence about him and the resemblance that I found more than a little disturbing.
I wonder if it's a case of just one feature (for eg) being enough for you 'see' the other person? Maybe the teeth or ears or mannerism(s).
When I see Sergio Pérez (F1 Driver), I instantly think of Tom Cruise, but I couldn't really say why. They're both quite short in stature, but so are lots of other people.

When I see Sergio Pérez (F1 Driver), I instantly think of Tom Cruise,
1681148769145.png

I was out detectoring metal at the weekend and spied a size 12 right-hand welly boot upright in a furrow. Maybe not a strange sight in a 40 acre muddy field at a Rally, but it looked like the top had been shredded by a cutting implement. 10 mins and 30 metres later I had a strange signal and dug up a size 12 left-hand welly - actually a safety boot with a steel toe-cap (hence the signal). Managed to spot and retrieve the original boot and paired them next to a Telegraph pole. But not a pair as one didn't have a toe-cap. So ... presumably there's another mismatched pair out there.

View attachment 65072 View attachment 65074
Through out most of last year there was a solitary Croc shoe in the field by the creepy copse. Its position varied each time we saw it ( there's a public footparh across the field) it just kept turning up. Bloody ugly thing or ghostly one legged stalker?

Through out most of last year there was a solitary Croc shoe in the field by the creepy copse. Its position varied each time we saw it ( there's a public footparh across the field) it just kept turning up. Bloody ugly thing or ghostly one legged stalker?
Ha! Probably others have come across it, looked at it, then tossed it somewhere else?

I cycled home just after ten tonight on the cycle path between Lancaster and Morecambe. An animal tried to cross the path but scuttled back as I rode past.

It looked to me like an offer but I'm no animal expert. There is no river or stream nearby so I'm a little stumped as to what I saw.

It looked a good size and appeared to have a paddle at the back.

I only saw it in passing mind.

I cycled home just after ten tonight on the cycle path between Lancaster and Morecambe. An animal tried to cross the path but scuttled back as I rode past.

It looked to me like an offer but I'm no animal expert. There is no river or stream nearby so I'm a little stumped as to what I saw.

It looked a good size and appeared to have a paddle at the back.

I only saw it in passing mind.
An offer that you couldn't refuse?

On Tuesday a few of us were discussing the film Paint Your Wagon and the song Wandering Star sung by Lee Marvin. Haven't heard this song for many a moon but tonight it came on in the pub while I was playing pool! The song is 50 years old and I cant remember the last time I heard it let alone discussed it. Odd....

That's what I was thinking too 'Erinaceus.' There seems no record of any Beavers being introduced into the Lancaster/Morecombe areas that I could find online. (officially!)
There's quite a lot of difference between otters and beavers though. I'd think, if you saw a beaver you'd more likely be going 'what the bloody hell was THAT?!?' They are quite big. Mink are smaller than otters but they move in a similar way.

My daughter and I had a 'what the hell?' moment driving down one of our back lanes, when an otter shot across the road in front of us. Turns out there's a fishfarm not too far away and they run down the ditches and dykes to get there and steal the fish.

It appeared to be bloody big to me, bigger than I would expect an otter to be. But I think my mind dismissed it as being absurd.

Although I only saw it as I rode past and it scuttled off I thought that it had a paddle. But we know that recollections can be wrong.

This doesn't really fit the dreams thread so I'll put it here.
I didn't sleep very well last night. The first time I woke the clock showed about half past three. I went back to sleep and next time I woke it showed about quarter past one! The next time I woke it was showing about half past three again. Did I only dream that I woke the first time, had I slipped forward a few hours or am I going doolally at last?

It appeared to be bloody big to me, bigger than I would expect an otter to be. But I think my mind dismissed it as being absurd.

Although I only saw it as I rode past and it scuttled off I thought that it had a paddle. But we know that recollections can be wrong.
Otters don't have a paddle, they have a tail, and they are bigger than you'd expect if you've never seen one in the wild, but they only weigh up to about 12 kilos (which is quite heavy for the size, they are solid beasts). Whereas a beaver, which does have a paddle, will weigh up to 50 kilos, and be the size of a medium sized dog. And, I would think, with the solid body and rounded head, it would more likely be mistaken for a dog.

We went walking the dog along the river by Kirkstall Abbey this morning. The river path ends abruptly at a very insistent fence, and the only thing you can do is turn around and walk back towards the abbey. I looked across the river at the railway just the other side and, for no apparent reason, the thought popped into my mind that it would make an excellent vantage point to watch a steam train pass by.

Anyway, we dutifully obeyed the fence's command, and headed back down to the abbey. Sure enough, about five minutes later, a steam loco hauling a single carriage came slowly past.

We went walking the dog along the river by Kirkstall Abbey this morning. The river path ends abruptly at a very insistent fence, and the only thing you can do is turn around and walk back towards the abbey. I looked across the river at the railway just the other side and, for no apparent reason, the thought popped into my mind that it would make an excellent vantage point to watch a steam train pass by.

Anyway, we dutifully obeyed the fence's command, and headed back down to the abbey. Sure enough, about five minutes later, a steam loco hauling a single carriage came slowly past.
As far as I am aware there are no heritage railways in this area, so that steam train would have been on the nearby main railway and therefore not unknown but not exactly a common sight either. It may have been there in connection with a rail tour, can you describe the locomotive?

So I had a curious experience earlier this week. Someone at work but in a different department to me has been showing, shall we say, 'romantic interest' and has piqued my curiosity. Because of schedules and the fact it is a large site with hundreds of people, I only ever see Person X at pretty much the same time on certain days (=/- 10 minutes or so). This week I was walking down a long corridor and although it wasn't a time I would expect to see Person X, I had a strong feeling they were close by. A definite sense of 'knowing' in fact. A moment later person X rounded the end of the corridor ahead of me and was walking towards me (our eyes met etc. :itslove:haha!). So weird that feeling of just 'knowing'...

Back