• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

disgruntledgoth said:
It was about 4am this morning, I was walking up the stairs, and got hit in the back of the head by a £2 coin :/

Look on the bright side, you're now two pounds richer.

disgruntledgoth said:
It was about 4am this morning, I was walking up the stairs, and got hit in the back of the head by a £2 coin :/
Did it land heads up?

Ronson8 said:
Did it land heads up?

I didn't look, I was to busy swearing to myself out of surprise to check :lol:

rynner2 said:
rynner makes note to self: get two headcams, wear one looking backwards...

That dude, is an excellent idea lol

Where did the coin come from? Thin air?
Is it an apport?

7/9/11... you can count on the calendar to produce a good day to feel odd
By Tamara Cohen
Last updated at 4:25 AM on 7th September 2011

If today feels odd, you might want to take a look at the date.
There may not seem to be anything remarkable about 7/9/11, but it is one of just five dates this century featuring three consecutive odd numbers.
The mathematical rarity occurs just five times every 100 years, and today is the penultimate one of the 21st century.
The next day will be 9/11/13 so try to make the most of that because it will be the last one for 92 years,

An American enthusiast has called on people to celebrate Odd Day by entering a competition to win the date - $791.10 [£491.19] - in cash.
Retired high school teacher Ron Gordon of Redwood City in California will be celebrating the day for 24 hours and is offering the prize on his website.

This is particularly well, odd, as it is not actually the date in America, where it is traditional to flip the day and month around and it is in fact 9/7/11,
But the prize will go to ‘the most people in the Oddest Parade of Odd Characters, write the best Odd Ode, or create the best Odd Celebrations’, he says.

Mr Gordon’s daughter Rachel has also set up a Facebook page dedicated to the festivities calling on ‘odd friends and number buffs’ to join her, which last night had more than 200 confirmed guests.
While celebrating an ‘odd day’ according to the American calendar on July 9th this year, Mr Gordon told the Wall Street Journal: ‘These dates are just cute, funky things that you stumble over. I feel compelled to say: ‘Look what’s coming’.’
One can only imagine what Mr Gordon has planned for the next Odd Day in two years time. It will sadly be his last - and most of ours - as the next one will not be until 1/3/05 - in the year 2105.

Mathematicians were not so convinced of its importance however. Professor George Bergman, of the University of California Berkeley said: ‘I had not heard of this before but it is just basic mathematics that there will be five per century.
‘It is silly, but it’s probably just an excuse for people to socialize together.
‘Actually in countries such as China and Japan people are much more interested in lucky and unlucky numbers and their significance than we are in the West.’
His own undergraduate students like to celebrate Pi day which occurs March, 14 at 1.59pm. That is, of course, because Pi is 3.14159...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1XFxkWfqf

The article fails to mention that if you write dates as we do in the states - MM/DD/YY - you get six "odd" dates per century. What further proof is needed? This is clearly the right way.

The most logical way of writing dates is YY/MM/DD - which brings the consecutive odd dates back to just 5! 8)

IamSundog said:
The article fails to mention that if you write dates as we do in the states - MM/DD/YY - you get six "odd" dates per century. What further proof is needed? This is clearly the right way.
No, it's very odd. :)

disgruntledgoth said:

Who lives in your dwelling besides you?
Did the coin fall from above or come at you horizontally? (Or even come up from below--quite unlikely, of course.)

Another (very) small odd thing happened to someone I know.

My godson's (not the same one who 'saw' the church) gf has a cork pin board in her bedroom where she keeps the usual stuff, pictures, reminders etc. Well, the other day she suddenly noticed that all the items pinned to the lower portion of the board had been moved around. Not only that they looked crinkled and water-damaged and odd.

Gf doesn't live with my godson. She has her own room in her mother's home. Her mother denied having moved the things, so did her stepdad. She's a meticulous kind of girl who keeps scrap books and likes everything pristine, and it's unlikely she'd do it herself and not notice - especially as it would seem to involve getting the stuff wet somehow.

Mad and Meaningless :D

Just got back from Crete this morning. One day, on a 'trip' we had a couple of hours at a typical beach resort called Georgiopolis, which is to the west of Rethymion.

Sitting in a restaurant by the beach, we were having a drink and generally chilling out and looking out to sea. To the north west from my point of view and some distance away (very difficult to judge, maybe between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile) I saw a long thin black line in the water. It appeared to be rigid, was moving in a straight line and to my left. It moved far too fast to be a boat and there was no jetski nearby. I have no idea what I may have seen and am looking for a normal explanation. It was black but because it appeared to be moving very fast and in a straight line I disregarded a wave of some sort.

This happened in about may/june 2009.
It was late evening, about 8 or 9, i think, and I was on my way from doncaster to my friends' house in Sheffield. The train I got on was only 2 carraiges, and I was the only passenger in either of them. When the cinductor came for my ticket, he just opened the door at the other end of the carraige, shouted "have you got a ticket?" and quickly left, before i could even get the ticket out of my pocket to show him. The whole journey had a strange atmosphere, and I was sure I could see people in the seats out of the corner of my eye who weren't there when i looked directly at them. But obviously those two things aren't any kind of evidence, and could probably be explained away by the light cast by the setting sun.
The conducter's behaiviour still strikes me as quite odd, though.

Maybe he was in a hurry or couldn't be arsed dealing with a solitary passenger? Or both?

papillon said:
those are both very likely explanations!

I can't explain the corner of your eye business, though! Unless you were spooked travelling alone on a night train and your imagination got the better of you?

rynner2 said:
The most logical way of writing dates is YY/MM/DD - which brings the consecutive odd dates back to just 5! 8)

Actually, the _only_ logical way is YYYY/MM/DD, since the dates are then most significant to least significant digit like any sensible number should be. But it's OK to assume the century - as long as you aren't a computer.

DD/MM/YY(YY) has some merit as the day is often the most immediatly interesting part of the date.

MM/DD/YY is just wierd :evil: :)

gncxx said:
papillon said:
those are both very likely explanations!

I can't explain the corner of your eye business, though! Unless you were spooked travelling alone on a night train and your imagination got the better of you?

I've had a similar weird experience on a night train from Blackpool back to Preston, a noisy old DMU thing. I suspect the vibrations have a lot to do with it, plus the train was very warm. There didn't seem to be many people on the train when we got on - I was travelling with a colleague - and yet the train seemed to be full as well. (I haven't put that very well - it just felt like the train was full and packed when in fact there were a lot of empty seats).

MM/DD/YY is just wierd
Hey! It may be wierd [sic] but It's the American Way!

Actually I agree that YYYY/MM/DD is the only logical format and it's what I actually use because it allows dates to be sorted in chronological order. Which I find useful, on occasion.

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

WARNING MAY CONTAIN ANTI-CLIMAX. Funny thing in a 'That's Life' sort of way happened last night. Went to get ready to go down the pub, as soon as I walked into the bathroom (ground floor) and put the light on a voice came from just outside the window saying "Hello,ello ello,ello..." very clearly and very distinctly.

I thought someone had got into the garden, and that they were either ill or trying to give someone a scare, there are a lot of older people where I live. I ran into another room to get some shoes and chase/help whoever it was and could still hear the same words being repeated over and over.

Any way on getting round the back I found two big Tomcats squaring off, one ginger and one tabby. The tabby was making the noise I couldn't believe how clear and human it sounded.

The local police don't have a cat by any chance, do they? Just asking. :)

Today I saw a man who seemed to bark at me like a dog!

But when the barking continued, I realised it was a dog making the noise, and the man had coincidentally opened his mouth, for a yawn, perhaps, just as the dog started up!

Reminds me of the time when I was driving a carful of kids and sneezed, just as a huge bird-poo hit the windscreen. Lovely.

escargot1 said:
Reminds me of the time when I was driving a carful of kids and sneezed, just as a huge bird-poo hit the windscreen. Lovely.

I bet the kids were awestruck ;)

Back