• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I suspect socks lurk in trouser legs and shirt sleeves in the washing machine, it's my only theory so far on why after bringing in the washing there is invariably a single sock lying on the lawn.
I'm still baffled by the one trouser leg turning itself inside out, but work is proceeding.

Those sock-bags* for the washing machine work well. You stick socks and little things like sweatbands in them and they get washed and tumble-dried in them and don't come out again until you're ready to stock the sock drawer.

They work for summer too as you can clip the socks on your outdoor drier* in pairs. Count them all out, count them all back in again. Foolproof as long as everyone co-operates and uses them. Techy rebels now and then and pays the price in odd socks.

*From the £ Shop. Not even expensive.

That all sounds terribly well organised.
Given nobody sees socks I just grab 2 of whatever. Or 3 if the right heel is playing up, I'm at that age.
My pegs are the clips you get in packs of araldite, oddly again from yon poundshop, last for ages and holds stuff securely.

That's actually a very good idea. I'll do that from now on.
I keep hoping to find some of those socks with a sole to help ease the pain, but I've only ever seen the huggies types which are for career women to put on with their jammys and snuggle on the sofa with a cup of hot chocolate after a hard day at work. At least according to the ads.
Then again, despite the expensive thermal gear available, for fishing in winter you can't beat a pair of tights under the trews.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

That all sounds terribly well organised.
Given nobody sees socks I just grab 2 of whatever. Or 3 if the right heel is playing up, I'm at that age.
My pegs are the clips you get in packs of araldite, oddly again from yon poundshop, last for ages and holds stuff securely.
I live alone, I am the only one using the washer, and I still lose socks. Many nixies in the house must be happily bedded down. I began just grabbing two whatever the color as soon as I retired.

I've just narrowly missed being run over, totally, by a silent-but-deadly Council electric van. The slight swishing noise it makes, in travel, is countered entirely by even a light wind.

I thought electric vehicles were meant to generates some (even artificial) noise, for this specific safety point?

Of course...he could have been a homicidally-inclined eco-warrior, who'd turned-off his safety soundscape, and was intent on casually- killing pedestrians.

My cause of death could've read "death was as a direct result of excessive investment in superficially-effective policies for pollution control".....

Maybe these low carbon footprint types are all out to get me (I do like an after-lunch illogical conflation, it does make the afternoon zip past so quickly...much like a four-wheeled electric deathtrap does)

Personally I find electric vehicles spooky. I think I've developed sudden onset deafness when I see one and don't even get me started on driverless electric cars that are now being introduced.

There's a couple of electric cars round here, they make enough of a scrunch on the tarmac to alert a sleepy cat - but I worry about when they get a bit older and go a bit deaf.

Sods law, it bloody rained last night so I doubt those marks are there anymore :( .. I'll have a look anyway (and yes, she's says you're dead meat next time she sees you ... just give her something to eat and you'll be fine).

Alrighty, then - I'll try to stay out of the way of your missus (it's only 4,978 miles, after all! :p)

Alrighty, then - I'll try to stay out of the way of your missus (it's only 4,978 miles, after all! :p)
Distance won't stop her .. you'd better send her a cheese sandwich but not a Subway sandwich .. she hates Subway sandwiches. I'm just trying to help you out here.

Personally I find electric vehicles spooky. I think I've developed sudden onset deafness when I see one and don't even get me started on driverless electric cars that are now being introduced.

As a cyclist nothing is more terrifying than human drivers.

Unless of course they introduce software to make driverless cars more human and predictable.

The "pissed", "texting" or "psycho anti-cyclist" software updates could be introduced to make robot cars more human.

Where's Dave Prowse when you need him?
I speculate the electric cars favourite prey will be those who are walking along engrossed in their phones or listening to music.
Shame.
I liked the fact kids were being encouraged in road safety campaigns by Darth Vader, Alvin Stardust also showed a touching concern about pedestrians iirc.
The Clunk Click campaign involved Jimmy Saville however, disturbing on many levels.

I got a phone upgrade today and remembered a phone I had back in the early-mid 2000s.

It was tiny, really tiny with buttons that were like little lines and I seem to recall it having a color screen. I've tried googling it for old times sake but can't find any photos or reference to it anywhere. I've even been on mobile 'nerd' websites looking for it.

I'm beginning to think I imagined it, only I have such a clear recollection of clicking the buttons and marveling at how small it was.

Not a major issue, I know. It's just really bugging me - have I imagined it?!

Not a major issue, I know. It's just really bugging me - have I imagined it?!
I don't think so, there were loads of really small phones back then. I think colour screens started to become popular around 2003-ish.
No idea what make it was?
114413.jpg

As a cyclist nothing is more terrifying than human drivers.

Unless of course they introduce software to make driverless cars more human and predictable.

The "pissed", "texting" or "psycho anti-cyclist" software updates could be introduced to make robot cars more human.
As a human driver nothing is more terrifying than a cyclist.

I had one of these weird little Sony phones back in 2001, with the most fragile flip-down mic thing:

sonycmz200.jpg

Available from any open air market on a Saturday. Usually run by those lovely, helpful British descendants of Asian immigrants. Give them a try.
Even if it's only in a jokey manner you might be surprised at how helpful they try to be.
Product nostalgia is interesting, it's rife in my hobby fishing.
Occasionally I will find something from the 70's or 80's at a boot sale for a few quid.
Why, oh why did I get rid of mine? Oh yeah, because it was crap.

I don't think so, there were loads of really small phones back then. I think colour screens started to become popular around 2003-ish.
No idea what make it was?
View attachment 4514

I thought it was a Philips or Panasonic. It was a 'girlie' phone, maybe it had flowers on or some pattern. I don't recall it having an aerial.

EDIT: it's a Panasonic G50! Panic over :glee:

Last edited:
Just musing on the odd experiences that I had in town over the years. I described them somewhere on here but can't remember which thread.

It has just dawned upon me that all three were geographical within five feet of the same spot.

Odd.

INT21

The other night, one of them anyway, I went out the back for a ciggie. Nothing remarkable until I became aware of a pair of handprints on the garden table, nicely moonlit as I'd been smoking a rollie and they don't burn too fast so the moon had snuck 'round the chimney. The prints were small, so 'child-sized', but there were no small folk of any kind to be held accountable; and in the shitty light they were definitely made of caked blood.
Slowly, I was able to deduce that this may be an illusion, I had put my gardening gloves there earlier to dry in the sun. Another example of my Mrs not being able to leave a damn thing where I put it.
I still got the creeps and hurried inside, after my fag.

I've recently realized something similar to INT21, about a spot in the town where I used to live. I've been meaning to collect these tidbits into one post, but fatigue keeps getting in the way.

Back