• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Terrible joke time, Spidermans nemesis? Bathman.
I've put out a toilet tissue ladder, an hour later the damn thing is still trying to climb up the same spot it has been trying to climb up and failing, a hundred times before.

Spiders are idiots.

Tom Holland, who is Spider-Man and therefore knows, says he doesn't like spiders because they're sneaky. So this one may have been lulling you into a false sense of security.

They do get stuck in the bath, if there is water in it, but they still dont need a ladder on account of them being dead :(

In a Tesco supermarket car-park, I noticed an annoyingly-pink lady having an impressive argument with someone grey and smaller.

Just behind them, pink lady's trolley started to move, slowly, perhaps with the wind. It began speeding-up, along a drain route, getting surprisingly fast....

I watched with fatalistic amazement as the trolley (now at a ridiculous speed) missed about six other cars, and whacked into the side of a Range Rover Sport.

It was a surprisingly-loud impact. If this kind of thing could be organised on a regular basis, I'd pay for tickets....

Last night I was sat at the computer, enjoying my nightly ration of booze, when I nodded off. Not for the first time, I must admit. But usually when this happens I wake up well past midnight, and then take myself off to bed.

But last night I opened my eyes to find it was only 1030 pm! But I still went straight to bed - I'd had a tiring day, and the current heat wave is very enervating.

A twist in the tale, though - checking the fridge this morning, I found I hadn't finished my nightly booze ration!
(Another sign of growing old... :()

Last edited:
Last night I was sat at the computer, enjoying my nightly ration of booze, when I nodded off. Not for the first time, I must admit. But usually when this happens I wake up well past midnight, and then take myself off to bed.

But last night I opened my eyes to find it was only 1030 pm! But I still went straight to bed - I'd had a tiring day, and the current heat wave is very enervating.

A twist is the tale, though - checking the fridge this morning, I found I hadn't finished my nightly booze ration!
(Another sign of growing old... :()
Just a sign that you were abducted by aliens last night, Rynner.

I can't drink. The meds I am on don't mix at all well with booze. In fact I am barred from a pub in Walsall after throwing up over most of it.
I did spend a while the other day after waking up trying to work out if it was morning or late afternoon. It was morning.
I can do the mind alarm thing, but this weather knocks me out like a powered down robot. It can get disorienting.
Siestas, siestas for all I say.

I hear ya.

My night has been infused with a certain un-normalcy. Made my way to the trees, as I'm wont to do thrice-weekly. This time there were beams on the cloud cover, not car lights on roads, but swishy beams as of someone with a halogen spotlight just waving it about on the cloudscape from below.

I responded in kind, having a halogen spotlight plugged in to a power pack on the back seat of my wheels. I even invited, mentally, the signallers to visit my space, but nothing happened. So I went home.

I've posted before how the little ravens always come when something is going to happen.
Last week they returned, leaving gifts of food on the front porch, first a muesli bar, then chop bones.
Saturday they were making a noise so texted my daughter to find she'd gone into hospital as her water had broken.
A group of them calling yesterday and I woke to a message saying she'd had a c section.
Today they have gone away again.

There have been more tarantula-related shenanigans since I last posted about it June 9.

First, one crept up while I was hanging out the washing and nearly scared the life out of me. Second, during a walk, we saw a tarantula hawk (which is a wasp, BTW) dragging its prey down the road. Lastly, while walking down the front steps the other night, yet another one scuttled into the shadows near the bottom step. The cat complained at me loudly, as if to say "do something about this!" so needless to say she was no help at all.

I ran to get the broom to hopefully encourage it to go the other direction, but could only find the mop. This is not so good for tarantula herding, but I decided to give it a try. However, the spider had disappeared by then and I could only lock the door and hope it didn't have any ideas about getting inside.

As you can probably imagine, I've been very jumpy lately. Dunno what's up with there being so many this season.

Here's a link about the tarantula hawk, if anyone's interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

From that linked page:
"Tarantula hawk wasps are relatively docile and rarely sting without provocation. However, the sting—particularly that of P. grossa—is among the most painful of all insects, though the intense pain only lasts about five minutes.[7] One researcher described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating, unrelenting pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."

When they say it only lasts five minutes . . . :eek:

More minor strangeness in the sewing room. I am not sure whether I told you guys the story of the sewing machine and table I bought, which turned out to be from a lady who died, and the disappearing and reappearing key?
ANYWAY, yesterday, I was in the sewing room for a major sesh. A couple of years ago, I was given a wooden tool which included a seam ripper and a stiletto, with each of these having a wooden cover to avoid injury, but which also served its own purpose. I lost one of these wooden covers about two years ago, and did not find it despite many sewing room tidy ups ( I tidy up after each project ). Anyway, whilst sewing yesterday, I felt something wooden next to the sewing machine pedal ( sewing barefoot as too hot ), and it was the lost wooden bit. Now where it was, would be pretty obvious during any search, so I am not sure how it got there!

Watch mysterious Par River in St Austell caught on camera bubbling
By Shannon_Hards | Posted: June 20, 2017
Video: 45 s.

St Austell residents have been left dumbfounded after a video of Par River bubbling away like a Jacuzzi was shared on Facebook.
Keen photographer, James Pearce, said he had been out exploring when he came across 12 points of the river that were constantly bubbling.

Curious locals tried to guess what was causing the bubble effect.
Some suggested it could be something to do with china clay sediment or gas escaping from a nearby dump.
While others thought it might be air escaping from chambers under the surface of the bank as they slowly fill with water from the rising tide.

Writing on Facebook, James said: "The plants surrounding it were a little bare in places but still alive and kicking as it were.
"I was just curious as it was so prominent and vigorous with its bubbling. I just couldn't figure out what would have caused enough of a pressure build up to cause that sort of release! I'm genuinely fascinated."

The Environment Agency has been approached for a comment.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/watch-m...era-bubbling/story-30398360-detail/story.html

I lost one of these wooden covers about two years ago ...whilst sewing yesterday, I felt something wooden next to the sewing machine pedal ( sewing barefoot as too hot ), and it was the lost wooden bit. Now where it was, would be pretty obvious during any search, so I am not sure how it got there!
perhaps had somehow caught between the moving part of the pedal and the static part, jammed up in there, then came loose during pedal use in hot weather ?

There have been more tarantula-related shenanigans since I last posted about it June 9.

First, one crept up while I was hanging out the washing and nearly scared the life out of me. Second, during a walk, we saw a tarantula hawk (which is a wasp, BTW) dragging its prey down the road. Lastly, while walking down the front steps the other night, yet another one scuttled into the shadows near the bottom step. The cat complained at me loudly, as if to say "do something about this!" so needless to say she was no help at all.

I ran to get the broom to hopefully encourage it to go the other direction, but could only find the mop. This is not so good for tarantula herding, but I decided to give it a try. However, the spider had disappeared by then and I could only lock the door and hope it didn't have any ideas about getting inside.

As you can probably imagine, I've been very jumpy lately. Dunno what's up with there being so many this season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

Have you ever seen the old 70s drive-in favourite Kingdom of the Spiders? You seem to be living it. You need William Shatner to drive over them with his car.

You can always rely on Bill.
To seek out new life and new civilisations, and thump it in the face.
He'll sort out them spiders no problem.

Och noo, I'm gonna have 'Star trekking across the universe' as today's earworm now.

Ah yes spiders. Despite the fact that he was the most self controlled person I have ever known my dear old dad used to throw a total wobbler when a spider had the temerity to invade his space. Attitude not passed onto his grandson who loved his pet tarantula. In my old house I had to train a particularly large and obstinate specimen to use the toilet paper ladder to get out of the bath. How it continued to appear in there I've no idea. It was either particularly dim or simply having a laugh.

Back