• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Dad found the corkscrew in pieces in the drawer with the fixing screws missing.
It never had any....it had either these
2018-02-25 21.01.57.png
ie truss-head hollow rivets, or tubular double-swaged rivets. To result in.....
2018-02-25 21.00.58.png

If it was somehow mishandled, these soft-metal rivets can become deformed, and either sheer or compress. For example, a hard fall, in line with the corkscrew spiral, say three feet onto a quarry tile, could snap the rivets.

Tubular swaged rivets are often nickel or chromium plated, and can corrode. Do you have an electric dishwasher? Would your family's custom be to put the corkscrew in with cutlery into a dishwasher?

EDIT or they may have been abducted by aliens

It never had any....it had either theseView attachment 8615 ie truss-head hollow rivets, or tubular double-swaged rivets. To result in.....View attachment 8616

If it was somehow mishandled, these soft-metal rivets can become deformed, and either sheer or compress. For example, a hard fall, in line with the corkscrew spiral, say three feet onto a quarry tile, could snap the rivets.

Tubular swaged rivets are often nickel or chromium plated, and can corrode. Do you have an electric dishwasher? Would your family's custom be to put the corkscrew in with cutlery into a dishwasher?
Nope no dishwasher here (other than Dad) and they were just in the cutlery drawer minding their own business. He found one rivet but couldn’t see why it had come out.

...the cutlery drawer
Columbo-TV-series-pic.jpg

Perhaps they fell victim to a jammed-in-the-drawer-whilst-being-closed experience....

EDIT
Maybe the cold weather did for it. We don’t have central heating either.
Ah, hence the wine, to numb the cold? I jest, ditto-snap, we also have none of this newfangled central heating of which they speak.

Other than burning volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica (we're past 'M' already, this winter, so The Complete Works of Dickens might need to get warmed-up) or the occasional heretic, we're just electric heaters and icicles.

Last edited:
The pictures by uair01 reminded me of something,

Quite a few years ago the Keighley Technical College in Cavendish Street closed. It's still empty and no one looks in a hurry to buy it.
Anyway, on the top corner of the college was an stone owl. About a year ago I was passing the college and and a woman was looking up at the roof. 'I see the owl has gone' I remarked to her. She agreed it was another sign of the times.

But the owl if back. Not in quite the same place, but on the roof looking down.

I wonder why this happened.

INT21

I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that I had had three strange things happen when passing through town.

The first was that I was walking along and suddenly I felt a tremendous 'bang'. It was just as if someone had walked straight through me. But no one was close.

The second and third were when I very clearly heard some one call (or rather say) my name. But on both occasions there was no one close.

It only dawned on me a month or two back that on all three occasions I was within 5 feet of the same spot.

Odd.

INT21

She did appear to have two largish objects sticking out under her cardi, but I don't think they were owls. More a different kind of bird.

Parus major more than likely.

INT21

Columbo-TV-series-pic.jpg

Perhaps they fell victim to a jammed-in-the-drawer-whilst-being-closed experience....

EDIT
Ah, hence the wine, to numb the cold? I jest, ditto-snap, we also have none of this newfangled central heating of which they speak.

Other than burning volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica (we're past 'M' already, this winter, so The Complete Works of Dickens might need to get warmed-up) or the occasional heretic, we're just electric heaters and icicles.

Dad would have made sure the corkscrew was safe (he’s the one that drinks the most wine, we are high days and holidays).

We just hope the electric holds out or we’re stuffed.

Another odd thing. Yesterday the front door decided to deadbolt itself while we were inside. I had to climb out of the window to unlock it.

It seems the gremlins don’t want us to leave the house or drink wine while we are in here.

Yesterday the front door decided to deadbolt itself while we were inside. I had to climb out of the window to unlock it.

This confuses me. Whether a seperate basic bolt, or a dead-lock latching bolt, these are operated from inside, not outside. Why did you have to release the lock outside? Are you in a jail?

Something inside the lock might have slipped.
One of my daughters once was locked in her bedroom and had to climb out of the window. I think we had to get a new mechanism.

This confuses me. Whether a seperate basic bolt, or a dead-lock latching bolt, these are operated from inside, not outside. Why did you have to release the lock outside? Are you in a jail?

It felt like it. It’s a Yale lock, you deadlock it when leaving the house. Even though all of us were inside it had deadlocked itself we don’t know how because you have to turn the key completely around in the lock to do it. So the only way to get the door to open was to go out the window and open it as you would when returning home. It’s very odd but I think it happened once before some years ago, I wasn’t home and Dad had the honour of the window.

Had a gathering at my flat the other night. One guy was really drunk, just like super drunk. The rest of us were playing a game while he was drawing doodles on the piece of paper we were using for scoring. His girlfriend took him home but they returned because he had forgotten his wallet, during which time he managed to crash into and break a teapot I'd brought back from the UK (brown betty style, not so easy to come by in Asia, though there's no shortage of teapots obviously). When I looked at his drawings the next morning, one was a picture of the teapot, labelled 'Kind of trouble...'

It felt like it. It’s a Yale lock, you deadlock it when leaving the house. Even though all of us were inside it had deadlocked itself we don’t know how because you have to turn the key completely around in the lock to do it. So the only way to get the door to open was to go out the window and open it as you would when returning home. It’s very odd but I think it happened once before some years ago, I wasn’t home and Dad had the honour of the window.

I'd make the chief suspect the weather, it may be playing havoc with the metal. No central heating?! I hope you have a decent duvet to wrap yourself in.

Had a gathering at my flat the other night. One guy was really drunk, just like super drunk. The rest of us were playing a game while he was drawing doodles on the piece of paper we were using for scoring. His girlfriend took him home but they returned because he had forgotten his wallet, during which time he managed to crash into and break a teapot I'd brought back from the UK (brown betty style, not so easy to come by in Asia, though there's no shortage of teapots obviously). When I looked at his drawings the next morning, one was a picture of the teapot, labelled 'Kind of trouble...'

That's what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Someone else with a key, having a laugh maybe?
Change the lock.

Came home from shopping yesterday, had lunch and was sitting down reading a magazine when I heard 2 distinct knocks on the window behind me.
I thought it was the chap coming back to cut some more of the trees in the backyard but there was no one anywhere around when I went to the door and hadn't seen anyone through the windows either.
It wasn't a bush it was a definite knuckles on the window sound.
I thought maybe it was my friend thinking of me as she hadn't been feeling well but when I went around to see her she was feeling better.

Came home from shopping yesterday, had lunch and was sitting down reading a magazine when I heard 2 distinct knocks on the window behind me.
I thought it was the chap coming back to cut some more of the trees in the backyard but there was no one anywhere around when I went to the door and hadn't seen anyone through the windows either.
It wasn't a bush it was a definite knuckles on the window sound.
I thought maybe it was my friend thinking of me as she hadn't been feeling well but when I went around to see her she was feeling better.
Bird? They can be very aggressive to windows.

I do have birds around although there were none that I saw yesterday. I also have small squared windows with net curtains behind and strings of solar lights taped on them and a sign saying to beware of the fierce dog ( although I don't have one, it's to discourage home invaders) so not much hope of being mirrored in them.
This afternoon my cousin called in to say his wife is in hospital and may have to have another stent put in so don't know if that's connected.

we're just electric heaters and icicles.

I've got one open fire. I am fair nithered. Even my icicles have icicles.

we had a bit of a weird one a couple of nights back. me and the wife were sat in the living room with the door pushed to (not shut completely/latched) when we both heard the sound of a cat trying to push the door open to come in. we both instinctly said "come on paddy" (as its usually him who does this) but no cat appeared. the noise continued for a couple more seconds or so then stopped.
i got up, opened the door to reveal no cat. look around the kitchen - no cat. go upstairs and all the cats (4 of them) are fast asleep on either our bed or the spare bed.
This has never happened either before or since. the noise was very distinct and both myself and the wife agreed that we both heard exactly the same thing.

Bird? They can be very aggressive to windows.

I used to live on the Isle of Skye, and somewhere l have a video of a seagull rapping noisily and repeatedly on one of our windows with its beak. lt wasn’t deterred by the sight of me mere feet away inside the house, filming it.

By coincidence l also have a video of a robin attacking its reflection in the window of our garden gazebo.

maximus otter

This has happened to me twice with Yale locks. I show properties for my job and I've been locked inside two different houses! Both of these houses had an incredibly unpleasant atmosphere and the locking-in felt almost malevolent but the rational part of my brain says they were empty and neglected properties with faulty locks. It's an odd sensation though, that's for sure!

Just back from a Probus tour of Northern Tasmania. Just off the plane, we went to Woolmer's estate and rose garden.
My daughter and I had visited once before but went in via a different driveway which was closer to the historic house where we were to have a guide.
This time, a different driveway much further away, so we had to walk further.
The guide was youngish, whereas some members are in their 80's and 90's so she bounded ahead exhorting us to hurry up. One youngish member and my daughter and I managed to keep up then we sat on a bench near the house to wait for the others to catch up.
As we sat, I felt someone rumple my shoulder but the ladies either side had their hands on their handbags and there was a stone wall behind.
On day 4 at Highfield house at Stanley I was looking at a wall of portraits of former owners., focussing on one of the wife of the original owner who had 17 children, when I smelt this really beautiful perfume.
There was only one of the men close, and I wondered if he was wearing aftershave so as he moved further on, I moved to look out the window and have a sniff. It wasn't him.
It was really nice perfume and if I ever come across it will definitely buy some.

Could put this under any number of categories, but I'll count it as a minor eyebrow raise for now.

I'm used to telling friends about my dreams with the implication they may be precog or, if it involves them, telepathic.

This morning one of those friends turned the tables and informed me by text that I'd appeared in HIS dream last night. "We were searching for a theatre in somewhere like Hamilton Square. I went off to put some clothes on a line"

I responded with a couple of jokey interpretations of the symbolism, pointing out that the combination of theatre and Hamilton suggested the stage show of that name.

Half an hour later I - not he - was looking at the BBC news home page and saw the motor racing headline "Hamilton on pole after spectacular lap". I drew attention to this, again jokingly. The word Hamilton and perhaps even the words "on pole" bring to mind a washing line.

A couple of hours later, just now, I - again not he - was reading an unrelated BBC news story about the anti-gun march in the US. It contained the tidbit "The singer Ariana Grande and Lin-Manuel Miranda, the man behind hit musical Hamilton, are set to perform".

If the dream had been mine I'd be reporting a bog standard example of dream precognition. But it wasn't my dream. The friend whose dream it was didn't encounter these written words and make the match, I did. Of course I told him about them so in that sense the experience of encountering references to the word Hamilton and particularly the theatre show were indeed in HIS future. His future experience of having me tell him about them. But I only did so because he had the dream....

Back