• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Sleepcheesing.

You heard it here first.:cool:
Seriously. I'm lactose intolerant. Any cheese eating I have to be very careful about - tiny amounts of cheese spread over days. These little cheese nuggets I normally cut into three and have one each day. So I'm very aware of my cheese consumption. Had I had a chessewalking episode consuming the entire fridge cheese contents I would have suffered with severe gastronomic episodes for several days.

Whatever happened to the cheese neither I nor rodents et it.

Seriously. I'm lactose intolerant. Any cheese eating I have to be very careful about - tiny amounts of cheese spread over days. These little cheese nuggets I normally cut into three and have one each day. So I'm very aware of my cheese consumption. Had I had a chessewalking episode consuming the entire fridge cheese contents I would have suffered with severe gastronomic episodes for several days.

Perhaps you had company and they love cheese!

This one is strange to me but, apparently Everybody Else in the World Already Knows About it.

It's: lightbulbs that don't switch off.

So I live in shared accommodation subsidised by the school I work for. My bedroom is lit by about five modern lightbulbs arranged into a kind of faux chandelier fashion. All has been well for the last four months from when I moved in there. Then, about a week or two ago, I noticed, in daylight, that the bulbs appeared to be glowing of their own accord, despite the light switch being in the Off position.. At first I thought they were just reflecting the rays of the sun - but on inspection cou;ld see that they were indeed glowing independently of any electrical input.

Since that time the lights in my room have never been properly off. At night they give off a flickering pale light which one could, at a pinch, read by. Luckily, I am not someone who needs absoluite darkness in order to be able to sleep and the light can look sort of pretty if you approach it in the right frame of mind - so it's no big deal.

And I've since asked around and discovered that lightbulbs-that-don't-go off are a Known Thing that everyone seems blase about.

Still though -`kinell! - call me old fashioned, but....

`You young folk aren't going to believe this, but I can remember when if you switched a light off it would stay completely off! Hard to believe, I know, but I swear to you, that's how it was back in the day`

This one is strange to me but, apparently Everybody Else in the World Already Knows About it.

So I live in shared accommodation subsidised by the school I work for. My bedroom is lit by about five modern lightbulbs arranged into a kind of faux chandelier fashion. All has been well for the last four months from when I moved in there. Then, about a week or two ago, I noticed, in daylight, that the bulbs appeared to be glowing of their own accord, despite the light switch being in the Off position.. At first I thought they were just reflecting the rays of the sun - but on inspection cou;ld see that they were indeed glowing independently of any electrical input.

Since that time the lights in my room have never been properly off. At night they give off a flickering pale light which one could, at a pinch, read by. Luckily, I am not someone who needs absoluite darkness in order to be able to sleep and the light can look sort of pretty if you approach it in the right frame of mind - so it's no big deal.

And I've since asked around and discovered that lightbulbs-that-don't-go off are a Known Thing that everyone seems blase about.

`You young folk aren't going to believe this, but I can remember when if you switched a light off it would stay completely off! Hard to believe, I know, but I swear to you, that's how it was back in the day`
There's only one man who can help us here- calling @Coal

Two pebbles of cheese have disappeared from my fridge. they were in there last time I looked - I'd purchased a selection from a creamery. I love cheese but I'm only allowed small quantities for digestive reasons. I did not eat the cheese, and nothing else has gone missing. Really strange.
Speaking as someone who has eaten around 15 kilos of cheese today alone, I find this incomprehensible. But, I still have to ask; pebbles?

Attachments

• wallace-big-cheese.png
    wallace-big-cheese.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 13
A German comedian (forget his name) said that during training for national service they had to go through the woods and pick out mess tins/helmets/uniforms etc. When he got back he reported to the Sergeant what he had seen who asked ''You didn't see the tank then?''

Mind you, not as bad as missing a whole supermarket......
Edit; Comedian is Henning Wehn.

There's only one man who can help us here- calling @Coal
….I've had a look around and I can't see anything that I really believe, except faulty wiring.

It is true that LEDs can light with tiny currents. It's remotely possible that for a light fitting that is switched off, if its wires were were bundled with other live wires, they might just act as a coupled inductor and allow some power to be passed to the 'off' live wire. If the neutral wire for the 'off' bulb was still connected, it's possible that this might allow enough power to couple over to generate some light. That said the power would have to be sufficient to activate the power supply circuit built into the light bulb. Possible, but feels a smidgen unlikely, but you never know.

None of my house bulbs do this (I know...)

….I've had a look around and I can't see anything that I really believe, except faulty wiring.

It is true that LEDs can light with tiny currents. It's remotely possible that for a light fitting that is switched off, if its wires were were bundled with other live wires, they might just act as a coupled inductor and allow some power to be passed to the 'off' live wire. If the neutral wire for the 'off' bulb was still connected, it's possible that this might allow enough power to couple over to generate some light. That said the power would have to be sufficient to activate the power supply circuit built into the light bulb. Possible, but feels a smidgen unlikely, but you never know.

None of my house bulbs do this (I know...)
The 'switched live' maybe?

Two pebbles of cheese have disappeared from my fridge. they were in there last time I looked - I'd purchased a selection from a creamery. I love cheese but I'm only allowed small quantities for digestive reasons. I did not eat the cheese, and nothing else has gone missing. Really strange.
If they are really small could they have fallen into the vegetable crisper( or behind it} at the bottom of the fridge?

Russian wiring? We've heard about Russian expanding foam so.........?

Russian wiring? We've heard about Russian expanding foam so.........?
I'm in Kazakhstan now (do keep up!) - but, yeah, there might be something there. What's strange is that the problem only arose just over a week ago - for the four or so months previous to that the lights turned off as normal. How can the nature of the wiring wiring change overnight like that?

It's all beyond me. I only worrk here....

I'm in Kazakhstan now (do keep up!) - but, yeah, there might be something there. What's strange is that the problem only arose just over a week ago - for the four or so months previous to that the lights turned off as normal. How can the nature of the wiring wiring change overnight like that?

It's all beyond me. I only worrk here....
Ah. Sorry!
Not on a 'dimmer' switch perchance?

When I turn off my lights, they do glow for maybe 1/2 minute after, but no longer, and not enough to see anything by.

Seriously, I'd get an electrician in ASAP. I had a similar issue a few years ago - lights glowing dimly even when the switch was in the off position.
I checked the socket with a multimeter, and sure enough, there was voltage there.
It turned out that the problem was an outside light fitting that had accumulated dirt and bits of old leaves. which had partially carbonised, forming a short that was feeding voltage into the wiring when it shouldn't have been.
As that light fitting was screwed into the wood underneath an eaves, we very nearly had a fire!
Conflagrations are best avoided.

Definitely not the mouse, it would have left wrappings. I really am puzzled by this -last time I looked into the fridge the cheese was there unopened, now its disappeared without trace.
Maybe you moved it to get to something else in the fridge? Worth another check.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+cheap+chinese+bulb+that+won't+turn+off

I was thinking maybe you sleep walked and tossed the pebbles instead of eating them, but this sounds more plausible to me now:
If they are really small could they have fallen into the vegetable crisper( or behind it} at the bottom of the fridge?
BTW, my condolences for your not being able to eat cheese to your heart's content. I love cheese too, and would be sad to not be able to indulge when the good stuff is available!

The other night my two months old iPad’s battery drained even thought it wasn’t doing anything. That was very odd. But then I remembered mum’s Fitbit suddenly lost charge a few nights before. Ghosts or aliens?

Ps why does this thread always hide from me? I always have great trouble finding it.

Attachments

• 3AD74692-3344-498E-AFF6-3BF93359A916.jpeg
    3AD74692-3344-498E-AFF6-3BF93359A916.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 06E277C9-4F19-42E4-918E-08AFDE72ACBE.jpeg
    06E277C9-4F19-42E4-918E-08AFDE72ACBE.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 9
Back