• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Do you take vitamins? If not, maybe variations in your food lead to lower functioning. Of maybe you're not drinking enough water those days.
Actually, I think @IbisNibs could be right. I'm shocking at drinking enough liquid and it could be that low energy days coincide with not being hydrated enough - I'll have to do some 'control test running'.

Although I think I might wait until I've eaten all the hot cross buns first.

Trust me that supermarket workers have a very good idea of who the shoplifters are and who is a normal, confused customer.
In Tesco yesterday I spotted a scruffy & dodgy-looking bloke grabbing 2 bottles of whisky off a shelf & putting them straight inside his jacket, bold as brass. I told the security man & meanwhile he was shouted out by numerous staff who recognised him aa a regular shoplifter.

Funny thing is he picked the cheaper end of the market - I think it was Famous Grouse. He could’ve gone for much more desirable single malts. And they had those security tops attached so the alarm would’ve gone off on leaving, though whether the security man would’ve chased him outside had he got to the exit is debatable I suppose.

He got ejected minus whisky.

Funny thing is he picked the cheaper end of the market - I think it was Famous Grouse. He could’ve gone for much more desirable single malts. And they had those security tops attached so the alarm would’ve gone off on leaving, though whether the security man would’ve chased him outside had he got to the exit is debatable I suppose.

That's why he went for the cheaper stuff.

The trouble is that they keep putting the price of alcohol up to the point when the average chap who is perfectly respectable but not wealthy, cannot enjoy a drink as often as he/she would like.

And yet again, the less wealthy of society are penalised (as they are with the offers when buying larger amounts of alcohol) as if people don't have a car, they cannot carry the boxes home.

And why has the alcohol content of many of white wines gone down to 11, even 10%?

In Tesco yesterday I spotted a scruffy & dodgy-looking bloke grabbing 2 bottles of whisky off a shelf & putting them straight inside his jacket, bold as brass. I told the security man & meanwhile he was shouted out by numerous staff who recognised him aa a regular shoplifter.

Local alkie probably. Those who steal to sell will steal the good name stuff. Those who steal just to drink themselves insensible will snatch whatever they can reach.

And a lot of shops don't have alarms, and most that do don't use the bottle tops that set off alarms. The point of the tops is that they are really hard to remove, which deters people from stealing them - they are a) obviously stolen when they sell them on and b) hard to removed without breaking the bottle and making the liquid undrinkable.

Local alkie probably. Those who steal to sell will steal the good name stuff. Those who steal just to drink themselves insensible will snatch whatever they can reach.

And a lot of shops don't have alarms, and most that do don't use the bottle tops that set off alarms. The point of the tops is that they are really hard to remove, which deters people from stealing them - they are a) obviously stolen when they sell them on and b) hard to removed without breaking the bottle and making the liquid undrinkable.
Probably right - he had that look about him.

It's probably something to do with the rates of duty levied on wine. Reducing the alcohol brings it into a lower band.

Most wine will see an increase of £0.44 per 75cl bottle, or a 20% increase in the duty paid (£2.67 vs the current £2.23). This increase will apply to wines with an ABV between 11.5% and 14.5%.

Wines with an ABV above 15% will see a duty increase of £0.97 (+44%) per 75cl bottle, and this increase gets bigger the higher the alcohol percentage – duty on fortified wines of +20% ABV will go up by £1.30 to £4.28 per 75cl bottle.

On the other hand, wine under 11.5% ABV will be treated more favourably. Duty on wine at 10% ABV, for example, will be £0.09 less than the current rate (at £2.14 per 75cl bottle).
https://www.matthewclark.co.uk/latest-news-blogs/blog/august-2023-duty-changes-explained/

Where my daughter works has a lot of shoplifting lately so Loss Prevention has been in quite a bit.
Some are professional thieves and bold as brass but the other day something she said made me feel quite sad,
There was a man who had been caught and the goods taken back.
He was sitting on a seat in the centre crying.
It just makes me sad to wonder what was going on there.

A bit difficult to explain, but does anyone have random days where things just seem hard work for some reason (even if you're not doing anything different from the day(s) before)?

A kind of wading through mud feeling.

It's not that you're ill or anything like that, but everything seems laborious, even simple tasks that you normally do without too much effort.
Ha my life exactly. (not really but I get it)

Where my daughter works has a lot of shoplifting lately so Loss Prevention has been in quite a bit.
Some are professional thieves and bold as brass but the other day something she said made me feel quite sad,
Crying because he failed? Were they food essentials or bottles of booze and the like?

The local Tesco Express only has security on from 1pm so that the local scallywags know when to try it on.

There’s plenty with higher than that - read the label!
Yes I know, but my point was that a lot of wines that used to be 12/12.5/13 are now much lower and the cost of the decent strength ones are going up weekly, so yet again, the less wealthy who like a glass of vino are being penalised.

I had a 14% one last eve, but it's gone up 50p in the last few months.

The local Tesco Express only has security on from 1pm so that the local scallywags know when to try it on.
Our little Morrisons daily sometimes has trouble and often there are only a couple of women on duty.

One was telling me how this guy came in, took a bootle of whisky and said I'm not paying for it, then walked out.

Next door is a car showroom and one of the guys there heard the commotion, chased the thief, got him down and pummeled him until the police turned up.

Our little Morrisons daily sometimes has trouble and often there are only a couple of women on duty.

One was telling me how this guy came in, took a bootle of whisky and said I'm not paying for it, then walked out.

Next door is a car showroom and one of the guys there heard the commotion, chased the thief, got him down and pummeled him until the police turned up.
That's illegal. The (alleged) thief could have the car bloke arrested for assault.

That's illegal. The (alleged) thief could have the car bloke arrested for assault.
Yes. He'd got a bit violent with the member of staff though apparently and as I write, I think there was a knife involved, or the threat of him using a knife (reaching into his pocket) as well, so I shan't worry too much about him.

Nothing came of it as far as I know, and I don't think the thief got any punishment either even though he was/is a known offender.

We are told not to tackle shoplifters, just to make a note of them so they can be banned. It's not worth being threatened or attacked just to save the Co Op the cost of a bottle of booze or a meat pie.

We are told not to tackle shoplifters, just to make a note of them so they can be banned. It's not worth being threatened or attacked just to save the Co Op the cost of a bottle of booze or a meat pie.
Definitely.

To be quite honest, if I worked in a large store I wouldn't even say anything (unless I really didn't like the look of them).

Crying because he failed? Were they food essentials or bottles of booze and the like?
The alcohol is in a separate part. She had been serving when he was caught so didn't know what he had.
They usually don't call the police but just send them off.
I just wondered why he was crying. Men of my age seldom cried.
I only ever saw my husband cry once.

Definitely.

To be quite honest, if I worked in a large store I wouldn't even say anything (unless I really didn't like the look of them).
Yup, a big store can cough up for security. Hardworking employees shouldn't be risking assault or worse to protect the goods.

You have to feel sorry for the small independent shopkeepers who're being robbed.

Back