• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'm about 90% sure that what is shown in those ebay links IS/WAS my eggcup! Thanks for finding those images Vardoger and Min.

It's a lesson in the fallibility of memory, if you look at my pic and then the ebay one. I got the rabbit tail wrong, where did that come from? And the panda eyes, but this wasn't something from my childhood - I definitely owned it as an adult so I thought my memory of it would have been a bit better.
I see I got the vestigial tusks right though and the green pupils.

But look at it. It has paws and it's hind legs are nothing like an elephant's.

Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 21.02.41jpeg.jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 21.02.30jpeg.jpg

Drawing of missing eggcup as promised in post no.5020 above.

It was really very difficult for me to draw this from memory, especially as I can't remember if there were any other markings on it. The actual eggcup was more top-heavy in that the head was larger than this pic.
I remember that the pupils of it's eyes were a bright green.
I've added some vestigial tusks. I think it had some.
Another feature I remembered when doing this was that round the back it had a tail which was bobbed like a rabbit - and painted black.

View attachment 6515

I posted one I found as well :)

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/fortean-art.2166/page-10#post-1711255

There really aren't many around though!

It's a cat with it's tail in it's mouth. One of them ugly skinny ones.

I'm about 90% sure that what is shown in those ebay links IS/WAS my eggcup! Thanks for finding those images Vardoger and Min.

It's a lesson in the fallibility of memory, if you look at my pic and then the ebay one. I got the rabbit tail wrong, where did that come from? And the panda eyes, but this wasn't something from my childhood - I definitely owned it as an adult so I thought my memory of it would have been a bit better.
I see I got the vestigial tusks right though and the green pupils.

But look at it. It has paws and it's hind legs are nothing like an elephant's.

View attachment 6518 View attachment 6519

May I ask, David, if you intend bidding on the Ebay Elephant? If so I shall happily refrain from doing so myself; But I do find it strangely pleasing in an odd sort of way and might enjoy having it.

Ah, OK...bang goes that idea! :D

May I ask, David, if you intend bidding on the Ebay Elephant? If so I shall happily refrain from doing so myself; But I do find it strangely pleasing in an odd sort of way and might enjoy having it.

I won't be, no. Whatever it's reasons for leaving me were, I'm going to respect them. I wish it well in this new chapter of it's life and if you do bid then good luck.
I have two perfectly serviceable eggcups anyway, even if they do seem a little dull in comparison to the above. One's a Beatrix Potter affair and the other was handmade by a local artist. That one came from a range he called Red Crusader, but this was back in the 90's when there was no such thing as Islamophobia.

I won't be, no. Whatever it's reasons for leaving me were, I'm going to respect them. I wish it well in this new chapter of it's life and if you do bid then good luck.
I have two perfectly serviceable eggcups anyway, even if they do seem a little dull in comparison to the above. One's a Beatrix Potter affair and the other was handmade by a local artist. That one came from a range he called Red Crusader, but this was back in the 90's when there was no such thing as Islamophobia.

You take your eggcups pretty seriously.

Thank you David, whether it is actually yours or merely a clone, it will find a good home among my curios. I have to admit it may not see an egg for the foreseeable if I get it... I'm simply amused by the shape and character. Your views on the omelette lie in a similar direction to my own.

until these last few posts i didnt actually believe in the existence of eggcups, never having to my knowledge ever seen one ... i kind of thought they were a victorian parlour relic ...

until these last few posts i didnt actually believe in the existence of eggcups, never having to my knowledge ever seen one ... i kind of thought they were a victorian parlour relic ...

The debate is very much alive: are you a Big-Endian or a Small-Endian?

and as well how you actually make a boiled egg and cut soldiers.

My mum could make perfect bread, yorkshire puds, gravy, roast potatoes and boiled eggs and I just can't do it to the same degree of amazingness.

I must admit a good soft boiled egg is one of the few things I'll break my veganism for (although I do feel a bit queasy afterwards, so I don't do it very often; maybe once a year :) ).

My method for eggs, which doesn't sound like it'll work, but really does, is to put the eggs in cold water and bring to the boil. Once the water hits a fast boil (the eggs start to rattle in the pan) start timing, and give the eggs 30 seconds, if they're small, or 45 if they're large.

I know it doesn't sound long enough, but it's the very best way to guarantee a soft yolk :)

Mums and grans are still the best at everything though! I don't think I'll ever equal my gran's boiled fruit cake, or my other gran's sherry biscuits, however many years I practise :(

I know it doesn't sound long enough, but it's the very best way to guarantee a soft yolk :)

Depends on the freshness as well. When we kept chucks the really fresh eggs took longer to cook.

I prefer to poach mine, water, salt, malt vinegar. Bring to the boil at 'full power', crack in the eggs, set the timer up on the stove and once the pan is back to the fast boil, re-set the timer for 2:30 then whip 'em out with a slotted spoon. Proper butter and toast, the yolks are nicely runny...

Big-endians are the spawn of the devil, what is wrong with some people?

Drawing of missing eggcup as promised in post no.5020 above.

It was really very difficult for me to draw this from memory, especially as I can't remember if there were any other markings on it. The actual eggcup was more top-heavy in that the head was larger than this pic.
I remember that the pupils of it's eyes were a bright green.
I've added some vestigial tusks. I think it had some.
Another feature I remembered when doing this was that round the back it had a tail which was bobbed like a rabbit - and painted black.

View attachment 6515
THE REVENGE OF THE PANDA DEPARTMENT!!!!

There was a discussion some years ago on'ere about a dead/stuffed/preserved whale that was transported round the country on display. Or was it in the letters page of the Guardian? Or both?

Anyway,if anyone's interested here's a photo of it from the mid-60s.

Attachments

• whale on Crewe Square.jpg
    whale on Crewe Square.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 17
I remember it well it came to Rochdale I lived and worked in Bury at the time,
we had this young lad that worked with us a very timid and a bit strange looking
lad, he comes in one day and announces he is quit'ing and going with the wale.
So I went to see this, he showed me round, the thing had a refrigeration plant
inside it never saw or heard of him or the wale again, he was one that I was
surprised he would do anything unusual but there you go as they say

I have been trying to remember his name but cant, I do remember his nick name
"Willy Wombat"

Last edited:
Peak Zuckerberg: There’s a new digital magazine coming that only analyzes photos of Mark Zuckerberg

https://www.recode.net/platform/amp...ebook-digital-magazine-mark-zuckerberg-photos

When Tim Hwang first came up with the idea for a Mark Zuckerberg-inspired digital magazine, he thought it was pretty funny. Hwang, who lives in San Francisco and works in the tech industry, found himself routinely saving images of Facebook’s CEO to his phone, capturing what he called the “amazingly bizarre, kind of iconic” pictures that appeared in the media or on Zuckerberg’s own Facebook page.
When Hwang realized some of his friends were doing the same thing — Zuckerberg’s cross-country tour this year to “meet people in every state” has provided a lot of good material — he realized the images were good for more than just a laugh.

Reelfoot Lake, TN. My wife and I had been on a long road trip out west and had booked lodging at a fishing camp here for the night, the last 2 nights of our trip. We planned to rent a boat the next day and survey the lake, view wildlife etc. This lake was formed naturally by the New Madrid Earthquake in the 1800s. Really cool place, but very isolated in the middle of the Mississippi Delta.
Anyway we arrived after dark, put some stuff in the cabin and left to go find dinner in the very small town about 10 miles away. We were about 1/2 way to town driving on a very dark and isolated road thru the vast soybean fields when out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed something very strange. A large black humanoid shape, 6-7' tall and very wide and blocky, in the outline of the classic Bigfoot, standing on the side of the road with an arm sticking out horizontally in a hitchhiking pose. I shuddered to myself, blinked a few times and shook it off thinking I've been driving all day and I'm tired. I didn't mention it to my wife. We went on and found some fast food at the only thing open in town.
Here's the weird part. On the way back, within a mile of where I saw this my wife said "did you see that man walking down the road just now?" I said "no". She said "I think it was a man" but he was huge!". I shuddered again to myself.
I didn't turn around. Guess I didn't want to know.

Two days ago I was reading the article on the Golem in the FT. Upon reading that Francis Black (singer of the band Pixies) had recorded a soundtrack to a 1920's film on the Golem I decided to look on Deezer for it. On Deezer I typed in Francis Black and The Golem album was the first in the search results. Then last night my wife switched the TV channel over, the programme starting was a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, on the Golem of Prague.

Two days ago I was reading the article on the Golem in the FT. Upon reading that Francis Black (singer of the band Pixies) had recorded a soundtrack to a 1920's film on the Golem I decided to look on Deezer for it. On Deezer I typed in Francis Black and The Golem album was the first in the search results. Then last night my wife switched the TV channel over, the programme starting was a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, on the Golem of Prague.

You mean Black Francis... More poshley known as Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV who, in the opinion os some might be considered a bit of a Golem in his own right. ;)

I'm sure he changed his name from Black Francis to Frank Black, or the other way around. I have all Pixies original vinyl on 4AD records, even including the bag that Doolittle came in. loving his UFO stuff he was quite Fortean really.

I'm sure he changed his name from Black Francis to Frank Black, or the other way around. I have all Pixies original vinyl on 4AD records, even including the bag that Doolittle came in. loving his UFO stuff he was quite Fortean really.

I'm afraid I must confess to some personal knowledge of the fellow, as in having worked with him once. He's depressingly posh (as Americans go) and I'm afraid Charles is his name. - Black Francis is his stage name.

It doesn't surprise me TBH. I'm sure though that he changed his stage name, changed the first name and surname. I met Captain Sensible ( of punk band The Damned) a few years ago at a bar. He is very well spoken and remarkably courteous and polite.

It doesn't surprise me TBH. I'm sure though that he changed his stage name, changed the first name and surname. I met Captain Sensible ( of punk band The Damned) a few years ago at a bar. He is very well spoken and remarkably courteous and polite.

There was something called 'Frank Black and the Catholics' he got involved in... But TBH I'm afraid many more people would be rock and roll legends if they had a rich mum and dad to bankroll them! - Street Cred by Mastercard? Not my thing.

Back