• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Or maybe she's like me and falls asleep with her hand on the iPad, my Pinterest board gets a bit odd sometimes!
Edit: Other tablets are available ;)

Last edited:
Ok I didn't think it was possible for digital clocks to just stop. I have just had my stereo (which is plugged in) stop at 23.11 it only started again when (after getting the remote to work, I don't use it very often) I woke it up and then put it into standby again. Another odd thing is I looked at another clock at 11.11pm and noticed its uniformness and that's why I really noticed some time later when my stereo said it. The stereo usually gains time.

It sounds as if you're having a lot of clock weirdness lately, MorningAngel. First your phone, now your stereo! Maybe Father Time is trying to tell you something? :)

Funny thing is Ulalume I've written a book called Grandfather Time maybe it's it hint to push it more lol. Or it's just screwing with my head, guess what the time was I started typing this? 11.11pm :confused:

Funny thing is Ulalume I've written a book called Grandfather Time maybe it's it hint to push it more lol. Or it's just screwing with my head, guess what the time was I started typing this? 11.11pm :confused:

Well, there you go! I didn't have to use the phrase Father Time, I could just as easily made a Doctor Who reference instead. :p It really might be the right time to push your book.

The degree of disorientation is difficult to judge. If you are a lady, it's a bit of erased, routine experience. If other, it may be the start of an awfully big adventure . . . :D

Lady here, no big adventures looming :D

Some minor strangeness for me yesterday. I was mopping the kitchen floor and saw something round and translucent shining in the gap between the fridge and the cupboard. Poking at it and picking it up, I realised that is was a contact lens. Neither myself nor my partner wear contacts, and no one who wears them has been round to our place recently either - and I'm sure any visitor would mention the fact that they'd lost one if it happened to fall out in the kitchen anyway. The only thing I can think of is that it's been there since we moved in circa 9 years ago! Yet, it was clearly visible not too far into the fridge gap and would surely have been noticed before!

Take a look outside and if you see somebody walking in a circle and bumping into things, hand it over. You might have brought it in on your shoe?

Some minor strangeness for me yesterday. I was mopping the kitchen floor and saw something round and translucent shining in the gap between the fridge and the cupboard. Poking at it and picking it up, I realised that is was a contact lens. Neither myself nor my partner wear contacts, and no one who wears them has been round to our place recently either - and I'm sure any visitor would mention the fact that they'd lost one if it happened to fall out in the kitchen anyway. The only thing I can think of is that it's been there since we moved in circa 9 years ago! Yet, it was clearly visible not too far into the fridge gap and would surely have been noticed before!

Is it a hard lens or floppy?

Ok so probably a disposable, they do have a habit of sticking to everything. If it was a hard lens then it could have been hanging for years as not many people wear them these days.

That's a good point. It wasn't particularly dusty either so it can't have been hanging around for too long, but if picked up on a shoe I would have thought it was more likely to come off in the hallway or the stairs. Thinking about it, it could have come in inside a shopping bag, which we always unpack near the fridge. We have home delivery, so maybe the packing person lost it and it ended up in our shopping!

At the shopping centre this morning just as I was backing out, having looked to see if anything was coming, a car cut across several parking lanes and ended up in my lane, causing me to whack on the brakes.
They then went really really slowly in front of us. But then a seagull landed on their roof which made us laugh as we watched them turn the corner with their ornament on top.

Just a nicely weird video where not much is happening. Reminds me of Andy Warhol's experiments but now "totally different":

Love Nick, but he's just shilling for whisky there, it's a very long ad.

At the weekend we had a big delivery of logs for the fire, so took some over for Mr E's mother. After a bit of effort stacking them up she offered me a cup of tea. Mr E doesn't drink tea so I said quite randomly 'ooh maybe he'd like a cup of Bovril or something'. Then we had a little laugh because when was the last time you even thought about having a cup of Bovril? it sounds like something from the dark ages (certainly I've not had one since my childhood). He resisted the idea (doubtless there was no bovril in the house anyway) and had some squash instead. Later that evening I was watching the television when a Bovril advert suggesting drinking some Bovril came on... minor strangeness but it make me feel a bit confused.

I drink Bovril from time to time.
My Mum is making my Dad drink it a lot these days because he's anaemic and a non meat-eater (not an actual vegetarian, but mostly).

Love this thread. I kind of think that if "something is going on" it's in the minor everyday strangeness's like these, that we can see it most often. Now I also want a cup of Bovril!

We've recently being covering memory at big school and were discussing memory palaces - I built one once, 10 floors, ten number room per floor, all colour (resistor colour codes) and texture coded. It's nice but I hadn't been here for a while and on floor '10', coded white, where the floor is powdered snow and the window-sill is white marble, in the middle of the floor is a crow. I can't for the life of me recall why I put it there or what he's for.

birds.jpg

The new hype (since last year) is "peanut butter for birds". They really love it.
The problem is that once the big birds (magpies, jackdaws) discover the pot, they empty it very fast and the little birds (robins, tits) get much less.
Now they started selling "anti big bird protective covers for the bird peanut butter" so we bought one.
With the result of many puzzled and irritated little birds who couldn't figure it out :p
After two days we couldn't take this sad sight anymore so we removed the cover ...

Or there's the other black stuff, Marmite! (Other supermarket versions may be available.)

This was a weird one that surprised me, I was alone in the house yesterday afternoon and whilst standing in the kitchen suddenly heard a little girl laughing very clearly and loudly coming from the lounge, I think that's the only external voice I've heard in a decade. My house is very isolated, surrounded by fields, you need binoculars too see the closest house.

Mythopoeika, did you know that for a little while Bovril went vegetarian. Which even I (as a largely vegetarian type) thought was outrageous... a noble British product found in Victorian groceries, emasculated. I should have been pleased but i wasn't.
And regarding your father, it reminds me of my own mother's Belief in the Life Giving Properties of Dead Animals (to be fair she wouldn't do it these days, she's largely vegetarian too) - when i first became vegetarian and got ill, she fed me with a pasty she'd put OXO cubes in, to perk me up (I resisted). It's probably a topic in itself.

Mythopoeika, did you know that for a little while Bovril went vegetarian. Which even I (as a largely vegetarian type) thought was outrageous... a noble British product found in Victorian groceries, emasculated. I should have been pleased but i wasn't.
And regarding your father, it reminds me of my own mother's Belief in the Life Giving Properties of Dead Animals (to be fair she wouldn't do it these days, she's largely vegetarian too) - when i first became vegetarian and got ill, she fed me with a pasty she'd put OXO cubes in, to perk me up (I resisted). It's probably a topic in itself.
Yes, I was quite amazed when they changed it to a veggie recipe...because it tasted the same!
I was also puzzled when they changed it back to a meat-derived recipe. Why change it back at all? Unless the veggie version was more expensive...

This was a weird one that surprised me, I was alone in the house yesterday afternoon and whilst standing in the kitchen suddenly heard a little girl laughing very clearly and loudly coming from the lounge, I think that's the only external voice I've heard in a decade. My house is very isolated, surrounded by fields, you need binoculars too see the closest house.
That is a weird one. Unless a small child had ventured onto your property and was looking through your window?

You've not heard anyone speak for a decade or just in your house?

Back