• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
OK, so we have threads here for horror, sci-fi, steampunk and worst movies, which sometimes touches on this topic, but I thought a thread dedicated to ostensively historical films which are littered with anachronisms and other cringeworthy goofs could be quite entertaining.
For the purposes of this thread, I'm discounting comedies/spoofs or movies based on comic-strip material, so no Life of Brian, 300 or Indiana Jones.
To kick things off, here are three that irk me:

The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986).
Based closely on Jean M. Auel's epic prehistoric soap-opera, she apparently carried out substantial research by visiting prehistoric sites and attending archaeological conventions and yet both the novels and the movie got many basics utterly wrong.
The Neanderthals were depicted as swarthy, whereas Ayla and her modern human people were fair, Nordic types. Definitely the wrong way around, when DNA evidence reveals that Neanderthals were likely pale-skinned with fair or ginger hair, whilst the Cro-Magnons were the more swarthy ones. Ayla and her lover are even blue-eyed, whereas the blue-eyed gene mutation occurred much later in human history. Both Ayla and the Neanderthal women have beautifully manicured nails and shaved armpits - which seems extremely unlikely.

clan.png

The Battle of the Bulge (1965)
A dramatisation of the German Ardennes Offensive in December 1944.
It gets off to a poor start when, to recreate a wintry, forested Belgium, they decided to shoot the movie near Madrid in sunny Spain!
Then, as any lad who's ever built Airfix kits of Shermans, Tigers, Panthers and the like will tell you, the Korean war surplus tanks used in the movie look nothing like genuine WW2 tanks. Here's a M47 Patton tank painted to look like (presumably) a Tiger II and it's fooling no-one. Finally, the movie, as was par for the course back then, depicts solely the American effort, and totally ignores the two armies under Montgomery's command, not to mention the RAF air strikes, which helped tip the balance in the allies' favour.
The film was so historically inaccurate, that President Eisenhower allegedly came out of retirement and held a press conference just to denounce it!

patton.png

Braveheart (1995)
Oh blimey! Where to start with this?
Widely panned as the least historically accurate movie ever made, all I can do is cut and paste from the long list of howlers:
Wallace himself wasn't a Highlander commoner, but was from a longstanding noble family of Norman descent.
The tartan and kilts worn by Wallace and his army are a few hundred years too early.
Whereas the face paint was at least a thousand years too late and had fallen out of fashion after the Picts and the Roman occupation.
The Battle of Stirling Bridge is missing the bridge, without which the military action is meaningless.
The Irish didn't join with the Scots at the battle of Falkirk.
The Scots never sacked York.
Isabella of France is not thought to have ever met Wallace and was probably around 8 years old at the time of these events, so a romance would have been unlikely to say the least.
"Braveheart" was the nickname of Robert the Bruce (who is downright slandered in the movie), not William Wallace.
Edward lived a further two years after Wallace's execution.
As author John O’Farrell, put it, the film couldn’t have been more inaccurate if a plasticine dog had been added to the cast and the film were retitled William Wallace and Gromit.

wallace.png

What are your favourite historically shambolic movies?

Last edited:
OK, so we have threads here for horror, sci-fi, steampunk and worst movies, which sometimes touches on this topic, but I thought a thread dedicated to ostensively historical films which are littered with anachronisms and other cringeworthy goofs could be quite entertaining.
For the purposes of this thread, I'm discounting comedies/spoofs or movies based on comic-strip material, so no Life of Brian, 300 or Indiana Jones.
To kick things off, here are three that irk me:

The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986).
Based closely on Jean M. Auel's epic prehistoric soap-opera, she apparently carried out substantial research by visiting prehistoric sites and attending archaeological conventions and yet both the novels and the movie got many basics utterly wrong.
The Neanderthals were depicted as swarthy, whereas Ayla and her modern human people were fair, Nordic types. Definitely the wrong way around, when DNA evidence reveals that Neanderthals were likely pale-skinned with fair or ginger hair, whilst the Cro-Magnons were the more swarthy ones. Ayla and her lover are even blue-eyed, whereas the blue-eyed gene mutation occurred much later in human history. Both Ayla and the Neanderthal women have beautifully manicured nails and shaved armpits - which seems extremely unlikely.

View attachment 75837

A dramatisation of the German Ardennes Offensive in December 1944.
It gets off to a poor start when, to recreate a wintry, forested Belgium, they decided to shoot the movie near Madrid in sunny Spain!
Then, as any lad who's ever built Airfix kits of Shermans, Tigers, Panthers and the like will tell you, the Korean war surplus tanks used in the movie look nothing like genuine WW2 tanks. Here's a M47 Patton tank painted to look like (presumably) a Tiger II and it's fooling no-one. Finally, the movie, as was par for the course back then, depicts solely the American effort, and totally ignores the two armies under Montgomery's command, not to mention the RAF air strikes, which helped tip the balance in the allies' favour.
The film was so historically inaccurate, that President Eisenhower allegedly came out of retirement and held a press conference just to denounce it!

View attachment 75838

Braveheart (1995)
Widely panned as the least historically accurate movie ever made, all I can do is cut and paste from the long list of howlers:
Wallace himself wasn't a Highlander commoner, but was from a longstanding noble family of Norman descent.
The tartan and kilts worn by Wallace and his army are a few hundred years too early.
Whereas the face paint was at least a thousand years too late and had fallen out of fashion after the Picts and the Roman occupation.
The Battle of Stirling Bridge is missing the bridge, without which the military action is meaningless.
Isabella of France is not thought to have ever met Wallace and was probably around 8 years old at the time of these events, so a romance would have been unlikely to say the least.
"Braveheart" was the nickname of Robert the Bruce (who is downright slandered in the movie), not William Wallace.
As author John O’Farrell, put it, the film couldn’t have been more inaccurate if a plasticine dog had been added to the cast and the film were retitled William Wallace and Gromit.

View attachment 75839

Allow me to nominate two other Gibson vehicles:

Gallipoli for just about everything.

The Patriot
for - among other things - unjustifiably blackening the reputation of British officer Banastre Tarleton.

maximus otter

I know someone who knew someone (y'know what I mean) who was the history advisor on a film set in the Middle Ages and a real-life event. From Day One of filming, he started listing the errors. The Director just shrugged and said it was good enough for the public. After a time, the director gave the advisor the sack and got in someone more ... compliant. It was explained that (usually) the 'experts' were only wanted for the films claim to authenticity, not actual checks on accuracy.
"We're making entertainment not a documentary!"

I know someone who knew someone (y'know what I mean) who was the history advisor on a film set in the Middle Ages and a real-life event. From Day One of filming, he started listing the errors. The Director just shrugged and said it was good enough for the public. After a time, the director gave the advisor the sack and got in someone more ... compliant. It was explained that (usually) the 'experts' were only wanted for the films claim to authenticity, not actual checks on accuracy.
"We're making entertainment not a documentary!"
Depends on the director, really. Some directors actually do care and are prepared to keep things as accurate as they can.

Gallipoli for just about everything.

The Patriot
for - among other things - unjustifiably blackening the reputation of British officer Banastre Tarleton.

maximus otter

I loved The Patriot! So much Sassenach gore! ESpecially the ambush scene where Mel dispatched the Brits with a tomahawk.

As someone commented on how well slaves were treated: there was a danger that The Blues would never be born..

I posted something about Percy Fawcett earlier on the large snakes thread and just looked up some reviews of the 2016 Lost City of Z movie.
Nothing quite as egregious as Braveheart, but it does have its share of anachronisms and other goofs:

Set in 1906, there is an early shot of a steam locomotive in British Rail green with the British Rail emblem on its tender. This wasn't introduced until 1935.

Fawcett was in the Royal Artillery and did not lead any infantry attacks during the war.

The 1918 battle scene shows German soldiers in the trenches wearing Pickelhaube, but the infamous spiked helmet had already been replaced by the more practical Stahlhelm in 1916.

Soldiers can be seen smoking white-filtered cigarettes. These weren't introduced until 1925.

The torches used by the indigenous people are far too modern and the metal internal canisters are visible.

One of the workers shouts "Black gold! Rubber!" Rubber and the latex from which it is made are naturally white. The 'black' (usually carbon) is added during processing. 'Black gold' is a nickname for crude oil.

Fawcett and his party search for the source of the river - by going downstream.

The thing about Faucett is you could slap any wild story on him and it would somehow be right.

Maybe not accurate but right.

Finally, the movie, as was par for the course back then, depicts solely the American effort, and totally ignores the two armies under Montgomery's command.

Which 'two armies'?

The whole controversy was that Eisenhower followed the advice of his British staff officers and his chief of staff Bedell Smith (who loathed Monty) to remove two American armies (First and Ninth) from Bradley's 12th Army Group and place them under Montgomery's command, which already comprised his own 21st Army Group (British Second and First Canadian Armies).

That's four armies under command from 20/12/44.

Which 'two armies'?

The whole controversy was that Eisenhower followed the advice of his British staff officers and his chief of staff Bedell Smith (who loathed Monty) to remove two American armies from Bradley's 12th Army Group and place them under Montgomery's command (First and Ninth), which already comprised his own 21st Army Group (British Second and First Canadian Armies).

That's four armies under command from 20/12/44.
Fair enough but, like most US war films, they were the only allies involved.
The 2001 movie Enigma probably merits a mention here too.

There are (among other things) the landing craft in the Russel Crowe Robin Hood, which wouldn't look out of place in Normandy in 1944.

The Patriot for - among other things - unjustifiably blackening the reputation of British officer Banastre Tarleton.

maximus otter
Supposedly it was the inspiration for the late Richard Holmes' book and four part documentary on the American War of Independence. He saw the movie on a plane and was so incensed by it he wrote his book, Rebels and Redcoats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebels_and_Redcoats

Oliver Stone's JFK is, IMO, a paranoiac conspiratorial fever-dream version of the assassination of the real JFK. Absolutely full of historical inaccuracies and very strange conjectures.

Lehigh University keeps an archive of source writings about the historical accuracy of JFK in its 'filmic context' section about this movie, among many others https://history-on-trial.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/reels/films/list/1_56_7

Last edited:
A film that I still really like, despite the inaccuracies, is the 2006 "Copying Beethoven".

Apart from the composer himself, the central character is his female music copyist, Anna Holz, who became Beethoven's friend and confidante and supported him in his endeavours. A lot of the movie is about the tribulations of a female trying to make it in a man's world. Anna ends up giving Beethoven the timing to conduct the premier of the 9th symphony, and turns him round at the end of the performance to see the applause he cannot hear.

It's a pity that Anna never existed. All of Beethoven's copyists were male, and everything she is depicted as doing can be documented as having been done by other people. The feminist component is completely imaginary.

All the same, it's not a bad movie, and the extended interlude in the middle that depicts the fist performance of the Ninth is a terrific piece of cinema.

Think about it ... all of Mel Gibson's oevre of 'historical' movies have the same plot:
Simple, peaceful farmer wants to avoid involvement in a struggle against occupiers/invaders. Sadly, his loving family are violated/murdered by the invaders and quickly becomes a heroic and brutal killing-machine. He then gathers around him a large army of partisans and learns the power of rhetoric to shout out highly motivational and rousing speeches.
Inaccurate and sometimes impossible mass battle scenes follow where the hero either dies a highly noble death or walks away with a newly-minted family.

Think about it ... all of Mel Gibson's oevre of 'historical' movies have the same plot:
Simple, peaceful farmer wants to avoid involvement in a struggle against occupiers/invaders. Sadly, his loving family are violated/murdered by the invaders and quickly becomes a heroic and brutal killing-machine. He then gathers around him a large army of partisans and learns the power of rhetoric to shout out highly motivational and rousing speeches.
Inaccurate and sometimes impossible mass battle scenes follow where the hero either dies a highly noble death or walks away with a newly-minted family.
Apocalypto follows that template to begin with. But it becomes something very different, and bonkers, while probably being inaccurate in all kinds of ways that I'm not knowledgeable enough to notice. The ending lingers with me to this day, and justifies the title.

Oliver Stone's JFK is, IMO, a paranoiac conspiratorial fever-dream version of the assassination of the real JFK. Absolutely full of historical inaccuracies and very strange conjectures.

Lehigh University keeps an archive of source writings about the historical accuracy of JFK in its 'filmic context' section about this movie, among many others https://history-on-trial.lib.lehigh.edu/trial/reels/films/list/1_56_7
The editing's style was so superb that I barely paused to consider whether the film's POV was credible or not.

May I recommend the following?

_133251963_3d_model_on_black_background_credit_bbc-studios-jamie_simonds.jpg

In this widely-acclaimed volume, some of our greatest historians address the facts—and fiction—as seen in Hollywood’s often epic recreations of historical events. Distinghuished historians such as Stephen Ambrose, Antonia Fraser, James McPherson, Gerda Lerner, Dee Brown, Frances FitzGerald, David Levering Lewis, and Simon Schama explore the relationship between film and the historical record. Offering hundreds of movie stills, archival photographs, maps, and other illustrations, along with sidebars on related historical events, Past Imperfect sheds new light on the uses of history in popular culture.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57646.Past_Imperfect

Any western (cowboy) movie made ever is historically innacurate. There are some native film makers currently doing some excellent movies. There is a television network called FNX that shows them as well as many native produced television shows, mostly from Canada and the southwest U.S.

Braveheart (1995)

View attachment 75839

Disturbingly there are many people out there who think Braveheart is virtually a documentary. As you point out Wallace wasn't even a Scot.

Disturbingly there are many people out there who think Braveheart is virtually a documentary. As you point out Wallace wasn't even a Scot.

Would you say Humza Yousaf isn't a Scot? Wallace's family had been in Scotland for generations.

Would you say Humza Yousaf isn't a Scot? Wallace's family had been in Scotland for generations.

This! THIS!!!!!!!

The only scots/people living in scotland I know who actually /like/ Braveheart are the die-hard Mel Gobson fans. Otherwise it's a film that takes a national icon, lies about him and suggests he has an underage sex encounter.

Back