• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mozilla/Nordgard VPN IPs Getting Blocked Very Quickly

TangletwigsDeux

Abominable Snowman
With recent headlines about "secretive" hoovering up of UK residents online data, I decided to ressurect regular VPN use on all systems. Choosing the relatively new offering from Firefox (which uses the Nordgard backbone I believe) all is well. However the FT message board is frequently detecting banned IP address on both the London and Manchester exit nodes and blocking access.

I realise this is probably some blacklist plug-in the forum software uses and there is little that can be done, but I thought it worth raising as I am sure VPN use will become more widespread rather quickly.

Like an idiot I forgot to note down the affected IPs I was allocated which the board didnt like. I will next time.

With recent headlines about "secretive" hoovering up of UK residents online data, I decided to ressurect regular VPN use on all systems. Choosing the relatively new offering from Firefox (which uses the Nordgard backbone I believe) all is well. However the FT message board is frequently detecting banned IP address on both the London and Manchester exit nodes and blocking access.

I realise this is probably some blacklist plug-in the forum software uses and there is little that can be done, but I thought it worth raising as I am sure VPN use will become more widespread rather quickly.

Like an idiot I forgot to note down the affected IPs I was allocated which the board didnt like. I will next time.
I use the free 'Turbo VPN' and usually route through Canada or Germany and i never have had an issue :)

A VPN anonymizes you by making you appear as if you're arriving from an IP address other than your actual cyber-location. This is a valuable capability for people who wish to keep their actual locations secret.

Unfortunately, the population of people who prize such secrecy includes a large number of spammers, scammers and hackers. In other words, the bad guys are using VPNs and / or the IP domains exploited by VPNs, too.

If you arrive at the forum's gates cloaked with an IP address strongly associated with known bad guy activities you will not be allowed access. Period / full stop ...

On any given day the majority of visitor access attempts may well be blocked, and the blocked visitors' IP addresses will be readily identifiable as ones within a demonstrably "toxic" IP domain. The proportion of such blocked visitor attempts has been steadily rising in recent years.

I used to be a moderator on the old Lockergnome computer forum back in the day, and had no problems accessing the site through normal means when it was using Invision Power Board forum software. Then it changed to phpBB and I kept getting IP banned from it. I routinely had to email the tech bloke and ask him to help me get in. I even started a spare account in the name of Bobby McBanned so I could post and message him about it.

You might want to use a specialized VPN browser for selected websites and an ordinary one for this one.

Back