• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yes, originally the planet was named Vulcanis and the natives Vucanians. I think the only reference on screen was when Harry Mudd said "You're part Vucanian, aren't you?"

Not a Mandela effect, just a tweak of the writer's guide.
Oh yeah, that Vulcan.

It's interesting to think that fifty or sixty years ago, humanlike life on Mars was still considered a possibility by many people. I'm sure there are still a few who think so, of course.

The Chase (Star Trek: The Next Generation) episode explains how Humans, Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons and Cardassians are all related.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
Despite this, the biological differences between Vulcans and humans is well established. For example, Vulcan blood carries oxygen in copper based protein (like the hemocyanin in mollusks) whereas humans have the iron-based hemoglobin. I think it's a fantasy that two such species could reproduce sexually with each other absent major genetic engineering or something like it.

Despite this, the biological differences between Vulcans and humans is well established. For example, Vulcan blood carries oxygen in copper based protein (like the hemocyanin in mollusks) whereas humans have the iron-based hemoglobin. I think it's a fantasy that two such species could reproduce sexually with each other absent major genetic engineering or something like it.

I'm not the screenplay writer/editor. Just bringing the episode to peoples attention.

Imho it's an excellent episode.

Are you trying to tell me Mr Spock is not a real person?! I mean, come off it!

Nimoy played before Spock as native american on western film. Bring this cause think that maybe there is some relation between the figure of the native american, most cocretelly that of the native explorer, He sujested that Spock would have red skin, but the idea was not taken cause the technicall problems of that age b/w tvs.
I feel it related with other character from the american culture, the arpooner of moby dyk, Queequeg.
KJgGz-1460124674-3208-list_items-wagontrain_nimoy.jpg

queequeg-canibal-harpooneer-moby-dick.jpg

Spock's trademark hand gesture allegedly originated with Nimoy, and it is the inspiration for a commemorative sculpture to be erected in Nimoy's hometown (Boston).
Live long in sculpture: 20-foot art planned for Spock symbol

The Museum of Science in Boston is paying tribute to city native Leonard Nimoy with a 20-foot sculpture shaped like Mr. Spock’s split-fingered “live long and prosper” hand gesture, the museum and the late “Star Trek” actor’s family announced Friday.

The stainless steel monument, designed by artist David Phillips, will be placed in front of the museum. The announcement was made on the same day former Mayor Marty Walsh proclaimed Leonard Nimoy Day in the city.

“The ‘live long and prosper’ symbol represents a message that my dad believed so strongly in,” his daughter, Julie Nimoy, said in a statement. “ ... The sculpture not only depicts one of the world’s most recognized and loved gestures for peace, tolerance, and diversity, but it will also be a beautiful tribute to my dad’s life and legacy.” ...

Nimoy, born in the West End just blocks from the museum, had a 60-year Hollywood career ...

The idea for the half-human, half-Vulcan’s hand gesture originated from Nimoy himself, who was inspired by an ancient blessing he saw in his synagogue as a youth, the museum said. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/marty-wa...eonard-nimoy-fd5f3e6d9c668278e7391e2998e35f4c

I saw him at a book signing about twenty years ago.
He took questions from the audience. Someone asked (and I'm paraphrasing) "Why does everyone hate Shatner?"
Nimoy replied (and I'm paraphrasing again) "Sometimes the answer to a question isn't as interesting as the reason it was asked."

He lived long, and prospered.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a trekkie, but Leonard Nimoy's loss affected me quite a bit. To me, he was more the star of the show than Shatner ever was.

I've only ever casually watched TOS, but having recently rewatched the Star Trek II, III & IV movies, which, you will recall, encompass a single extended story-arc, I'd say that the Kirk-Spock relationship was absolutely core: one without the other would not simply half the impact, it would decimate it.

Their friendship, reinforced by Spock's self-sacrifice and Kirk's loss (of his son), culminates in the the success of Kirk's Orphean Katabasis. It is only the raw sting of grief that sparks Kirk's anagnorisis, which in turns allows him to cast aside his vanity (his cool demeanour) and status (his rank and command) as mere trappings of life.

Kirk's humanity may be flawed (which is mirrored by the human scientists' use of unstable proto-matter), yet the presumption of Man in attempting to emulate divine Genesis and overcome death is ultimately rewarded owing to the beauty of his 'song' (Kirk's-Spock's-our shared story).

Kirk: [looking up from the planet surface to see the remains of the Enterprise burning up in the atmosphere] My God Bones, what have I done?​
McCoy: What you had to do, what you always do. Turned death into a fighting chance to live.​

Even once Hades and Persephone have released Spock to return to the living, it is his memory of his friendship with Jim that proves the key to regaining his identity.

af4f00ca48321fb026865c5a1772dafd.jpg

And what is most sci-fi today? CG explosions and bloody action figures.

I saw him at a book signing about twenty years ago.
He took questions from the audience. Some asked (and I'm paraphrasing) "Why does everyone hate Shatner?"
Nimoy replied (and I'm paraphrasing again) "Sometimes the answer to a question isn't as interesting as the reason it was asked."

He lived long, and prospered.
I was at one of those events, still have my autographed book somewhere!

I've only ever causally watched TOS, but having recently rewatched the Star Trek II, III & IV movies, which you recall encompass an extended story-arc, I'd say that the Kirk-Spock relationship was absolutely core: one without the other would not simply half the impact, it would decimate it.

Their friendship, reinforced by Spock's self-sacrifice and Kirk's loss (of his son), culminates in the the success of Kirk's Orphean Katabasis. It is only the raw sting of grief that sparks Kirk's anagnorisis, which in turns allows him to cast aside his vanity (his cool demeanour) and status (his rank and command) as mere trappings of life.

Kirk's humanity may be flawed (which is mirrored by the human scientists' use of unstable proto-matter), yet the presumption of Man in attempting to emulate divine Genesis and overcome death is ultimately rewarded owing to the beauty of his 'song' (Kirk's-Spock's-our shared story).

Kirk: [looking up from the planet surface to see the remains of the Enterprise burning up in the atmosphere] My God Bones, what have I done?​
McCoy: What you had to do, what you always do. Turned death into a fighting chance to live.​

Even once Hades and Persephone have released Spock to return to the living, it is his memory of his friendship with Jim that proves the key to regaining his identity.

View attachment 37358

And what is most sci-fi today? CG explosions and bloody action figures.
Classical education, eh? I'm absolutely sure there have been PhD theses.

And Nimoy also directed one of the most popular ST films - the Voyage Home. I don't think his acting was all that great, although we have to make allowances for the style of 60's TV, but he was a versatile artist. I had a business appointment with him once briefly and I spent the morning saying to myself "don't look at the ears, don't look at the ears."

And Nimoy also directed one of the most popular ST films - the Voyage Home. I don't think his acting was all that great, although we have to make allowances for the style of 60's TV, but he was a versatile artist. I had a business appointment with him once briefly and I spent the morning saying to myself "don't look at the ears, don't look at the ears."
[hushed tones] You met him?

Did you get his napkin? :p

Back