• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery Emerges As ‘UFO Is Spotted’ On The Other Side Of The Moon In Wild Video

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
UNIDENTIFIED flying objects have been spotted floating near the moon in footage posted to TikTok.

At least two white aircraft, one of which was notably smaller than the other, can apparently be seen in the video.

phone-home-mystery-emerges-ufo-818775838.jpg

Although one object remains static, another appears to disappear behind the celestial body

The devices come into view as the cameraman zooms in on a shot of the celestial body taken in broad daylight.

Although one aircraft appears to remain static in the roughly 30-second video, a smaller object can be seen disappearing behind the Moon.

It is unclear where the video was taken and if it may have been modified.

Video at link: https://www.the-sun.com/news/8160840/ufo-spotted-dark-side-moon-video-space/

maximus otter

UNIDENTIFIED flying objects have been spotted floating near the moon in footage posted to TikTok.

At least two white aircraft, one of which was notably smaller than the other, can apparently be seen in the video.

Although one object remains static, another appears to disappear behind the celestial body

The devices come into view as the cameraman zooms in on a shot of the celestial body taken in broad daylight.

Although one aircraft appears to remain static in the roughly 30-second video, a smaller object can be seen disappearing behind the Moon.

Video at link: https://www.the-sun.com/news/8160840/ufo-spotted-dark-side-moon-video-space/

maximus otter
Weird.

Fascinating: but I very much doubt whether it is genuine.

The improbable zoom range, contrast levels, movement...grudgingly I'm going with pseudorealistic CGI as the source.

Possibly Envelope with Blender Suite, or a modern version of something like Cinema4D / Softimage Creative Environment.

(Also- the scale is odd: both the depicted object(s) and the moon itself)

Fascinating: but I very much doubt whether it is genuine.

The improbable zoom range, contrast levels, movement...grudgingly I'm going with pseudorealistic CGI as the source.

Possibly Envelope with Blender Suite, or a modern version of something like Cinema4D / Softimage Creative Environment.

(Also- the scale is odd: both the depicted object(s) and the moon itself)
^^^ My thoughts exactly.

The object that approaches the moon disappears when it enters the bright edge. At which point the video conveniently stops. If it was genuine would the object have reappeared over the darker part of the moon, showing it was closer than claimed?

So many of these clips stop abruptly.

Here's the International Space Station in front of the Moon.

Bear in mind that the ISS is less than a thousand kilometers away, while the Moon is 384 thousand kilometers away. If the ISS were orbiting the Moon it would be invisible at this range.

thvuu9efrtq21.jpg

maximus otter
Probably fake, but the idea and the suggestive picture give me pleasant goose bumps. Thanks!

And since we are talking about scale and distance, here's a picture of the Moon rising over Roseberry Topping in Yorkshire.
1_SJR_MGA_170719_03.jpg

This picture, taken by Andrew Dawson, took two years of planning to execute.
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/stunning-picture-roseberry-topping-took-16600574

A bird at approximately the same distance might be visible as a small dot if you were lucky, but given the lighting conditions it would probably appear as a silhouette.
I've seen the Moon that large in the sky too, way back in the 70s. It was also reddish like that.

That's interesting. I've heard a few similar reports by other observers that say the same thing.

Here's a page by NASA that discusses the phenomenon; they don't really know the answer, so it is a real mystery.
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/1191/the-moon-illusion-why-does-the-moon-look-so-big-sometimes/
I recall that there was a lot of reddish dust everywhere, blown across all the way from the Sahara.
Also, I was standing at a point next to the South coast. There's a kind of lensing effect that occurs with heat rising off the sea.
The Moon looked so big to me that I could see details with the unaided eye.
It was a magical event to me.

@eburacum has just beaten me to this, but I'll post anyway as the article below uses the sky bowl analogy to explain the illusion which may be useful.

The moon illusion is a powerful one - the moon looking bigger nearer the horizon - explained here by @Twin_Star (account retired)

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-moon-looking-different-somehow.10030/page-3 who quotes a now dead link to a Sunday Times article: text copied below to save anyone interested time.

"A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
By Paul Simons

THE Moon will play a spectacular trick tonight: it will appear extraordinarily large, like a big glowing ball hanging low in the sky.
This is the world’s largest optical illusion, known as the Moon Illusion and comes from tonight’s full Moon hanging at its lowest point in the sky than any full Moon since June 1987.

Part of the reason for the low full Moon is because it comes only a day after the summer solstice, the time of year when the Moon is at its lowest and Sun at its highest in the sky.

Added to that, this year also coincides near the peak of a 18.6-year cycle of the Moon as it circles slightly eccentrically around the Earth — what astronomers called a “lunar standstill”, which means that the Moon is even lower.

Robert Massey, an astronomer at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, said: “There is something spectacular about this lunar standstill.

“It could be very nice with a good southern horizon, where you’ll see the Moon unusually large in the sky.”

Although the Moon appears large when it hugs the horizon this is a complete illusion — and here’s the proof.

When the Moon is on the horizon, hold out your arm and measure the Moon against your thumb. An hour or two later, when the Moon is slightly higher in the sky, it may seem to be smaller, but when you measure it against your thumb again it is exactly the same size. In fact, looking at the Moon through a cardboard tube will make the illusion vanish completely.

Why our eyes are tricked into believing that the Moon is larger than usual has been hotly debated since it was first written about 3,000 years ago by the Babylonians.

One reason, psychologists suggest, is that we see the sky as a flattened dome, with the zenith near and the horizon far away: birds flying overhead seem to be closer than birds flying on the horizon. Also, when the Moon is near the horizon, your brain miscalculates the Moon’s distance and size.

Another idea is that the brain interprets distances from clues on the horizon such as trees but is confused by greater distances, such as that between the Earth and the Moon, and over-compensates by making the Moon appear larger. Helen Ross, author of The Mystery of the Moon Illusion. says: “We judge size in relation to other sizes, but the apparent distance is much more difficult to understand.”

In fact it appears much smaller than almost anyone thinks, see how small an object held at arm's length you need to cover the disc. If anyone hasn't tried this you'll be surprised.

A bit off topic but once you've tried that you'll realise that if those ships are real they are fekkin' enormous. I think if not faked we have a Father Ted moment here and they are very close, very small (Not very big and very far away) and as @Erinaceus says get lost against the brighter areas of the moon disc looking as if they are vanishing behind the moon

Reminds me of the Sunday Sport's headline "WW2 bomber found on moon."

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en...e-restrictions-as-outlined-below/MEV-12478190

(Available to buy from the Mary Evans picture library from this link!)

When an enraged astronomer sent in a photo disproving this (Really? I doubt there were 'scopes big enough to see it - mabe an orbiter photo?) The Sport responded with a headline "WW2 bomber vanishes from Moon."
That same story (at least the first half) ran in the American Weekly World News. Back then it ran less totally fictitious news, and was more of a "somebody said this and we won't question it" publication.

I recall that there was a lot of reddish dust everywhere, blown across all the way from the Sahara.
Also, I was standing at a point next to the South coast. There's a kind of lensing effect that occurs with heat rising off the sea.
It was a magical event to me.
I don't recall ever seeing it here, but many times have seen a very large moon rising over these mountains (red) in Saudi Arabia, from the Egypt side.
I wonder if, as you mention, that the heat is a factor in this?

You can certainly see why the moon is so important in Islam and Judaism.

(The mountains themselves are pretty amazing as they change colour throughout the day- fantastic pinks/reds/purples etc).
Dahab.jpg

There's a kind of lensing effect that occurs with heat rising off the sea.
I don't recall ever seeing it here, but many times have seen a very large moon rising over these mountains (red) in Saudi Arabia, from the Egypt side.
I wonder if, as you mention, that the heat is a factor in this?
While there may be something to the idea of heat making the Moon look bigger, it is well known that the Moon usually seems to be bigger near the horizon. While there is some debate over why this is, it most likely has to do with seeing it in relation to known objects (trees, buildings) that are relatively far away versus seeing it in a huge empty sky.

While there may be something to the idea of heat making the Moon look bigger, it is well known that the Moon usually seems to be bigger near the horizon. While there is some debate over why this is, it most likely has to do with seeing it in relation to known objects (trees, buildings) that are relatively far away versus seeing it in a huge empty sky.
Yes, when I saw it I was standing on a clifftop overlooking the sea. All I could see was 'horizon'.

Back