Necrolog (Deaths Of Folks Who Had Impact On The Fortean World)

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
Reaction score
My son and I were discussing U2 the other day; isn't odd how they can sell out these massive stadiums, but neither of us has ever met anyone who really likes them.

Where do all the U2 fans hide?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
My son and I were discussing U2 the other day; isn't odd how they can sell out these massive stadiums, but neither of us has ever met anyone who really likes them.

Where do all the U2 fans hide?
America mostly ... same as fans of Sting ..

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I loved Henry Rollins early spoken word rant at Bono. I have copied a clip of it here:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
America mostly ... same as fans of Sting ..
Excuuuuse me! I've never known a single person who liked U2 after 1983. Or Sting's solo work, for that matter. Well, maybe a few people liked The Joshua Tree, but they wouldn't dare admit to it now. Bono's reputation as a sanctimonious prat is retroactive.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Excuuuuse me! I've never known a single person who liked U2 after 1983. Or Sting's solo work, for that matter. Well, maybe a few people liked The Joshua Tree, but they wouldn't dare admit to it now. Bono's reputation as a sanctimonious prat is retroactive.
Sorry then, I'm clearly confusing the early 90's with nowadays Ulalume :p ..

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Landau was an excellent understated Commander Koenig. For me, anything else he did was just secondary to that.

The whole Space:1999 style, of an edgy unhurried/unexaggerated grandeur, was either set by him, or he just knew exactly how the role had to be played.

I think that both the series, and Landau, deserve much more acclaim and credit than they have received so far.

I always had the impression that Space:1999, as offered to us, was like one amazing chocolate from a box we could never properly investigate. Dark, deeper layers were hinted at, as were sweeter highlights...but as with much in the series (and with Landau) plenty was confidently-implied and left to your imagination.

Is it death that gives a meaning to life in the end?
If there is an end...

This is Moonbase Alpha out...

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Another familiar face gone
Mission: Impossible star Landau dies
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionMr Landau died after "unexpected complications" from a hospital visit
The actor Martin Landau, best known for roles in the TV series Mission: Impossible and 1960s blockbusters like Cleopatra, has died, aged 89.

His publicist Dick Guttman confirmed the death, saying: "We are overcome with sadness."

Mr Landau won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1995 for portraying the horror movie star Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood.

He died on Saturday in Los Angeles of "unexpected complications" following a hospital visit.
etc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40627982

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Martin Landau was a stalwart of science fiction and horror, and made a lot of cheapo examples in his wilderness years, but I too first knew him as Commander Koenig, and he won an Oscar for a brilliant performance as Bela Lugosi, another psychotronic star who had his wilderness years but unlike Landau never recovered from them. Landau was also nearly Mr Spock on Star Trek! RIP.

Draheste

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Space 1999 or Cosmos 1999 as it was called on French TV in the 70's, was one of our favourites series my sister, cousins and I. We used to climb apple trees and pretend they were Eagles going on scary planets. My youngest cousin was inevitably the monster!
I liked the actors, especially the Professor I found funny at the time. RIP Martin Landau. His name means Pram in french and that made me laugh too!

dreeness .

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Space 1999 or Cosmos 1999 as it was called on French TV in the 70's, was one of our favourites series my sister, cousins and I. We used to climb apple trees and pretend they were Eagles going on other planet. My youngest cousin was inevitably the monster!
I liked the actors, especially the Professor I found funny at the time. RIP Martin Landau. His name means Pram in french and that made me laugh too!
When I was living in Toronto, the actor who played the Professor (Barry Morse) lived downtown. He was working on various television shows as a narrator and also he did a lot of voice work. He used to ride his old bike all over the place at night, he was very popular with everybody, very charismatic.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
When I was living in Toronto, the actor who played the Professor (Barry Morse) lived downtown. He was working on various television shows as a narrator and also he did a lot of voice work. He used to ride his old bike all over the place at night, he was very popular with everybody, very charismatic.
I see that for a while before he moved to Canada, Barry Morse lived in Peterborough, UK. Interesting to me as I lived there about 16 years ago.