• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New Thunderbirds Series For ITV

Yes, had another look just there and that appears to be the case (in among the many repeats). Only half an hour long, too.

Haven't seen it yet, but have watched clips etc on YouTube. They have murdered Barry Gray's 21st Century March, and I can't forgive that. Thankfully, someone's put together some clips with the original score:

I suppose the web is boiling with the disgruntled fury of middle-aged blokes moaning 'It's not like the old days'.
But it's worth remembering that nostalgia's not what it used to be. Those clips and old shows you see on youtube never match the memory and excitement they generated back then.

Having said that, there is a reason why Thunderbirds and the Supermarionation output was so good. Anderson was pushing for a decent budget and casts of good actors. Every series he did was crafted to say...Look...I can do this with nothing. He did some unforgettable TV try to reach a goal. Even though the shows had their faults, it was the very best he could do.

You can't help comparing that to the lacklustre starting point of a company saying, 'That was popular, let's remake it'.

Yeah, I get suspicious myself of the good old days talk when it comes to entertainment, though much of the remake industry of the past twenty years has proven difficult to support objectively. That said, I do think this Thunderbirds remake has been created with love and respect, a lot more than the alternative, both eyes on the profits method it could have been as too many cash-ins are. The theme tune, mind you...

.. what in the name of all that's holy is going on with Brains? That accent? Punjabi, Welsh, or South African? Or all three in one sentence..
Turns out he's meant to be Indian (fast becoming the go-to ethnicity for fictional super-bright nerds.) Bizarrely, it also transpires he's voiced by Kayvan Novak, who's brilliant at voices, esp south Asian ones, so what's he playing at here?

I'm quite enjoying this, not cool to say, but I did like the ninja Parker in the latest episode. Still wondering who's running the show now Jeff has scarpered.

I have seen the pilot episode, and I thought it was dire. Not just in that it wasn't Thunderbirds the way I remember it, it was just badly made.

Hooray, the Mole makes its first appearance as deus ex machinery! I know what's missing from this, though, it's the original "This episode" theme music, they should have updated that too.

My wish was their command, the "This episode" music was in last week's episode! I don't think I'd get on a Fireflash plane, to be honest, and not just because of the name.

If that's THE Sandra Dickinson as Granny Tracy, how come she sounds like Peter Falk?

Also, the Thunderbirds vehicles must travel so fast to get around the world they'd be demolishing buildings as they went by with massive sonic booms.

captain.png

Was that it then? Doesn't seem to be on this Saturday. Must say, I gave it a chance and I'm glad I did, I've enjoyed it. The last episode featured a Supreme Hadron Collider which may interest some here, though not the possibly unscientific gravity well it created to crash satellites and planes.

Any chance of another series or was it grumbled to death?

I was very impressed - I was ready to hate it, but it was witty, self referential, followed the puppet aesthetic very well, had some nice updates and followed the spirit very nicely. Mind you in this world everyone knows about IR, so why still all have those contrived launch methods? :D

It contrasts nicely with New Captain Scarlett, which went down the realism route and was, basically, fantastic.

As an aside has anyone ever noticed that Thunderbirds and Terrahawks are in the same universe, whereas Captain Scarlett cannot be?

Unless Zelda is pals with the Mysterons, maybe? Yeah, New Captain Scarlet was good as well, in the case of New Thunderbirds I realty liked the miniature landscapes, and also they had an explanation for why John is stuck in space all years round (rather than Gerry never liking the look of his puppet).

Nice Space: 1999 theme to this week's episode, except there was only one person on the moonbase. And it was Rich Hall! Wait, what?

Nice to hear Sylvia Anderson as "Lady Sylvia" getting in on the action on Saturday's episode. Written by David Baddiel too.

This was back on ITV this afternoon, much the same as last series, so if you liked it then you'll like it now. I appreciated that they put every character in the opening episode so we could remember who everyone was - but was Jenna Coleman a new addition to the voice cast? Nice to hear her, anyway. New baddie: the Mechanic. Presumably he overcharges the Tracys for replacement parts for their vehicles, the scoundrel.

I suppose the web is boiling with the disgruntled fury of middle-aged blokes moaning 'It's not like the old days'.
But it's worth remembering that nostalgia's not what it used to be.
That's a real effect. We for the most part are designed to see the past as rose-tinted and inevitably one has to reach a certain age to be able to look back on anything.

I have a sneaking feeling it's to do with old memories being modified with the mood when they are recalled (so one might recall the old days when with family or good friends, 'happy times') and while I can't prove it, I suspect that people who move a lot during their childhood are less prone to this effect and there is work showing higher incidences of mental problems among people who've move a lot as children, especially during or around adolescence. So unhappy memories might not be so effectively reduced and that in turn affects adult mood and behaviour.

Actually I believe they do use models and mix them with CGI animation (mostly for the characters). I agree, it's very pleasing and colourful, and I imagine it's how Gerry Anderson would have approached the series had he still been around (his CGI Captain Scarlet remake is underrated, and sadly forgotten).

Excellent reveal in the pre-credits sequence this week! Is it the Arctic? Not exactly...

Sandra Dickinson was on Pointless Celebrities tonight, and mentioned Thunderbirds! She said she does a deeper voice for Granny Tracy, and she did sound more like her helium-voiced self on the quiz. But why hire Sandra Dickinson and get her to do a deep voice?!

Oh, and she got a Thunderbirds question right. And Richard Osman pointed out that Parker is a very appropriate name for a chauffeur - all these years and I never got the pun...

...And Richard Osman pointed out that Parker is a very appropriate name for a chauffeur - all these years and I never got the pun...
Ha! Guessing that like me you sat there and went "Aaahh! Bloody hell......"

Sandra Dickinson was on Pointless Celebrities tonight, and mentioned Thunderbirds! She said she does a deeper voice for Granny Tracy, and she did sound more like her helium-voiced self on the quiz. But why hire Sandra Dickinson and get her to do a deep voice?!
I recall her being on Blankety-Blank and Kenny Everett ragged her so hard about her voice being put on, including mimicking it, she eventually told him to 'something' off in a normal voice...he got her.

Ha! Guessing that like me you sat there and went "Aaahh! Bloody hell......"

Precise-a-bloody-lutely. It's subtle hidden jokes like that, which are often totally invisible to me.

In that particular case, evidently, for nearly half a century....:bear:

I can (sometimes...) solve the most fiendishly-complicated puzzles/riddles, yet be oblivious to the obvious.

I recall her being on Blankety-Blank and Kenny Everett ragged her so hard about her voice being put on, including mimicking it, she eventually told him to 'something' off in a normal voice...he got her.

I wonder if Kenny was inspired to create a certain character with a Spoonerism moniker? Or her voice, anyway.

Parker is a very appropriate name for a chauffeur - all these years and I never got the pun...

Really? Even after all those playground Parker jokes and tongue-twisters?

Back