Nominative Determinism

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I'm between a rock and a hard plaice.
People always expect me to join in.
"Eel do it just for the halibut" they'd say.
But no, I'd mullet over first.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on a page for Leyland in Facebook. It quotes an old article about wells underneath a pub The Gables.

Someone mentioned that a part of the street Towngate used to be called Damp Street. A poster said that her grandad was a 'well engineer'. His name was George Damp.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Adolf Hitler wins election.

A politician named after Adolf Hitler has won a seat at a Namibian election - but says he has no plans for world domination.

36391984-9013447-image-m-4_1606987866505.jpg

Adolf Hitler Uunona was elected with 85 per cent of the vote in the former German colony, which is still home to a small German-speaking community and where a number of streets, places and people still bear German names.

After winning the seat on the ticket of the ruling SWAPO party - which has ruled Namibia since independence from apartheid South Africa in 1990 - the politician told Bild that he had 'nothing to do with' Nazi ideology.

'My father named me after this man. He probably didn't understand what Adolf Hitler stood for,' his namesake said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...named-Adolf-Hitler-wins-election-Namibia.html

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Of course he keeps the name, it's on his credit cards.

Is this the same Adolf Hitler who appeared in an advert in the first issue of FT I ever bought, saying he was "back in business" or words to that effect? Looks like him, but it would be even more bizarre if there were more than one. Er, two.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Perhaps his father was thinking along similar lines to the father in 'A Boy Named Sue'.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
There was a couple in Devon with the surname Littler, who really fancied naming their new baby Lyle - despite pleas from relatives. The parents just simply could not foresee what would happen in the school playground to a kid called Lyle Littler.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There was a couple in Devon with the surname Littler, who really fancied naming their new baby Lyle - despite pleas from relatives. The parents just simply could not foresee what would happen in the school playground to a kid called Lyle Littler.
Took me a minute! :rollingw:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I was just watching the Kingsman 2 film on telly and did a search for the real tailor shop that is featured in the film - Huntsman Savile Row.
Their prices are out of this world, as one might expect.
Anyway - I was looking at their website and came across this lady (Magdalena Handwerker, who is one of the cloth cutters):
https://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/the-team/the-cutters/
'Handwerker' is a Germanic version of 'hand worker'. How about that!

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Am a craftsperson in residence at a museum and also I write for magazines etc using different names, most usually combining my real first name with my grandma's surname so it is sort of my name, but also sort of not. I write about textile history but also regularly do craft how tos - things like natural dyeing and weaving and travelled round the UK in the Before Times, as a teacher of various textile arts including dyeing and weaving.

My (real) first name means "weaver" and my (real) second name means "dyer"...

I wasn't particularly thinking about this at the time I started working in the field, it did indeed sort of happen slowly over years.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Scientist predicted a man named ‘Elon’ would colonise Mars in book written 70 years ago

Writing in his 1952 science fiction novel "
Project Mars", engineer Wernher von Braun described a man called "Elon" who ruled over the Red Planet.

220px-Wernher_von_Braun_1960.jpg

One passage of the book – a fantasy blueprint for a human expedition to Mars – details that "a Martian government was created, led by ten men".

Those men worked under a leader "elected by universal suffrage for five years under the name or title of Elon."

Von Braun was one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century and a key figure in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany.

Following World War 2, he was secretly moved to the United States and became a pioneer of space technology for Nasa.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/14881853/predict-man-elon-colonise-mars-book/

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Scientist predicted a man named ‘Elon’ would colonise Mars in book written 70 years ago

Writing in his 1952 science fiction novel "
Project Mars", engineer Wernher von Braun described a man called "Elon" who ruled over the Red Planet.

220px-Wernher_von_Braun_1960.jpg

One passage of the book – a fantasy blueprint for a human expedition to Mars – details that "a Martian government was created, led by ten men".

Those men worked under a leader "elected by universal suffrage for five years under the name or title of Elon."

Von Braun was one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century and a key figure in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany.

Following World War 2, he was secretly moved to the United States and became a pioneer of space technology for Nasa.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/14881853/predict-man-elon-colonise-mars-book/

maximus otter
WernherVonBraunProjectMars.jpg

GerdaWordyer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Presuming, hoping, that "Leigh King" would be a good candidate for the local water board, I almost voted for her. But I knew nothing about her stances as a candidate, so I stoppered my joke vote impulse. This is TX, she might have been a horror.