• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

Career criminal locked up for house burglaries

A career criminal again caught breaking into homes has been put behind bars for three years four months.

A court heard that Andrew Crimes has committed 71 previous offences, the majority for dishonesty including many house burglaries.

His latest offences - all but one nvolving targeting homes with uvpc doors - mean it was the third time he had been classed as a “third strike burglar” facing an automatic minimum three year jail term.

etc

But for one letter, he could have had a career fitting alarms.

Andrew Chimes - bellringer
Andrew Crimps - hairdresser.
Andrew Primes - mathematician
Andrew Crises - Disaster Management

I was reading up on lot's daughters and found this..

....A number of commentators describe the actions of Lot's daughters as rape. Esther Fuchs suggests that the text presents Lot's daughters as the "initiators and perpetrators of the incestuous 'rape'...

And the daughter of one of them was called MOAB.

Perhaps Lot thought she was the best bang since the Big one.

INT21

That's a lot to take on board.

Or for that matter ...
salmon.jpg

Admittedly not an example of N.D at all, but if this chap (who worked on Seinfeld, inter alia) ever fancies a change from editing I'm very confident our local council will be happy to sort him out with a job, ho ho! *groan*.

Seinfeld editor.jpg

Not really a case of nominative determinism but I recently came across this chap:

Sorjoo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty.

Of Anglo-Indian descent, he made a few recordings as a cinema organist in the 1930s, where he is credited simply as Oliphant Chuckerbutty.

Chuckerbutty was a name frequently used for comic effect by Sir Ken Dodd. I had assumed it was made up, though thinking about it, I'd guess it's just a variant transliteration of Chakrabarti. I see he had a grandfather who went by the name of Goodeve Chuckerbutty, so the family had some form when it came to striking names. :loveu:

... I see he had a grandfather who went by the name of Goodeve Chuckerbutty, so the family had some form when it came to striking names. :loveu:

I'm not sure about the precise family relations involved (I can't keep my Chuckerbutty's straight! ...), but this ancestry.com listing:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=34&gsln=Chuckerbutty&gsln_x=XO

... indicates the spellings 'Gordeve' and 'Goodene' were also in play.

This listing includes an 'Icy Chuckerbutty', but a separate entry with the same cited date of death suggests this is a misspelling of 'Ivy'.

If I were to be retro-incarnated as one of the clan who passed away in 1923, I think I'd have insisted on initial-izing my first name and inviting gapes by introducing myself as 'S. Chunder Chuckerbutty'. :wacky:

Here's an overview article on nominative determinism. This is the first time I've seen the label 'aptronym' for the sort of name / situation coincidences cited here.

Having the right name at the right, or sometimes wrong, time
... When reporters descended on upstate New York to ask about a stunning prison break in 2015, state police spokesman Major Charles Guess took their questions.

A dog named Trigger stepped on his owner’s 12-gauge shotgun during an Indiana waterfowl hunt just months later and shot her in the foot.

Sometimes the name fits the news story. Correspondent Julie Weed writes about legal marijuana for Forbes. This month, a front-page New York Times story on obesity was edited by Hilary Stout.

And former U.S. Representative Anthony Weiner on Monday was sentenced to prison for sending explicitly sexual pictures of a certain body part to an underage girl.

This phenomenon has secured its own line of scientific research, called nominative determinism. It even has a name of its own: aptronym. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...e-right-or-sometimes-wrong-time-idUSKCN1C425Q

Chuckerbutty was a name frequently used for comic effect by Sir Ken Dodd. I had assumed it was made up, though thinking about it, I'd guess it's just a variant transliteration of Chakrabarti. I see he had a grandfather who went by the name of Goodeve Chuckerbutty, so the family had some form when it came to striking names. :loveu:

'Chucklebutty' is a Northern endearment (as you'll know!) which I'm sometimes called by an old friend. So it's all Sir Ken's fault, is it?

I really do have an in law called Mike Hunt. He wasn't a gynaecologist, though. His mother was very christian and naive and had no idea what she was doing, when she named him. He is called "Mike" or "Mick" interchangeably.

Oh dear... from the Bristol Post

..Barry, aged 56, denies murdering Mr Ahmed in July last year but has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. A jury at Bristol Crown Court has heard police found Mr Ahmed’s body in his room, with his severed penis lying next to him..
Dr Susanne Willie, a consultant psychiatrist who visited Barry some eight times between November 2015 and May last year, said she was aware Barry had come off a calming drug due to it having adverse physical effects..

There is Crystal Optometrists in Edinburgh. I had always assumed the name was just picked to denote the clear lenses they produce but no, the optometrists are a Mr and Mrs Crystal. Cool eh?

Similar thing with the Hi Fi retailers Richer Sounds. I think the boss is called Julian Richer.

Last edited:
Its a fair cop guv.

An Indonesian construction worker has landed a job in a police station, all because of his name.

The man, called Polisi - which is Indonesian for "Police" - was fined by traffic cops for riding a motorcycle without a licence in Pasuruan, East Java, Tribunnews website reported.

But after a photo of his identity card went viral on social media, local officers "adopted" him as their celebrity mascot, eventually buying him a driving licence and offering him an office job in their station house, Merdeka.com said.

Polisi, who like many Indonesians goes by a single name, said that he didn't expect it to bring him good luck.

He joins the likes of God, Satan, and Go To School as Indonesians with noteworthy names.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-42080188

Back