• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I think _______ made the money pit

• Captain Kidd (privateer)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Gangs Of Pirates (Thar be booty in that pit, arrr)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • The French (just to spite english or americans after their gold)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The Vikings (the viking settle ment of vinland it thought to be on the nova scotia coast, which is w

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The Spanish (If you're worried about prirates and you've lost a lot of ships to a recent raid by the

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • British Navy (on the run with lots of lovely treasure after/dureing the american war of independance

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Native Americans (dosen't fit with the artifacts found but native americans could theoreticly have m

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aliens (Aparently they made the pyramids too :rolleyes: )

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Another Theory?

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • The Templars (after escaping from La Rochelle)

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
The S.O.P. for the correct and valuable recording of finds is to pick a location and scrape the whole selected area, centimeter by centimeter, until you locate anything. If, say, a bone or coin is found, then it's kept in place and cleaned around until it sits on top of it's own little pile of dirt. Photographs are taken, measurements (depth etc.) recorded and then the item is moved to be cleaned further and cataloged.
What shouldn't happen is that when your detector goes beep, you dig down until the metal fragment appears on your trowel. You've lost context. I don't watch the show, to be honest, so I don't know if the stars ... er ... searchers do this. I've always had a fascination with the Money Pit Mystery, and would be interested in a good and non-speculative history of it. So much of it has been lost over the decades - including potential clues - and makes a convincing solution unlikely
Connor, D.
The Secret Treasure of Oak Island.

That is said to be the most objective account of the years prior to the current activity.

As I understand it, Gary is only allowed to detect in places that are not already thought to be of archaeological interest. He goes over it with his detector and flags hits. Then Laird gives the go ahead for hits to be dug up.

I spotted something from Episode 20, Season 10 that I think you might find interesting.
Its a shot of metallurgist Emma Culligan at her desk. If you look closely you can see the spine of a book laying flat. The books title is De Re Metallica (latin for On The Nature of Metals). This book was published in 1556 and is a treatise on the art of mining and was a standard mining textbook for nearly 200 years.

Is Emma trying to sneakily send us a message that the Money Pit is really just early unrecorded mining activity?

Attachments

• Emma Culligan.png
    Emma Culligan.png
    700.9 KB · Views: 10
I spotted something from Episode 20, Season 10 that I think you might find interesting.
Its a shot of metallurgist Emma Culligan at her desk. If you look closely you can see the spine of a book laying flat. The books title is De Re Metallica (latin for On The Nature of Metals). This book was published in 1556 and is a treatise on the art of mining and was a standard mining textbook for nearly 200 years.

Is Emma trying to sneakily send us a message that the Money Pit is really just early unrecorded mining activity?
There's a theory floating around that it was a knob who thought he hit gold in the area, only for it to turn out to be fool's gold. Like I said, just a theory floating around but really, I can't see as anyone would bother setting up such a large scale mining industry on such a small island, makes more sense to use for concealing something.

https://www.oakislandmystery.com/the-mystery/popular-theories/old-pyrite-mine

There's a theory floating around that it was a knob who thought he hit gold in the area, only for it to turn out to be fool's gold. Like I said, just a theory floating around but really, I can't see as anyone would bother setting up such a large scale mining industry on such a small island, makes more sense to use for concealing something.

https://www.oakislandmystery.com/the-mystery/popular-theories/old-pyrite-mine
I would recommend Gordon Fader and Joy Steele's book The Oak Island Mystery Solved, The Final Chapter. The programme mentions loads of theories about Oak Island yet never mention this one strangely....

I can't get too excited about searches for gold but the possibility that the Templars were involved in some clandestine activity on the island is far more interesting. The unexpected links with (for example) the Palace of Versailles and Portugal. The ridiculous way the pit was discovered, with a sign reading (in effect) treasure this way, suggests a diversion away from something more interesting!

Has the Templar fleet which apparently left La Rochelle been mentioned in this thread?

Has the Templar fleet which apparently left La Rochelle been mentioned in this thread?
It's definitely been mentioned on the TV show.

And in fact it's the last option on the poll at the start of this thread.

I can't get too excited about searches for gold but the possibility that the Templars were involved in some clandestine activity on the island is far more interesting. The unexpected links with (for example) the Palace of Versailles and Portugal. The ridiculous way the pit was discovered, with a sign reading (in effect) treasure this way, suggests a diversion away from something more interesting!

Yeah - we've pretty much given up on them finding any significant treasure. I think it was found by McGuinness, Samual Ball, et al when the pit was first discovered.

I'm in it for the mystery now - what the hell was going on, on that island? The archaeology has been the most interesting part about the show for years now. Though I am interested in what the outcome of the Garden Shaft work will be.

Yeah - we've pretty much given up on them finding any significant treasure. I think it was found by McGuinness, Samual Ball, et al when the pit was first discovered.

I'm in it for the mystery now - what the hell was going on, on that island? The archaeology has been the most interesting part about the show for years now. Though I am interested in what the outcome of the Garden Shaft work will be.

I agree with this 98% except I'm not sure there was ever treasure to be found. In very loose timeline terms (re: from my memory and 12 seasons of COOI) the Europeans used the eastern coast of Canada extensively during this time, that much is well known. By the time Samuel Ball came 'round, the British were using the island. and by the end of the American revolution, James Anderson defects from the American side to the British, settles in Nova Scotia to do his privateering and so on and by 1790, Ball is a wealthy landowner on Oak Island and the mainland....I think Ball and Anderson had some kind of partnership at some point i.e. Anderson dropped off some of his loot to Ball on Oak Island to hide and keep safe. When Anderson was done, he sold his land and vamoosed leaving Sammy with a fortune.

But all the other weird stuff - the swamp, the pits, the archaeology....what the hell were people doing? That's what I want to know.

Marty and co are now exploring the so called Alladin's Cave. Is it my imagination or did the team perform a seismic study of the area using explosives about 4 or 5 years ago to find aby subsurface cavities?

Marty and co are now exploring the so called Alladin's Cave. Is it my imagination or did the team perform a seismic study of the area using explosives about 4 or 5 years ago to find aby subsurface cavities?
They did. They've also had a muon scan done that has shown more detail.

And what was that about?

Here's a link to what Muon Tomography is. It has been used in Egypt recently to scan the Great Pyramid. It is the technology that discovered the massive void over the Grand Gallery.

The same tech has been used on Oak Island to scan the money pit area. Personally all I think it has found are naturally occurring caves.

This Website has some pictures of the scans (sorry the website is full of ads).

;0)

Scott Wolter wants big bucks for his secrets.

In a lengthy recent interview, former America Unearthed host Scott Wolter said he is releasing a censored copy of his new book with blacked-out maps and missing evidence until The Curse of Oak Island television series either pays him for the “millions of dollars in content” he says his book is worth, or the show is cancelled. Wolter said he tried contacting the History Channel’s top-rated series ahead of the mid-April publication of Oak Island, Knights Templar, and the Holy Grail: Secrets of "the Underground Project" Revealed in the hope of appearing on the show. He said that from a “financial perspective” using the show to promote his book would benefit him; however, Curse producers were not interested. As a result, Wolter decided to black out images of “evidence” in his book, including maps, and censor some of the content because he fears Curse will use his work without paying him for it.

The statements begin around the 1:40:00 mark in the video below. ...

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/...al-oak-island-secrets-without-a-big-tv-payday

Scott Wolter wants big bucks for his secrets.

In a lengthy recent interview, former America Unearthed host Scott Wolter said he is releasing a censored copy of his new book with blacked-out maps and missing evidence until The Curse of Oak Island television series either pays him for the “millions of dollars in content” he says his book is worth, or the show is cancelled. Wolter said he tried contacting the History Channel’s top-rated series ahead of the mid-April publication of Oak Island, Knights Templar, and the Holy Grail: Secrets of "the Underground Project" Revealed in the hope of appearing on the show. He said that from a “financial perspective” using the show to promote his book would benefit him; however, Curse producers were not interested. As a result, Wolter decided to black out images of “evidence” in his book, including maps, and censor some of the content because he fears Curse will use his work without paying him for it.

The statements begin around the 1:40:00 mark in the video below. ...

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/...al-oak-island-secrets-without-a-big-tv-payday

Wolter is a boob. If he's such a smart guy, why hasn't he figured out that no one would buy a book about Oak Island that has deleted information and blacked out maps. Hurr dee durrr

They did, I believe in 2 separate seasons. Most of the "scientific" work they contracted didn't have a whole lot of information.

Whats the geology of Oak island?
Apparently, made up of four 'Drumlins!' (lines of hills) - and "no," I've never heard of that geological terminology before either! :)
("I should have - as it's both a Scottish & Irish word!")

Back