• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Light Bulb Behaviour?

DanielShekinah

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In 1989, soon after I’d graduated, circumstances forced me back home to live with my parents. I was earning money from a sequence of boring temporary jobs, and it was not the happiest time of my life.

One night as I lay in bed, I couldn’t sleep. Each time I closed my eyes and had almost drifted off there’d be some slight noise from inside my bedroom or from the landing: a slight creak, as the staircase settled; or a quiet shuffle as some object or piece of furniture in my room contracted in the cool of evening.

None of these sounds convinced me it had a cause beyond the ordinary – until they persisted, eventually snapping me back into wakefulness from the threshold of sleep so frequently, and with such accuracy, that I started to sense some kind of malevolent presence in the room. It began to feel as if there was an invisible being nearby, determined to prevent me from getting any rest.

I turned over onto my back, sighed, and for the umpteenth time that night tried to convince myself this was nonsense. I let my eyes wander randomly about the semi-darkened room, and they happened to settle on the light bulb hanging from the ceiling-lamp.

That was when something strange happened. No sooner had I looked at the bulb, suddenly it dropped from the lamp onto the carpet.

I’d never seen this happen to a light bulb before – and have never seen it since. It was an ordinary 100 watt ‘bayonet’ bulb, but had suddenly slipped from its fixture onto the floor. I was shocked, and more than a little scared, because the sense of a malevolent presence had now intensified. It felt as if, by affecting the very object I’d been looking at, the presence was telling me: ‘Yes. I am here. And I can do whatever I like.’

More astonishment followed when I got out of bed and examined the bulb, because I discovered it wasn’t the whole bulb – as I’d supposed – which had fallen, but only its glass casing. The filament and base were still secure in the ceiling socket.

I’d always supposed there was a vacuum inside a light bulb. In which case, wouldn’t the casing have shattered if it was breached? Examining the glass, it looked as if it’d been cut around its circumference, a few millimetres above the base. The cut was a fairly clean line, but not completely so.

I went to the light switch and turned it on. The bulb’s exposed filament had survived the removal of the glass and burnt brightly for a second before it oxidised and died.

There were no more dramatic incidents that night. The sense of malevolence subsided afterwards, although I was still fairly scared. At last, eventually, sleep came.

I have no explanation for the self-circumcising bulb, except coincidence. Perhaps this is something that sometimes happens to light bulbs, and it was just coincidence that it occurred as I happened to be watching. But I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience of glass spontaneously detaching from a bulb without shattering – just so I can completely rule out the ‘malevolent presence’ and sleep more soundly at night!

Duncan.

Yes, I've had a lightbulb fall from its fitting in similar circumstances, although it was the whole bulb rather than the glass. It happened about 8 years ago.

The lightbulb itself had not been touched since I'd fitted it and it must have been in place a number of months. I don't know why it fell when it did, I must not have fitted it properly in the first place.

I had just switched the light off and was about to get into bed when I decided to shut my bedroom window. Just after I had shut the window I heard a slight thud. My bedroom door was shut at the time and for some reason I assumed the noise had come from the hallway rather than in my bedroom. I walked over to the light switch only to find that the light would not come on.

I went very quickly into an irrational panic mode, a number of things went through my head but the one I assumed was happening was that a) someone was in my flat and b) they had switched the electrics off in order to carry out some surprise attack on me... or something. Like I say, I was being quite irrational.

I used to keep a rounders bat in my bedroom so I made my way in the dark over to where I kept it. On the way to the other side of the room, my foot kicked something, it was the lightbulb, which I found later to be unbroken and the filament was still intact. I had not walked into it from when I crossed from the window to the lightswitch even though it would have been in my path.

As it was still warm I realised that it had fallen from the fitting, a breath of relief was expressed as well as numerous cursings although I still grabbed the bat just in case and did a search of the flat after I had re-fitted the bulb in my bedroom.

I had the entire glass part of the bulb drop out (with the filament still intact inside) leaving the metal cap in the socket. I also had a neat circle of glass drop out of the bottom of a light bulb as the filament blew.

That's when I stopped buying ultra-cheap light bulbs in the bargin shop.

A few years back, I also had a bayonet light-bulb drop from the hall landing, bounce downstairs and remain intact on the kitchen floor. It had been undisturbed for months and worked perfectly - before and after, iirc. So far as I could tell, it would only work when properly seated in the holder.

I was baffled but it was an isolated incident and did not signal a series of poltergeist-like activities, worse luck. :(

I have experienced this kind of thing about 3 times. However, on each occasion the bulb was intact when it fell out.
On the first occasion, I was aged about 12, and was lying on the lounge carpet reading a book under the light. For no reason, the bulb fell out, narrowly missing my head.
I guess this is just due to expansion and contraction of metals caused by heating and cooling, but it's a little difficult to understand in the case of bayonet fittings. Easier to understand with screw thread lightbulbs.

A few weeks ago the glass cover on our hallway fixture fall down go boom (actually go shatter)--never did figure out how the screws worked themselves loose.

We also have had a lightbulb detach itself very neatly from its base. we put it down to cheap lightbulbs, or possibly poor electrics as some time later the light fixture started to smell like burnt plactic and upon removing current light bulb we found that the light fixture was charred. Perhaps poor electrics might cause heat on the wrong places which might weaken the glass of the bulb?

Whilst the original post is mainly about the light bulb, I'd like to say that I frequently get the occurrences you mention at the start of the post - i.e. noises right at the very point I am about to drop off to sleep.

What is frustrating about them is the fact that they seem to precisely hit that very point where you are at the instant of dropping off! I realise this because as I am startled awake I realise I had just become unconcious of being awake, but not yet dreaming.

Such noises will be e.g. chavs shouting in the street (not that odd), something in the area of my window going CRACK! really loudly, something in my hall going CRACK! really loudly (i.e. these are as loud as if a fairly sizable stone had hit the window) or perhaps my alarm clock will make a really subtle click. Though subtle this noise springs me awake because it is the very click that it makes a fraction of a second before the alarm goes off. There are others but these are typical. What appears "odd" is not so much the noises but the precise timing.

This to me has no particular malevolent feel to it, however if it keeps happening I consider whether I am being "nudged" to get up and do something more important, so often go and continue with a book I am presently reading etc.

Pffft. :lol:

Duncan - Do not think the light bulb seperating incident is any more than coincidence - the glass is seperate and is glued to the metal part. It is feasible that the glue allowed the vacuum to release slowly before letting go completely.
Maybe just a pretty sub standard brand of bulb.

Your other feelings of creepiness may be open to ideas though.
You may see a posting elsewhere about things experienced in our house over the years. What you describe is kind of familiar to my wife & I: Very often - almost always on a Sunday night we both find it difficult to sleep - less often , the kids too. A small noise will occur just as one of us dozes off. We both descibe it as if the house itself is unsettled that night - maybe humidity or something?

Thanks everyone... I'm feeling better already...

There's a pattern here that's fundamental to a great deal of anomalies, I reckon: a certain state of mind or expectation which then finds confirmation in a chance external event. And bingo: you've created your own reality!

The sensation of being woken by 'intentional' noises might be due to hypersensitivity. When you're tense, by definition your mind is on alert, and any small noise will snap you back into wakefulness. Jeff - you mention Sunday nights as especially difficult. I always find it hard to sleep on Sundays, because I'm aware that I'm going back to my boring job in the morning! :cry:

Duncan.

Yeah could be it Duncan, or maybe Fri & Sat were late nights :madeyes:

SHOULD A LIGHT BULB DO THAT?!

I havent had a light bulb fall out - yet, but the other day I had to change a bulb and when I twisted it into the holder (on the wall) it flickered and went out. Nothing strange there, but when I reached up to 'seat' it in the holder it was so hot it burnt my hand :eek: I wasnt just hot as you might expect if it had been on a while it was too hot to touch.The bulb has only been in the holder for a matter of seconds and I have never had this type of thing happen before. Any suggestions as to why this should happen, it was below the recomended watt for the lamp. I dont suppose there is a sinister reason for it happening but just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Carrie.

You have got an electrical fault with that fitting. is it getting through a lot of bulbs?.

Please do not use it until you have had it checked by an electrician.

I have gone to unscrew a dead bulb before and had the glass come away - I imagine the vacuum had gone and this was why I needed to change it!
I'd put your experience down to something in your head, rather than the world at large which then became significant because of a coincidence.

Also, off topic, but you can drop bulbs from quite a height onto the metal cap without breaking them. Not that I'm advocating this apparently risky practice, but it's good fun on tiles, making you're friends and loved ones freak out...

Don't try this ever though, of course.

Light bulbs

Interesting one...

I had a friend with strong mediumistic abilities (she was part gypsy - no, really) who was bombed by a light bulb.

This one didn't pop out, since it was in a very old house and did not have a bayonet fitting: it screwed in, which meant that it deliberately unscrewed before falling, just missing her.

slightly off topic but i must have bought the cheap bulbs last time, since i have had 3 fall out of the metal screw part, and i cant seem to get the metal piece out of the socket. there is no broken glass left in the metal the bulb falls out completely. Anyone know how to remove these?

duncan said:
One night as I lay in bed, I couldn’t sleep. Each time I closed my eyes and had almost drifted off there’d be some slight noise from inside my bedroom or from the landing: a slight creak, as the staircase settled; or a quiet shuffle as some object or piece of furniture in my room contracted in the cool of evening....

Do you think maybe that the series of noises might actually have been down to the glass casing slowly coming away from the bulb? I know that when bulbs have blown in my house it's sometimes been preceded by some quiet pops or clinks; maybe this instance was similar and - and this is a stretch - perhaps the reason your gaze landed on the ceiling light is that some part of your brain had worked out the averages and thought that's where the noises were coming from...

Like I said, a stretch. And on an unrelated note:

duncan said:
In 1989, soon after I’d graduated, circumstances forced me back home to live with my parents. I was earning money from a sequence of boring temporary jobs, and it was not the happiest time of my life.

Oy. I've been there. It's not fun.

Anconite said:
slightly off topic but i must have bought the cheap bulbs last time, since i have had 3 fall out of the metal screw part, and i cant seem to get the metal piece out of the socket. there is no broken glass left in the metal the bulb falls out completely. Anyone know how to remove these?

Once when I was younger I tried to get the metal piece out with a screwdriver..... :shock: :shock: ....without turning off the light or power. Last time I'll do that, your best bet would be some needle nose pliers, and make sure you have the power off. :)

Anconite I agree with Tasty intestines about pliers. I just use ordinary ones. If it's a bayonet end when you grip it with the pliers push down as you turn it. I usually get glass shards and have to have a bucket as well under it lol.

alright thanks guys! I use a potato when there are glass shards, i just turn off the power, jam the spud where the lightbulb would be and since it gets stuck on the broken glass i can unscrew and pull it out. I'll try the pliers.

Now, Back to your regularly schedualed programming.

am I too late to reply

I wanted to reply to this two weeks ago, but it took a while to get activated and then I went on vacation.

so...

My friend used to live in an apartment with a resident poltergeist. It would knock down the Christmas tree, put the can opener in the houseplant pot, hide the camera just when she wanted to head out the door to an event.

One day, she turned on her bedside lamp that had a shade. The light seemed too bright so she checked it out. The filament was burning with no glass around it. She turned the light out and waited for the "bulb" to cool down. Meanwhile, she checked around the lamp looking for the glass; none, zero, zilch. No fragments, no dust. She examined the metal part once it had cooled. The remaining glass looked as though it had been melted. She kept the piece and showed me; I ran my finger over it; no cuts, the glass was smooth not jagged. No explanation how this happeded.

On another day, she found a blue pencil crayon on her bedside table. She's an artist so uses lots of coloured pencils. The brand of this surprise pencil was different than what she normally uses and she had never purchased that brand before.

first post: although i read the threads everyday, i just noticed this one and last night had an interesting light bulb incident. the regular, 60-watt bulb on the front porch had been on for at least an hour or so. a friend came over and just before knocking on the door, the bulb exploded all over him. luckily, he was okay. i'm sure it was electrical somehow, but strange timing, with his arrival and my finding the thread..

also, since this is my first post, i would just like to say that in perusing the threads i have been very impressed by the thoughtfulness, sensitivity and humor with which these posts have been handled. glad to be here.

Little My: Thanks for your sympathy with my dark night of the soul. :cry: It didn't sound as if the noises came from the bulb, but as if they came from elsewhere in the room and on the stairs. But then, that could've been a misperception on my part. Your explanation is a good one.

jamjam: The weirdest thing for me about your story is the way the bulb went on burning with no glass! That's not supposed to happen!

ok this might just be a case of me spending too much time on this message board, but I can't figure out if this is freaky or just a coincidence.

I just now walked outside for a breath of fresh air, and noticed a heap of glass on my porch. The light bulb from the porch light had exploded at some point, and the glass and the filament were everywhere. The force must have been fairly strong, as there was glass all the way down the stairs at the front of my house. My hand is still bleeding from where I cut myself picking it up. Now I'm sure one of the suggested reasons above will account for it, but it seems a bit strange seeing as I read this thread this morning after not having looked at it for a while, and whilst having had lightbulbs fall out before, I have never had one explode.

Or maybe this is just a more common occurrance than I thought!

I have had many light bulbs drop from the metal and filament parts, Smashed all over the place, so decided to spend more on other ones.
I then found that, as i went to switch the light on, the bulb would blow, and not work, this usually happens in a section of about 4 or 5 bulbs at a time. Annoying more than frightening, firstly because i have paid much more for them, secondly because they all do this at once, and am usually left with one or 2 cheapies in the end... :lol: :lol:

All tungsten-filament bulbs eventually get to the point where the glass unseals from the metal base. This is usually what makes them go "pop" as the filament fails. Then you buy a new one.

Sometimes the glue fails in its entirety, especially with outdoor bulbs. This is due to "thermal cycling". The bulb is extremely hot when it is on. It can get really cold when it is off. The glue is stretching then settling every thermal cyle of on, off, on, off... Eventually it fails as it ages, just like a rubber band will fail from repeated stretching and settling.

In Europe these bulbs are not evacuated (ie "filled with" vacuum) but instead often contain noble gases like argon. Maybe this is true in North America also? So the failure of the glue need not suddenly allow the air in, instead there will be a slow diffusive exchange of air outside for (e.g.) argon inside. So normally the filament will pop in a bulb containing some air, without a pressure differential.

No doubt the glass in the bulb might be destroyed by the heat and get loose from the fittings.

HI Duncan!

Something very similar happened to me some years ago, minus the menacing aspect: I have a spare room in my workshop which was empty back then. The only furnishinins were a ceiling lamp with a red lamp shade and a mattress with a blanket. I would sometimes take naps in there. One midday, I went in there for a little siesta.

When I woke up about an hour later, I was lying on my side looking across the oak wood floor. There was a small pile of glass splinters in a circle. When I looked closer, I saw it was glass from the light bulb in the lamp above. The filament was all in one piece, only the glass had broken and fallen to the ground- not scattered, but fallen down in small pieces to cover a circular area of maybe 20 cm in diameter.

When I left my workshop in the evening, I switched on the light in the spare room to look if I had left anything in there. The light went on for about 3 seconds, then the filament burned, and the light went out, as it would.

It was an odd thing to happen. To me, the event felt special and had a sense of beauty and lightness to it. I have sometimes in my life discovered funny things in my room after waking up, I put it down to activities of jesting spirits.

I'd like to think Duncan is still around but he posted - according to the stats - 19 times, around 2005!

I love it when old threads are rediscovered with fresh enthusiasm! :)

edit 26.02.2015: rediscoverd! :eek:

Last edited:
Light bulbs are, in many ways, the oldest 'modern day' technological innovation in society. Or I should say, that they were the archetypal nouveau. That elegant tungsten filament, a glow-worm coil of ethereal beauty trapped in a balloon-glass mini world, is almost no more. We now mostly all have these anodyne low-energy dim'n'prim alternatives to the classic, proper Edisonion sun-in-a-jar. And the LED ones give off an even more soulless light, that simply cannot hold a candle to the neo-Victorian splendor of a simple 100W unfrosted ES bulb...

So there will be much fewer instances of ideopathic glass detachments, or bulbs spontaneously parting with their holders.

There is something very alive about filament bulbs, a living steampunkean connectedness that is shared with thermionic valves ( or 'tubes' as they say in the States) and cathode ray tubes (all now cowed into submissive LED/LCD neutrality). No more electrons boiling off a resistive helix of metal, heat and light generated like a mad scientist's experiment gone right. Now just pale, clinical cold characterless lite, instead of LIGHT.

Goodbye bulb. I always loved and feared you. Now I must make do with your sophisticated and dysfunctional cousin. But I would have you, and your sensuous fragile beauty back at the flick of a switch: if only I could remake the connection.

Back