Oh, The Irony

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Fowzi Nejad, 61, the only terrorist to survive the siege, cannot be sent back to Iran because of human rights laws so instead lives in Peckham, south London.

Nejad spent 28 years in jail before he became eligible for parole three years ago. It is reported that he is now living rent free [in a council house in Peckham].

maximus otter
Already an extremely lucky man.

Five of the six gunmen died in a hail of SAS bullets. One, Fowzi Nejad, survived by passing himself off as a hostage. Once "rescued" and taken outside the embassy, he was identified as a gunman by a real hostage and almost joined his dead comrades. One SAS soldier appeared to be about to drag him back inside the building until Horsfall advised him against it since the world was watching. "That would have been totally against policy and it would have been a very foolish thing for somebody to make that sort of mistake."

Fawzi survived and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The SAS then retired to Regents Park barracks for a beer, a debrief and a congratulatory visit from Margaret Thatcher and Denis. Hastie-Smith, the cabinet office official, was with them. "Most of them appeared to have slightly ginger hair and ginger moustaches and bottles of beer in their hand," he says. "The state of excitement was something I've never see in my life before. They were like a pack of hounds. The air was thick with testosterone."

Tom distinctly recollects the prime minister's Estee Lauder Youth Dew perfume and that Denis was "quite upset" that one of the terrorists had survived. "He told us in no uncertain terms that we had failed in some respects," Tom says. "He had a big grin on his face and said, 'You let one of the bastards live.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jul/24/military.features11

View attachment 8291

Dow Jones falls more than 1,150 points, erasing gains for 2018
Posted 1:47 pm, February 5, 2018, by Associated Press, Updated at 05:08PM, February 5, 2018

But alas the joke's on me because it's a hoax:
www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/the-internet-has-fallen-for-a-fake-trump-tweet-about-dow-jones/news-story/bd4feae429194f6e00e526ea3b82571e
Ah, I tweeted it at him anyway. I'll have fun with some of his supporters. I'll claim the report about it being fakje is - fake news!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
'Poacher' killed and eaten by pride of lions 'he was hunting' leaving only his HEAD at South African game reserve

A suspected big cat poacher has been killed and eaten by the pride of lions he was allegedly hunting at a South African game reserve.

The man could be heard screaming for help as the beasts mauled him at the Ingwelala Private Nature Reserve in Limpopo province.

Although his cries raised the alarm, the lions quickly killed him and devoured most his body before being chased from the scene.

His head was the only part of him left untouched.

It is now the only means available to police of identifying the alleged poacher - who was carrying no documents when he was attacked.

A hunting rifle was also discovered close to what was left of the man's blood-drenched body. Officers believe the item belonged to him.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
The irony for me is how a country which is a part of this EU we are leaving can afford to produce an item cheaper than we can right here.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
What, by opening up the bidding process to foreign firms and saving the "hard-working British Taxpayer"® 100 million-odd quid? Yep, disgusting.
I thought it was 50 million?
I'm not sure why there is such a huge price differential. Seems fishy to me. Maybe the French firm will outsource it all to China? That would be a disaster if that's what they intend to do.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I think the irony is now off the scale, with the revelation that "British" company De La Rue intended to have the passports printed in Malta,whereas Franco-Dutch company Gemalto will carry out much of the production in Fareham, thereby creating 70 new UK jobs.

So those idiots at The Mail and Guardian making such a fuss over this non-story would rather pay more for their passports so that jobs would be created in Valletta instead of Fareham!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Aha! I didn't know that.
De La Rue were going to outsource it and charge more? Well, I feel less sympathy for them now.
Indeed. We have to acknowledge that it's a small world these days, and the bottom line is whether it's a fair deal all round.

You don't hear the Japanese bellyaching because their Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas are built in the UK!