Oh, The Irony

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That poll was bullshit, don't worry.
I hardly think the poll, no matter how real or imaginary it was, really had any impact on the economic decision to halt production. Like most places, Mexico has gone into lockdown and only essential services are running, the production of beer not being one them (note to self: do not move to Mexico).

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Phenomenal hypocrisy from Sturgeon too. If that had been someone from the opposition I'm sure that she would be very vocally calling for her resignation.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Around here, it's gotten popular for people to go watch when the milking cows are being released onto grass for the first time that year. The cows jump around, enjoying the fresh air and grass.
This year, as people can't attend, it will instead be live-streamed. So you can sit quarantined in your own house, watching cows enjoy the freedoms you can only dream of.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
:) I hope this is not too political. It amuses me greatly.

Kate Kelly, NYT writer tweets:

And as our executive editor @deanbaquet pointed out in a recent interview with my colleague @benyt, Kavanaugh "was a live, ongoing story that had become the biggest political story in the country. It was just a different news judgment moment."

And many replies can be summarized in this tweet by Gad Saad:

You’re right. @JoeBiden running for president is not an important enough journalistic moment to report on a sexual assault allegation.

And this tweet by the NYT becomes self ironic if you read the last sentence:

IMG_20200416_135751.jpg

balding13

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
In the aftermath of Harold Shipman the law was changed so that it required the signature of two Doctors (instead of one) before a body could be released for cremation. This was presumably designed as a final check into the cause of death before all forensic evidence was destroyed with the body. What it meant for me was I had to pay £86.00 for each signature on my Mother's release certificate. Glad the money didn't go to waste.
One of the very few perks of my job is free cremations. You can insert your own speculative jokes......

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
How's this for irony: A few months before the big Virus changeover, there was a frenzied debate in the mass media concerning the acceptabilty or otherwise of the wearing of various facial coverings in public. This was often, but not solely, centred roun d the burqa or hajib (or whatever).

Mr Johnson himself came under fire for jocular remarks comparing certain users of facial masks as looking like `post boxes`.

A fe months down the line and facial coverings (or be it for a totally different reason) are de rigeurr and even officially encouraged

It's like a kind of poetic justice!

[Mods: I'm not trying to re-ignite the debate on this issue - just commenting on the irony of it.]

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
It's the Guardian. They hate this country.
The title should actually say 'British workers reject low-paid fruit-picking jobs as Romanians flown in'.
British workers are already being paid 80% by the government to sit on their arse. There must be far more who could get off theirs and go and do an essential job. They can't all be living with elderly parents or have asthma or whatever surely?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It's the Guardian. They hate this country.
Seriously - you really believe that utter tosh? Laughable.

As David Plankton pointed out on another thread, those on furlough cannot do other paid work. That means it would have to be volunteers or those people on UC, self employed not eligible for UC or government relief, maybe students or retired..

In addition you'd have to live close to the farms involved or be prepared to move to accommodation provided by farms, in caravans or whatever, to be paid £3 ph or whatever the rate is, or be prepared to travel a distance to do it.

It's not so clear cut & straightforward.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
I have done seasonal farm work ( a long time ago ), it is boring, hard work, no job security and the pay is crap, the main reason ( I believe ) is that the supermarkets dictate to the growers how much they will pay because obviously they want to make as much money as possible, it appeals to foreign workers as they can make more money here than in their own country. A fair days wage for a fair days work isn't possible when your dealing with multinational supermarkets, maybe things will change as it did after the great plague. That said, I would do farm work now if I could as you make a lot of friends and have a good time in the evenings.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
British workers are already being paid 80% by the government to sit on their arse. There must be far more who could get off theirs and go and do an essential job. They can't all be living with elderly parents or have asthma or whatever surely?
I would have expected an army of gammons to cheerfully volunteer to pick fruit and vegetables, happy with their newly won freedom.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
You could not make this up..

The Thursday evening Clap for Carers is resulting in more work for carers as people injure themselves clapping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52506114
Some people arrive at hospital immediately after the clap, others later in the evening, after trying and failing to get over their injury at home.

"When you're trying to keep pressure off the NHS, it's adding to the workload at a time when we really want to avoid that happening," Richard says. "I think people need to be careful and just slow down a bit if they're going out into the street."

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You could not make this up..

The Thursday evening Clap for Carers is resulting in more work for carers as people injure themselves clapping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52506114
Silly twats.

Has to be said though: whatever people do, they can injure themselves.

I'm the last person to sneer at others' clumsiness, having once pulled a thigh muscle by turning over in bed.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This happened on Church Street in Preston. I got a photo of it but can't locate it now. A takeaway had burnt down and its sign above the shop "Nandos - the flaming taste".