• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

The lengths of driving bans are not arbitrary. They are calculated on a points basis. Accumulating enough points on the driving licence in a certain amount of time triggers a ban.

Here is a helpful website, Driving Ban, run by a company called Motor Lawyers.

This page has a guide to how points are added up.

Speeding Ban/Speeding Offences

So there is little leeway for favours.

I worked at the local Magistrates' Courts and saw a few defendants argue the toss to keep their licences or reduce the length of the ban.
They succeeded if they pushed hard enough. Must've been expensive though.
Informative site. It says this:

What is the likely length of an instant ban for a speeding offence?​

In most cases it can vary from 7 to 56 days, but the Court does have complete discretion so in an extreme situation a ban of 120 days or more could be imposed. However, if you already have 6 or more points on your licence and the speed alleged is so high that you would normally face an instant ban, the probability is that the Court will endorse your licence with 6 points, which would take you to 12+ points and trigger a 6 month totting up ban.
Since our MP friend already had 6 points from 2 previous speeding convictions, he’s seemed to get off as lightly as is possible in escaping the ‘probable’ 6 month ban.

Fancy that..

But..............
There are 46 motorists on UK roads with more than 30 POINTS on their driving licence, latest DVLA records reveal
"....these figures from the DVLA show that there is a worryingly larger number of motorists in the UK who, it seems, have made collecting points something of a hobby.
To have 68 penalty points on your licence shows an incredible amount of disrespect, not only for the law of the land but for other road users, too...."
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9685045/There-46-motorists-UK-roads-30-POINTS.html

Yup, they'll be like the ones I saw putting up a fight to keep their licences.

These drivers would have claimed in court that a disqualification would have caused them 'exceptional hardship' and been allowed to remain on the road

This is really no defence. If they have responsibilities they should be more careful to start with.
I bet their insurance is sky-high.

This is really no defence. If they have responsibilities they should be more careful to start with.
I bet their insurance is sky-high.
The insurance rates for people convicted of drunk driving are what keeps many of them off the roads here. I knew one who kept putting off getting his driver's license back after he had met all the court's requirements, and it turned out that his insurance would be several thousand dollars per year if he got a car. Of course, the real scofflaws just don't bother with insurance, setting off a whole other cascade of legal actions when they get caught or cause a crash.

Far too many people seem to think that responsibility, like rules, are for other people.

The insurance rates for people convicted of drunk driving are what keeps many of them off the roads here. I knew one who kept putting off getting his driver's license back after he had met all the court's requirements, and it turned out that his insurance would be several thousand dollars per year if he got a car. Of course, the real scofflaws just don't bother with insurance, setting off a whole other cascade of legal actions when they get caught or cause a crash.

Far too many people seem to think that responsibility, like rules, are for other people.
It's not unheard-of for people here to drive when banned or without any documentation at all, even a licence. They can stay under the police radar for a while if they're careful. I have known several.

When I worked out in the sticks a colleague who'd previously been rather unfriendly towards me asked me humbly to please give her lifts in as I drove near her home. I agreed and she was always there on time waiting for me.
Turned out she'd never held a licence and had been driving for decades, borrowing cars from the family.

Eventually she was stopped by the police, possible in a spot check, and when it was found she had no licence the car was impounded on the spot. Her son was NOT impressed. :chuckle:

This was an otherwise law-abiding woman of 60-odd. You never can tell. :wink2:

Since the lockdowns where we can't have any visitors some of my friends have been ringing a lot more often.
One in particular rings every day, sometimes twice.
Today on her second call she mentioned another friend she has who has been ringing her every day. She thought her friend might be bored and wanting something to do.
I said " Oh yes, probably" thinking well that's rather ironic.

It's not unheard-of for people here to drive when banned or without any documentation at all, even a licence. They can stay under the police radar for a while if they're careful. I have known several.

When I worked out in the sticks a colleague who'd previously been rather unfriendly towards me asked me humbly to please give her lifts in as I drove near her home. I agreed and she was always there on time waiting for me.
Turned out she'd never held a licence and had been driving for decades, borrowing cars from the family.

Eventually she was stopped by the police, possible in a spot check, and when it was found she had no licence the car was impounded on the spot. Her son was NOT impressed. :chuckle:

Ms Petes recently interviewed a couple of 20 something girls (for a job that required them to drive) who thought it was perfectly OK to drive their father's car every day to work on their own on a provisional license. Despair of their father too.

Don't fret PeteS—they'll wind up in the Ridiculous Accidents thread.
As long as they don't kill or hurt anyone, we'll be able to laugh.

This is *not* the Onion:

New Zealand police break up one-person anti-lockdown protest in Auckland
A one-person anti-lockdown protest in central Auckland has been shut down, after the police were alerted to discussions of a potential gathering on social media.
New Zealand police said officers were on Queen Street on Friday after hearing a protest was being planned, but only one person arrived with the intention of protesting, Newshub reported. “Police have been in the area and have spoken to one person who arrived intending to attend the protest. Police spoke to the individual who was encouraged to comply with alert level four restrictions and chose to leave,” a spokesman said.
They said they are continuing to monitor the situation. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-one-person-anti-lockdown-protest-in-auckland

Firefighters can't start a fire, to fight a fire, because of too much rain.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8148873/white-rock-lake-wildfire-update-august-28-2021

------------------------------------------------------
A massive planned burn for the White Rock Lake wildfire has been delayed.

70c8fc80

On Saturday, the BC Wildfire Service said due to recent rainfall in the Six Mile Creek area, conditions aren’t favourable to ignite the 3,000-hectare burn.

BC Wildfire did not have an exact amount of how much rain fell, but said overall it was light, ranging between one and five millimetres. To the south, the Fintry area received five millimetres of rain on Friday afternoon.

The fire is estimated at 81,362 hectares and is classified as out of control.

On Monday, BC Wildfire announced that it was planning the large-scale ignition along the northeast flank of the blaze, and that the resulting smoke would be highly visible from area communities.

Covid sceptic dies in hospital after contracting covid 19.

"A Covid sceptic who was hospitalised with the virus and went on to urge other people to get vaccinated has died.

Marcus Birks, 40, from Leek, Staffordshire, died on Friday leaving his family "shattered", his wife said.

He was admitted to the intensive care unit at Royal Stoke University Hospital earlier this month.

The musician had told the BBC he was "shocked" to have become so unwell with the virus because he "rarely got ill"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-58376709

Covid sceptic dies in hospital after contracting covid 19.

"A Covid sceptic who was hospitalised with the virus and went on to urge other people to get vaccinated has died.

Marcus Birks, 40, from Leek, Staffordshire, died on Friday leaving his family "shattered", his wife said.

He was admitted to the intensive care unit at Royal Stoke University Hospital earlier this month.

The musician had told the BBC he was "shocked" to have become so unwell with the virus because he "rarely got ill"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-58376709
Name checks out.

Joe Manning of Georgia, 57
Captain in the Wayne County Sheriff's Office, he posted anti-vax/anti-mask & COVID hoax messages to Facebook.
Caught COVID.
Treated himself with ivermectin.
He leaves behind a wife, three kids and 8 grandchildren.

There are many cases. It's just sad that these folk thought they were doing the right thing.

Caleb Wallace.
30yo - Wife - 3 kids - TX.
He organized "Freedom Rally" against masks, vaccines & restrictions.
He caught COVID, then tried treating himself w/ivermectin, aspirin & vitamins.
He's now intubated, unresponsive & not expected to survive.

What I don't understand about the death of Marcus Birks is that it was a comparatively long time between infection and eventual death.
He first became ill towards the end of July, then after several days of becoming worse he was admitted to hospital at the beginning of August, and has eventually died.
This would indicate something in the region of 6-7 weeks from infection to death, assuming an incubation period of several days before symptoms are evident, whereas the usual progress of the virus from infection to death is between 3 and 5 weeks.

What I don't understand about the death of Marcus Birks is that it was a comparatively long time between infection and eventual death.
He first became ill towards the end of July, then after several days of becoming worse he was admitted to hospital at the beginning of August, and has eventually died.
This would indicate something in the region of 6-7 weeks from infection to death, assuming an incubation period of several days before symptoms are evident, whereas the usual progress of the virus from infection to death is between 3 and 5 weeks.
There have been news reports of people in hospital on mechanical breathing aids for months at a time, some recover and go home, some sadly don't, I believe GMTV's Kate Garraways husband is still very ill he was admitted to hospital in March 2020 and although is now at home, after being discharged last month, he remains at serious risk of death still.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/kate-garrway-derek-drapers-extreme-21244048

On a lighter note~

Here's a tidbit from the latest New Yorker Magazine (Aug 30, 2021, page 18; the article is titled "The Big House: Life after white-collar crime."):
"In 2001, following the accounting scandals at Enron and other companies, a publication called CFO Magazine quietly abandoned its annual Excellence Awards, because winners from each of the previous three years had gone to prison."

There's been cas
Driving a 4x4 too - chances of survival for anybody hit by that at high-speed? Virtually zero.

The 28-day ban is pathetic. A typically abysmal refusal to understand what a serious crime this is. One incident? Perhaps you'd realise then and change your ways. Not for that shit-for-brains.
There's been quite a few cases of idiots like this being caught 20 plus times (often in stolen vehicles), being set free (if given any prison time at all), and then eventually killing someone, or more than one person. Often children. Makes me sick.

Perhaps it's to do with how fit and young the patient is and how much of a fight they can put up.
All of which trouble could be avoided if they had the vaccine.

What makes me shake my head is the way people who've refused the vaccine change their minds once they personally fall ill.
Nobody's toughing it out or sticking to their guns, and everyone they've previously influenced is at risk too. :mad:

I've heard of people sneaking off for the vaccine without telling their anti-vax relations. Good work. :cool:

On the plus side, these are ideal conditions to test the power of Thoughts and Prayers vs a vaccine.
Unfortunately unless you carry out a scientific study under controlled conditions, anyone who is going with the 'thoughts and prayers' approach who doesn't contract covid can say it was down to their faith, where as someone who goes with the 'covid denial' approach will say it's because it's all a hoax, most rational people (not that the above are not rational also), will say 'I've been lucky not to have been infected'. That is why a controlled experiment would be needed, everyone is different, everyone's immune systems are individual, some may have a natural tolerance to the virus, some may just not have symptoms but carry the virus, some people may just not encounter the virus.

Yes, I knew of a case like that as well. Drove for her entire adult life without a licence. Never caught.

Possibly it's easier to get away with if you were never in the system in the first place?

Yes, I knew of a case like that as well. Drove for her entire adult life without a licence. Never caught.

Possibly it's easier to get away with if you were never in the system in the first place?
Yup, if you drive carefully enough and your name is never connected to a vehicle you're home and dry.
I have a faint suspicion about how the driver I mentioned was rumbled. Perhaps someone she'd upset tipped the Old Bill the wink.

I suppose it has a lot to do with where you drive also, if you drive on motorways and major A roads, you are more likely to come across a police ANPR camera, be that stationary or mobile, if you only drive on B roads and local lanes there is little chance of coming across one of these.

I suppose it has a lot to do with where you drive also, if you drive on motorways and major A roads, you are more likely to come across a police ANPR camera, be that stationary or mobile, if you only drive on B roads and local lanes there is little chance of coming across one of these.
Yup, plus you have to draw the attention of the police in the first place.

However, roads and streets on the edges of towns are top spot check areas. I used to cycle to work along a lay-by where drivers would be pulled in for random early morning breath-tests. That'd trip up unqualified or uninsured drivers even if they were careful.

I tend to agree with Nassim Taleb. This might be a better central banker than our elites :)

1631292215321.png

A loan agreement with the Taliban would be quite simple - pay back the loan or we shoot you.
All debts are repaid.

A loan agreement with the Taliban would be quite simple - pay back the loan or we shoot you.
All debts are repaid.
Or we want to borrow a truck load of cash, when you want it repayed feel free to come to Afghanistan to collect it :D

Ms Petes recently interviewed a couple of 20 something girls (for a job that required them to drive) who thought it was perfectly OK to drive their father's car every day to work on their own on a provisional license. Despair of their father too.
I wonder if they were influenced by too much American TV, where kids can drive alone on a learner's permit.

I wonder if they were influenced by too much American TV, where kids can drive alone on a learner's permit.
If they were thick enough to believe that they're too stupid to take on! :chuckle:

In The Sopranos a driver leaves the scene of a fatal accident because they don't want to be prosecuted for driving after dark, which is illegal there for learners. They can drive unsupervised only in the daytime.

Surely nobody here believes they can drive alone on a learner licence?

Back