• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

tweetofthemonthFebruary.jpg

maximus otter

"I will not accept that it's a highly dangerous road"​

How do you suddenly skid off of a straight road?!!? In daylight?!!? At not very high speed?!!?

Looked like a Lada Riva estate.
The steering was always wonky and imprecise on those. Back when I was poor as a church mouse I briefly owned one of those appalling cars. Just to drive in a straight line you had to keep adjusting the steering wheel like some unconvincing old film of someone driving shot in a studio.

I have installed a free Solitaire game on my lappie. When I wake in the morning, I like a game or six to get the 'little grey cells' going.
This game has Google adverts to be free. My laptop has no installed Solitaire game. So I installed with acceptance.
The adverts aren't intrusive - they're in a vertical bar to the left of the actual game board. You can (for shits an' giggles) give 'feedback' on the adverts, but really we know you're going to see them.
The irony? Treble whammy.
Getting adverts from Chinese knock-off firms.
Platforms that have been swamped with Chinese knock-off firms (such as Etsy) claiming your participation will "encourage local traders and independent makers". Well. Haha. A lot!
And then (really it's getting silly) a firm that touts it's business to let you pay them to give you the metrics to "overcome" the pressure of Temu and 'other selling platforms!'
A Chinese firm asks for your money to 'work with' your listing on an open site (allegedly) to compete against other Chinese firms?
I've heard that China is feeling a few struggles in economy but I'd have expected it have a bit more delicacy.

Most professional lawyers will say 'it depends' because it does. The law tends to rely on generalisations in order to allow for interpretation of individual cases and circumstances.
There are a few 'definitive' laws that allow for some 'wriggle room' but because each case must be considered on it's own merits, a law cannot put into writing all possible variations and conditions. It's complicated enough already.

Learned about this old one today. From 2012:

(CBS News) Erwin McKiness, an aspiring Southern California rapper also known as Jew'elz and Inkyy, died in a suspected drunk-driving crash after reportedly tweeting the phrase "YOLO" - "You Only Live Once" - a phrase popularized by rapper Drake's song "The Motto."

"Drunk af going 120 difting corners #F**kItYOLO," tweeted the 21-year-old McKiness just before he and his friends died in a car accident on Sept. 2 in Ontario, Calif., reports the San Bernardino Sun.

A Chinese airline warned passengers not to throw coins into plane engines after an Airbus A350 was delayed for 4 hours​

• In a video, a flight attendant tells confused passengers someone threw "three to five coins" into the engine.

From Business Insider
The irony of expecting luck from throwing pieces of metal into a high bypass turbojet engine is delicious indeed.

A Chinese airline warned passengers not to throw coins into plane engines after an Airbus A350 was delayed for 4 hours​

• In a video, a flight attendant tells confused passengers someone threw "three to five coins" into the engine.

From Business Insider
The irony of expecting luck from throwing pieces of metal into a high bypass turbojet engine is delicious indeed.

There's a thread about this all too common practise!

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/tossing-coins-into-jet-engines-for-good-fortune.66777

"YOLO" - "You Only Live Once" - a phrase popularized by rapper Drake's song "The Motto."
I get it. I really do.
Don't limit yourself, try anything.
On the other hand ...
You can look at 'The Motto' and think - "I've only one life ... don't risk it on a gamble!"
I've lived this long by the latter, not the former, because I've thought things through and considered the risks. Take a chance, try something new ... all great ideas, but the 'All Or Nothing' gamble is a bad one.
"Hey - why not bungee jump but with the 'risk' of a thin tether! There's a risk of death but think of the adrenaline rush!" You do you, but how are your family going to react, picking up a jam jar containing your remains?"

Looked like a Lada Riva estate.
The steering was always wonky and imprecise on those. Back when I was poor as a church mouse I briefly owned one of those appalling cars. Just to drive in a straight line you had to keep adjusting the steering wheel like some unconvincing old film of someone driving shot in a studio.
Tailgating. He brakes pretty hard and as @blessmycottonsocks says Lada steering (and brakes) could be pretty crap. He may also have steered off the road to avoid the collision with the back of the car in front. Same thing happens a bit later but this car does hit the one in front.
There was a sketch in some comedy show pre the fall of the Berlin wall where the character talks about how he feared Russian tanks rolling across Europe until he bought a Lada.

This morning, for some reason, I was thinking about one of the weirdest traffic episodes I ever saw. It would have been about 1993 in Florida. I was driving a tour bus down I-95. There was very little traffic. The road was wide, smooth and straight. The weather was sunny and warm. Florida is much flatter than Kansas, with hardly anything that could be called a hill.

As we motored serenely toward the south, the only car I could see in the northbound lanes was a small sedan, minding its own business in the right lane. Suddenly a Mustang convertible appeared behind it, at what had to be well over 100 mph. It was also in the right lane. Just as the Mustang was shifting over to the passing lane, the driver ahead apparently tried to get out of the way by going into the left lane. God knows why, since there was probably a 12' shoulder to the right, perfectly suited to drive on. I fully expected to witness a fiery crash, and was figuring out what I needed to do next.

As we met this spectacle, both cars were swerving all over the road, and just as we passed, the Mustang was doing a 360 on the left side of the road, smoke rolling off all four tires. I looked in the mirror to see that both cars were proceeding north, somehow managing to not make contact or leave the road. So two cars on a 50 foot wide slab of nearly new concrete, in ideal conditions, and it was all the drivers could do to not smash into one another.

This morning, for some reason, I was thinking about one of the weirdest traffic episodes I ever saw. It would have been about 1993 in Florida. I was driving a tour bus down I-95. There was very little traffic. The road was wide, smooth and straight. The weather was sunny and warm. Florida is much flatter than Kansas, with hardly anything that could be called a hill.
Do you still drive a bus? As a truck driver I was amazed what people do behind the wheel. The scariest has been watching people with children in the vehicle!

Haven't been behind the wheel of a commercial bus in decades. I loved the job, but I was single and pretty much never home. I have a couple of buses of my own now, both built originally as motorhomes. That's an expensive hobby that I've only recently indulged, and I'll probably get it out of my system soon enough. Lots of fun though.

Back when I was a bus driver, I used to say Florida had the worst drivers. They seemed to be completely nuts. Clueless. Even maliciously stupid. We don't see many Florida plates around here. New Mexico drivers are bad enough. And the texans...:roll:

And the texans...:roll:
:rofl: I’ll never forget the first time I drove into Ft Worth going north in I35. I had been driving through the night (back then the speed limit was 55) and about a half an hour out all the truckers were passing me at speeds WELL over 55. I was surprised at how fast they were all going, until I hit Ft Worth at the morning rush hour! It was nuts! That did not happen again as long as I could help it!

I was a school bus driver for 2 districts in Iowa for 9 years. I could parallel park a bus! :p

Not all Texans are obnoxious, of course. Many of them are pretty cool. The loud, boorish, ignorant ones make enough noise for all of them though.

One time on a two week tour, one of the passengers was a recently retired highway engineer from Texas. He had some interesting things to say about his experiences in the job. He was a nice guy named Dexter. The tour guide decided that we'd play the total mileage game, since it was going to be a long trip. On the first day, the passengers each write down their guess for the total mileage the bus moves from the start of the tour until the end. The drivers have to keep track of every mile anyway, so it's easy to accommodate the game. Whoever gets closest to the actual total wins some token prize. Guesses usually range from impossibly low, like what we would do in a day, to astronomically high. The mileage ended up being 3,263 or something. Dexter's guess was exactly right. To the mile.

I've always thought that no matter how clever the design, junctions that complex must be incredibly dangerous! Surely, all that lane changing required increases risk?

Back