Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I got this from a list of murders where no body was found.

Malika Maria de Fernandez, The estranged wife of Peter Reyn-Bardt.

When the bog body later known as the Lindow Woman was found in a bog behind his home in 1983, police questioned Reyn-Bardt, whose wife had been missing for over two decades.

Reyn-Bardt, also believing that the partial body was that of his wife, admitted to have murdered her when she blackmailed him under threat of revealing his homosexuality. Afterward, he dismembered the body and buried the pieces in a trench leading to the bog.

Carbon 14 dating later showed that the body was nearly 1,800 years old. While Malika's own body was not found, the detailed confession was enough to pronounce her husband guilty.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
That's one of the funniest colleague pranks you can play.

If they leave their computer unlocked -screenshot their desktop, hide all their icons in a folder somewhere, then replace their wallpaper with the screenshot.
If two people have desks facing each other with the monitors back-to-back, swap the monitor leads.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
No... but I have been known to try and click buttons on a screenshot of a program and wonder why they aren't working...
At Lancaster railway station there's a laminated diagram next to the lift controls to explain how they work, and I always press the button on the picture.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Well, this sucks for the owner / driver of the Mercedes SUV .... Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt.
Driver leaving car wash hits gas, plunges into New Jersey river

A driver accidentally slammed on the gas while leaving a New Jersey car wash and plunged into a nearby river.

The Hackensack Fire Department shared surveillance camera footage showing the 2002 Mercedes SUV leaving the car wash, abruptly speeding up and plunging over an embankment into the Hackensack River.

The department said the driver, a 64-year-old woman, and a passenger, the driver's daughter, were able to exit the vehicle and get back to shore with the help of a bystander. The pair were taken to a local hospital without serious injuries.

"Unfortunately, there's no rules that say there has to be a guardrail there," Hackensack Fire Captain Justin Derevyanik told WABC-TV. "That's up to the property owner. ..."
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...es-into-New-Jersey-river/6141563379173/?sl=14

VIDEO (@ Twitter):

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Had plenty of time to use the brake.
My guess is that the driver (an older woman) leaned as she turned the vehicle, stabbed her foot onto the wrong pedal, and failed to correct the error in time. I've seen this many times with people driving vehicles with automatic transmissions.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Another dog shoots man story

Man who had leg amputated after being shot by dog reveals how he nearly died

Matt Branch, 30, and some friends were loading a utility terrain vehicle with hunting equipment when the black labrador retriever, named Tito, jumped on to the floor of the vehicle, stepping on a shotgun that had been placed there. The dog managed, somehow, to depress the gun’s safety mechanism and pull the trigger with his paw.

Branch, who played college football at Louisiana State University, was hit in the leg and was unconscious for 12 days. He had to have his entire left leg amputated and was operated on nine times.

After being fitted with a titanium prosthetic leg, Branch is walking again, back at work and intends to carry on hunting.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Another dog shoots man story

...the black labrador retriever, named Tito, jumped on to the floor of the vehicle, stepping on a shotgun that had been placed there. The dog managed, somehow, to depress the gun’s safety mechanism and pull the trigger with his paw.
Wait, wait, wait, just a minute. How on earth did this happen? :wide: Okay so I'm not familiar with guns and I don't know the mechanisms involved, but doesn't it seem a tad far fetched?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Wait, wait, wait, just a minute. How on earth did this happen? :wide: Okay so I'm not familiar with guns and I don't know the mechanisms involved, but doesn't it seem a tad far fetched?
I can see how it could happen, and in this case I can specify a likely suspect. The venerable Remington 870 is probably the most common pump-action shotgun in the USA. The 870's safety is a single two-position button setup implemented by a cylindrical component that can be moved from side to side through the front portion of the trigger guard. Push the pin from one side to the other (through the trigger guard), and it extends out of the trigger guard with visible red markings to indicate this is the 'fire' position. Push the pin in the opposite direction, and it extends out of the other side of the trigger guard with no red marking to indicate this is the 'safe' position.

If the shotgun had been lying on its side and the dog stepped on the trigger guard, it's entirely possible the pin got pushed from the safe to the fire position. Once that happened, all the dog had to do to fire the gun was make any move sufficient to trip the trigger (e.g., jerk a paw while trying to disentangle it from the trigger guard).

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
If the shotgun had been lying on its side and the dog stepped on the trigger guard, it's entirely possible the pin got pushed from the safe to the fire position. Once that happened, all the dog had to do to fire the gun was make any move sufficient to trip the trigger (e.g., jerk a paw while trying to disentangle it from the trigger guard).
Or - my cynical guess - he hadn’t engaged the safety and had left a cartridge in the chamber...

maximus otter

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Man with cerebral palsy in police stop & search for "looking spaced out"

A young writer with cerebral palsy, dyspraxia and a congenital left-sided weakness says he was humiliated when police handcuffed and searched him for looking “spaced out” and “walking with a limp”.

Hale was stopped and searched for “looking spaced”, “walking with a limp” and “looking to the sky”, according to a written record of the stop and search

Hale was walking around his neighbourhood in Camberwell, south London, on Sunday 7 July when a police car pulled over and two officers stopped and handcuffed him. “They asked me why I thought they were stopping me. I jokingly said: ‘Because I had a wonky eye,’ and the female officer who apprehended me said yes

The police took Hale’s wallet and phone and asked if he was on drugs, Hale said. “The assumption was that there is something criminally wrong with my body,” he said. “I felt like I didn’t meet a certain benchmark of what normality is.”

The police eventually took off the handcuffs and let Hale go. “They weren’t apologetic about it, they acknowledged it in a very brisk way. The female officer said we’d let you go because you’ve got a problem. And the other officer said these are things that have been going on since you were born. It just felt like you weren’t really a person. It was degrading.”

Simon Messinger, a borough commander with the Met, said: “Officers stopped a man on suspicion of possession of drugs in Southampton Street in Camberwell on Sunday 7 July and carried out a search. The gentleman in question made the officers aware that he had a disability affecting his movement. No drugs were found and he was then free to go on his way.”

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
They may have been acting on the results of a behaviour analysis system.
Video with AI that spots odd behaviour.
Yes, but they are still human and had to interact with the guy suggesting that copper-training is getting worse.

I've worked a lot with the police and the vast majority of them have enough nouse to spot the difference between a disabled bloke and someone off their tits.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Man with cerebral palsy in police stop & search for "looking spaced out"

A young writer with cerebral palsy, dyspraxia and a congenital left-sided weakness says he was humiliated when police handcuffed and searched him for looking “spaced out” and “walking with a limp”.
An acquaintance with a spectacularly strange gait - due to some form of arthritis - used to stagger out of the pub and into his car and drive home, followed by the police car that had been discreetly parked across the road. He'd be stopped and breathalysed regularly to no avail, being teetotal. Being also a sport he took it as a big joke and would laugh throughout the proceedings.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I'm going to tell on my teen son here for a silly mistake (hey, if this didn't have a happy ending, I wouldn't, cos I'm not that terrible of a mother!).
Son just recently turned 18 so he is now able to sell lottery tickets at his job. Unfortunately, he misunderstood a customer's order and ended up printing $1000 more in tickets than the customer wanted. :eek:

Everyone he asked for advice - including the rep from the lottery commission - shrieked "A THOUSAND DOLLARS!?!" when he told them how much, so he figured he was done for.

The only way to get out of this without having to report the loss to the state was to sell all the tickets before a certain time, and by god, the kid did it. "I was hawking lottery tickets like my life depended on it" he said.

Since it worked out well, he now thinks it was an adventure, but I bet it won't happen again!:rollingw:

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Everyone he asked for advice - including the rep from the lottery commission - shrieked "A THOUSAND DOLLARS!?!" when he told them how much, so he figured he was done for.

The only way to get out of this without having to report the loss to the state was to sell all the tickets before a certain time, and by god, the kid did it. "I was hawking lottery tickets like my life depended on it" he said.
I'd hope he also gets "Salesperson of the week" for that kind of effort.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
An acquaintance with a spectacularly strange gait - due to some form of arthritis - used to stagger out of the pub and into his car and drive home, followed by the police car that had been discreetly parked across the road. He'd be stopped and breathalysed regularly to no avail, being teetotal. Being also a sport he took it as a big joke and would laugh throughout the proceedings.
And when he left everybody in the pub waited, then when the cop car followed him everybody ran to their cars

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Drug suspects trapped in container call Antwerp police for help

Two men got locked in a metal container full of cocaine on the hottest day on record

Two suspected drug traffickers were forced to call the police on themselves after getting locked in stifling heat in a shipping container packed with cocaine at the port of Antwerp.

The two men, aged 24 and 25, had to make an emergency call to the police, during which they said they had been “trapped” while trying to take possession of the drugs.

It took two hours for the police to locate the correct container at the port of Antwerp, which is the second largest in the world.

Armed police opened the container to find the men stripped to their waists and dehydrated in the extreme heat of last week.

The men became stuck last Wednesday, on one of the hottest days recorded in Belgium with temperatures exceeding 40C. On being released they had cold water thrown over them to bring down their temperatures. They were not fit for immediate interrogation.
Antwerp seems to be the port of choice for drug smugglers

In June, two men, aged 33 and 35, were arrested from a container at the same location after being discovered by dockers who had locked them up. About 882 kilos of cocaine was found.

A total of 50 tonnes of cocaine with a street value of €2.5bn was seized at the port in 2018, compared to 8.1 tonnes in 2014. A further 4.4 tonnes of heroin was seized, along with 16.8 tonnes of cannabis and 8 tonnes of opiates.