• Hello Everyone,
    We will be updating the forums software and server this coming Sunday (26th May 2019).
    During the following times, the system may reboot or be unavailable for a few minutes:
    1300 - 1445 MDT
    1500 - 1645 EDT
    1900 - 2045 GMT

Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
I'd say that they are intentional, and that they were made for the Ostman(?) Segment which Patterson would have been very likely to include in his aborted film.
That is most likely. In his book (which preceded the PGF), Patterson advertised membership to a "Bigfoot Club". Patrons were meant to receive 2 LPs containing interviews with Bigfoot witnesses, including the female Ostman sighting.

It is possible that that is where the idea came from. Also, it doesn't appear that these records ever were produced and shipped to the paying customers.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Good point ... It hadn't occurred to me Patterson may have been intending to include the Ostman story in his film's script.

Speaking of which ... How much (if anything) do we know of the planned film's script or storyboard?
Nothing that I'm aware of. All I can recall is the still with Bob Gimlin as an Indian.

By chance the other day I spoke to someone and he asked me if I'd seen a few sequences from the second reel, the casting segment. I told him I'd never seen it to which he replied that he'd have a look to see if he could fish it out.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
That is most likely. In his book (which preceded the PGF), Patterson advertised membership to a "Bigfoot Club". Patrons were meant to receive 2 LPs containing interviews with Bigfoot witnesses, including the female Ostman sighting.

It is possible that that is where the idea came from. Also, it doesn't appear that these records ever were produced and shipped to the paying customers.
I'm not that surprised to hear the Bigfoot Club never got their records.

There's also the drawing he did of the female bigfoot, a year or so before the film was supposed to have been shot. I thought it was of the Ostman encounter but someone corrected me and said it was another guy's sighting.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Good point ... It hadn't occurred to me Patterson may have been intending to include the Ostman story in his film's script.

Speaking of which ... How much (if anything) do we know of the planned film's script or storyboard?
Just to add, if there ever was a storyboard or script details it sounds likely that if either did contain a reference to a female bigfoot segment it might well be better for P, G, and DeAtley if it didn't surface.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
By chance the other day I spoke to someone and he asked me if I'd seen a few sequences from the second reel, the casting segment. I told him I'd never seen it to which he replied that he'd have a look to see if he could fish it out.
That would be great!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Really enjoying the Astonishing Legends Podcast - they do their homework, don't always agree but they really do their homework.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
(Assuming Patty was a person in a suit / costume ... )

I'm not sure the suit was intended to reflect a female. The female attribution is most commonly associated with what appear to be breasts. Others have commented that the presumed suit is too large for the person inside, causing the apparent folding or 'baggy-ness' in the shoulders, torso, and hip areas.

In other words, the female attribution may be a side-effect of a baggy suit, rather than an intended feature.
Very lucky side effect that it happened to turn into female boobs!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Well, I listened up to Part 2 and I am very disappointed. The bias this time is overwhelming. Anything that points to a hoax is being glazed over, particularly Patterson's dodgy dealings. And the general thrust of the argument is that "because it's on an analog film, it must be real".

That's "wanting to belief", but not serious research..
It's serious research in its way as it explores all the people involved as well the technology involved as well - better than anything else I've heard.

Not saying it's right but you can't argue that they don't put the hours in.

Also, people are not that simple - hoaxers, murky pasts? Most of us have something we are not particularly proud of - doesn't mean we are all liars or don't find something weird,

Open mind anyone?

edit: Also how many podcasts, shows or magazines are going this in depth?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
There's also the drawing he did of the female bigfoot, a year or so before the film was supposed to have been shot. I thought it was of the Ostman encounter but someone corrected me and said it was another guy's sighting.
Probably based on William Roe's drawing - Patterson was well aware of both accounts.
7560429_orig.jpg