• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I was just talking about this with an extremely well-versed cryptid researcher the other day. It's just amazing that the stabilization of the PGF resulted in people saying that it clinched their opinion of it being real/being faked in almost equal measures to the same great degree. Believing is seeing.

I still say, no matter what the truth is, Roger Patterson was an extremely lucky guy on this occasion.

A very interesting report on this film, with the author using precise measurements, from 2017. He claims that "the suggestion that this is merely an average man(70 inches tall) in a fur suit is untenable".

THE PATTERSON/GIMLIN FILM – SOME NOTEWORTHY INSIGHTS
https://www.isu.edu/media/libraries/rhi/brief-communications/Murphy_PGFilmInsights.pdf
I found that a very interesting read and to my mind, well written. It adds weight to my own personal conviction that the film is genuine.

It's good to have you back posting again Ronnie.

Interesting read here and especially about water bags in the suit to simulate movement under the skin…

I worked at CBS and we took the film up there. I put it on my Movieola and we went back and forth with it and went frame by frame. We gave it a really good and an honest shot, we really did. We projected it over and over and our honest opinion, from having worked in gorilla suits, was that it was a guy in a sumt. The way it moved, it obviously looked like it had what we call a waterbag in the stomach area which is an old trick that Charlie Gemora, the greatest apeman ever, I think, devised for his suit back in the '30s. That's the sort of liquid stomach thing to make it look like real flesh when you wiggle around. Of course John would have known about the waterbag because he knew Charlie Gemora. I certainly consider Gemora-and so does Rick-the best gorilla man ever. His suits were the best. John Chambers had to know him because he finished his career over at Paramount as the head of their makeup department.

http://www.strangemag.com/chambers17.html

Interesting read here and especially about water bags in the suit to simulate movement under the skin…

http://www.strangemag.com/chambers17.html
'water bags in the suit to simulate movement under the skin…'

Then ball bearings in the foam rubber suit to simulate movement under the Henrietta demon skin suit by F/X artist Marc Shostrum in the 80's for Evil Dead 2 ..

Last edited:
I'm in a quandary here. I believe that the probability of the PG film being genuine is on the plus side. However, to the best of my knowledge we haven't seen anything since which is anywhere near as clear.

so, is the PG film a very good fake? Is Bigfoot still out there but no one has managed to get anything more than distant, badly focused photographs and films?

Very rare creatures, the snow leopard, the javan rhino etc etc have been clearly filmed and photographed.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if the PG film is genuine that bigfoot is now extinct, which makes me very sad.

I'm in a quandary here. I believe that the probability of the PG film being genuine is on the plus side. However, to the best of my knowledge we haven't seen anything since which is anywhere near as clear.

so, is the PG film a very good fake? Is Bigfoot still out there but no one has managed to get anything more than distant, badly focused photographs and films?

Very rare creatures, the snow leopard, the javan rhino etc etc have been clearly filmed and photographed.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if the PG film is genuine that bigfoot is now extinct, which makes me very sad.
You make a very good point. It is nearly half a century since I first saw stills of this film in magazines and books and perhaps forty years since I first saw the actual film on a tv documentary and back then its seemed like the next such film was just around the corner. That we haven't had such clear footage in the intervening years makes me lean towards a clever hoax, or as you suggest, we gave Bigfoot smallpox or whatever, just as us Europeans inadvertently decimated the indigenous populations of North and South America.

But fliming some of these things is incredibly difficult

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...imalayas, where,film the elusive snow leopard.

To get shots of the snow leopard tooks months of work with 20 remote cameras, this was by professionals throwing quite a lot of money at it rather than some amateurs pissing about at the weekend. Those who are approaching the subject in a professional manner are likely to be severely underfunded and suffering from the effects of the aforementioned amateurs descending on a recent sighting location and scaring anything nearby off.

You make a very good point. It is nearly half a century since I first saw stills of this film in magazines and books and perhaps forty years since I first saw the actual film on a tv documentary and back then its seemed like the next such film was just around the corner. That we haven't had such clear footage in the intervening years makes me lean towards a clever hoax, or as you suggest, we gave Bigfoot smallpox or whatever, just as us Europeans inadvertently decimated the indigenous populations of North and South America.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/mbjbXZqSmhG7j2l8KWYphC/snow-leopard-camera-traps#:~:text=Director Justin Anderson sets out,high mountains of the world.&text=Nowhere was the challenge greater than in the Himalayas, where,film the elusive snow leopard.

To get shots of the snow leopard tooks months of work with 20 remote cameras, this was by professionals throwing quite a lot of money at it rather than some amateurs pissing about at the weekend. Those who are approaching the subject in a professional manner are likely to be severely underfunded and suffering from the effects of the aforementioned amateurs descending on a recent sighting location and scaring anything nearby off.
As I may have said elsewhere people accept Snow Leoaprds exist so are more likely to fund what as @gordonrutter says an expensive expedition to film them. I doubt whether the same money and or effort has been put into filming Bigfoot. Also the lunatics running round the woods for a couple of hours screaming and banging logs against trees don't help any serious approaches for funding. I wonder what the result would be if someone like Bigelow funded a proper two year expedition in the Pacific Northwest.

There are a couple of films which don't look too bad. Can't remember the name now, but a chap who spent a lot of time trying to film one got a shot of one on a trail, not as clear as Patty but looked convincing.

It's also difficult now to remember the state of filming, special effects, etc. when Patty was filmed.

As I may have said elsewhere people accept Snow Leoaprds exist so are more likely to fund what as @gordonrutter says an expensive expedition to film them. I doubt whether the same money and or effort has been put into filming Bigfoot. Also the lunatics running round the woods for a couple of hours screaming and banging logs against trees don't help any serious approaches for funding. I wonder what the result would be if someone like Bigelow funded a proper two year expedition in the Pacific Northwest.

There are a couple of films which don't look too bad. Can't remember the name now, but a chap who spent a lot of time trying to film one got a shot of one on a trail, not as clear as Patty but looked convincing.

It's also difficult now to remember the state of filming, special effects, etc. when Patty was filmed.
Agree with you as regards the noise so many Bigfooters make, even in the better documentaries such as Small Town Monsters produce. They rock up in 4x4s, chatter, light fires, knock on trees, shine torches... Very few of them seem prepared to hike in on foot or by horse as Patterson and Gimlin did and if there are Bigfoot-type creatures they will have heard and smelt these humans long before they had unpacked their thermal imaging cameras

Personally I find myself flip-flopping between excited believer and mildly skeptical on this one, although it amuses me how often the footage is dismissed as hoax by skeptics (eg Metabunk) without proving how it was hoaxed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/mbjbXZqSmhG7j2l8KWYphC/snow-leopard-camera-traps#:~:text=Director Justin Anderson sets out,high mountains of the world.&text=Nowhere was the challenge greater than in the Himalayas, where,film the elusive snow leopard.

There's a chap called Tashi in Nepal who takes some of the best snow leopard pics I have personally seen with only a couple of trailcam. Loads of hunters run 20-30-40-50 trailcams in the States to "pattern" decent antlered deer, no pics of bigfoot whatsoever.

The location of the Patterson-Gimlin film is not so remote, at least anymore, it's close to a maintained dirt road:
https://bluffcreekproject.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_22.html
"From the parking area at the berm the film site is a short 30-45 minute walk. It is suitable and safe for families and children but not recommended for people who people who have bad knees or trouble walking. We have had 400lb people hike down and back fine, as well as people in their 80s. The greatest risk is slipping and rolling your ankle. "

Driving and hiking to the location (they reach the spot at around 16 minutes into the video)

There's a chap called Tashi in Nepal who takes some of the best snow leopard pics I have personally seen with only a couple of trailcam. Loads of hunters run 20-30-40-50 trailcams in the States to "pattern" decent antlered deer, no pics of bigfoot whatsoever.
Could bigfoot, if it is some sort of hominid be able to avoid trail cams? Not because it knows what they are but just because they stink of H sapiens and BF wants out of our way. Has anyone set up cams that are disguised properly and in areas that are rarely visited by anyone and left them for a year or two?
I'm really undecided on Patty, but I've not seen anyone come close to duplicating the footage using the tech of the time even some using more up to date tech make a hash of it. They then, as @paulexeter says say it's a fake.
Films that don't show the gait or duplicate rhe iconic, over the shoulder, look also sound alarm bells.

Could bigfoot, if it is some sort of hominid be able to avoid trail cams? Not because it knows what they are but just because they stink of H sapiens and BF wants out of our way. Has anyone set up cams that are disguised properly and in areas that are rarely visited by anyone and left them for a year or two?
Does BigFoot have better olfactory senses than other wild man fearing animals in the states including jaguar and puma?Trailcam are often left for months,I had one that had a solar panel so no need for regular battery changes.

Does BigFoot have better olfactory senses than other wild man fearing animals in the states including jaguar and puma?Trailcam are often left for months,I had one that had a solar panel so no need for regular battery changes.
Who knows? But if it exists it may be more intelligent than other animals that would rather stay out of our way. It still seems unlikely that it would manage to avoid every trail cam but it may be less likely to be caught on one than other critters.

Solar panel cams do sound a better bet than one that has to be visited regularly and as for the TV programmes where they crash about all day in order to set one up for one or two nights; I'm surprised they film anything.

Who knows? But if it exists it may be more intelligent than other animals that would rather stay out of our way. It still seems unlikely that it would manage to avoid every trail cam but it may be less likely to be caught on one than other critters.

Solar panel cams do sound a better bet than one that has to be visited regularly and as for the TV programmes where they crash about all day in order to set one up for one or two nights; I'm surprised they film anything.
Maybe BigFoot is sensitive to the EMR given off by trail cams?

as for the TV programmes where they crash about all day in order to set one up for one or two nights; I'm surprised they film anything.
They always seem to star eccentric oddities who don’t really know their way around wilderness and are a certain type of eccentric.

I watched this film yesterday,two totally naked redneck lesbians having some fun in the woods shoot a baby Bigfoot who is spying on them :chuckle: then hell is unleashed.

There is always that possibly.

If the trail cam EMF is shielded, then the trail cam wouldn't work as a trail cam
?
EAB1CEB8-802C-4F29-B6B0-FBAE0BC0A030.jpeg

Or maybe Bigfoot doesn’t exist?
Maybe; but a tragedy would be to find that they did exist in the 1960s and have now died out. I always wonder what effect the Mt St Helens eruption had/would have had on any population in the area.

I have never seen the grainy original film and I agree it is hard to tell anything at all.

I guess it is real or a tall woman or man paid a fortune to dress up in a fur outfit.

There are so many enhanced and edited versions out there and there’s a danger the original may get lost in all the noise. Here’s the original unedited on wiki…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Patterson_Gimlin_Bigfoot_Film_Unedited.webm
In the same vein, here is a 1967 interview with the two men:

"Todd from The Sasquatch Archives posted this interview but the audio was so bad I cleaned it up and reposted it. Todd posts some cool archive content. Check out his channel here / thesasquatcharchives On October 26, 1967, Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin were interviewed on radio by Jack Webster in Vancouver, following the showing of the Patterson-Gimlin film at the University of British Columbia that same evening. Fortunately, John Green had a copy of the interview in his cassette tape collection. He graciously permitted me to make a copy of the recording and all of his other cassette recordings as well. These will later be added to this channel.Until now, and after a long 53 years, the interview had not been made public."

About the interviewer:

"Webster was an old school newsman who didn't put up with anyone who he sussed out as a liar or a fake. He won many awards for journalism and was considered a totally solid reporter by any standard. Webster had a style of interviewing, shotgun style, repeating the same question, slightly changed coming from different angles, that would confuse the person being interviewed and illuminate any comments that appeared to be untruths. This interview took place in BC a week or so after the encounter was filmed so the recall of the event should have been as clear as possible given the unbelievable circumstance of the events. Wikipedia has a good bio on Jack Webster reporter (Glasgow - Vancouver)."

[from the comments]

Read it,apparently that trail cam with EMF shielding material does work as a trail cam.
I don't want to derail the thread but EMR is how the trail cam works. It's like if shielding is put all around a mobile phone, it won't be able to send or receive a signal.

Back