• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

No, but I would have sworn that someone wasn't all there.

Last night I was looking at the news and interrupted Mrs Talk And Talk's current lecture with a remark about the little Liverpool girl who was shot, mentioning that her last words were that she was frightened.

Mrs T'n'T replied with kids today are ALL frightened, it's a dangerous world, who can blame them, they all stay indoors, they never go out, they don't climb trees, when I was a child I climbed trees, kids now don't do anything to build up their immune systems, they will grow up and die of horrible diseases... on and on, nonstop, for five minutes or more.
In your shoes Ms Escargot I would have been tempted to secretly record Mrs T'n'T and used a transcription of the verbiage to write a play. With a little tweaking it could be brilliant. And hilarious.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but the story of the girl who could 'make things happen' and who seemed old beyond her years just made me think that she had been sexually abused from a very early age. I;ve seen it before in (usually) girls who have been forced into precocious sexual situations - an almost unnatural confidence. As though the worst has already happened, so everything else must be better...

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but the story of the girl who could 'make things happen' and who seemed old beyond her years just made me think that she had been sexually abused from a very early age. I;ve seen it before in (usually) girls who have been forced into precocious sexual situations - an almost unnatural confidence. As though the worst has already happened, so everything else must be better...
Yup, when I worked in kids' homes we could spot girls who'd been forced into precocious sexual situations first by an air of confidence, which we knew to be actually bravado, and secondly by how they treated female and male staff differently.
They were already behaving like sex workers.

I had a 17 year old working for me last year who was most chatty when she could see I was trying to concentrate on something. She did this to all the staff but as an older man, I wasn't going to look good by telling her to fuck off so I just learned to zone out when I was cashing up or something similar (the business owner ended up letting me send her home early in the end so I could concentrate instead).

One day, she proudly told me that she knew all the lyrics to a certain Eminem song, I can't remember which one but I like a bit of Eminem. She said do you want to hear it!? and her face lit up so I didn't have the heart to say no ..

"Go on then, if you must"

"c;opfewfjoisiucncidsnidcidsbcincowcvnvfedvnrgjetrhknhghjfhroghntgighnrighnrgghnirnhivnharnfrvegnjjgrgjhtjgnrogrpngvnporgotrbhverdygcgqwywtrvfq *breathe* axskmijkcdjhncbvbfgyyweybcbmneiowioqwiohenccckcnckckncx,m,cmnax *breathe* plbrbxmkq,owpokjrgrdjuhankp,qwconivkxqovpprpp (etc etc etc) .... absolutely no rhythm whatsoever, the only pauses were so she could breath back in as she started slowly walking towards me. This went on for ages. I think she was just trying to deliberately piss me off, sort of like that thing when someone sings "I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on you nerves, get on your nerves (repeat) .. you couldn't even work out the lyrics.

I couldn't help but give her dagger eyes in the end just to shut her up. I ended up cancelling her last ever shift just so I could close the business down for the end of season on peace.

Yup, in sociological terms you are performing a very important societal function there; sustaining weak ties. :)

Chatting amicably with strangers or people we don't know well is reassuring and educational.

If we spoke and interacted solely with people we know, we'd be socially isolated and possibly under coercive control of some sort.
This is achieved by cults and extreme religious communities through the permitting of only strong ties.

Humans need a mixture of strong and weak ties to function well in society.

Weak Tie Theory - justifying gossiping with randoms since 1973. :wink2:
Excellent, thanks for mentioning that, I just learnt a new thing. Makes sense of my personal notion that markets perform some sociological function that's nearly baked into our DNA. It's a weak tie thing.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for mentioning that, I just leant a new thing. Makes sense of my personal notion that markets perform some sociological function that's nearly baked into our DNA. It's a weak tie thing.
Weak/strong ties are like a revelation.
You could very well disappear down a rabbit hole of ties. :)

Excellent, thanks for mentioning that, I just learnt a new thing. Makes sense of my personal notion that markets perform some sociological function that's nearly baked into our DNA. It's a weak tie thing.
This was something that I really missed during lockdown. The staff in "non essential" shops. Folk on the bus. All that stuff.

This was something that I really missed during lockdown. The staff in "non essential" shops. Folk on the bus. All that stuff.
Weak ties. Friendly greetings, good manners, tiny helpful actions, being pleasant to serve. Fitting in on a superficial level. Showing highly developed social skills. Giving an air of trustworthiness.
These processes are just as important as the strong ties we see in family bonds and friendship. We need them to feel safe.

Weak ties. Friendly greetings, good manners, tiny helpful actions, being pleasant to serve. Fitting in on a superficial level. Showing highly developed social skills. Giving an air of trustworthiness.
These processes are just as important as the strong ties we see in family bonds and friendship. We need them to feel safe.

Interesting. I offer two generalisations (which are always dangerous and I don't fit one of them, for example)

* Autistics tend not to see, expect, offer etc etc these weak ties. Vast variation in individuals.

* Autistics often report a feeling of being on the wrong planet, being perceived as untrustworthy, and feeling unsafe in society at large.

Interesting. I offer two generalisations (which are always dangerous and I don't fit one of them, for example)

* Autistics tend not to see, expect, offer etc etc these weak ties. Vast variation in individuals.

* Autistics often report a feeling of being on the wrong planet, being perceived as untrustworthy, and feeling unsafe in society at large.
So to some autistics 'weak-tie' interchanges appear to have no point, reason or necessity?

So to some autistics 'weak-tie' interchanges appear to have no point, reason or necessity?

yes, to some. Mostly we just don't notice or expect them. It's not a conscious thing.

Most of us accept the need intellectually and many of us go out of our way to engage in what @escargot has termed weak ties becuase we know they matter to other people.

I think it's partly why we get the lack of empathy label? We have oodles of empathy (mostly) it's just triggered and expressed differently so it comes across as a defecit?

Just like non-autistics, then?

We breathe too. Not sure what your point is although you do often make similar one line comments on autism. I apologise for not including the entire literature - diagnostic, clinical, reported, signs & symptoms etcetcetc - in a short post on a non-autism thread. Am very happy to debate any and all aspects of course. We do have an autism thread!

:twothumbs:

what @escargot has termed weak ties
I didn't come up with the term. It was coined by Mark S. Granovetter, explained in his 1973 American Journal of Sociology paper:

The Strength of Weak Ties

The weak ties are the often transient relationships between individuals who are strangers or acquaintances rather than closer friends and relations.
These relationships are expressed through minor interactions and courtesies.

As @catseye and @Min Bannister find, weak ties are important for our wellbeing.

My (adult) kid with autism works in retail and he's a total showman! Went in his shop recently and he was centre of attention, demonstrating something (they make a product whilst the customers watch, sometimes) - absolutely fearless and funny as feck - can find him on Instagram doing the same and it's usually him that they're filming... And of course, I realised - he's spent his entire life masking - of course he'd be good at retail. He has a great way with customers. I'd just want to tw*t them after half an hour or so.

The weak ties are the often transient relationships between individuals who are strangers or acquaintances rather than closer friends and relations.
These relationships are expressed through minor interactions and courtesies.

As @catseye and @Min Bannister find, weak ties are important for our wellbeing.
I was out and about today and started thinking about your initial remark on weak ties Escargot. Made me realize that these short, friendly exchanges enable us to feel safe in the world among people we don't know. Without these demonstrations of friendly intentions and behavior, we wouldn't know if we could trust the strangers around us or not. When people are isolated, they receive no evidence that those unknown people are not a threat.

I enjoy interacting with people who are autistic. You know exactly where you stand with them and, when you know how to listen to someone who is autistic, they do express interest and caring for people. You just have to take time to listen. Every day small talk, they may not be interested in, but often, I find small talk tiring.

Back